Anyone know anything about earphones?

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Anyone know anything about earphones?

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:38 pm

I need a new pair of earphones because mine broke and the new ones my mom got for me suck, because I can't hear the bass at all.

I'm looking for ones that are compact enough to fit in my left pocket with my cell phone, full set of black d20 System dice, keys, flash drive, fun rubber hi-bounce ball, and MP3 player.

However, I don't know shit about earphones! So someone should tell me if these are any good. I've got a total of $110 in Best Buy gift cards, so any alternatives should come from there. <p>-_-___-___-___-_-

"The universe is all in the mind that perceives it, and sensation is the first and only reality. If a tree falls in the forest with no creature to hear it, then there is no tree."
-Dungeons and Dragons: Complete Arcane, page 167

"I don't know who's a bigger fool: Him for going, you for following, or me for not leaving you both."
-Demona, Gargoyles (Episode 11: Long Way to Morning)</p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Re: Anyone know anything about earphones?

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:26 pm

I would say those sound good, but you should consider looking closer at them to see if they have a good ergonomia. By that I mean, is it a pain in the ass to keep them in your ears?

I personally use a muff-style (as opposed to the above's bud style) set whose two pieces are completely separated except by wire, and whose muffs hang on the ear by small hooks. The bass is sufficient for me, but then again I rarely listen to music on my terminal so take that with a grain of salt.

Also, Our Josh knows of a certain type of headphone which is pretty collapsible while being sturdy, and which apparently rocks the hizzle. I, however, have long since lost the information on this. You will probably want to bug him. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:45 pm

I will! However, I saw nothing like that on the Best Buy website, and half of the point of this is to use up the gift card my aunt gave me. <p>-_-___-___-___-_-

"The universe is all in the mind that perceives it, and sensation is the first and only reality. If a tree falls in the forest with no creature to hear it, then there is no tree."

"I don't know who's a bigger fool: Him for going, you for following, or me for not leaving you both."

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:10 pm

Check and see if KOSS makes any; I've always depended on their products when it comes to filling my day with song :D

But then again, I use the bulky earmuff style radical headphones. Not sure about their tinier ones.

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:04 am

KOSS does, indeed, make headphones.
They're so comfey. <p><div style="text-align:center">
</div></p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:48 am

I have these, which Priam was talking about before. I loves them, I do! Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore. These, however, are almost identical. One of my friends has them, and apart from the color, I honestly can't tell you what the difference is. <p>
<hr width="50%"><center><span style="font-family:comic sans ms; font-size:x-large;">AVAST!</span></center></p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:03 am

There you go. Take down the model number and name, and see if Best Buy gots that.

Because I am too lazy to do it for you. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:49 pm

I didn't know Mike made earphones. :{

On a more serious note, I have earbuds, and they work quite well. The only thing they lack is a longer cord, because the people who set up the computer labs placed the computers on the floor and thus I have to bend over to listen to music on the earbuds. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare
Also, when you've worked a 36-hour shift as an intern you too just might pour yourself a catful of coffee and sit down to cuddle with your travel mug. -eirehound
</span>

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:34 pm

As a general rule, regardless of the quality of the things, earbuds sound like ass. If you're looking for an item that doesn't sound like ass, you'll need something bulkier. <p>
<hr width="50%"><center><span style="font-family:comic sans ms; font-size:x-large;">AVAST!</span></center></p>

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:56 pm

FD knows where it's at.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:02 pm

Refer to the first post. I need pocket-sized earphones. I think only earbuds really qualify. Basically, what I'm looking for is the best earbuds I can find/afford. <p>-_-___-___-___-_-

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:05 pm

You're probably gonna want ones with earholds.

That is the entirety of my knowledge on the matter. It seems to me that earbuds would not have much variety in their construction. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:21 pm

Earholds? <p>-_-___-___-___-_-

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:59 pm

If he means what I mean, little headphones + clips on the wire, that slip over your ears, securing them in place. They take some getting used to, but they sound much better than earbuds.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:10 pm

Zero is correct, as I have two turntables and a microphone.

Also, I suppose that what you'd be looking for are these, which I also have, I just couldn't find the link to before. The sound quality isn't quite as awesometacular, but they're not earbuds, which makes them innately better. <p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:11 pm

If you want it to be durable, high-quality in terms of sound, and very portable, go for a newer model of disconnected muffs with ear-clips. <p>[---------------------------]
"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung

"I eat the talking bees because I am George Washington Christ"
-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:19 pm

I have a set of earbuds I bought for 1.50$ canadian and they're the best goddamn headphones I've ever had.

Better than, like, the 100$ white noise-producing muff ones I've had.

COBY or something. <p><Chat> <Matto says, "What's up?"
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Angst."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Drama."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Betrayal."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Plushies."</p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:57 pm

True. Also, try the radio that comes with earbuds.

The only reason I would get more expensive ones is for the stylish collector case. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare
Also, when you've worked a 36-hour shift as an intern you too just might pour yourself a catful of coffee and sit down to cuddle with your travel mug. -eirehound
</span>

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

Return to Discussion Forum