Milk is Milk

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Milk is Milk

Unread postby Archmage » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:18 pm

Because milk is milk.

And because scare tactics are stupid.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:35 pm

Milk is also delicious.

I am aware that not everyone shares this sentiment.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Ark
Cho wants to kill with cute

Unread postby Ark » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:02 pm

I too adore the drinking of milk and find the taste delightful.

Mayhaps the pre-requirement of enjoying such a drink is being of the "manly" make.

And egads! :monocole: Milk is Milk!?
[img]http://www.fantasydragon.net/choark/Signature.jpg[/img]
Some detectives just have The Touch

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:18 pm

I like Milk! ... But that's not really what this is about. Anyway!

Skimmed over their main page breifly. I'll follow any links they make later. So far, nice article.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:16 pm

Read and understood. Personally I've always chosen my milk based on its taste, and the only difference I can taste is between 1%, 2%, and Vitamin D milk, not between different brands.

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:27 pm

Eh. I prefer skim. Very interesting, though...

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:20 am

what's interesting is that they completely discount the possibility of goat's milk:

also this is hilarious in that it is wrong-- there is certainly a difference between cows not given extra milk-producing hormones, and cows that are, and the milk that results. That, and if somebody /wants/ to have milk from cows that have not been fed antibiotics, that's..their decision?

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:06 am

The issue is claiming such milk as "hormone-free", which is a misleading phrase, since the milk isn't truly hormone-free. It could lead some to think that there are no hormones within it at all, rather than the intended meaning that there have been no milk-producing hormones given to the cow.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:16 am

Exactly, the milk is actually "artificially-added-hormones free". It's a quibble over language, but an important one as far as marketing and trade standards goes.

Ark
Cho wants to kill with cute

I'm here to babble! Babble on!

Unread postby Ark » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:05 am

And here's me just buying the cheapest superstore brand named milk available.

I have yet to try Goats Milk, unless people sneakily add it into cows milk bottles because no one can tell the difference anyway. I suppose though when you look at a cow and then a goat you just think the cows gonna make an awful lot more of it.

I actually miss getting milk in bottles on the door step, unforantly the milkmen started charging a lot more for there service, which then started being late far too often.

When is was really cold the far in the milk used to break through the top of the cap too. Hmmm, messy.

---

Don't know why but this kinda reminds me of the whole free range chicken farm eggs and the battery eggs: In the end the eggs basically taste the same but its more about how you feel over them treating the chickens rather then the taste/quality of the egg.

You want milk from a cow given something to produce more milk? Or a cow that justs eats grass? The milk is milk but how do you feel for the cow? Plus I think some people are just naturally wary of anything where SCIENCE has forced an "improvement" on. See naturally selecting the best milk producing cows to breed is fine but feeding something "none natural" to a cow so it produces better/more milk? That sets of alarm bells man. Soon we'll have super bugs and flying cows all over again!
[img]http://www.fantasydragon.net/choark/Signature.jpg[/img]
Some detectives just have The Touch

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Unread postby Archmage » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:13 am

Banjooie wrote:That, and if somebody /wants/ to have milk from cows that have not been fed antibiotics, that's..their decision?

It is their decision, but there is a question of marketing ethics involved. Why do they want milk from cows that have not been fed antibiotics? The majority of the time, the answer is because someone has been telling them that cows that have been given antibiotics produce milk that will, for example, cause cancer or other unwanted health problems. Which is not a claim substantiated by any research.

Some people are willing to spend extra money for products labelled "all natural," "organic," etc. without realizing that there's no major difference between them and products that are not "organic" in terms of health benefits. If someone wants to buy organic eggs or milk at six times the cost because they think they taste better, that's their prerogative. But some people are buying them because they have been misled to believe that they are "much healthier."

FlameRaven
Geek of Many Colors

Unread postby FlameRaven » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:17 pm

I didn't even realize there were these other varieties of milk out there. O_o If I get milk at all, it's just the cheapest 2% stuff that's on the shelf.

Just as long as it's not Japanese milk.
[url=http://parallelparchment.com]Parallel Parchment[/url]|[url=http://flameraven.deviantart.com]dA[/url]|[url=http://flameybird_art.livejournal.com]Sketch Journal[/url]

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:50 pm

...but Newtons are fruit and cake!

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:22 pm

lawl

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:58 pm

If milk is milk, then what's the deal with that stuff they serve at school cafeterias, which tastes like the Urine of 1000 Infernal Demons. They probably turn so many kids off to milk with that stuff that they should be sued or something.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:05 pm

...I have no clue what you're talking about, Seethe; all the milk I've had at school cafeterias has tasted just like normal milk.

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:26 pm

Seethe must have always had rotten milk, the ones I recall from school always tasted fine.
Well, except for the strawberry ones during Valentines Day. That always tasted spoiled.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:27 pm

I wouldn't put it past my old school system to buy <s>rotten</s> spoiled milk.

Except the stuff didn't exactly taste spoiled. It just tasted... like corn. Or rather, like milk mixed with corn juice.

It also might have been soy milk.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:08 am

Soy milk is the devil. My housemate once put some in my tea to see if I could taste the difference. My scream and the resulting hurled cup at the wall told her I could.

Damn shame too, I liked that cup.

Anyway, the milk I remember from school was deliciousness itself. Of course, in England you can have milk delivered daily to your doorstep in the wee hours of the morning. I used to judge whether I had stayed up to late if I heard the milk-man's electric float before I went to bed. That stuff was good, and damn fresh. Never been able to find milk like it except in places that have special deals with local farms. Mmmmm....milk.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:29 am

They used to have that in the US too, but that was decades ago.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:25 am

I miss the milkman. One of my favorite things about England.

Return to Discussion Forum