The hell is this?

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

EKDS5k

The hell is this?

Unread postby EKDS5k » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:37 am

This is how my computer is displaying, among other sites, Penny Arcade. Note the Chinese characters inserted whenever something other than the 26 letters of the alphabet are used. It's been doing this for months, ever since my girlfriend used my computer to look up some sites in Japanese. It doesn't really bother me, as I can usually figure out what's being said regardless, but I'm selling my computer at the end of this week, and my sister will wind up with it. I'm not a huge fan of selling something that doesn't work like it's supposed to, especially when either me or Eri are inadvertently responsible for it.

Anyone have any idea how to make it stop? It doesn't do it for all sites, but often enough to annoy anyone who would care about that kind of thing.

wkz

Re: The hell is this?

Unread postby wkz » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:24 am

View -> Encoding -> Western European (Windows)
*Voila*. Problem solved.

Edit: What happens is, well, your computer thinks it is reading Japanese with lots of english characters, and tries to be helpful whenever something that looks like a japanese character's code comes along. So instead of that " ' ", you get something that people 1/2 way across the world from you reads.....

You can also try Unicode (UTF-8) or Western Eurpoean (ISO) for similar results (in the English language). <p>

Hmmm... A deviantart account, and nothing inside :(</p>Edited by: wkz at: 9/29/04 5:35 am

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:35 am

Alternatively, you could just reinstall the OS, which is standard procedure when selling a computer anyways. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>This month's "Transformer of the Month" is Pipes! He turns into a truck, and his primary function is not taking out the trash.</center></p>

wkz

Unread postby wkz » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:37 am

Yup. That too.
For best privacy results, ask someone knowledgable to do a "FDISK" and "FORMAT" before re-installing that OS. <p>

Hmmm... A deviantart account, and nothing inside :(</p>

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:27 pm

That's it? Interesting, and also stupid, because I've never touched that menu. Thanks.

Return to Discussion Forum