I've been wondering about something.

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

CronoLuminaire

I've been wondering about something.

Unread postby CronoLuminaire » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:29 am

This community has a number of artistic bases covered.

A number of visual artists, share their talents and have an exchange of feedback and criticism from people who understand that craft. Resources are pooled, and linked to. It makes for a better place, and better artists all around.

The same could be said of the literary arts. Poems and Prose are posted, and critiqued. Feedback and suggestions are given, and again one hopes for the result of a better place, and better writers all around.

Now, I wonder about another kind of art. The auditory kind. I don't know how many such artists are members of this community but I know there are at least a few. I don't know what they would call themselves either. They might prefer composer, arranger, remixer, whatever instrument they play + -ist, whatever instrument they play + player, or perhaps even musician. It doesn't matter, I am just wondering if this community of creative people has an interest in covering this base. Sharing resources, offering feedback and critique, bettering the community and the musicians. Is there any interest in this sort of exchange?

Just something I was wondering about.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Re: I've been wondering about something.

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:20 pm

Huh.

Well, I sing. But, I haven't recorded anything (at least, on the computer) since my sound system crashed and burned.

But, something occurs to me. My sister's sound is working fine. I don't know if she has the prepackaged sound recorder, but if she does, dear god will I ever download a new one.

Write me some music, if someone out there writes sheet music. I'll sing it. Can we say, theme song? <p>

<div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:27 pm

Hm.

I have musical midis on my computer from Will(Baseton), Shaun, and Ross (Blaze Yamato). Will at least used to play the trumpet, Spleen plays an instrument, as does his friend whose board SN I forget offhand; I also seem to recall Spleen once posting links to midis (or another sound format) on the art forum, looking for feedback (and not getting much).

There's also all the sound files on the website--voiceacting stuff, mostly playing around. Amanda has a fair bit of skill at the thing, but I don't know if we really have any good examples recorded. Neverah has mentioned once that he's good at VAing, but we don't have any examples of such. (He offered to get some friends together and do a drama of an RP scene if we got him a script).

The files in one fo the meets/Sugoicon folders--an interview type thing--was pretty fun and creative, in my opinion.

Traditionally, I've been more likely to give critique if approached individually over IM. I'm less likely to sound like an idiot (in front of many people) that way--because I don't know that much about music, and all, like I do about writing or even art. Also, part of it depends on who wants the critique, and whether or not I think they'll respect my limited abilities in that area.

[edit] Wow, I totally forgot; Cha is a total ham. He recorded some great sound files for my GAIM alerts. He should try his hand at VAing. D=

[edit^2] And Mike sings awesome. =D <p>
<div style="text-align:center">dictionary.com | encyclopædia dramatica</div></p>Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 11/28/05 12:30

CronoLuminaire

Unread postby CronoLuminaire » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:47 pm

Yeah, I actually have one of those kidding around VA things, around somewhere. It's called "Dan Speaks," it was hilarious.

But I'm also wondering about what some of our musicians know. I dabble in piano but I feel like I don't really have command over the instrument. I also am not good at reading sheet music, and have never tried writing it.

I sometimes improvise vocals and piano. But I usually compose things note by note using a crippled-down version of Reason, called Reason Adapted. Which a neat tool for making music come out of your head and allow others to hear it, without having to be some kind of virtuoso. I'd get the full version in a heartbeat, if it weren't for the 500$-ish price tag.

I am wondering about what other tools are out there. Tools for composing, tools for encoding. And all sorts of other things that I don't even know about. I've got a bit of stuff sitting around in wav format, and I made a couple of cds for folks I'm close to, to listen to. But that seems highly impractical for folks I can't hand the cd too.

I am wondering about what other tools are out there. Tools for composing, tools for encoding. And all sorts of other things that I don't even know about. I've got a bit of stuff sitting around in wav format, and I made a couple of cds for folks I'm close to, to listen to. But that seems highly impractical for folks I can't hand the cd too.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:06 pm

I play the trumpet and the drumset. Darkknight plays the saxophone, flute, clarinet, and piano.

I compose, a little, but I haven't really done anything with it in a while. I use Finale for my composing, which is a great program but is very, very expensive.

I'll try and find some of my MIDIs later. <p>-_-___-___-___-_-

"Even if you have lots of hit points, a dagger through the eye is a dagger through the eye."
-Dungeons and Dragons Player's Handbook v3.5, page 145

"I don't know who's a bigger fool: Him for going, you for following, or me for not leaving you both."
-Demona, Gargoyles (Episode 11: Long Way to Morning)</p>

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:45 pm

I can sling a decent electric six-string.

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:55 pm

Spleen, I demand you link people to "Ninjas from the Government". <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare
Also, when you've worked a 36-hour shift as an intern you too just might pour yourself a catful of coffee and sit down to cuddle with your travel mug. -eirehound
</span>

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:34 pm

Kristen plays the Clarinet pretty well, I think. But it's an instrument that REALLY needs to be played with something else to be fully appreciated.

Which means I have to ship her out to one of you other musical types some day. :o <p>

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:35 pm

I sing, and as well, if people give me sheet music, I'll likely be able to sing it. Provided its in my range, which is Bass 2.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:24 pm

Ganon: Yeah, mine too.

Zem: OKAY! <p>-_-___-___-___-_-

"The universe is all in the mind that perceives it, and sensation is the first and only reality. If a tree falls in the forest with no creature to hear it, then there is no tree."
-Dungeons and Dragons: Complete Arcane, page 167

"I don't know who's a bigger fool: Him for going, you for following, or me for not leaving you both."

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:27 pm

Someone needs to upload the audio file, or make a new one.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:51 pm

I'm a tenor, by the way. Can get down to baritone if you ask nice enough. <p>

RedEye Dragon89

Unread postby RedEye Dragon89 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:40 am

<---Jazz pianist.

Still working on the jazz part. And pianist. <p>

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:15 am

Pianist. I've actually got a microphone now, though I'm currently a bit burnt out on keyboards. If I do anything, it'll likely be VA or otherwise being silly.

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:07 pm

Jazz/Classical pianist, I've arranged for instrumental and computer ensemble before (though I don't have any of the stuff I need to arrange for computer right now- I did it in a lab I no longer have access to), I can sing/act/voiceover, and I'm a decent drummer/good chromatic percussionist. <p>[---------------------------]
"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung

"I eat the talking bees because I am George Washington Christ"
-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

Groxley Grunk

Unread postby Groxley Grunk » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:13 pm

Sometimes, when I'm driving in my car, I drum on the steering wheel.

I like to think I'm good at that.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:39 pm

... honestly, Steve. If you were an accomplished MUSICIAN on top of being a kickass artist, I'd have to James Dean your sorry ass... <p>

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:59 pm

I'm actually right now working on the MIDI backgrounds for Ninjas From The Government, so I can sing the lyrics over actual chords and stuff and not have to mumble "This is the bass solo" when I have two measures of rest. <p>-_-___-___-___-_-

"The universe is all in the mind that perceives it, and sensation is the first and only reality. If a tree falls in the forest with no creature to hear it, then there is no tree."
-Dungeons and Dragons: Complete Arcane, page 167

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:15 pm

I sing tenor on occasion. Mostly at church and when noone else is around. I wouldn't say I'm good at it, which means I have an inordinately difficult time with solos, mostly stemming from an acute lack of confidence. I wouldn't say I'm bad at it either, though, which means I am not completely incapable of solos.

Mike always puts me to shame with gossamer strands of melodic perfection befitting of the son of the Creator of All Things. Or maybe I'm just a little jealous. Either way, the man's got skills.

I used to have a go at the ol' trumpeting back in high school, but It's been years since I touched the thing. I was halfway decent at it, but I was never any good at playing rapid note sequences. Never really got the hang of that whole "tonguing" thing. Yea, being a trumpet player and not knowing that is like being hispanic and not being able to roll your "R"s.

Did I mention that I can't roll my "R"s?

Anyway, as far as non-musical aural talents go, Reako's not half-bad at VA on occasion, and I'm usually good at spontaneously faking random emotions, which I guess one could argue makes me a somewhat passable actor, kind of. I dunno, I've never really tried it. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=brainwalker>BrainWalker</A]&nbsp; Image at: 12/2/05 18:16

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:50 pm

Oh yeah, speaking of non-musical vocal talents, I've been an actor for random theatre plays since the 8th grade... And me being a Junior in college now, I've had quite a lot of acting experience.

Iceexplosive

Unread postby Iceexplosive » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:12 am

Groxley Grunk

Unread postby Groxley Grunk » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:05 am

Aww... and here I was hoping that one of Ice's demos ended up on one of the Demo Round Ups. And that'd be hillarious and sad. Or hillarious because it's sad. Either or.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:09 am

I was gonna post a link to a Demo roundup and allude to something thusly, but I was on a friend's computer and about to head out the door.

Return to Discussion Forum