Sugoicon 2005

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

pd Rydia

Sugoicon 2005

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:31 pm

big frikkin' link --» <big><big>sugoicon.org</big></big> «-- big frikkin' link

Same place (Northern KY Convention Center, Covington, KY), but this year, it's on the October 28th-30th.

I'mma try to go. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">"Pants are bad!!! We should wear pants only on our head you conformist bastard!!! Pants are the devils work!! Run freee!! And pantless!!!" -- Vulture</div></p>

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Re: Sugoicon 2005

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:00 pm

... dude. ... ... ... there is absolutely NOTHING I can see that could stop me from doing this. I might even be able to get my own hotel room! Sweet! <p>--------------------
Remember, even God has a sense of humour. Just look at the platypus.

-Kevin Smith</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:55 pm

As a possible alternative to the Marriot, there's a Travelodge in Florence that rents $40/night (for 2 doubles, I think). You can walk from there to Florence Mall, wherein you can catch the bus down to the Northern KY Con center ($1.25 regular fare each way). Only thing is that the busses stop running before the con does.

Local busing is Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky (TANK). They have a website somewhere, with like, routes and stuff. The stop across from the con center is the Covington garage or summat like that.

[edit] For 3 person rooms.

http://www.travelcoupons.com/kentucky/kypage5.htm

The Wildwood is down the road and has an indoor pool and palm trees. I've always wanted to go there. :[ <p>
<div style="text-align:center">"Pants are bad!!! We should wear pants only on our head you conformist bastard!!! Pants are the devils work!! Run freee!! And pantless!!!" -- Vulture</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=pdrydia>pd]&nbsp; Image at: 6/15/05 17:02

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:11 pm

I most likely can't go because I'm a loser. <p>[---------------------------]
"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung

"I eat the talking bees because I am George Washington Christ"
-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:33 pm

Most likely this will be the last one I can't go to!

Sugoicon 2006, here I come! <p>__-__-__-__-__-__

"I'm just a guy with a boomerang. I didn't ask for all this flying, and this magic..."
-Sokka, Avatar

"Screw normal, because if you're normal, the crowd will accept you, but if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader."
-Christopher Titus</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:42 pm

Hm, guess I'm not gonna make plans to go to that one...

This year, however, I'm definitely looking to go again. I'll make whatever arrangements are necessary. Without the house of Dia to crash at, getting a hotel room is likely to be a more rational option. If people are booking hotel rooms, let me know what hotel you're all going to be at so we can arrange to be at the same place--whether or not I will be available to drive people that weekend has yet to be seen. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:33 pm

Quote:
Hm, guess I'm not gonna make plans to go to that one...

That was just cold. Brrrrrrrrrrrr

And eh, nope, can't make it. <p><div style="text-align:center"> </div>
<div style="text-align:center"> Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center"> Something cute plots your death </div></p>

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:39 pm

I'll be there if I can find someone to mooch off of. This will most likely be poor Brian, as usual. He doesn't seem to mind a whole lot, though. <p>-------------------------
Wise man say, "forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

"It's like that old Scandinavian saying. You can lead a herring to water, but you have to walk real fast or you'll DIE."
--Rose:The Golden Girls</p>

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:19 pm

Oh my shit, that's right before my birthday!

Maybe I can use this to get the parental units to foot for some of the bill. However, it's too far away to tell if I can go or not. More updates will come in the future. <p>

"My naturally quivering state makes any display of fear deliciously arbitrary" - Manowar Leader, Scary-Go-Round</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:52 pm

Nebberings: perhaps we can travel together!

Mom tells me that there are, at times, flights on airtran from Atlanta to Dayton for as low as $39. :o <p>
<div style="text-align:center">"Pants are bad!!! We should wear pants only on our head you conformist bastard!!! Pants are the devils work!! Run freee!! And pantless!!!" -- Vulture</div></p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:11 pm

AirTran, which was known as ValuJet in a previous life, is the devil. <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung

-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:18 am

Dia: Perhaps! I'm game, providing I can go.

Nev: If it can get me there for fourty bucks, I can deal with it. <p>

"My naturally quivering state makes any display of fear deliciously arbitrary" - Manowar Leader, Scary-Go-Round</p>

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:05 am

Hmm... I'll have money by then... I'm looking to have Fridays off anyways next semester... I can't say just yet about going, but I can certainly give a better answer around the beginning of August.

So unless I have some mental/physical illness that requires me to stay in Potsdam, I'm planning to go, due to Priam finding a similar airfair to get from Albany to Dayton on like... 49 or something within 5 dollars.

I DEMAND AQUISITION OF ROOM MATES.

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:10 pm

If I can bleed enough and save enough money from it, I'll be able to go. However, don't count on it. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare
Also, when you've worked a 36-hour shift as an intern you too just might pour yourself a catful of coffee and sit down to cuddle with your travel mug. -eirehound
</span>

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:09 am

This may or may not be a stupid question, but what's stopping us from doing that thing we did last year where we rented an apartment at Dia's former complex? That would probably save a lot of people a lot of money although it would add to the responsibilties of the two Brians as drivers again, most likely.

Besides, dia's mom is cool. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:24 pm

If y'all can get up the moneys for it, go for it. I like the idea of being able to get around without cars, though. :[ <p>

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:30 pm

If Moses wandered the desert for forty years, you lot can fucking walk a couple miles to Sugoicon instead of being driven. <p>__-__-__-__-__-__

"I'm just a guy with a boomerang. I didn't ask for all this flying, and this magic..."
-Sokka, Avatar

"Screw normal, because if you're normal, the crowd will accept you, but if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader."
-Christopher Titus</p>

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:53 pm

*Points out there isn't any historical evidence that Moses and the freed slaves wandered in any desert for 40 years.*

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:14 pm

*Points out that there is little historical evidence about whole heaping piles of the Bible, yet plenty of people believe it anyway.* <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung

-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:23 pm

Remember, Moses was an old man. Even if he didn't walk for forty years in the desert, he would've bitched about doing it anyways. <p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:35 pm

You know, the topic tends to be kind of important in the discussion forum. Perhaps we should endeavor to stay on it.

Also, the reasoning behind the apartment thing is that the individual price for lodging gets cheaper the more people that can split the cost. If everyone just crashes at an apartment like last time, it woudln't be too pricey. Furthermore, those hotels at the convention are pretty damn pricey, even at the so-called reduced con rates. Plus less people can share a hotel room than can share one of those apartments, and I think those hotels charge a bit more per room per extra person. Of course it'd be awesome to have hotel rooms right at the con, but it would also be awesome to not have to spend all your money on loding and parking and actually be able to spend a little at the con. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:35 am

Hmn. Would gas money be a problem for the chauffers to be? Because if so, the group could help pitch in for gas money as well as apartment/hotel fees. <p>

Reako Somner
Always sleepy, never asleep

Unread postby Reako Somner » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:50 am

If I go, remember to buy ear plugs. Ones who've been around me at night know what I mean.

Or I could just not go.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:20 am

Actually, I did buy some earplugs not long after Sugoicon for expressly this purpose.

... but I'll be sharing a room with Alexis, so I highly doubt I'll also be sharing a room with Reako. Still, it's not like doors are extremely effective sound barriers... <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:01 am

See, the Travelodge is cheaper than the apartments, and Wildwood is about the same cost. I'm figuring at Wildwood, at least, one can get away with shoving many people into the same room--I mean, there's a pool, so obviously your friends would visit. And who's going to check to make sure they're gone for the evening, whenever the hell you go to bed? 'Sides, it's right before Halloween, so there's probably going to be other obnoxious kids all over the place to worry about.

There's also the whole "Hey, I don't live with my parents anymore" thing, and not bothering them by crashing at their apartment complex. Also, I hope to be able to get a room with minimal people in it, due to the whole thing about how people made a mess out of the apartment and all. <p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:54 pm

Well, yea, I know renting an apartment for three days isn't cheap, I was just saying it'd be cheaper for each individual split amongst everyone who'se going compared to splitting a room between two or four people.

Anyway, I understand the "don't want to have to rely on driving to get around" and "people are slobs" and "come on, I just moved out of that place" things. I'm just trying to balance "Hey, this would be cool" against "Hey, none of us have any money"

I still haven't actually checked out those hotels and the transportation route, though. Partially because I'm lazy and I totally suck, and partially because I hate looking for stuff. Mostly because I suck.

also, TANK.

Edit: I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like Routes 1 and 1x are the only options to get to the convention center from Wildwood. Mostly 1, because 1x is a route for workers and stops going to Cincinnati at 8AM, and stops returning from Cincinnati at 5:30PM, and even if the times didn't suck, it only runs on weekdays. I'm not sure exactly where each stop is, but it looks like the nearest one is just under a mile away. The Wildwood Inn is kind of in the middle of a triangle drawn from three stops on route 1, with the corner of Industrial Road and Empire Drive being the closest. Apparently "Park and Ride" lots only service express routes, and 1x is the only express option between Florence and Covington. Unless people feel like crossing US-42 on foot and then walking about a mile, Wildwood Inn still leaves people tethered to chauffeurs to get to and from the con.

Edit II: Actually, the Travelodge isn't far from the Wildwood Inn, so it has similiar problems. It's a bit closer to Florence Mall, but not "not being tethered to chauffeurs" close. At least, not for Pervy, what with his bum leg and all.

Edit III: Wildwood Inn doesn't seem to charge extra per person per room, but the Travelodge does. Looks like $89 a night for a double non-poolside room. Rooms at the Travelodge run from $53.96 to $57.95 a night depending on how many people are in the room. At least, that's what I found. Apparently there's a Travelodge in Newport, though, with the same rates, that's a lot closer to the con and a lot easier to catch a bus from, too. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: BrainWalker&nbsp; Image at: 6/20/05 15:46

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:45 pm

The way I see it, Travelodge is cheaper per night, the Wildwood is the same, and there's no stopping people from splitting the hotel room between many people--we did this the first time for Otakon, as folks may recall. You just don't get caught. Columns offers the comfort of an apartment, and lets folks not worry about how many are in there, and I understand that, but if you're going to do that, I'm not going to arrange it for you. I'm not staying there, so it really doesn't make sense for me to. You can negociate directly with my family, who'll have to reserve it in your name. You'll need to reserve it ahead of time, too, as this is the weekend before Halloween...others are vying for the same apartment.

I don't want to spend this Sugoicon worrying about who's going to drop out attending at the last moment and whether or not people are actually going to reimburse me their cost of the room, and if it's polite to remind them. Walking isn't an issue for me, and I really would rather have a reasonable number of people sharing a room with me anyway. At least that way, if people are giving into slobbish tendencies, I don't have to feel bad about harrassing as many people. D= <p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:33 pm

Crap! I figured if I kept editing my post someone would reply and we'd get out of sync :P

Anyway, for the record, I wasn't expecting you to set up anything at Columns, just trying to weigh options. I'm a big boy, now : P. Besides, people tend to rely on you too much as it is for this sort of thing. I figured I'd be talking to your mom 'cause she likes to help out, and maybe your dad in case I can't get TANK figured out.

As far as worrying about who's going where and doing what or dropping out or whatever, I don't really care either, it's just that if the apartment thing is an option, then I'll be staying there if enough people are going for it to be cost-effective. If that's not the case, I'll be staying somewhere else. That's all.

Although that Travelodge in Newport is looking pretty good. And less complicated. And more "just hop on the tri-city shuttle to the convention center". Or just walk. It's about as far from the Newport Travelodge to the Convention Center as it is from the Florence Travelodge to the Florence mall bus-stop. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=brainwalker>BrainWalker</A]&nbsp; Image at: 6/20/05 17:17

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:05 pm

Grooviness. Covington isn't the fuzziest of neighborhoods, so I wouldn't recommend everyone walking around at 2 am in the morning, but if a handful of folks wanted to stay for a late something or other, such as Anime Hell, then between the number of drivers, that ought to be able to get worked out. :0 <p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:17 pm

This is roughly the section of route 12 that would be useful to anyone staying at the Newport Travelodge. The outbound route goes from 4th and Monmouth in Newport, which is about three blocks from the hotel, to the Covington Transit Center, which is right around the corner from the Northern Kentucky Convention Center. The inbound route goes from the Transit Center to 5th and Monmouth in Newport, due to one-way streets, which is obviously just a little farther from the hotel than 4th and Monmouth. Turns out the Southbank Shuttle doesn't actually go directly from Newport to Covington, or vice versa. Only route 12 does that. Of course it would get you there, eventually, but it'll take you through Cincinnati first, which is kind of a waste of time. Local transit kind of shuts down around midnight, but it shouldn't be impossible to arrange chauffeuring assuming at least two people have cell phones and want to stay up past then, assuming one of them is also a driver.

Edit: Update! I can't believe I forgot about it, but there is also a Holiday Inn about three blocks from the convention center. It's a little more expensive than the Travelodge, but cheaper than the Wildwood Inn, and there's a shuttle stop right next to it. Can't beat that :P

... what's the deal with that travel cupons place, anyway? Coupons are useful.

There's also apparently the "Amos Shinkle Bed and Breakfast," which has 3 crazy suites and 4 less crazy not-suites. $95 is a bit over-budget, but it was kinda neat to find out that there's a B&B across the street from the Covington city center, within walking distance of the convention. Their website rather terrible, though, so I didn't really bother delving deep enough or *gasp!* actually contacting them for more information. Besides, I'm done searching for info today :P <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: BrainWalker&nbsp; Image at: 6/20/05 18:52

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:59 pm

I'm down with this. Along with helping pay for any lodgings that's decided on, as I personally have no preference. But my parents are easing up quite a bit, so! I should be good to go. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">What's wrong with this ring?!</div></p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:10 pm

I intend to go, but quite frankly I have no idea what my situation will be. Ideally, I'll finally have a damned job, and can pay my share with whatever goes down.

Ideally, I want a bed. My floor-sleeping days are kinda over since my hospital trip. >_>;

I am completely unhelpful. <p>---------------------------

ReakoSomner: regardless, I was poor, and in need of diamonds</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=unclepervy@rpgww60462>Uncle]&nbsp; Image at: 6/20/05 19:11

Vampire Jester Jinx

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:37 pm

This is entirely awesome! GO BRIAN GO! You are totally an adult who does things! Also I can help pay for stuff and things and things. By which I mean gas if necessary. <p><div style="text-align:center">!Image</div></p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:36 pm

That's it, you guys figure out all the details while I'm too busy working to do anything except money to pay my share once plans have been decided! *cheer* <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:54 pm

So, I thought about it, and I decided that I like that Holiday Inn the best. I'm going to check on it and may be that Travelodge in Newport sometime later this week to make sure the online rates are accurate.

You guys can do whatever tickles your fancy :P <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:10 pm

That Holiday Inn sounds groovy. What's the address and rates and stuff?

Also: http://www.travelcoupons.com/
KY index: http://www.travelcoupons.com/kentucky/kyindex.htm
Covington: http://www.travelcoupons.com/kentucky/kypage3.htm

Fucking dialup! I can't see the whole image. :[ <p>

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:19 pm

Oooo... Free Continental Breakfast with the last coupon of Holiday Inn... That in itself means I must go! But yeah, thinking about this, I'm pretty sure I'll have enough monies to go. Not much else to spend, but monies enough to get there and back!

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:26 pm

Oh, right, I probably should have mentioned that!

Cincinnati Riverfront Holiday Inn:
600 W Third Street
Covington, KY 41011
11-859-2914300 (what the Hell is up with this phone number?)

Newport Riverfront Travelodge:
222 York St.
Newport, Kentucky 41071
859-291-4434

I was going to link to the websites I got this info from, but apparently their searchamajigs despise linkage. Shouldn't be too hard to google, though. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: BrainWalker&nbsp; Image at: 6/21/05 14:27

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:24 pm

There will be an attempt from this neko to attended. <p> Kokoro wa (Hashiru!) ano sora no shita...There's no problem that cannot be solved by the scientific application of high explosives.-Bob the Sane,Lone System Admin of the Apocalypse</p>

Will Rennar

Unread postby Will Rennar » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:18 pm

Hmm. This is kind of a tough issue here.

On one hand, I really enjoy hangin' out with you guys, especially at Sugoicon 2K4, and wanna meet other members of the group, particularly Amanda (especially since I seem to be the only one here who hasn't done so yet. GROWLIES! >: )

On the other, those bus rides DROVE ME BATSHIT NUTTY! >_<

...I suppose I could just look into how much a plane ticket costs compared to bus fare.....except that recent plane flights have also driven me b-----well, you know. x_x

Decisions, de-freaking-cisions.... <p>This has been your daily interrupted moment of Zen.</p>

Next

Return to Discussion Forum