Doing What They Can (D&D 3.5 campaign)

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Yay Draconic!

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:58 pm

The goblin thought for a second. "I'm not familiar with the spot, because there's no gates over there and I never did the near patrol.

Actually, wait...no, I think I just drew this wrong. The gap's not that wide in real life."


NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: Yay Draconic!

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:12 pm

Adil replied "As to be expected, given the more...asymmetrical layout we're seeing here. However, that general side is the one we're aiming for--hopefully, we can find a gap between towers and away from the gates that we can exploit long enough to get in without many problems...and, of course, make sure we have enough cover to get in."

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=namagomimk0>NamagomiMk0</A] at: 6/17/06 20:15

User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Yay Draconic!

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:25 pm

"Anybody here able to dig? Or summon a creature that can dig?" offered Dashe.


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Yay Draconic!

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:26 pm

"Good idea. It's rocky land, so you'll be able to take cover." He glances around. "So...I can live?"


NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: Yay Draconic!

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:41 pm

"As far as I'm concerned," Adil started, "you may."

"As for the digging idea...feasible, except...I'm not sure if we have anything that can dig a passage large enough for us to pass through, and I am equally unsure that any of us can summon anything that can do so."


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Yay Draconic!

Unread postby Kelne » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:57 pm

"Perhaps we're looking at this the wrong way," Varlak remarks, "A couple of us walking in through the front gate under an invisibility spell might be entirely feasible. From there, we get to the prison, find our target, and teleport out again. Is that doable?" He directs this question at the casters, these being the people most likely to know.

Then he frowns, as another thought occurs to him, "Do you have any other prisoners at the moment?" It's not like they can just leave anybody there to face the music, and it's best to know now.


NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: Yay Draconic!

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:15 pm

"I wouldn't doubt that they do--I don't think they'd build a prison for only one prisoner. In addition, let's not forget the goblin's family, as well as the possibility that the gates just might be closed," the half-dragon interjects. "You're also assuming that a gate wouldn't be completely blocked--which it easily could either with guards or an actual barrier, though the latter could easily be disposed of."


GC130A
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: Yay Draconic!

Unread postby GC130A » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:17 pm

Mulligan leans casually against a tree, offering, "I could probably manage any of those three. Invisibility and teleportation are, of course, specialties of mine, Cerlor here can dig better than a mole, and it's not very... stealthy, but setting a few things on fire elsewhere would give you the time you should need to breach the walls."

"A proper tunnel would need some good reconnaissance, I think, and anything more than a short tunnel would need some supports" he continues, "and an invisible teleportation team would have to work fast; the proper spell lasts a little under ten minutes. And, of course, the last plan would probably let them know something was up. I'm not much of a strategist," he admits, "so those all seem workable."

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=gc130a>GC130A</A] at: 6/17/06 22:20

NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: Yay Draconic!

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:35 pm

"Hmm...so it can. That would be particularly useful...I can set a couple of things on fire, at least...but it'd have to be in a pretty close reach for me to do that. But there's another problem; we'd have to kill any patrol teams that see us quickly. No other option," the halfdragon replied.


User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Yay Draconic!

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:48 pm

"I have an idea as to how we can do better than set things on fire," Dashe says, "My abilities extend beyond mere martial arts. I am also a pretty skilled wielder of the arcane arts. One of the little tricks I can do is fly, as well as create an illusion of myself. I can fly up over one of the large towers and draw their fire. As soon as they start firing at me, I can teleport down to the ground and help to reak some havoc there as well while my illusionary self up the air draws off some of the archers. In the chaos, you guys can do what you like to get the prisoners escape, be it digging out or casting invisibility or even teleporting out. I can then find my own means of escaping." Dashe is beginning to like the sound of the plan the more it is thought out.

((Man, talking in the present tense is a pain. That last sentence just doesn't sound right in the present tense...))

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=darkknight61189>darkknight61189</A]&nbsp; Image at: 6/17/06 23:51

NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: Yay Draconic!

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:12 am

"One of the other little tricks you can do appears to be severely overestimating yourself and assuming your opponents are stupid," Adil says, with a halfway-amused tone to his voice. "You seriously can't handle all of them on your own, and the archers are smart enough to figure out that it's an illusion after the first shot. However, your idea has some potential merit--a larger diversion team and a smaller release team. Theoretically, the release team would only need two, maybe three people--one to teleport, one to open any possible locked doors if magical means are unavailable, and maybe one to help deal with any potential resistance that can't be avoided. The rest could attempt to do enough damage as to, if nothing else, draw the attention of most of the soldiers around--however, it'd be advisable to at least control the chaos enough in order to make sure the ogres didn't come to assist. THAT would spell trouble."


GC130A
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: Yay Draconic!

Unread postby GC130A » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:23 am

"That is a little much," the wizard says, giving a slight cough, "let's leave the heroic self-sacrifice as a single man takes on an army as a last resort, shall we?"

"How much can you carry while flying?" he asks.


User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Yay Draconic!

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:39 am

"I'm afraid you guys misinterpret my intentions. It it true that I won't be able to go in and fight all of the goblins and hobgoblins at once, but what we need is for them to be distracted for a bit. I can also call up a large sphere of darkness, which will make the illusion even more convincing since they can't see inside it. While they're busy trying to shoot the fake me down, you guys can find some way to get in while they're not looking. I am not trying to be heroic, just giving ideas."

Dashe then turned to the wizard, "I should be able to carry about a hundred pounds, give or take."

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=darkknight61189>darkknight61189</A]&nbsp; Image at: 6/18/06 14:04

User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Yay Draconic!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:13 pm

(No one can fly with anything more than a light load; it's in the rules, but slightly hidden. Dashe would know that.)


User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Yay Draconic!

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:04 pm

((Which is why I asked. Edited the post.))


NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in order

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:28 pm

Adil responds, "You still overestimate yourself, and you still underestimate the enemy's intelligence and potentials. They likely have spellcasters as well. I still advise a diversionary team--one man will not be able to cause enough of a disruption for long enough to get the prisoners out. It's a simple fact."

The halfdragon then turns to the gnome, inquiring, "By the way..." he reaches into his pack, looking for the potions he acquired off of the dead ranger, before pulling them out, "I found a couple of potions off of one of the hobgoblins. You seem to be knowledgable in these matters. You have any idea of what kinds of potions these are?"

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=namagomimk0>NamagomiMk0</A] at: 6/18/06 14:34

User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:50 pm

"Fine, Adil has a point. I say we send Mulligan, our spellcaster, Varalk and Ciele in to retrieve the girl, as well as this goblin's family, while the rest of us, and the dragon, create whatever the hell kind of havoc we can think of," Dashe said, then turned to Adil, "Any objections?"

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=darkknight61189>darkknight61189</A]&nbsp; Image at: 6/18/06 15:01

NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:12 pm

"I have no major objections here as far as that goes--though I'm pretty certain that Mulligan would rather have the dragon with him--I'd say Ciele would be better off in the thick of things, pending on what she can do," the half-dragon responded to the monk-warlock.


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:20 pm

The goblin pipes in. "I, uh, I can help!"


NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:40 pm

"Can you? Well then, how can you 'help'?", the halfdragon replied, thinking that the goblin's aid would've ended with information.


User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:49 pm

"I suggested the dragon come with us," Dashe explained, "because it might be a bit difficult to sneak around inside the encampment with that thing. Also, I suggested Ciele go in with Mulligan in case he needs a bit more strength."

He then thought of something else, "Also, Mulligan, do you have any spells that you can use to disguise yourself as a goblin?"

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=darkknight61189>darkknight61189</A]&nbsp; Image at: 6/18/06 15:49

NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:51 pm

"...The dragon only listens to Mulligan, you know. And we might need that bit more of strength, while we're at it--we'd be better off with Ciele on the diversionary team." Adil rebutted.


User avatar
Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:51 am

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby Nakibe » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:43 pm

"Actually" said Ciele, looking up from her comfy seat. "I think the dragon-thing here would be a better distraction. How much can IT carry, hm?"


User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:21 pm

"Well, couldn't Mulligan tell it to listen to us or something?" Of course Dashe has no idea how the machine operates.

"As for Ciele, if she doesn't go with Mulligan, who will? Someone needs to go to cover him, and it won't be that dragon, for sure. Too large to go sneaking around."


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:57 pm

The goblin looks around. "I can...um...I can bring one of you in as my prisoner and say I found you in the forest. That might work. That would be a good distraction."


NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:08 pm

"...you must be seeing things. It's not really that large. Maybe in comparison to Mulligan, but it's not too large to sneak around," Adil noted--exactly how big could a quite small--relatively speaking--dragon be seen as? "On top of that, I don't believe it would even if he told it to." Adil smirked--he still didn't get it.

He turned to Ciele, though, curious about how the dragon could be used as a better distraction, "How do you say that?"

(OOC: As a sidenote, as noted in the Draconomicon, an average medium-size Brass (which is what this effigy appears to be of) is 16 feet long--were it to be stretched out from head to tail. However, the actual body is only 7 feet long, with the neck taking up 4 feet and the tail 5. It only stands 3-4 feet tall--at the head. Just noting so people stop thinking it's gigantic just because it's a dragon.)

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=namagomimk0>NamagomiMk0</A] at: 6/18/06 20:10

User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:24 pm

"Nice try," Dashe says to the goblin, "but I'm afraid we may not believe that easily. Which reminds me, how will we know your family if we see them?"

((This is true... but now I begin to wonder how many ranks of move silently it has? Especially since people were figuring out it was mechanical by the sounds it was making...))

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=darkknight61189>darkknight61189</A]&nbsp; Image at: 6/18/06 20:35

NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:55 pm

"...I really don't think any of us would make particularly convincing prisoners, you know," Adil replied to the goblin's suggestion.

(By the rules, it has no ranks. Not that this would matter, as it states in the rules that it takes a DC 20 Spot, not Listen check. Nowhere is it implied that it's identified by any mechanical sounds)


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:48 pm

"Irregardless of its ability to sneak, I doubt that bringing along something that requires audible commands to direct is a good idea," Varlak says. He can just imagine trying to infiltrate the camp with the dragon in tow, and the thought makes him cringe. While not large, it doesn't strike him as particularly sneaky, and the thing possesses no initiative whatsoever. No, bringing the dragon along isn't on the cards at all.

"Order it to follow Adil and protect him," he says, "That ought to ensure it gets into the thick of the fighting when the time comes."

"Tell me about Korhab," he says to the goblin, leaving the question of how to get into the encampment aside for now. It sounds like they'll need to see the ground to make a final decision, in any case. He isn't particularly wild about making a detour to rescue the goblin's family. He'd prefer to avoid that complication altogether.


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:33 am

"Well, if I come with you," the goblin says, "I can find my family and help them escape."

Then, after Varlak's request: "Korhab is the leader of the settlement; he's not a true chieftain, which is strange for a group of hobgoblins. He's a powerful cleric of Haluron*, and he rules because he's close to Haluron and he commands the ogres, especially Zrenka Gen Dahn. You...don't want to fight Zrenka Gen Dahn; I've seen him break a hobgoblin's arm with his bare hands without even trying. Anyway, the rumor around the camp is that Korhab is supposed to be summoning something, but no one knows what except him and the other clerics."

(<span style="font-size:xx-small;">*The god of tyrants and stifling order. Lawful Evil.</span>)


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby Kelne » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:33 am

Varlak frowns, "Do you know when he's supposed to be summoning this something?" He doesn't like the sounds of this at all.


NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:32 am

Adil's eyes narrow--he has a GOOD grasp on why they took the girl, and it really doesn't sound good at all. "I don't like where this is headed. I'd like to get her out of there as soon as possible, if at all. I honestly don't care about this Haluron thing, whatever it is...but this summoning thing...I have a REALLY bad feeling here." He then decided to look at the potions that he had looted from the goblin's former "allies", looking for any particular labels that designated what they were.


User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:18 am

"Well, it seems that now there's something more at stake..." Dashe said. This summoning business didn't sound good, but he wondered how powerful Korhab was.

"How powerful of a cleric is this Korhab? What sort of things have you seen him do?"

This other hobgoblin, the one that seemed to be extremely strong, also had him interested.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=darkknight61189>darkknight61189</A]&nbsp; Image at: 6/21/06 8:23

User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:47 am

The goblin shrugs at every question. "I know nothing else about him. He spends almost all of his time in the temple and commands us through the ogres."


NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:06 pm

"Question," Adil started to ask--there was a decently important bit of knowledge that could indeed help, "You've seen the ogres--I'm pretty sure we can guess as far as how well-equipped the hobgoblins from these three, but it'd help to know what these ogres have--just in case we have no choice."


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:23 am

The goblin thinks for a moment. "Well...Zrenka Gen Dahn is kept much better-equipped than these hobgoblins are, but the other ogres don't have quite as much. They're still going to be tough opponents for you, though."


User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:01 am

"And what do you mean by Zrenka Gen Dahn being better equipped? How is he better equipped?" Dashe asks.


NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:18 pm

"Likely three things," started Adil, "First, rather than a big stick or whatever they would carry, expect a better weapon. Secondly, rather than wearing stuff like that," he says, pointing to the dead archer's armor, "or that", pointing to the unconscious leader's breastplate, "it would be more like...that," as he points to Hargen and his full plate getup. "Lastly, I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was, say, magical."

This Zrenka Gen Dahn bastard was likely to be hell to fight--might as well estimate the worst with him.


User avatar
Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:51 am

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby Nakibe » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:35 pm

Ciele nods. "Sounds like a fair enough assessment to me. Although it'd be nice if our guests were a little more knowledgeable in this subject." Pity that things weren't that well in the group's favor just yet.

"Although more disturbing to me is this Korhab." Ciele spits out with obvious distaste. "Its never a good thing to find a cleric of Haluron with their hands in anything."


User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Planning, Strategy, and Tactics, not necessarily in orde

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:15 pm

"Well, I figured things would be generally better. That would only be common sense. No, I was wondering if he happened to have anything that, I dunno, shined abnormally, or something. Something that would be worth noticing?"


PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Yalogank