Null's Game

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
User avatar
Scatterbrain Jane
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Scatterbrain Jane » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:42 pm

Half-smiling at Arc's tangent, Nadia shared his concerns about the situation - Although perhaps for different reasons. When Elvenblade asked if there were any further questions, Nadia slowly stood up and asked for clarification. "Do we have any leads? Are task forces going to be composed and sent to various locations? I have the feeling giving everyone free reign through the lands in what amounts to a bounty hunt while looking for someone who can look like anyone could have disastrous effects." In fact, it would be certain disaster depending on what sort of leeway they were given during this witch hunt - Not many were versed in the cultures of others and all it would take it one foolish alchemist deciding that an elven farmer's work clothes looked odd to lead to a relations disaster.

Those were the majority of the issues that Nadia felt needed answers, and she sat down after she received them. Something else about the situation seemed a little off, too - For someone who was supposedly tried to bring another war between the races, this Null had inadvertently united them against a common foe.

User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:13 pm

Elvenblade shifts, the slightest smile crossing her lips. "Many of your detachments will be assigned a specific place to search, along with information of what the Null agent in the area is reported to look like. Even though this is something of a multi-national task force, you'll still be fully expected to remain within the constraints of national laws as much as possible!"

..It seems a few of the other groups are a little disappointed at that.

"Further-" Elvenblade says- "We have been unable to confirm anything that Null has provided. It's possible the entire thing is made up."

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:29 pm

At Elvenblade's comment, Kyrie glances up to the platform, toying with that letter. With a thoughtful expression, she speaks up, just loudly enough to be heard clearly. "Would we have opportunity to request an assignment for our detachment? And as important as I have to agree this is, I don't think anyone here would be surprised to hear me ask; what sort of bounty are you offering?"

User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Elvenblade nods. "If you have a specific request, take it up with one of the dispatchers. I'm sure something can be arranged. The bounty...Well, I think it will be best to leave it up to your imagination."

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:45 pm

She smiles at the snicker likely to come about at her second question, and nods to Elvenblade. Opening the letter, she leans in and, while keeping appearances of watching the platform, places it in the center of the table where the others can see it plainly. It's obviously official, bearing both the seal of the King of Wells and the seal of Elvenblade herself. Written in flourished script, they can pick out a simple statement from the middle of the report: "Intel suggests that the next appearance of Null will be in Garpaath."

Kyrie speaks in a low voice, a slight smile as she keeps her focus on the platform. "I wouldn't ask where I got this, but it is legitimate. I'd like to find this group, and I'd like the best shot at that I can get. If the rest of you want the best shot too, I'd listen to this."

User avatar
Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Besyanteo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:28 pm

Guy had been looking fairly disappointed as the proceedings had continued. The information they'd been offered, while better than nothing, was hardly a substantial base for tracking someone down. He listened patiently as other people asked questions and received answers, but they still hadn't gleaned any kind of lead on where they might start... And then Kyrie pulled out a letter. His eyes were drawn to the flourished statement, and he looked up from it at Kyrie in genuine surprise.

I wouldn't ask where I got this... He'd need to keep an eye on this one. All the same, matching Kyrie's tone:

"Color me interested."

User avatar
Tazkar
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Tazkar » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:25 pm

The City Elf rather suddenly snorted and jerked awake after having dozed off for a few moments, giving a cough, "Nulls, bounty....right right."

Talorn looked around before blinking several times and directing his attention back towards Elvenblade for a moment. Assuming the normal stance of anyone that dozes off and wakes with a start, just go on as if nothing had happened. Though his gaze eventually found its way towards the letter upon the table raising a brow at it curiously but staying silent.

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:00 pm

Kyrie looks around the group thoughtfully. "Is everyone else in agreement then? The more of us there are together, the better the chance we've got of coming out on top. Never worked with this many people, but I'm willing to do it for this."

User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:34 pm

(Just a heads up, I'm gonna be resuming this within the next few days. Sorry for the HUGE delay, had some problems ot work out. Slippy, for the time being, will not be rejoining us, as he's in New York, trying to offload his free play tickets.)

User avatar
Oleai
Oh, Hi!
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Enter: Oleai

Unread postby Oleai » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:40 pm

(( Excuse the long post, as I get Oleai caught up. ))

Oleai Canyonsunder had spent the night in the attic of a general goods store, in which she'd found temporary employment. Cantiga was the largest city she'd ever been in.. the ONLY city she'd ever been in. Following a faux pas involving her 'borrowing' some equipment for the road, the gentle shopkeeper, a man named Monroe, had decided to take in the unusual (and clearly far from home) Plainsrunner. She'd found the attic to be a very uncomfortable place to sleep, always preferring to be under the open sky when she lay her head down for rest - but this was safe.

She awoke to the sound of talons on the rooftop! Startled, Oleai slowly opened a nearby hatch that led above; sticking her long ears out to listen, before finally taking a peek in earnest. A pair of Skyrazors! With Elves ontop of them! She'd seen a few of them in the preceding days, but never this close! She fidgeted excitedly.

"So what do you think about this whole...get together Talorn?" One of the Elves said to the other. He was nearby a Green Razorbeak.

"First time in a long while I've gone somewhere and not almost gotten shot or stabbed at first sight. Personally wondering how long until a tumble breaks out, amazed that everything is almost busy as usual for most." Talorn replied, sitting up on what was one of the most beautiful creatures Oleai had ever seen! A royal purple Razorbeak that just seemed to have an 'air' about her. Oleai would've said something, if not for Monroe's call.

"Bunny! Get on down 'ere and help!"

She then turned her attention toward the city below, all the crowds of people and so many heading up toward the Castle. That familiar curious excitement made her legs twitch, and down the hatch she went - Closing it as silently as she could as not to attract the two Elves. Scurrying over to her backpack, she quickly drew out her old garb. Strapping on the top on the loincloth before bounding downstairs, skipping two steps at a time. The shop was simply overrun with patrons! Oleai's ears perking up and eyes going wide at the number of people perusing Monroe's wares.

"Hi Monroe! What's all the going-about .. about?" Oleai asked as she closed the gap between herself and the shopkeeper - Already the Lagomora was drawing eyes; and it didn't help one bit she forgot her robe upstairs.
"Hi Oleai" He replied, mimicing her, "No idear! But the money's great!" Monroe exclaimed, drawing a few looks from the patrons. "Go on an' get tae work, Bunny."

With a nod and a giggle, Oleai set to greeting customers and selling wares. The whole concept was foreign to her, at first. These little coins and pieces of paper hardly seemed worth giving away such fine things for - But Monroe assured her it was worth it. Still, it helped that he'd forced her to memorize the 'acceptable' prices for every item in the store. Leading to a slightly awkward delay as she ran through the numbers in her head each time she was asked a price.

A red-haired and quite-tan man had approached her, asking for a simple knife and a jug of water and some dried meat. The knife was one of Oleai's, she had insisted Monroe take in exchange for the job and the room. The fact he'd put it up for sale so soon after made her sad, but it was his to do with what he wished. "Hehe, I've never seen such red hair! It's really handsome!" She'd flirted a bit, idle and going nowhere, the man had soon left with his purchases and things began to calm. The Crowd outside seemed to be moving toward the Castle faster now. Whatever this was, it -HAD- to be important.

"Monroe! I wanna go see what's going on. Is that okay?" She hopped back and forth in place, from one foot to the other, excitedly. Monroe took a look around the shop, and with a kind smile he agreed.

Oleai bounded upstairs, simply leaping up the flight of stairs in lieu of actually climbing them. She packed all of her belongings into the backpack, taking some time to adorn herself with all the fancy tribal jewelry she'd managed to bring from home. Pulling on her Windspeaker cloak, and hanging her inscribed-tambourine off a hip, she trotted back downstairs to offer Monroe a sweet kiss to the forehead before wandering out into the bustling city street.

The noise was unheard of! She'd been in crowds before, but it was the diversity that got to the out-of-place Plainsrunner here. No time to waste!, she thought. Beginning a light jog up the hill (Read light jog as about 20mph) - blowing past the crowds and drawing out shouts and stares from the various groups. Everyone moved so slow! The Castle gates, flanked on all sides by guard posts and long queues of people waiting to get in. Oleai waggled her fingers before leaping upward as high as she could. Fanning her arms out and with a small breath of air, and an exertion of her will to summon forth an updraft - The air catching her parachute-like cloak and holding her aloft briefly as she looked everything over. There was Elvenblade, who seemed to be taking a group of people to one side for some kind of special inspection. "Graaaw!" A sharp cry from behind her, as one of the patrolling Skyrazors comes a little too close for comfort. About time to descend! Oleai parachutes down, catching the attention of nearly the whole crowd. Elvenblade was with that group in the back, and now seemed as good a time as any to approach the front.

Oleai bounded through the queue, "Hehe! Sorry! Excuse me! I don't wait on lines, pardon me." Until she'd reached the front, the angry protests from the crowd behind her weren't too forward, as most just seemed surprised to see a Lagomora at all! Let alone one like Oleai. Stopping just behind the front of the line to 'wait her turn.' When the time came, she approached the guard with a large smile on her face.

The guard raises his head, appraising the Lagomora down his nose, holding himself in such a way that he can be sure she'd notice the guns holstered at his waist. He raises the clipboard, looking at her with a practiced bored expression. "You know the drill. Name, associations, who you represent..."

Oleai went wide-eyed for a moment. She had no idea what 'the drill' was, but patted her sides to feel for anything she could use to identify herself, anyway. It didn't help she was in her loincloth and cloak, silently cursing the backpack left back in the attic. Aha! "Oleai Canyonsunder! I.. Well, here!" She lifted the tambourine with both hands to thrust forward at the guard. The burnt-in Plainsrunner emblem clear on it's skin.

He raises a brow at the presentation, turning back to his roster and scanning through the names. "Didn't know any of you folks were getting involved in the hunt."

After a moment, he frowns, flipping the pages once, twice, before shaking his head. "I don't have any reps for the Plainsrunners here, but I'm also not looking to start any trouble and get sunk by Elvenblade for not letting a deligate through." He moves out of the way motioning her forward. "Straight ahead, through the giant doors, and straight up the main corridor. You can't miss it."

Oleai shot the guardsman a wink, and bounded past at her usual speedy pace. A slight hop to her step. The hunt? What does that mean? Oh, I hope this is something big!

She'd found herself soon thereafter in the great hall, -just- in time for the briefing to begin. Her large ears pointed up toward the stage as Elvenblade explained the situation. Oleai nestling both her fists under her chin to listen, side-stepping into a quiet corner near a table of oddly-familiar people. The briefing complete, Oleai finally recognized the man from her shop earlier, and that Elf from the rooftop! She'd glanced around the table, making a bit of a face at the Nekana amongst their party. Her people never trusted the Nekana, though Oleai had never met one personally. Monroe would always send Oleai to the back if one happened into his store.

The Nekana had some secret info, a head-start beyond everyone else gathered in the great hall. If this 'Null' lady was as dangerous as they say, and the bounty anything we could imagine? This could verywell be Oleai's ticket home. The Lagomora woman took two long strides over to the table just as the Nekana spoke, "Is everyone else in agreement then? The more of us there are together, the better the chance we've got of coming out on top. Never worked with this many people, but I'm willing to do it for this."

Lowering her hands, she spoke up to interject. "I'm in!" She exclaimed, doing her best to smile, despite the nervous shifting of her legs.

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:28 pm

Not used to being surprised, Kyrie glances over with a start at the unrecognized voice, glancing over the Lagomora near the table. She silently curses herself a bit for being so easily overheard, though of course with Lagomora it's hard not to be. Brightly-colored, fidgety, and far too cheerful, in any other situation she'd usually be the last person she'd want to travel with. Still, she was just saying how these circumstances are exceptional...

After a perhaps too long pause, she finally speaks up, a very slight furrow to her brow. "...and who are you? You weren't at the sign-in. How much did you hear?"

User avatar
Oleai
Oh, Hi!
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Oleai » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:41 pm

Oleai's ears drooped a bit, it could be the stories about the Nekana were true. This one didn't seem too friendly. Blissfully ignorant of the fact blatant eavesdropped is considered rude, Oleai speaks up. "Well.. Something about a letter you have that you.." She lowers her voice, realizing it likely best not to attract attention. "... don't want others to -know- you have. This Null character sounds dangerous, and working together -would- be preferential to working alone..." Oleai gave a nervous look around the table, realizing she hadn't introduced herself yet, she gives a small apologetic bow of her head, long ears flopping forward and back in the process.

"I'm Oleai Canyonsunder." Glancing about, she pulls an empty seat from a nearby table over, and sits down. "I can help! I've seen some of you around town.. But I didn't get any names."

Her ears perk suddenly, a grin on her face. "I can be useful!" She reaches out to the table, taking a fork and balancing it atop it's prongs briefly, before letting it go. Just as it is about to fall, she holds both her hands around it at a fair distance, a small vortex of wind forming between her palms and holding the fork balanced upright. Oleai offers a grin, "I used to be a Windspeaker!" She proclaims proudly, as if ANYONE at the table would know what that meant. Though it did clearly mean this Lagomora could handle magic of some variety.

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:55 pm

"Hmm." Keeping her expression staid, Kyrie looks about the others at the table, letting them speak up on the matter first before she makes any firm comments one way or another. Though at the least, she does appear a bit more relaxed now on the sudden appearance of this new member.

Herrackman
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Herrackman » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:07 pm

Arc looked up, and after offering Oleai a precursory, wide-eyed glance, directed his sight to one of the far corners of the room, as the nearly-shouted words spilled forth from his mouth like a river. "Wind? Wind speaker!? Nothing but a lot of hollering, I imagine, Aaahhhhhhh I'm the winnnnnnnnnd aahhhhhhh~. Although, would it be hollering? Hollering depends largely on short bursts from the lungs, and the wind doesn't necessarily possess lungs- circumventing the entire lung-source, someone could talk forever, one pump for vocalization and another to fill and empty the lungs, for orators..."

Gradually, his voice died down into a quiet whisper, a slow tilt to his head growing more pronounced with each thoughtful nod to himself. Finally, he stopped, his neck craned owl-like for all of 5 seconds, interrupted by a snap back to normal and a violent, but nearly silent, fit of activity. Arc fussed around him, grasping at napkins, forks, tablecloth, even a wild grab for a corner of Kyrie's top.

Inevitably unsuccessful, he merely settled for scribbling with his finger by dipping it in wine. If one could see it through his wild eyes, it would seem to be a depiction of an operation to open up someone's throat, place what amounted to a bellows down either side of the trachea, and a scribbled line of speech coming from the fellow's mouth. To see it through any other eyes, however, it was a man frantically staining the tablecloth indelibly in new and excitingly incoherent ways.

Satisfied with both his depiction, and with mortifying the neighbors to their table, he leaned back and adjusted his goggles to once more cover his eyes. "I don't see why not. Worst comes to worst, she can make people fall down a flight of kicks... though..." His head began to tilt again, and his lips began to move in a silent murmur to himself, offset only by the occasional glance at Oleai's legs, his mouth betraying a facial expression halfway between evaluative and indignant.

User avatar
Oleai
Oh, Hi!
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Oleai » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:20 pm

Oleai gave a small fit of giggles at Arc's antics, leaning forward in her chair to watch what he wrote on the tablecloth. A small delight at watching the funny Alchemist nab at the Nekana's shirt; no doubt causing a bit of a fuss for the cat.

Oleai runs a hand through her hair, folding her ears back in the process, causing them to bounce back up into place. "Hehe! I can do way more than knock someone down. I can't show you here, but I've been practicing controlling the earth as well. When we get outside the City, I'll give a demonstration." It seems she's already invited herself along.

The bright-blue-eyed Lagamora looking to the rest of the table, and it's inhabitants.

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:19 pm

Kyrie darts back at Arc's attempted grasp, her calm facade starting to show its first cracks as she shoots him a pointed glare, her tail starting to flick more regularly. A bit of that gets transferred to Oleai at her first reaction, and as she takes a long breath - and puts a bit more space between herself and Arc - she starts to wonder if this was perhaps a good idea.

Still, the thought of the bounty keeps her on point, so she doesn't yet say anything, listening as Oleai describes her abilities in a bit more detail, and entirely ignoring whatever nonsense Arc is doing with the tablecloth.

User avatar
Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:58 pm

Guy started when Oleai made herself known, announcing her interest in their joint venture loudly. It took only a moment to recognize her from earlier in the day. She'd flirted with him while they did business, and he'd flirted back a little. He hadn't expected to see her again so soon, if ever. Then, between chattering animatedly about how she could be useful, she did a bit of magic. She was just all sorts of surprising, none of it particularly unpleasant though. Once silence had fallen again, he spoke up casually:

"The more the merrier, darlin'. Hope you don't mind me askin' though, weren't you workin' in a shop just down the hill earlier today? For someone whose got roots set down here, you seem awful eager to join up with a group of strangers and get out."

User avatar
Oleai
Oh, Hi!
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Oleai » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:20 pm

Oleai opened her mouth to respond, a finger held aloft like she knew just what to say. But.. nothing came out. Not for a moment, anyway. The Lagomora taking a few seconds to process the idea of having 'roots' anywhere. Being on the go, and on the move was more or less her nature!

Raising a hand to rub behind her ear, jade bracelet and gold ear-ring (Ear-Ring, not Earring!) clinkling together. "Oh! That's Monroe's shop! He's a really nice man, actually; but I've only been here a few weeks. My 'rent'..." She makes little air quotations with both her hands, a little sway to her head that made her ears wiggle, ".. is all paid up for the month, and this sounds like something -really- important. I just... Hehe, I just want to come."

She left out the part about her great crime, shame, banishment, all that, for now.

"It's always nice to have traveling companions, anyway! Monroe won't mind if I leave.. but I should say goodbye before we go. .... Oh! Maybe he can give us a discount on supplies!" Oleai explained herself, bouncing from one emotional state to another; excited, nervous, sad, excited again. The bit about good traveling companions had left her focusing on Guy, though she addressed the whole table in her explanation.

Fidgeting in her seat, she glanced about the few left at the table, "So, we're all a team now?" She stood as she asked, rocking back and forth from foot to foot. Names might have to come later, she supposed.

Herrackman
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Herrackman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:30 pm

"Are we?" Arc looked up from Oleai's legs, and the highly impractical and purely fictional prosthesis he imagined there. "... A team?" He blinked, any thoughts of explosive jumping-pumps lost to the ether (for the best, most likely, as he hadn't quite solved the blastback issue, and there wasn't much value in jumping very high if you didn't have legs afterwards).

"To do what? Why teaming?" Arc offered a confused glance around, a third question mouthed but unsaid, 'where are we?' He pulled down his goggles and wiped them on his shirt, dirtying the lenses significantly more than they already were, and blinked once more, confusedly. "Can I go? I think I'm here for something. Like that. Where ARE we going, though? You're going after a not, right? A something that isn't, or a tidbit to that effect, so how... how do you start going after that? Where do we begin? How do you always begin, with an idea!"

Another moment; "I don't have an idea, don't look at me."

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:41 pm

With a slight sigh, and still keeping some distance from Arc, Kyrie gives a slight nod. Crossing her arms, she looks over the group at the table: whatever she thinks of them, they're bound to give her a better chance at the bounty than if she set out alone.

Not at the point of smiling yet, she at least seems to relax a bit. "I guess we are. The letter's right here, if you want the details." She slides it across to Oleai. "Next stop'd be Garpaath. We should probably head off the first chance we get, I'd say. So just how soon is that for us all?"

User avatar
Oleai
Oh, Hi!
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Oleai » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:27 pm

Oleai slides the letter over, closer, to take a read of it. Nodding sagely every so often, a similar bob of her ears given with the simple motion. She swung her hands behind her back, one to idly play with the little nub of a tail.

"Garpaath? How exciting! I don't even know what that is!" She exclaimed, "But we could all go down to Monroe's to pack for our trip, maybe. Otherwise, I can just catch up on the road? I run pretty fast, I don't know if any of you have seen a Plainsrunner in action." Oleai grinned proudly. Moments like this, she could forget she'd been sent off at all.

User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Kelne » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:10 am

Triya couldn't help thinking that managing these two was going to be rather like herding genies. Very difficult, but a crazy amount of directed power if you could get it right. ... Hang on, wasn't a line of thought like that supposed to be an argument against working with demonstrably eccentric people? She might have gotten the logic mixed up somewhere along the line. Still, the others didn't seem to have any major problems, so perhaps the logic was sound. Besides, one of those people was on the team already. A second couldn't hurt.

"Welcome aboard," she said cheerfully, "I figure an extra perspective will help for bringing Null in."

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:58 am

Kyrie keeps quiet as Oleai looks over the letter, speaking up only in reply to her comments. "I travel light, I have everything I need already. But if any of the rest of you need to pick up supplies, I can wait. It'd probably be best for us not to split up before we even head out."

She glances to Triya at her comment, and barely keeps herself from laughing; while she mostly agrees with the sentiment, it's certain to be an understatement for whatever else the extra perspective might bring with it.

User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:39 am

A new member joins the party! And it's decided: The first stop is Garpaath, frigid tundra and home of the Snow Elves. Those without cold weather gear may wish to pick some up before leaving the city...If money's an issue, well, perhaps something could be worked out. If nothing else, there is a Djinni Master in the group, maybe she could be of some help?

With the bustle still outside of the castle walls, however, a lot of other groups are thinking similarly, stocking up on supplies and working out the details of passage to other lands. Though it's unlikely that many know where they should be looking. For now, at least, the city continues it's massive festival. It may be wise to take advantage of the gathering while they can.

(You have free time! I would recommend trying to get transport to Garpaath, as well as gathering whatever information you can from whom you can. Feel free to post whatever preparations you're making, as well as any purchases you're making.)

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:48 pm

As the group flows out from the castle, Kyrie looks around the crowds outside. Nodding to the others, she slips away from the crowds slowly, leading the rest of the group through the best way to keep them from slowing them down until they get a little more clear.

"Oleai, I don't know Monroe's. Which way is it from here? Can you show us the way? With this many people out and about, we probably want somewhere that'll give us special service."

Cheerily, Oleai leads any others in the group that want to take a break for supplies to the shop with a bounce in her step, as Kyrie does her best to keep her on task. They get there quick enough, as Oleai heads in back to speak with the proprietor about the situation.

At the store, Kyrie browses about for supplies; though she might not need much in the way of gear, better safe than sorry. She pokes about for a light-colored cloak that'd blend well in the fields of Garpaath, a solid pack for whatever she might bring or find, and a few other assorted odds and ends she might end up needing while up in the area she can't help but think of as frigid wastes (however true or not that is).

Worked over the setup with Alexia, she cleared the minor char-control.

User avatar
Oleai
Oh, Hi!
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Oleai » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:21 pm

The group (Whoever among them cared to follow her to Monroe's) are left in the front of the store while Oleai trots herself upstairs with Monroe. The tiny attic room where Oleai had been staying these last few weeks was easy enough to pack, the Lagomora traveling light as usual.

"Goin' tae miss ya 'round 'ere, Bunny." Monroe walked down the stairs with his hand draped across Oleai's shoulder. She'd dressed up in a rather discreet brown robe thrown atop her tribal clothing; a large backpack hanging from her. "I'll miss you too, Monroe! You were always so sweet!" Chipper, as usual, though with a tinge of sadness. Losing a second home; but gaining a purpose. Surely it was a fair trade?

With a deep breath, Oleai puts the bounce back in her step and strides over to her groupmates, "Monroe says we can have anything have anything half-off, if we can bring back some Snow Elven tools for him next time we pass through Cantiga." Smiling and and hopping from foot to foot like she couldn't wait to get moving, Oleai begins to load her backpack with supplies - Dried fruits for the most part, but she packs the essentials for any good cross-country and potentially dangerous task. Bedrolls, Winter Cloths, A length of rope and some muscle-balm.

She didn't seem to offer any money to Monroe in exchange for these things; perhaps some arrangement had been made already?

Monroe steps up behind the counter, a stocky and heavy-bearded man with a thick accent. If he were but a bit shorter, and perhaps more clever, could even be a dwarf. "Alright! All you who're takin' Bunny north are welcome ta some goods; just bring what ya need up 'ere and I'll give you a fair price." Stroking his beard, Monroe waits for the busy shoppers!

Oleai herself drifts over to wait idly, nearby to Guy. Rolling back and forth on her feet, hands wrapped around behind her back.

Herrackman
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Herrackman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:42 pm

"THIS." Arc thrusts an awkward collection of junk, seemingly fished from the refuse pile outside the shop, under Monroe's nose. "And... and... those... bottles. Do you sell JUST the bottles? There's... there might be..." The fellow jerked his head this way and that, murmuring under his breath, though his hand could possibly have been pointing toward the slew of salves, ointments, and the like, all in decidedly average glass containers. "Hmm. Food. Right. Food. People. They have to eat. And food too."

Arc offered an unreadable, suspicious glance across the room at Oleai, before bustling about the shop on a final check. Miraculously, nothing was cast to the ground by his loose, layered apparel, as volumous as it was. Satisfied that there was nothing he had missed that he could not possibly do without, he made a staggered lunge back toward the counter. "What crazy fiat currency do you demand for this assembly?"

(( Get: Organics (2 pounds)
multimetal alloy arranged in various fixtures, nails, and cornices (13 ounces)
glass with partial metallic content from overused glassblowing tools (14 bottles)
food (Some. Probably not enough.) ))

User avatar
Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:37 pm

Guy stood by Oleai, trying to reflect mentally on what he owned, anything he might need, and that he had already spent all of his money. He could get by indefinitely with what he had, in theory. The problem was that theory had always been tested in temperate climates in the past, and now they were going to the frozen north. He was pretty sure his coat was sufficient for the trip, but from what he'd heard his boot might not be. Bad things had happened to men who visited Garpaath with boots that didn't keep out the water. Food was handled, and water would be easy to take care of en route. His boots... well, he'd think of something if it became necessary.

He spent only a moment in thought before coming back to reality, realizing he'd forgotten something important. He smiled in a way he hoped was charming as he turned to Oleai. He offered his outstretched hand and said:

"You know, Oleai, I don't think I introduced myself proper earlier. I'm Guy Savarin. Glad to be workin' with ya."

User avatar
Oleai
Oh, Hi!
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Oleai » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:29 am

Oleai goes a bit wide-eyed, at least for a moment before swinging her hands around to cup around Guy's, "Hi, Guy! Hehe, I can't believe I didn't ask you this morning!"

Serendipity!

Oleai adjusted her backpack, and straightened her robes out, a grin painting her features as glanced around the shop at the others; and a bit sneakily over Guy. "Oh! I'm glad you liked the knife, by the way. You have a good eye for quality. Uhm.." Fidgeting, now perhaps a bit from nerves, "All these amazing and exotic people and things.. you seem a bit out of place here, hehe. What.. is it you do?" Oleai asked, perhaps unaware of the vaguely insulting nature of the question. The smile on her face and the intent way she listened giving signs she likely just didn't realize. If anyone was out of place, it was her.

Still, to be on the road again; traveling with such a varied tribe.. group.. of people from all nations and walks of life. Oleai was already beginning to feel at home, despite appearances. She began to hop on her feet again, nerves making way for excitement as everyone prepared, and presumably, Guy answered.

Monroe was watching from behind the counter, half paying attention to the pair, and half paying attention to the bizarre Alchemist and Nekana wandering his shop. A knowing chuckle before he turns back to welcome any comers.

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Once her gear's gathered, Kyrie heads to the counter, showing her goods to Monroe. She glances to Oleai chatting with Guy, and lowers her a voice as she speaks with Monroe, unsure just how sensitive Oleai's hearing is.

"Can you tell me a bit more about Oleai? You seem to know her well, and I've barely met her 30 minutes ago. I'd like to know more what we're getting into before we begin trekking out halfway around the world."

User avatar
Oleai
Oh, Hi!
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Oleai » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:43 pm

Monroe rose an eyebrow, suspicious of the Nekana in the party - They were known to be cutthroat in business, and rumored to be even more so in combat. Ninja folk, they be.

"Ye want tae know more 'bout Bunny, eh? What's there ta tell? Lass wanders in 'ere 'bout a month ago, skinnyer'an she is now. Hadn't been eaten much. Jus' walks right in an' grabs a loaf'a bread tae start munchin' away. Would'a called the law on 'er but.. 'ell, lookit 'er." Monroe lifts one of his large hands to motion toward the cheery Lagomora, chatting away with the red-haired Guy. "Girl like that wouldn't last five minutes in a holdin' cell. 'Sides, I could use the help; an' bein' an oddity 'erself I find people comin' to MY shop tae see the Tribeless Plainsrunner."

Monroe scoops some of Kyrie's chosen goods closer to inspect and price them, tugging his beard a moment to contemplate. "Tha'll be twenty-five Pieces o' Brass, Kitty."

Waiting for Kyrie to pay before he continues, this time looking at Oleai as he speaks, "Strange one, she is. Well meanin', an' achein' tae prove 'erself. Help folk." He refocuses on Kyrie, lowering his voice further. "I know yer people don't 'ave a heart fer the Plainsrunners, but if I catch wind o' Oleai bein' found dead on'a riverbank somewhere; there'll be 'ell to pay." Driving the point home by sliding Kyrie's goods towards her with a bit more force than necessary.

"Oiy, Bunny! These ones'll take good care of ye, alright? You jus' come back safe. You've got regulars 'ere gonna want to see you again." He calls to Oleai, drawing her attention. She strides over, and gives a big cheerful nod, "Okay, Monroe! Thank you so much, for everything! I'll come home safe, I promise." Smiling, she adds, "I have a tribe with me, now!" Throwing an arm around Kyrie, and perhaps drawing the Nekana away from the counter to join her near Guy.

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:17 pm

Kyrie smirks just a bit as she slides the coin over, sighing inwardly at the veiled threats. "I'm not sure what you've heard about Nekana, but you can stop worrying. If I wanted to keep her from coming along, she wouldn't be coming along. I know the stories, and we don't go around slitting the throats of people we don't care for. It'd be bad for business, after all."

She glances up as Oleai comes over, snickering a bit at the exchange. The hug takes her by surprise, though - legs are one thing, but who knew Lagomoras had such tight grips? - and she has just enough time to grab her gear before she's hauled over and away, barely able to keep her footing at Oleai's pace. Squirming out once stopped, she starts to glare at Oleai before giving up; not like she'd even care, after all. With a grumble, she straightens her tunic, and decides to at least alleviate some curiosity to distract herself. "We're a tribe, eh? What's that mean for us, then?"

User avatar
Oleai
Oh, Hi!
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Oleai » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Oleai was, afterall, a woman of the road. For all her seeming innocence and naivety every Plainsrunner reached a certain point of physical strength; due entirely to the type of 'Life on the road' society they have. Still, she was relativity gentle with Kyrie.

"What's it mean for us? It means we're all that much stronger!" Oleai looks around the gathered party, shopping or waiting to leave both, "It means if we stick together, and watch out for each other no matter what? We can accomplish anything!" Swinging her arms outward in a big flourish; a gust of wind conjured beneath her to make her robes and cloak ruffle. She seemed very proud of that, at least, until Monroe sent an 'Oiy!' from the back of the shop.

With a giggle, "Sorry!"

Spoiler:
It had been months since Oleai had a tribe to call her own, these people were strangers and potentially even dangerous. She didn't know them from Eve, and was well aware of that fact. Still, even if it was forced, some semblance of the familiar...of the safe and of better times? She'd take it where she could.



OOC: I was thinking I would put 'Inside' information as to Oleai's train of thought in spoiler-code, for any interested. This one was short, but who knows how long they could be in the future.

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:36 pm

Kyrie raises a brow, not entirely buying into Oleai's claims. "Well, we're stronger with more of us, at least. I don't know about 'anything', but we'll see."

"So...once we've got our supplies ready, how are we getting there? I'd vote for renting some sort of wagons. More comfortable at nights, especially for you all. And it means we can bring more with us if need be. But it'd be spendier than just a straight-forward hike. What do the rest of you say?"

User avatar
Oleai
Oh, Hi!
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Oleai » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:09 pm

Oleai hops from one foot to another, excitedly. "Wagon! I vote for a wagon! We can steer in shifts, and keep ourselves moving nonstop!"

Thinking on it a moment, "Oh.. Wait, it's not like we have any Taurus with us to pull in shifts. Guess we'll need to stop to let the horses rest... Still, it'll be nice for keeping supplies stored and resting ourselves."

User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:47 pm

The group- Now minus an Elf, and plus a Plainsrunner, made final preparations, with Kyrie using her connections to make preparations for a wagon. Within a couple of hours, everything is finally set, and the group begins out, ahead of the rest of crowd still in Cantiga, who seem to be more intent on getting a start in the morning and partying tonight. The sun is beginning to set and a cool wind is blowing over the city as afternoon gives way to early evening, and the inns are filling up. It's unlikely anyone in the city would be getting a good night's sleep.

As the group sets out, they make their way down the wide city streets, and a few peddlers try and get them to take a quick look. But now, they're on a mission. They're a tribe.

And in what would be unusual for this time of year, due to both the migration patterns and general demeanor of a solitary animal, a single black Bladehawk perches on a pole, watching the group as their wagon makes its way through town, before taking wing after them.

End Chapter 1.

User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:38 am

Chapter 2- On the Paath.

Outside of Frostbyte, Garpaath. 221 PS- Friday, 9:41 AM.

One day's travel north of Wells yielded little. The grass grew slightly greener and slightly longer, and more wildlife could be seen from the roads, but other than that, very little.

Two day's travel north, and the air began to grow chilly, and the ground hard. Bundling up in bedrolls became a much more pressing issue that night.

Three days travel north, and the icicle laiden rooftops of Frostbyte were finally in sight on the horizon. Emerald green patches of grass peeked out from a thin dusting of snow that was coming and going in small flurries (Though the cloudy skies above indicated that it was gonna be much snowier in the evening), and the stones of the road turned from common cobblestones to a rich cobalt blue hue.

As the group's wagon rolled ever closer, the details of the town became easier to pick out. A small hamlet with stone and wooden houses, Frostbyte is the southernmost town in Garpaath, and the one most commonly used by Nekana traders, usually trying to get some of the Snow Elves coveted Cobalt ore, or some of their expertly crated weapons and tools. Though, due to the remote location of Garpaath, and the climate, even the intrepid Nekana didn't stay in town for too long.

As they entered the town itself, they noticed a few things of interest: There was an unusual amount of Children Frostbyte, outnumbering the adults on the streets nearly 2 to 1. Though they seemed to stay in a large, self contained pack, they weren't causing much trouble, and were closely watched by a pair of young Snow Elf women. Also, there was an unusual amount of smiths along the main road- Three, at least. Unusual, for a small town, though given the Elves metalworking prowess, probably not uncommon for Garpaath.

Lastly, what might strike one as interesting was the fact that for every two Snow Elves bundled up in furs and leathers, thick boots, gloves and hoods, there was one that wore very little- Simple breeches, light shirts, and never, ever shoes or gloves. Those ones seemed completely unaffected by the cold- Especially the children, who were even more energetic than their counterparts. The wagon rolled on, though the horses seemed in need of some shelter- The snow was starting to pick up again, and it was getting cold.

And on the signpost of a nearby Smith, a black Bladehawk perched.

Kyrie:
Spoiler:
You've seen this same hawk repeatedly over the last few days of travel- And worse, every time you looked at it, it seemed to be looking right back, giving you a look to remind you what happens to Nekana Kittens that play with Bladehawks.


Oleai:
Spoiler:
You've spotted this Bladehawk flying above a couple of times, because something about it didn't seem right- It was far, far too quiet for a Bladehawk, never once crowing or calling. It even hunted silently- Odd, seeing as how Bladehawks made a very distinctive hunting cry back in the Grasslands.

User avatar
Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:19 am

Guy had taken to wearing his long, somewhat worn coat as they'd headed further north. He wasn't in danger of freezing but he still felt cold as they traveled, and it meant that he didn't talk very much. He perked up as they came within sight of a town, eager to stop for the day and hole up somewhere warm. His reaction was mixed as they came closer and saw the residents of the town. He'd heard rumors of the Snow Elves of course, most everyone had. It was something else entirely to see them though, wandering about it scant more than would wear if he meant to go swimming. It was impressive and a little unnerving. The feeling of wrongness was only enhanced by the number of people who went around in proper winter dress. Guy's thoughts were interrupted by a biting gust of wind and snow, pushing his misgivings aside.

"S-so. Maybe we f-find a stable and a place to b-bed down?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:12 pm

Kyrie's kept herself wrapped up in a thick cloak ever since the second day, keeping inside the cart as much as she could. The bumps as they roll across the frozen ground were far preferable to walking alongside in the open air; she's traveled more than enough to be used to that. Over the trip, she's been keeping to herself fairly consistently, though it's certain that at least one of their group's been doing whatever she could to stop that.

As they roll in, Kyrie's attention is taken by that bladehawk, the sight bringing up a slight frown. Guy's question breaks her focus though, and she glances over and out of the wagon, nodding. "Please."

User avatar
Oleai
Oh, Hi!
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Null's Game

Unread postby Oleai » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Oleai spent most of the three-day trip trying to coax conversation from her new 'tribe'. Traveling a wagon train again had plastered a permanent grin on her face, that dimmed somewhat with each day of cold terrain they trekked into. Still, she was thankful for her fur, and the additional coat's and blankets Monroe had sent along with her. She'd spent her shifts outside leading the horses practicing her wind magics; mostly to divert the freezing gusts of air away from the party. It kept her mind occupied, and it was the closest thing she'd have to powering the great wagon sails this far north.

Every now and then she'd pause in her tracks and look skyward, ears perking and pointing up. Then straight back to leading the horses, talking to Guy or bothering Kyrie.

As the wagon pulled into town; Oleai, all bundled up in a few layers of furs, was set with a grin. The Elves were amazing!

Pulled from her amazed gazing about by the question Guy proposed, she responded quickly. "Oh? Uh.. Yeah! You two look really cold, lets get warmed up. I'll find somewhere to stable our horse and park the wagon." Still trying to convince the others she was useful.

Wouldn't hurt to get a chance to buy some tools, either.

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron

Yalogank