Starfall

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
JoshuaDurron
 

Re: And now, to start this thing moving along a bit more...

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:51 pm

Derrik's head popped out of the crawlspace, followed by the rest of him, and his tool kit. "Never mind checking the scanners, Liam. There's nothing visibly wrong. I'm gonna run a diagnostic..."

His voice trailed off as he headed off towards his big engineering consol at the far end of engineering, pulling up the diagnostic screen and typing in commands. It would take about a minute for the preliminary to come back on the scanners...


User avatar
ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:18 pm
Location: Sweden, Baby!

Ha, the Freedom-man is pleased.

Unread postby ChristianC » Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:18 pm

Phillipe nodded.

"<span style="color:gray;">I'm quite certain I've seen you around before, monsieur Edmynd</span>" Phillipe said with a obviously exaggarated french dialect. "<span style="color:gray;">But I'm pleased to meet you none the less.</span>" He reached out his hand.


CaptainCommando
 

Re: Ha, the Freedom-man is pleased.

Unread postby CaptainCommando » Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:57 am

The scout looked at Phillipe's extended hand and frowned slightly, but still shook it, however briefly, and even managed to resist the urge to wipe off his hand.

He had the feeling that the mechanic was somehow making fun of him by exaggerating his accent, but he still answered his greeting politely, "Pleased to meet you too Philip." Edmund said with a slight nod.


SALSAlys
 

Re: And now, to start this thing moving along a bit more...

Unread postby SALSAlys » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:54 am

Derrik could find nothing wrong.

Quite literally; NOTHING.

There was no feedback whatsoever, no information or input—

As if there were no scanners at all, not even malfunctioning ones.


JoshuaDurron
 

Re: And now, to start this thing moving along a bit more...

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:32 am

"Captian... this is Derrik. I'm at the diagnostic console right now, and I don't like what I'm seeing. According to what I'm seeing here, we don't have any scanning equipment on this ship, even though I had my hands in their innards not five minutes ago. I think something's gone serriously wrong with the internal maitenence systems. I recommend bringing the ship to a full stop until we find out exactly what's wrong, or something else might suddenly go wrong and we wouldn't even have a way of telling what it is." Derrik was walking back towards where Liam was while talking, and paused by the foot of the ladder when he got there, knowing full well the old man could hear everything he had said. He waited for a reply from Ake, while shooting Liam a look as if to say, "You ever seen anything like this in your time?"


FlamingDeth
Moderator
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:54 am

Re: And now, to start this thing moving along a bit more...

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:28 pm

Liam thought for a moment. There wasn't a problem with the equipment, they couldn't find a problem with the software, that left only one other obvious problem. Liam drug himself out from a panel in the third engine.

"Mayhap it be the connection between the sensors and the main computer?"


JoshuaDurron
 

Re: And now, to start this thing moving along a bit more...

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:52 pm

Derrik thought about that for a moment, then nodded. "If you're done with what you're doing, close up then go check on that. I'll monitor from here and wait for the captain's orders."


FlamingDeth
Moderator
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:54 am

Re: And now, to start this thing moving along a bit more...

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:22 pm

"Aye, lad." Liam responded, sliding down the ladder. "May take a while, though, if I end up havin' to check out the whole thing."

He picked up a tool kit and walked over to the sensor housing. The old man popped a panel off, and began inspecting the various cables coming out of it, before moving on to the next panel on the way towards the computer...


SALSAlys
 

I expect everybody to post now. Even Blazey.

Unread postby SALSAlys » Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:16 pm

"I'll relay that to Kyoko," Tanake replied.

Switching frequencies again, she began sending a message to the pilot....

* * *

Liam found everything to be working in perfect order as he moved. By the time he got to the third panel, though, the lights suddenly blinked off, then out.

Then they repeated, in all parts of the ship.

* * *

Kyoko could hear her captain speaking to her again.

'Kyoko, bring the ship to a stop. There's something seriously—" Just then, the lights flickered.

"WHAT IN BLOODY HE—?!" Abruptly, Tanake stopped speaking, biting her tongue to keep from more swearing. Kyoko could feel the webbing of her seat starting to tremble under her, beginning subtle vibrations that seemed ominous.

* * *

Jenni's gaze immediately flicked upwards when the lights first when out, then on again, causing her to blink and shield her eyes from the suddenness. Calvin and Jon broke off their training, bodies tensed.


User avatar
ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:18 pm
Location: Sweden, Baby!

Re: I expect everybody to post now. Even Blazey.

Unread postby ChristianC » Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:19 pm

"<span style="color:gray;">Hmm?</span>" Phillipe looked up at the lamps. His goggles had protected his eyes from the slightly blinding effect and he stared at them.

"<span style="color:gray;">Electrical discharge? What the hell?</span>" He looked at Jenni and Edmund and shrugged. "<span style="color:gray;">I'm going to the bridge to check if something's happened. Probably just those mechanics screwing up as usual.</span>"


FlamingDeth
Moderator
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:54 am

Re: I expect everybody to post now. Even Blazey.

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:25 pm

"No!" grumbled the aged engineer, groping about his toolkit for a flashlight. "No no no no no! What the blue bloody fock is just happened?!"

After he grabbed ahold of the flashlight, he turned it on and looked around. "Were we hit by somethin'? Lights dun just go off on their own, ye know."


SALSAlys
 

Re: I expect everybody to post now. Even Blazey.

Unread postby SALSAlys » Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:33 pm

As if to mock Liam, the lights continued flickering, almost a strobelight effect.


ArgusDevilmen
 

Re: I expect everybody to post now. Even Blazey.

Unread postby ArgusDevilmen » Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:38 pm

Kyoko felt a bit shaken up from that and glanced at the lights a bit puzzled.

Hai! I will bring her to a complete stop Ake-chan!

She began to go through the proper procedure's to bring the ship to a complete stop, wondering why she had a bad feeling about all this....


JoshuaDurron
 

Re: I expect everybody to post now. Even Blazey.

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:00 pm

Derrik pounded his fist on the console, yelling back at Liam, "If I could tell you we probably wouldn't have this problem. As it is, the diagnostics say nothing's wrong. Did you do anything odd while fixing the wiring in the mess hall?"


Blaze Yamato Spirit
 

OMG you want me to post???

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:23 pm

Candice was running across the moors, the wind tousling her hair and whistling in her ears. She grinned and came to a stop at the top of the hill, sitting and looking out on the sunset.

Suddenly, the ship slowed, and the change in motion brought Candice from her sleep back into reality. Moaning, she blinked, brushing her fringe from her eyes and sitting up in her bed.

'Wha....?'



CaptainCommando
 

Re: OMG you want me to post???

Unread postby CaptainCommando » Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:31 pm

We're slowing... this can't be good... Edmund thought, shielding his eyes. The lights were acting weird, increasing in brightness and then flickering. Not only that, but the ship was trembling slightly. The scout swallowed hard and stood up slowly, worried thoughts racing through his mind.

This was his first time on a ship, his first time in space, and it seemed like it might be going wrong. Edmund closed his eyes and mumbled a quiet prayer, hoping that nothing serious had happened to the ship.


FlamingDeth
Moderator
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:54 am

Re: I expect everybody to post now. Even Blazey.

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:40 pm

"Anythin' odd?" responded the older engineer. "I coulda soddered a cable straight fomr the lights in there to the sensors and it wouldn't cause this mess!"


JoshuaDurron
 

Re: I expect everybody to post now. Even Blazey.

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:05 pm

"OK," Derrik nodded, "back to basics. Just based on the five senses we got now, what's not working, and what's the most important? I can tell we're still moving, and the engines don't sound out of order. Yet. The lights are flickering, scanners are out, and quite possibly life support has failed and we just can't tell it yet. Have I missed anything that might make this look less like a worst case scenario?"


SALSAlys
 

*rubs hands* All RIGHT!

Unread postby SALSAlys » Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:48 pm

The ship's vibrations were continuing, strengthening and causing the floor to tremble under their legs. Jenni gripped a wall, leaning against it with her eyes shut tightly. Jon, in contrast, stayed in the middle of the room, relying on his balance to keep him stable.

Calvin was following Jenni's example, although his eyes were open, with his mouth in a hard, narrow line.

"Phillipe!" he snapped. "If you're going to go, GO already and find what the hell's wrong!"

* * *

Tanake was using a console to scan over the local system quickly.

"Derrik? Do you know what's happening? If not—" Her eyes landed on a planet that the scanners had picked up earlier. Not much else known about it, but there had been signs that it was capable of supporting human life. Not that they had landed on it and surveyed it more closely— the preliminary scan hadn't detected any of the ores or other resources that would have made it worthwhile.

"Do the engines look in shape enough for us to make a landing?"

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=salsalys>SALSAlys</A] at: 4/15/03 8:30:06 pm

User avatar
ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:18 pm
Location: Sweden, Baby!

Re: *rubs hands* All RIGHT!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:03 pm

Phillipe scowled, although it was hardly visible.

"<span style="color:gray;">Sheesh.</span>" He muttered and dashed off, trying his best not to crash into the wall as the ship rocked back and forth. They hadn't had this kind of turbolence since, since... They'd never had one of these before!

Phillipe managed to reach the bridge after some shaking, but as soon as he opened his mouth to say something the ship rocked and made his head impact on the steel-frame of the door.

"<span style="color:gray;">FUCK!</span>" He shrieked as he held to his head. When he looked at his fingers he could see blood on them, mixing with the oil and grease.

He didn't feel bad, really, so he shrugged and rushed up to Kyoko.

"<span style="color:gray;">You! What's going on, why're we shaking like this?</span>" He yelled at her.


JoshuaDurron
 

Re: *rubs hands* All RIGHT!

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:58 pm

Derrik snatched his mouthpiece up again before it fell off of his console and held it up to his mouth. "In all honesty, captain, I don't know." Between the beeps of diagnostics and the ever increasing rattle of loose equipment and the omnipresent humming of the engines, Derrik nearly had to shout to make himself heard. As it was, he was talking fairly loudly. "Engines are the only things still showing up in diagnostics, and they look fine. But I don't know how much we can rely on them. Gut instinct says we can make it, but it'll be bumpy, if not totally disasterous. We might not be able to take off again after the damage sustained. You might want to tell the crew to get to a secure location, and dispatch a distress beacon so the fleet knows where we are. I can put Liam on it, or better yet, if you find Phillipe he can do it."

Now it's possible Derrik was making recommendations out of turn, but old habits died hard, and his emergency instincts from the war were starting to kick in. He clicked the mouthpiece off and waited for the captain's response, while doing so he looked over at Liam. "If she put's Phillipe on it, you and I spend the next, possibly last few minutes making sure that engine get's the ship down safely. Any questions?" His normally calm demeanor had turn a bit fiercer, and clearly if there were questions, they would be summarily ignored, as Derrik was already clipping his mouthpiece to his collar, where it could be activated with his chin, and scrambling for the engines, starting with the one farthest down the row from that which they had been working on that day.


SALSAlys
 

Re: *rubs hands* All RIGHT!

Unread postby SALSAlys » Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:35 pm

Tanake mentally cursed, then switched to the frequency that would send her message throughout the ship.

"ATTENTION, crew. Get to a secure location. The beds in your quarters have straps on them for this purpose, so you can secure yourselves. Phillipe Mongrieu, move to help the other engineers with the engine. Sam Lemington, get a distress beacon to the fleet so they know where we're going. Kyoko, get the ship to land on the planet that we found last week, AJ-16."

* * *

Sam was awake in his quarters already, the vibrations having gotten him up. With his skinny body, he resembled a sprinting insect of some kind when he raced towards the transmissions center.

* * *

Calvin growled, moving towards his quarters, and Jennivere began moving herself along the wall, gripping it firmly as she walked so she didn't stumble.

Jon growled, then glanced towards the medical office. His eyes widened, realizing something, and he ran into it.


ArgusDevilmen
 

Re: *rubs hands* All RIGHT!

Unread postby ArgusDevilmen » Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:00 pm

Kyoko spun her head around when she heard someone yelling at her, she had just enough time to say a simple, "Nani?" Before hearing Ake-chans message.

She glanced at the controls and nodded to herself. "Haiiiii! Landing procedures!" Kyoko began to set a landing course for the planet AJ-16, she mumbled under her breath about how she had minimal information on the planet's surface so she had only a vague idea of how to go about entering the planets atmosphere. She sighed and slowly began to go about the stander atmospheric entry procedures, "I would got do as Ake-chan says if I were you Phil-kun!"


User avatar
ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:18 pm
Location: Sweden, Baby!

Engines? But I'm just a weapon engineer!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:35 am

Phillipe growled as he heard the message.

"<span style="color:gray;">Can't argue with the captain... ow.</span>" He said slowly, fingering the wound on his head. He began running towards the engine room, stopping every now and then to lean against the wall when the ship shook. As he reached the engine room he saw Derrik and Liam. Quickly he rushed up to the older engineer.

"<span style="color:gray;">Sir, what the hell's going on?</span>"


CaptainCommando
 

Re: Engines? But I'm just a weapon engineer!

Unread postby CaptainCommando » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:05 am

Edmund went pale as he heard the captains message ring through the ship. He wasted no time in following the Tanake's orders and quickly scrambled down the hall to his quarters, keeping his balance all the way and keeping up his prayers all the way.


JoshuaDurron
 

We'll teach you everything you need to know

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:22 am

"If I know, may God turn me into a canary. Unfortunately, as much as I enjoy little yellow birds, I don't. Right now our only priority is to make sure that the engines keep humming."


Blaze Yamato Spirit
 

Oohya, did we book the wrong cruise...

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:20 pm

Candice buckled herself in and lay there on her bed, wide eyed, staring at the ceiling. Clutched in one hand was a transmission chip, and in the other a worn photograph.

Maybe I'll be with you all soon... But this isn't the way I would have chosen to go...


User avatar
ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:18 pm
Location: Sweden, Baby!

Re: Oohya, did we book the wrong cruise...

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:11 pm

Phillipe nodded and rushed over to one of the machines.

"<span style="color:gray;">I don't even see any errors!</span>" He yelled as he ran over the panels with his eyes. "<span style="color:gray;">Everything's supposed to work perfectly well!</span>"


FlamingDeth
Moderator
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:54 am

No, just an exciting cruise!

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:25 pm

Liam, on the other hand, was already on the job, trying his hardest to keep the engines in one piece, while simultaneously attempting to keep his tools from flying away and hitting Derrick and Phillipe. The second task was decidedly more difficult than the first.


SALSAlys
 

No refunds available, sorry!

Unread postby SALSAlys » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:30 pm

Sam Lemington was working feverishly, sweat dripping from his brow. He smeared a bony forearm across it, wiping it away as he furiously clicked in a set of commands, then examined the wires about the room. Then he gulped, reaching an unhappy conclusion.

He took a headset, and adjusted a knob.

"This is Sam Lemington, communications officer. I regret to inform the crew that the ship—" His swallow was audible on the intercom. "That communication is impossible." His voice was bleak.


FlamingDeth
Moderator
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:54 am

Re: No refunds available, sorry!

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:04 am

"BLOODY 'ELL!" Liam yelled, easily audible from outside the compartment he was working on. "If it ain't one thing, it be another! I s'pose one o' us who ain't inside the engine at th' moment best go and do somethin' about communications, lest we end up unable t' call fer help once we crash this bucket onto a planet that may or may not have an atmosphere..."


JoshuaDurron
 

We do have a nice funeral plan....

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:57 am

Derrik's left hand reched out and grabbed a loose spanner, keeping his right foot on top of his tool kit to keep it from sliding away at the same time. He was visible only from the waist down, he was already so deeply buried into the engines. Obviously, he wouldn't be able to extract himself soon. "Phillipe, that would be you. Tell Sam that if we can't get any of the transmitters working, just shove a message in a bottle out the airlock. Anything to let the fleet know where we are."


Dark Xia
 

Re: We do have a nice funeral plan....

Unread postby Dark Xia » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:42 pm

Trickle trickle trickle trickle.

The stream flowed over rock and hill, and down dale on the surface of the planet known as "Llasar" to the Eyalla. And along its side, being careful not to step into the water or even touch a wet stone walked along the path besides it a Eyalla. Clad in her priestess garments, she looked up into the sun, cherishing the great light in the sky, the red jewel on her chest complementing it with its shine. She had walked this path many a time, along and with friends. She closed her eyes briefly while feeling the wind brush the skin exposed in the intricate pattern of white ribbons covered her torso. It was the traditional garb of her class.

Turning eyes then to the mountains that lay at the end of her path, she adjusted her primitive eyepieces. As the mountains came into focus she remembered that frightening experience from long ago, wishing she could just conjure up enough fire to burn all this water away.

Yet her reasonable part of her mind told her that they needed this water to survive, no matter how disgusting it may be. Plus only the fire god, Tristian himself could do such a thing...

Edited by: Dark Xia at: 4/18/03 3:45:50 pm

SALSAlys
 

Well, it's about to be used. (the funeral plan)

Unread postby SALSAlys » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:14 pm

Kyoko was able to maneuver the ship, preparing the landing, but the shuddering of the Trailblazer was growing worse... the pilot found herself bouncing wildly in her seat, the webbing giving spring that almost allowed her to flip.

Then, as they descended, a faint roaring could be heard throughout the ship, and there was a sudden series of jolts, and the ship falling.... Those who were not strapped down found themselves feeling weightless for several agonizing seconds before they crashed.

* * *

Kyoko was safely suspended in her seat, but the door was jammed half-open.

* * *

Derrik, braced within the engine of the ship, suffered little damage, except for some bruised flesh. Liam had managed to grab ahold of a girder protruding from a wall, and was all right, except for wrenched shoulders from clinging to his support.

Phillipe, though, was less lucky, flung across the room and crashing into a wall, managing to get most of it on his arms but still receiving a slight crack to the head before he grabbed another girder. Slightly nauseous and with a headache, he was still basically whole.

* * *

Edmund was all right, firmly strapped into the bed.

* * *

Jenni had been able to reach her bed barely in time, and had been bounced while trying to strap herself in... but was safe.

* * *

Calvin Dartmann was snug and safe in his bed.

* * *

Candice, without any injury from the harrowing experience, was in good condition... but once she unstrapped herself and tried to open the door of her room, she discovered that somehow during the crash, the structure of the door had been slightly warped, and she was trapped inside.

* * *

Sam Lemington had been spending the last few minutes trying frantically to see if he could do something, ANYTHING to release a transmission.... and during the final moment, when they collided with the surface of the planet, the side of the wall where he was working suddenly was crumpled, forcing itself in.

The communications center was not a large one; Lemington was crushed to death.

* * *

Eduardo Gominguez, with his specially designed wheelchair, had a harder time when trying to secure himself— a fact that the brawny Jon Nanderwelt had remembered, rushing into the room to help the doctor do so. A good act which deprived him of any time to strap HIMSELF in....

Jon had been flung against a wall, unable to react in time to avoid getting his skull cracked, blood trickling from the head of the corpse.

* * *

Then Tanake's voice was heard throughout the ship, on a crackling intercom. The captain herself was unharmed.

"Crew, please report to the central room of the ship."

* * *

Sylavi, the priestess could hear a roaring from the sky. When she turned her head, she could mark the rapid descent of a large, metallic object or beast, then hear a crash. She felt as much as heard it, feeling tremulations in the earth beneath her feet.

Curiousity got the better of the priestess, and she walked upstream to find it.

There, in the side of the mountain, was the ship. Part of its body was crumpled in on itself, and it glistened foreignly against the green vegetation surrounding it.

It was a fairly tranquil area, making the object seem even more odd. A deep pool was nearby, near the stream, fed from a series of small trickling waterfalls, and it seemed a place of serenity.

Except for, of course, the metal object.


Blaze Yamato Spirit
 

Re: Well, it's about to be used. (the funeral plan)

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:31 pm

Candice banged on the door for a second before pausing and taking the time to think. The crew would notice she was missing and come searching for her. She had but to wait - there was no reason to panic.


ArgusDevilmen
 

Re: Well, it's about to be used. (the funeral plan)

Unread postby ArgusDevilmen » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:32 pm

Kyoko sighed to herself, "Oi.... This is bad...." She grunted and managed to flip herself down onto the floor looking about the cockpit. "Oro......"

She walked over to the door, it was only half way open and jammed the rest of the way. "Well... I should be able to open it...." Kyoko placed her hands on the door and began trying to push it the rest of the way open.


SALSAlys
 

Re: Well, it's about to be used. (the funeral plan)

Unread postby SALSAlys » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:34 pm

Strain as she might, Kyoko couldn't force the door open any farther.


ArgusDevilmen
 

Re: Well, it's about to be used. (the funeral plan)

Unread postby ArgusDevilmen » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:40 pm

Kyoko grumbled somewhat. "Baka!" She kicked the door with her boot angrily. She leaned to one side to see if it was possible for her to squeeze through the half open part of the door.


SALSAlys
 

Re: Well, it's about to be used. (the funeral plan)

Unread postby SALSAlys » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:51 pm

It was a bit of a squeeze, but possible.


Dark Xia
 

Re: Well, it's about to be used. (the funeral plan)

Unread postby Dark Xia » Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:48 pm

After stopping for several moments and offering prayers to the gods, for protection, to apologize in advance if she was desecrating one of their possessions by stepping closer to the object. After taking one last deep breath she moved forward.

Could the gods have returned? What if it was the demons that had come back victorious? It was no use guessing she told herself as she crept up, only a foot away now, to the side of the object. She carefully began to survey it. Could this actualyl be... that she would talk to the gods? Walk with them in her life time! They would teach them how to harness magic to the fullest again, guide us, peace and prosperity for all.... Phew, she was getting ahead of herself.




PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Yalogank