Child's Play

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:49 am

"All the more reason to get going quickly," Emily said, "I'm sure there'll be some pretty obvious signs if everything's about to come crashing down, and we can always set up a countdown."

User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:34 am

"Right." Rivendare says simply. "Get moving."

---

One by one,the children are uploaded into Juliet's memory core- Save Janet,who's still running support from the outside. They materialize on a muddy path bracketed by thick forests. The dark, cloudy skies overhead give way to a torrential downpour of rain, and occasional lightning. About a half mile ahead is a church- Crumbling and dilapidated. The grey stone has been weathered and beginning to deteriorate, and one of the heavy wooden doors is completely off it's hinges.

Kid begins to walk, slogging through the mud and occasionally looking into the forest. Hope, however...

Hope stands in the mud, watching with a frown as the rain water slides off her both in sheets. She eventually puts her hands together, watching as she collects a small 'puddle'.

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:42 am

Sam starts forward after Kid at first, until he catches sight of Hope. He watches her for a bit, wringing his hands, before approaching her. "Hope? What...what're you doing?"

User avatar
ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:18 pm
Location: Sweden, Baby!

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:10 pm

Alexis bound after the church as soon as they materialized, dodging up to the thick forest and moving between the trees with her usual grace and silence. The rain was soaking into her long, silver-white hair as she tied it up while running.

Any idea what we can expect inside that church? she sent out to the others, eyes fixed firmly on the old, decrepit building.

User avatar
Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:26 pm

Enzo examined his surroundings with mixed fascination and trepidation. Last time there hadn't been much chance to look around and study anything. With Byrde breathing down their necks before, it had been a pretty dire situation. Things hadn't left off well, either. Their surroundings were pretty grim, but it was still beautiful in it's own way. Before he could think about it more he received Alexis' message.

Not a clue. If we're the first wunderkind, then what we're doing is literally unprecedented. Be careful going forward.

He started forward cautiously, trying to get a feel for the 'system' they were in. He started with a simple request, to make sure the normal rules still applied.

Code: Select all
/:>_
/:>whatis(clock)


(Enzo is trying to get the system to report the current time.)

User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:38 pm

Enzo's received message is simple: The current time is 00:00.

Hope looks up at Sam. "..We're...different."

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:47 pm

Sam watches Hope quietly for a short bit, confused, before he speaks up again. "Different from what?"

User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:00 pm

"Before." Hope says simply.

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:02 am

"Oh. Um...yeah, we're lots different now." He glances between Hope and the church ahead, still a little confused by the situation (although it is helping to distract him from his nervousness). "But...um...we should hurry I think, Juliet probably needs us..."

User avatar
NebulaQueen
Moderator
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 6:38 pm

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:01 pm

"Oh, you mean, from before we were Wunderkind?"

Silvie jogged up beside Hope, and smiled down at her as she rests a hand on her shoulder. "Yeah, it's kind of weird, isn't it? But don't worry, you'll get used to it."

User avatar
BrainWalker
✔+
 
Posts: 2857
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:59 pm

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:47 pm

Sam feels a friendly pat on the back. "Come on, man. You remember what it was like when you first changed over. I'm sure you were at least a little weirded out, right? We're all used to it now 'cause we've been at it for a while, but Hope here -" he gives her a friendly nod- "Is still fresh. So don't let it get to you too much, Hope. It'll be strange for a while, but before you know it it'll feel as natural as anything. And we'll be with you the whole time."

User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:36 pm

The children march through the rain and mud towards the crumbling church. As they arrive, they find that one of the huge, incredibly heavy iron bound doors has been torn off it's hinges and is sinking into the mud, and the other's been broken in half, though still in place. Within, the stonework of the church is crumbling, the wooden pews are shattered and rotting, and almost all of the stained glass windows have been shattered.

And on a pedestal upon the altar, Byrd sits peacefully, legs crossed and eyes closed. She sniffs at the air, and slowly smiles. "Oh. My 'pack' has finally come to see what's wrong with us."

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:44 pm

"...Byrd? Are you okay?" Tentatively, Sam advances forward, watching to see what she does. "We were all worried about you an' Juliet...d'you know what's going on?"

User avatar
BrainWalker
✔+
 
Posts: 2857
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:59 pm

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby BrainWalker » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:16 pm

Max was wondering which of the two of them they'd find first. He would probably be glad it was Byrd if it wasn't for the unsettling image of a calm, meditative Byrd. "Yeah. This place certainly seems to have seen better days." Actually, there's really no way for him to know that. Enzo might know, though; he was here before, right? He glances over at Enzo for a second but doesn't say anything else.

User avatar
Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:17 pm

Enzo is clearly surprised as he looks around. He notices Maxes Glance and focuses on Byrd again. He sent a message to everyone who wasn't Byrd.

This is where I was when I was trying to fix Juliet... But it was bright and new looking then. Holy cow.

User avatar
ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:18 pm
Location: Sweden, Baby!

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby ChristianC » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:47 am

Alexis had kept away from the main group, and she hadn't entered the church through the doors, rather she'd approached from above, hanging from a wooden beam in the rafters with her legs and looking down at the others.

When she got Enzo's message to everyone else she frowned and tied back her hair quickly. Think this church is something else then? Maybe it's her religion or something...

User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:31 am

Well, Byrd certainly seemed to be doing her best to be intimidating, Emily reflected on seeing the smile, and the landscape was cooperating. Emily wasn't interested in playing that game though. They were here to help, and frankly, neither Byrd nor Juliet was going to drive them out before it was done.

"Yes, we're here to help," she said, "Not sure how just yet, but we'll figure something out between us."

User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:49 am

Byrd shoots up from her sitting position, leaping into the air and landing gracefully, if not very heavily in front of the group, causing Kid to take a defensive stance and Hope to cower. She draws herself up to her full height- Taller than Juliet by a good six inches, and smiles wickedly. "She doesn't want me. Thanks to the pack leader, she's been able to stop me from taking my rightful place at night. But she needs me. She can't seal me away in here. She'll die if she does. We both will."

She turns, gesturing around her to the crumbling church. "We'll die hand in hand, just because she didn't want to admit to herself who she is."

User avatar
BrainWalker
✔+
 
Posts: 2857
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:59 pm

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby BrainWalker » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:48 pm

It's really weird to see Byrd so... collected, and sinister. Although, I suppose, being faced with your seemingly inevitable mortality might alter your temperament.

"Wait, what was that about a pack leader helping stop you?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:53 pm

"...where is Juliet?" Trying - and failing - to untangle what's going on between them, he looks around the room for any sign of her. "I'm sure she didn't mean to seal you away...we can talk about stuff and figure out how to fix it and then everything'll be okay!"

User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:50 pm

"Oh, it's very easy!" Byrd says, sliding over to Enzo, putting her face uncomfortably close to his, giving him a very clear look at her lupine eyes and teeth. "The Alpha here gave the runt a way to prevent the moon from rising, so that I could never escape. Didn't you, 'Alpha'?"

Near the back, Hope sobs quietly, clearly terrified of Byrd. Kid moves to put herself between Hope and Byrd, crouching slightly to comfort the new recruit. Byrd, however, has other plans- She darts towards the pair, striking Kid hard with the back of her hand, sending her flying into one of the pews. Byrd takes her spot in front of Hope, cupping her chin in her talons and tilting Hope's head up to meet her own. "Delicate little thing." Byrd sneers. "Maybe losing that eye will toughen you up."

User avatar
Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:37 pm

Enzo actually looked confused when Byrd's face was next to his own. He hadn't told Juliet what he'd done or how he did it, specifically because he meant for Byrd to get out at some point, under more controlled circumstances. He meant to tell her that now... and then she slid off and punched out Kid. Threatened Hope. He wasn't sure what to do. He stood stock still as he quietly panicked. He knew he needed to do something, or that someone did, but he just couldn't think at all. Hope was about to lose an eye. Thirteen has an eyepatch. It was his fault.

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:46 pm

As Byrd attacks Kid, threatens Hope, Sam...well, quite honestly he freaks out. He screams towards her, shaking. "Stop it! Get away from Hope! Put her down!" In mid-scream he manifests his rifle, clenched in a quivering hand but pointed at the ground; he doesn't even seem to have noticed it, and it vanishes before he has a chance to. For now he's just focused on Byrd, looking torn between charging in between them and fleeing far, far away.

User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Kelne » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:54 am

"And you wonder why Juliet tries to cram you into a deep, dark corner of her soul," Emily said disgustedly, walking up to look Byrd in the eye and stare her down. She hadn't manifested any weapons - they weren't going to succeed here through force of arms, but by talking things out and getting these two to come to terms with each other.

"I don't think you'd do it, Byrd. You're really not the kind of person to hurt a helpless innocent. But the harder you work to convince people you are, the more they'll close ranks against you. So. Let her go, and let us help you sort this out. No technical trickery, and no solutions that involve Juliet cramming you into a cage. Fair?" For all that she was doing, Byrd wasn't the enemy here. The trick would be convincing her they weren't her enemies. It sounded as if Enzo hadn't done them any favours there, but that matter would keep for the moment.

User avatar
ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:18 pm
Location: Sweden, Baby!

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby ChristianC » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:24 am

Alexis watched the events down there unfold with cold detachment, her gun manifest into her hand but not drawn. But as Byrd punched Kid and grabbed hope, she was aiming it, right at Byrd's head. She didn't shoot warning shots, she didn't particularly feel like this involved her, but if someone threatened a member of her team she wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger... and she'd never been particularly fond of neither Byrd nor Juliet.

Just give me the signal... she sent out to the others.

User avatar
BrainWalker
✔+
 
Posts: 2857
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:59 pm

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:58 pm

Instinct takes over as Max materializes his sidearms and starts to aim at Byrd's face. Threats against his family will be taken seriously. But then Alexis's cold statement gives him pause. Is Byrd not also one of his own? Is he really willing to shoot first and not ask questions of a member of his 'pack?' Max lowers his pistols but doesn't dematerialize them.

It's probably not a good idea to try to open a hole in the skull you're currently inhabiting, anyway.

Max approaches Byrd and Hope from the side opposite Emily to particpate in the stern talkings-to. "Look, you've been getting a pretty raw deal for... I'm guessing pretty much your entire existence. Being 'dangerous' isn't a good enough reason to put someone in a cage. We're all basically weapons, but I think we'd all agree that we deserve to live. Being potentially maybe possibly a threat in the future isn't a good reason to imprison someone, but right now you're being much more than a possible potential future threat, and to your own family! You're proving Juliet right."

Perhaps it would be best to back off from the criticizm a little.

"I don't know what happened, exactly-" Max glances at Enzo, again "-but just about anything that is done can be undone, right? You're one of us and we'll fight for you, but if we're going to help you out, you're going to have to not remove any of our eyealls. That seems fair."

Max pauses for a minute, trying to decide if what he wants to say next is a good idea or not. He tries to put a smile on it. "Except maybe Enzo's."

Since when was Enzo the 'alpha,' anyway?

User avatar
Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:58 pm

Enzo didn't answer, or move. He didn't react to Max's joke... which was a joke, probably. Yeah. He froze up, just like he almost always did, and berated himself for not doing anything or saying anything when stuff got scary. He waited for Byrd to answer someone.

User avatar
NebulaQueen
Moderator
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 6:38 pm

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:43 am

As soon as Byrd grabbed Hope, Silvie summoned forth her sword, ready to unleash sweet, bladed justice on her. However, before she could even hope to strike her down (not that she would have fared any better than Kid), the twins were all ready in the process of calming her down. Silvie held her hand; however, she couldn't think of anything to add that they didn't say all ready.

Okay, she said to the others, the whole speech thing's cool and all, but what are we gonna do if she doesn't bite?

User avatar
BrainWalker
✔+
 
Posts: 2857
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:59 pm

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:59 am

We bite.

It sounded pretty cool in Max's head, but once he sent it, he realized it wasn't very specific.

Umm... and by that I mean we try to subdue her, not take her out. I mean, we are technically inside her... digital... space? Or whatever.

User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Byrd squeezes Hope's chin, causing her to sob, as she looks around at the others. "Touchy, aren't you? How many of you do you think I can kill before one of you finally takes me down? My money's on all of you, unless you have some sorta special bullets or something."

With a 'hmph' she shoves Hope backwards, sending the young Wunderkind staggering and falling on her rump. She doesn't bother to get up, she just begins to cry. Byrd's eye twitches at the annoyance, but for the most part, she doesn't seem to care. "Juliet's out in the woods somewhere. She didn't want to let me out, but now she knows that if she doesn't, we'll both die. So I'm just giving her what she wants."

Byrd gracefully jumps back up to her perch on the ruined altar. "I'm not coming out until we both die, hand in hand."

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:01 pm

Sam stares at Byrd, breathing harder as she gives her speech to the group; if he were in a physical body, he'd be hyperventilating at this point, and his reading are likely starting to ping Enzo's sensors. The rifle flickers in and out of his hand as he grips himself, tears starting to well in his eyes. He mutters to himself silently, his breathing spiking after she drops Hope. As Byrd hops on her perch, finishing her speech, a muffled set of gunshots sound from Sam over their comms, cutting off the last bit of her sentence - blatantly distinct from anything in reality, thankfully, no chance of confusing them with a real sound as they have nowhere near the fidelity their audio sensors normally give them. At the same moment, Sam screams out; "Stop it! Stop! Shut up! You aren't gonna kill my sisters! Go away!"

Still heedless of the gun in his hand, he charges at Byrd, even dropping it as he starts at her. He doesn't stop screaming out as he runs, but his utterances are too choked to make out; he's barely even paying attention to where he's running now.

(He's not going super fast; he's running, but not sprinting. Plenty of chance for someone to stop him if anyone tries, and I'll autofail any defense checks for someone trying to grab/tackle/whatever him.)

User avatar
NebulaQueen
Moderator
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 6:38 pm

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:03 pm

Silvie flinches when she sees Hope fall to the ground, and she's about to go comfort the younger girl when she hears the fake gunshots from Sam's intercomm. Confused, she jerks her head up towards him, just in time to witness him shout and charge towards her.

"Sam, no!"

Not good. Not good not good not good - just what does he think he's doing?! He's going to make things worse! Silvie charges after him, in an attempt to tackle him to the ground

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:46 pm

Sam is tackled to the ground by Silvie's quick dart; though he struggles underneath her to pull free and get back to his feat, it shouldn't be hard for Silvie to keep him held back.

User avatar
NebulaQueen
Moderator
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 6:38 pm

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:16 pm

"Don't you see what's going on?!" she shouted as she tried to keep Sam pinned down. "It's a -hngh!- classic trope! You know, two minds, one body?! Come on, haven't you at least heard of Brawl Room?"

Well, okay, so Brawl Room was rated R and so he might not have seen it seen it, but it's a modern classic! Everybody knows how it ends!

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:11 pm

"Lemme...lemme go..." Sam chokes back a sob as he tries to push Silvie off him to no avail. After a bit more useless struggle, he finally collapses, too wracked with feelings to say much of anything at this point. Flooded with emotion, he curls up, openly sobbing interspersed with the occasional half-word, nothing especially intelligible.

User avatar
NebulaQueen
Moderator
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 6:38 pm

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:34 pm

Silvie's heart sank right into her stomach, and she stared down at Sam in wide-eyed panic as he began to sob. She expected him to fight back, maybe shout a little, but cry? She didn't mean to make him cry!

"He-hey," she said, her voice shaky, "Just...just calm down, okay? I'm gonna let you go, you just gotta promise me that you're not gonna shoot at Byrd, right?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:41 pm

He nods, just slightly, but otherwise doesn't do much else; keeping his eyes squeezed closed, he seems to be doing his best to stay quiet; internally, though, his status is still likely shooting all sorts of warnings at Enzo.

User avatar
NebulaQueen
Moderator
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 6:38 pm

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:23 am

"Okay. I'm letting you back up now, okay?"

And with that, she gets off of him, and scrambles back up.

User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:38 pm

With Sam now free to move, Emily reached down to offer him a hand up. "Come on," she said, "Let's try to fix things, okay?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:57 pm

Sam glances up, letting Emily help him up, but it seems more because she's asking him to than any real improvement in his state. Shaking, he's not making eye contact with most anyone, teary-eyed and mumbling to himself. While he keeps glancing in Byrd's general direction, he doesn't say anything, just sticking close to Emily, hanging a bit behind her.

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron

Yalogank