A RANT. About RPs. All new to forum, please READ THIS FIRST.

A haven of general sanity and simplicity--this is the place for all ye new posters, chatters, and RPers to post your introductions, questions, and general whatnot. Come in and break the ice!

Moderator: pd Rydia

Archmage144

A RANT. About RPs. All new to forum, please READ THIS FIRST.

Unread postby Archmage144 » Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:12 pm

ALRIGHTY.

Now, I've noticed a lot of people, new people, coming into the forum. We get that. It's nice, sometimes, to pick up a few new RPers, see a few new faces, get an influx of new people, and sometimes, they're quality writers and RPers. Yay for us!

However, what I do NOT wish to see is the integrity of the RPing community here at RPGWW being flushed down some cosmic toilet as a result of a large number of incoming people who do not share the vision that RPGWW is a representation of. I have been here since August--been staff since roughly December--and continue to RP, both in chat and on board, as I did before. Our RPers and all members of our community have contributed to the creation of our RP world, the organization and categorization of said RP world, and the development and advancement of the RP world. I do not wish to see that degnerate or be lost as a result of new people who misunderstand our aims.

Here, we are devoted to QUALITY RPing and writing. The difference between quality RPing and writing and subpar quality RPing and writing lies in many factors:

1. Dedication to the RP itself, any given RP, and preserving said RP.
2. The use of correct spelling, grammar, capitalization, punctuation, and diction.
3. The understanding that an RP is not a thing to be created and discarded.
4. The understanding that RPs are not necessarily wars, nor are they haphazard battles. Combat is neither a requirement, nor an encouraged part, of any RP. It is instead optional and should be tempered to the audience.
5. Staying in character, or IC, to the fullest extent, and being careful to remain so. OOCing, or misroleplaying, a character, is not appreciated. Roleplaying is called "roleplaying" for a reason.
6. The life of an RP is a valuable, fragile, and precious thing. Creating and discarding an RP is not acceptable--an RP is a committment. RPs require time, planning, and patience.

These are the fundamentals of RPing endorsed here at RPGWW. This is not Rhydin, Ayenee, a DBZ RP board, or anything of that nature. Higher standards and expectations are presented here. Everything that happens within these forum boundaries has a purpose--and everything that does not is to be discarded. Purposeless things belong in the spam forum.

I am deeply disturbed, in particular, by the direction some of the new threads have turned themselves--outsiders who are, perhaps, used to the style of RP which basically consists of "fight, duel, war, be fair or I kick you out." This is not roleplaying. This is combat, and combat alone does not constitute TRUE roleplaying. Roleplaying is about taking a character, or group of characters, and writing a story. Their story. It is dramatic, it is moving, and ideally, it should have depth and purpose, clarity and direction, and meaning to its existence. THIS is the mission statement of RPGWW. Creating an RP is an act which should not be taken lightly.

Thusly, I have decided to create an "RP Graveyard" section of the forum, and it is to serve as an example to all who visit and observe these forums. It is less a location to discard dead RPs--rather, it serves the pointed purpose of telling any and all "please, don't do this. This isn't how it's done."

If anyone has anything to add on this subject, please add it.

If not, please do not.

My deepest apologies if I have offended anyone. I intend to post this in all three of the RP related forums, mainly since we lack CSC Gold and cannot make the topic sticky, and since the purpose of its existence is to be seen. By everyone.

~Archmage, RP Webmaster and Admin
<p><center><table><tr><td><table><tr><td>Image</td><td><center>The Archmage:
Sadistic GM or handsome bishounen? You decide!
RPGWW! Beware of GM!

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."~Voltaire, French Philosopher
"Learn about art, Captain. When you understand a species' art, you understand that species."~Grand Admiral Thrawn
"Love is when 72 billion monkeys steal a porsche and drive it off a cliff."~Rube</center></td><td>Image</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></center></p>

pd Rydia

cooorn

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:14 pm

To address/answer some common problems/questions:

<small>• Before starting a board-based RP, introduce your RP idea and recruit RPers in OOC Discussion subforum. Besides a plot teaser anywhere from one to several paragraphs in length, you'll want to include details such as in what world it will take place, what system you'll be using, how many characters you'd like, and any other such guidelines.

• If you are an RPer looking to join an RP, all board-based RPs should be advertised in the OOC Discussion subforum before they begin, so that'd be a good place to look for recruitment threads. It is not a good idea to look through the RP forums, as most RP threads are closed to new RPers, even if not specifically labeled as such. Please do not post in an in-progress RP requesting if you can join--that is what the OOC forum is for. Keep in mind that new board RPs do not open up often and their frequency of occurrence may vary.

• Chat-based RPs take place over AIM and occur in two general varieties; character interaction (CIRP) and GMed. CIRPs occur with greater frequency than any other form of RP and are the easiest of RPs to get into; simply join in the regular AIM chat and ask if there is a CI going on. Sometimes, a CIRP will evolve into a GMed chat RP; meanwhile, some GMed RPs will turn into a CIRP when the plot runs its course. GMed chat RPs are sometimes but not always advertised in the OOC forum.

• Never underestimate the value of spending time familiarizing yourself with the community before charging in headlong. There are many things to learn about RPGWW--not just about the way we RP and about our RP world, but also about the people here.</small>

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=pdrydia>pd]&nbsp; Image at: 11/10/04 8:56 am

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Re: *repeats self*

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:40 pm

"[3] It's my personal suggestion, as a long time RPer and member of RPGWW, that newer RPers just experience RPGWW --AS it is, AT the time of your joining-- until you've been around long enough to "get your footing.""

Okay. I've been in this community for a little while now - I believe almost a year, though I haven't exactly been counting. I've also created quite a few additions to Gaera (the "standard" RPGWW world), and become involved in quite a few RPs, both on the board and over AIM. While this by no means qualifies me to the extent of people like Dia, who have been here pretty much from the beginning, I think I'm capable of giving new RPers advice about what will and won't be acceptable here, as well as general advice.

Thusly, I volunteer myself to you as someone you can ask about this sort of thing.

If you have AIM, my SN is "consolelover". If not, email me @:
"blazeyamatospirit@hotmail.com".

pd Rydia

contacts

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:37 am

Aye. Blaze is a good person to consult in general about RP-related whatever. *nods* Blaze is actually BETTER to contact than I am, because I'm normally, well, busy. >_>

Other good people to contact about RP related things--and this is by no means an all-inclusive list (AIM contacts in parenthesis where available):<ul>-=- on matters philsys -- Daien (A Rockin SN, Daien01), Divinegon (DraconicKobold), FlamingDeth, (OverlordMegatron), Jak (Jak Snide), Nakibe (CGNakibe), Namagomi (T3chn0Namagomi), Shinigori (TheWaiChibiAngel), Squintz (THENinjaRabbi), Archmage (Arch mage144), and Phil himself
-=- on other matters -- all of the above, as well as Blaze (Yamatoblaze), DWSage (DWSage008), Idran (Idran1701), Capntastic (Brodzky Zero), Kelne (Kelne2261), Ladydragonclaws (EternalDragonAya), Uncle Pervy (SongstressEnlil), Vampire Jester Jinx (OMG Dirty), Will Baseton (PsychoWarden2002)</ul>Also, if you have read the information on the website and have remaining questions, always feel free to post your questions up on the OOC board.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=pdrydia>pd]&nbsp; Image at: 11/10/04 8:55 am

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Re: *repeats self*

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:05 am

You are correct when you say I don't mess with PhilSys (I have in the past touched on the system, and I got reasonably good at balancing spell/technique costs with damage, etc., but little else), so yes, there is little point in consulting me about PhilSys matters, unless there is absolutely noone else online and you desperately need an answer RIGHT NOW. In which case I can't guarantee I can help you, but there you go.

GreatMasterHIM

<Begins to clap>

Unread postby GreatMasterHIM » Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:07 am

ArchMage, that speech was one of the greatest I have ever heard concerning Role-Playing. In all my years, I have never heard anyone speak to profoundly about this subject. Your ideals are exactly the same as my ideals when creating a characters, and adding them to a world in which to grow and learn. Characters are not merely toys to be used; they are supposed to grow beyond what one initially has them as, not to be stuck forever in the same loop.

Your words are the words of all great Role-Players, the kind you learn to respect and treat as masters of the written word, not bumbling fools who are never able to see the true possibilities of their characters. In fact, you are the reason I currently have an account here. Anyone who speaks so deeply and emotionally about their art deserves deeper investigation...

Dark Raver

WEEEEe

Unread postby Dark Raver » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:37 am

Not only do I have nothing valuable to say, but I spammed a very important topic with idiocy!

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=archmage144>Archmage144</A]&nbsp; Image at: 1/23/03 6:58:53 pm

Magus the dark prince

Hope for RP.

Unread postby Magus the dark prince » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:04 pm

Role Playing has really degenerated lately. I've been away from chat RP since about January, and when I recently had the chance to come back in, I was disturbed by the amount of...well...bullshit I saw.

I'm talking about Yahoo chat here, as I don't go into the AOL chats (I can't...), and I can't say I can blame anybody for grouping Ayenee in with the DBZ RP boards. 90% of Ayenee is a disgruntled mass of pointless, prepubesent rage mocking the name of good RP.

Point is, I'm tipping my hat to your rules, even though I'm a hardcore Ayenee RPier at heart. The Ayenee Boards have mostly great RP going on, since the rabble in chat doesn't come around.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent about the rabble, and give you some props for Gaera. There is hope for RP yet, at least where the public isn't around...heh.

Payce,
Magus <p>"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest fear is fear of the unknown." -HP Lovecraft</p>

Vera Yevtushenko

Re: Hope for RP.

Unread postby Vera Yevtushenko » Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:50 pm

Geez, Magus, why do I always feel that I am mimicing you. Image Must be that uncanny wisdom of yours. Image

Anyways. Ditto what he said with a few exceptions. I've been hiding in private rps for the past...year and a half and am finally coming back to ayenee with much dismay.

Either way, the boards over there are pretty slow, at least when Magus isn't sending me on nonsense missions. Was just wondering if an not-so-Ayenee-Ayeneian would be welcome here provided I follow the rules and don't make too big of an ass of myself.

--Vera--

pd Rydia

<--- bread

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:11 pm

Of course you're welcome here. Hope you enjoy your stay here. Be sure to hop into our AIM chat (linked from the RPGWW website). <p>

Hello, I'm Dia, a dragongirl. And I bite. RAWR!
-=- "BAD raspberry!!!" -- Solis (Nakibe)
-=- "Magic. As in, big flashy dink!" -- El Bob (Squintz)
-=- "Choark! Never, EVER take off my pants again!" -- Hakaril (Archmage144)
-=- "I smell ye! I know that taint o' pathetic anywhere!" -- CaptainPervy (UnclePervy)</p>

Luto Amost Huto Pvackshaw

Re: ...

Unread postby Luto Amost Huto Pvackshaw » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:07 am

"Archmage 144, WOW, I agree with everything you said." <p>

<center>[url=http://pub237.ezboard.com/bsolarishumanus>Image</center>[/url]</p]

Luto Amost Huto Pvackshaw

Re: ...

Unread postby Luto Amost Huto Pvackshaw » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:02 am

Archmage 144, I have shown an admin to another board where I play what you have said above about rpg. She, Capt Anita Thomas would like permission to quote you and put it on the other board. I will email you if you like to give you the other board as I do not want it to appear like I am spamming when I am not.

I only agree whole heartedly with the rpg values you stated, so does Capt Anita Thomas. <p>

<center>[url=http://pub237.ezboard.com/bsolarishumanus>Image</center>[/url]</p]

Elementalist Daien

Re: A RANT. About RPs. All new to forum, please READ THIS FI

Unread postby Elementalist Daien » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:19 am

Take me to your leader!

... Joking aside. I'm glad the view is shared.

TheGreatUkGamer

Unread postby TheGreatUkGamer » Fri May 07, 2004 4:19 pm

Thatwas beutiful <claps> <talkng about first post> <p>I am so smart! I am so smart! *shot*</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=thegreatukgamer>TheGreatUkGamer</A] at: 5/7/04 4:22 pm

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:22 pm

Bump *Edit*

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=fffanatic80>FF]&nbsp; Image at: 6/5/05 19:24

Return to The Newcomers Forum