The hell?

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

FlamingDeth

Re: On the side!

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:33 pm

This is just about the most impressive act of trolling I've ever seen. There's probably a market on the internet somewhere for this crap if you can pull it off so professionally. <p>

You must obey the dance commander, giving out the order for fun!</p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:50 am

I'm not entirely sure what we should do about the issue with new folks. I mean, Shini is going to be an ass regardless of whether it's a new person or a familiar face. That's Shini. But Kate's point is quite valid; we haven't had very many new people in a decently long time, and really, that's kind of a shame. Not that being familiar with the group in general is bad, but fresh blood means fresh ideas and community evolution.

I don't want us to start accepting crappy DBZ-style RPs, though. What makes this forum great is that the vast majority of RPs held amongst its members are top-notch as mature, character-centric (rather than combat-centered or puzzle-oriented) efforts go.

The problem with that, of course, is discernment. There's a lot of people out there who love crappy RPs (I hate to bring it back up, but Kate knows this perhaps best among us), and it would weaken us if we endorsed dumbness for the sake of having more people, in the hopes that 'we can change them'--because sometimes, you just can't. I know I would love to recommend some of my IRL contacts to this boardset, except for this consideration. Which kind of makes me sad about these contacts.

Suggestions? <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

LadyDragonClawsEDW

Unread postby LadyDragonClawsEDW » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:08 am

Not a suggestion, but can you clarify what you meant in your final parenthesis there about me? It's 1 AM and I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or poking fun at the other places I RP at. o_O

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:17 am

It should be known that I do make it a point to try and personally contact all newcomers via AIM. If they do not have AIM, I will tell them they should get it, which is only fair seeing that is what 60% of the community's communications are based in.

I try and encourage new people to stay, should they pop in here and seem somewhat decent. Of course, while new people are good, the risks of trying to actively snag new people are too many to list.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:31 am

I was actually referring to the Ayenee that I'd heard you attended prior to RPGWW, about which I have heard there are a large number of horror stories. If there is some merit to be had there and/or you still RP there, then I rescind my offensive tone. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:48 am

It's not really that surprising that we don't get many newcomers. After all, there are precious few points of entry to the community. In the early days, of course, we were more-or-less officially affiliated with RPGWorld, and got a fair number of people who'd read the comic, and of course there was a fair amount of interaction with the Adv forums.

Nowadays, RPGWorld is officially dead, though I'm rather shocked to see that we're still linked on the main page. I can't say I've visited the Adv forums in quite some time, but I'm pretty sure we haven't had any visitors from there in an age.

Which begs the question - where do the new people come from? My best guess is that we get the occasional random person who's running through communities devoted to RPGs, and of course the occasional drive-by-spammer, and that's about it.

As for the question of what's to be done about this state of affairs, well, there is that ezboard ring thing down at the bottom of the page. I never use it due to the fact that all the boards on it seem to be defunct. But it might be worth revitalising it, seeing if we can add a few quality RP boards whose members wouldn't mind adding us to their own rings in return. Something to consider, at any rate. <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:31 am

I'm probably in the minority in this opinion, but to be honest, I wouldn't really care if we had a few people who just wanna roleplay "Final Fantasy: After Jenova" or "Dragon Ball XZ"

Some people seem to overlook the fact that back in the day, we really weren't much better. But over the years, we did all mature and our RP'ing evolved with it. Hence Gaera being what it is today, a world born from a past of spammy godmodding.

I'm not asking the more 'mature' forumgoers to participate in those kinds of RP's, I can understand why people dislike those, and would rather be more creative with their own ideas. But I don't see why we want to completely dismiss people like that. Sure, some may be complete asshats, but it's not like you don't run into that problem with the 'mature' roleplayers either =P

If people are having fun with settings like that, what's the problem? Who knows, a couple of them could turn out to be decent RPers too.

...or I'm just overly optimistic. =[

LadyDragonClawsEDW

Unread postby LadyDragonClawsEDW » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:41 am

OOOH, I see. Yeah, I haven't been thinking much about Ayenee lately but you're right, I have a good deal of seedy stories from the bowels of that dimension.

It wasn't pure hell, I met Taiar there and he's been my friend ever since and despite the shitty environment, I did learn how to RP and expand my actions into more detailed descriptions. It's sort of like theater, you have to see bad RP to appriciate good RP (also one of the reasons I watch BRPS, through all the bitching, there are at least some things to learn about RP etiquiette).

But yeah, overall, Ayenee RP is shit and I haven't touched the place for at least five years.

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:55 am

Dave's post reminds me of the fact we once ran chat RP's based on Final Fantasy 7, where I played a rather cheeky Yuffie who seemed to want to get too close to Red. <p><div style="text-align:center"> </div>
<div style="text-align:center"> Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center"> </div></p>

LadyDragonClawsEDW

Unread postby LadyDragonClawsEDW » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:07 am

I remember that, Cho! That was so much fun.

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:59 pm

I remember that too! I pulled out Rufus' speech, well, I think quite well. <p>"DO YOU THINK YOU CAN DEFEAT US? OUR TREASURE MAY BE HEAVY, BUT WE ARE LIGHT AS WIND. ONLY MAGICS MAY HURT US, BUT ONLY WE KNOW WHICH ONES." --Omoikane, Digital Devil Saga 2</p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:16 pm

I know I haven't been around in a while, but I just wanted to continue this debate as it seems quite interesting to me.

My question really is: why do you want new people?
<p>

"Moreover, when on the following night, much to his dismay, [Caesar] had a dream of raping his own mother, the soothsayers greatly encouraged him by their interpretations of it: namely, that he was destined to conquer the earth" - Suetonius, The Twelve Caesars - Julius Caesar, chapter 7</p>

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:21 pm

We want new people because a lot of our "older" members are no longer around. If no one else joins or gets involved in any capacity, you can see what the population and activity level will eventually look like.

I personally am more concerned with the "getting new RPers" aspect of the issue, but that doesn't mean it's the most important aspect. Having new folks on the forum would be great to stave off some of the stagnation we've been trying to shove under the rug for years. <p>-------------------------
"It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor." -- Sandman "The Kindly Ones" </p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:11 pm

Why DON'T we want new people?

Also, what Kai said.

Also, because ____ was a new person, and now we have them. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">dictionary.com | encyclopædia dramatica</div></p>

RebelKitsune

Unread postby RebelKitsune » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:06 am

Dia raises a good point! Everyone was new to RPGWW at one point until... well, until they weren't! And now I'm pretty sure that the vast majority (to save from saying 'all' for certain rare exceptions) of our used-to-be-new members are valued parts of the community.

I'm sure that in at least some of the people who are brave enough to make that first post, there's some really great stuff waiting to be let out which can seriously contribute to RPGWW. It's a hassle to have to sift through all those who don't, but when you do come across that one more member who can contribute and possibly make things a little more varied from what we've likely grown accustomed to, I think it's more than worth it.

Quote:
where I played a rather cheeky Yuffie who seemed to want to get too close to Red.

Man, those were good times.

Good times. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=rebelkitsune>RebelKitsune</A]&nbsp; Image at: 6/20/06 8:17

Previous

Return to Discussion Forum