Theological Question #e

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Theological Question #e

Unread postby Animala » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:04 pm

<FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Has a dog Buddha nature or not?</FONT><FORM method=post action="http://p068.ezboard.com/frpgww60462frm11.processVote?topicID=583.topic"><table border=0 cellpadding=3 cellspacing=0 width="55%"><tbody><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="1"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Yes</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="2"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>No</FONT></td></tr></tbody></table><P><input type=submit value="Vote"></form>Show results</FONT> <p>

Behold! Sig figs!</p>

Uncle Pervy

Re: Theological Question #e

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:03 pm

Koss is to define his terms. <p>------------------
Greetings, large black person. Let us not forget to form a team up together and go into the country to inflict the pain of our karate feets on some ass of the giant lizard person.
</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:07 pm

I have meditated long and hard on this matter. I have undergone trials and tribulations that all who seek the answers to great questions must face. I have walked barefoot on hot coals and climbed mountains in no apparel other than my usual garments. I have pondered the nature of the dog, the cat, and the Buddha, particularly the Buddhas that have large potbellies that often decorate Chinese restaurants. I have sampled the General Tso's Chicken at aforementioned Chinese restaurants and have at great length considered the possibility of ordering a crab rangoon platter as an appetizer on my next visit. I have considered the consequences of any decision I make, and recognize that any definite answer must allow for a margin of error. I have attempted to bribe the more enlightened gurus with gifts consisting of rabbits with their feet still attached, for if a rabbit's foot were truly an article of good karma, it would still be attached to the rabbit.

My answer is yes. In coming to this conclusion, I have rejected the answers "no," "maybe," and "dy/dx = 5x^4."

I must now ponder the significance of the existence of peanuts. Perhaps I will soon arrive at a desirable conclusion for how the manufacturers get the nuts inside the shells. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:23 pm

Yes, a dog has the Buddha nature.

However, the same cannot be said for many people I know. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:58 pm

Brian wins. Anything I would have come up with in response to this topic would be vastly overwhelemed by his post.
<p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:02 am

I regret to inform you, but Brian loses. The correct answer is 'that's a stupid question.'

Brian's loss is only slight, however, as the remainder of his post is highly buddha-rific. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=priamnevhausten>PriamNevhausten</A] at: 10/10/03 2:04 am

Adrin

Unread postby Adrin » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:31 am

dy/dx=5x+4
=>dy=(5x+4)dx
=>y=(5x^2)/2 + 4x

This post has been brought to you by the Automated Math Response System. Solving differential equations since 4:00 PM.

Incidentally, why does e^(i)(pi)=-1?

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Re: ...

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:00 am

Why the hell did the "divided by two" get in there?

...Oh. I get it. *rolls eyes* <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:06 pm

Adrin: I'm not sure, but my math teacher always wanted to print shirts/bumper stickers that had the following message:

"We're -e^i(pi)!" <p>

</p>

Ajil6

Unread postby Ajil6 » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:24 pm

I'm thusly confused by the math equation. I demand explanations. <p>[--------------------------------------------]
FETUS. I am a FETUS.</p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:47 pm

Adrin loses, because AM's equation was dy/dx=5x^4, not dy/dx=5x+4.

The solution to the actual equation is y = x^5 + C, where C is determined from the initial conditions. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse</p>

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:38 pm

Yay for random constants! ....*Shakes his fist full of rue at them anyways.... since you know... his fist is full of it and all...*

Celeste of Elvenhame

Unread postby Celeste of Elvenhame » Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:45 am

Full of what exactly?

/arches a brow
<p>---------------Celeste of Elvenhame --------------- </p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:48 am

Rue. Duh. <p>
I am an <s>arrogant</s> elitist bastard.

And now, since I want to be unique like everybody else, quotes:
"People don't seem to realize, it wasn't a powerful ass poke. It was a powerful poke, to the ass!" ~ Lord McBastard
"So what you're saying is that Nintendo and Sony are in league with each other, and possibly the Red Skull?" ~ EKDS5K
</p>

Sicvic

Unread postby Sicvic » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:43 pm

dunno, im christian so i cant know anything about other religions besides mine.Image <p>------------------------------------
need help on spanish?feel free to contact me on msm </p>

PopoSujo

Unread postby PopoSujo » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:55 pm

I'd say that dogs definitely do have the Buddha nature.

How could one see a dog dragging it's butt across the carpet to scratch it without thinking, "That's the most tranquil thing I've ever seen..."

When I see a dog rolling around on it's back biting at the grass, I think, "Now that dog has reached nirvana."

And when that dog turns around and eat a pile of it's fecal matter, I think, "No way is that licking me..."

Just Damn Evil

Unread postby Just Damn Evil » Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:23 pm

The "d" in "dy/dx" stands for "derivitive", or the instantaneous change of that value in the equation of a line tangent to the function. dy/dx is therefore equal to the slope. "d" is a process, and you can't divide by it any more than you can divide by "+".

Also: no rational number to the power of an irrational one is ever rational.

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:01 pm

Except for the fact that e^-i * pi is in fact 1.

And I'm very sure Adrin knows his Calculus at least as well as you do, if not more. <p>

</p>

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:01 am

Er....Adrin knowing or not knowing his calculus doesn't change the fact that you can't just divide d out of an equation like he did. Like the man said, you'd sooner be able to divide by +.

Just Damn Evil

Unread postby Just Damn Evil » Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:38 am

If he were truly taught in the ways of calculus, he'd know to respect the ancient art. Math isn't a joke, son. It's an awesome power to be harnessed.

Also, AM: you are both right and wrong at the same time. If you put e^(i*pi) into the calculator, you will in fact get -1. (Interestingly enough, if you put (e^i)^pi in [which, logically, should get you the same answer], you get 0.0000000000001i more; probably an error of calculation)

Which means that "e" is probably defined by log:i*pi(-1).

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Geez, people...

Unread postby Animala » Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:25 pm

Okay, first of all:

Adrin took a mathematical shortcut. Technically, he should have integrated both sides of the equation with respect to x.

The integral of dy/dx with respect to x is y + a constant

The integral of (5x+4) with respect to x is (5x^2)/2 + 4x + a different constant.

Therefore y = (5x^2)/2 + 4x + C, where C is yet another constant.

Adrin's only real mistake was forgetting to add the constant of integration. And mis-copying the original problem.

Give him a break for using informal notation and lacking integral signs.

Secondly, e^(i*pi) = -1 is a form of Euler's Identity, which is a special case of Euler's Formula, which tells us that e^(i*x) = cos(x) + i*sin(x)

Plug pi in for x and see what you get.

And JDE is incorrect about how e is defined. e is not a number specially constructed to give that wacky relationship as JDE would imply.

e is actually defined numerically as the sum from n=0 to n=infinity of 1/n!

e is also defined as the base of the natural logarithm (which, incidentally, is "natural" because the derivative of ln(x) with respect to x is 1/x)

Yes, ln (x) came before e^x.

While JDE's definition may be correct (and I'm not sure it is) it's signficantly less useful than either of those definitions.

So AM is not both right and wrong. He's just right.

Incidentally, e^(i*pi) = -1 is actually pretty dull compared to this:
i^(-i) = (e^pi)^(1/2)

-White Knight <p>

Behold! Sig figs!</p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=whiteknightdelta>White]&nbsp; Image at: 10/18/03 1:29 pm

Adrin

Unread postby Adrin » Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:42 pm

*shakes fist* Darn you, Koss, and your number theory!

Anyway. The Euler identity is useful, esp. if you want to express imaginary numbers in the form re^i(theta), which can be very very helpful when you want to integrate a messy differential equation with sines and cosines and don't want to do the crapwork it would take you to integrate in terms of said sines and cosines.

Now, i wish that I could understand Fourier series. Fourier series make me cry. I have an exam on them in a week...

And, JDE, I can safely say that I know more math than you do. Whether I can apply it is an entirely different question. *shakes his fist of rage and arbitrary constants*

And always remember, JDE:
"Physics is to math like sex is to masturbation."
-Richard Feynman

Just Damn Evil

Unread postby Just Damn Evil » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:11 pm

Realize that quote takes on an entirely different meaning when spoken to a narcissist.

Adrin

Mathy math math

Unread postby Adrin » Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:42 am

Well, that's one differential equations test taken.

Not altogether too terribly bad, though I didn't quite finish the last question. I do hope they're nice with partial credit.

Equidimensional equations didn't screw me over! Yay~!

Return to Discussion Forum