Jack Thompson

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Jack Thompson

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:20 am

Like I have to link anything.

You know the issues. Discuss this man. <p>--------------------
Remember, even God has a sense of humour. Just look at the platypus.

-Kevin Smith</p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Re: Jack Thompson

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:41 am

Man: Lawls video gayms R teh bad.
Gamers: ZOMG NO!
Rinse and repeat, topic eventually closes.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:41 pm

I am so fucking tired of this bullshit. I love how the first paragraph ends with "...if you know of someone harmed as a result of violent entertainment, especially video games." and yet, any form of entertainment but video games doesn't appear again anywhere on the page except in one bullet point.

Violent games are not meant to be played by children, and are marked as such by the people who make them. The problem isn't with the games themselves, necessarily, so much as it is with the way they are marketed. Unfortunately, it seems like most of the time it is the gamemakers who are being targeted and not the advertisers who are the ones who encourage kids beneath the age range suggested by the ESRB to find ways to buy violent games.

I love the studies that accompany this sort of thing. Do we really need a team of scientists to tell us that violence begets violence? Of course steady exposure to violence leads to desensitization. That should be common fucking sense. But just because video games are interactive doesn't mean that impressionable youngsters can't potentially be "taught how to kill" by movies, or TV shows, or books, or the internet, or any other sort of media. It's difficult to find formal education on the subject of killing people, so of course there are "copycat murders," or whatever. I seriously doubt that violent entertainment is nearly as responsible for directly causing violent behavior as some people seem to think. Certainly it is a contributor, but there has to be a certain mentality already present for someone to watch a man die at the hands of another man and say "Hey, that's pretty spiffy. Maybe I should get in on some of that." People who parade their causes around only show you the evidence relevant to their cause. I'd like to see what other factors were present in these cases that contributed to the tragedy.

Having said all that, there is a responsibility on the part of the creators to treat their subject with the respect and gravity it requires. Sometimes I get the feeling that Hollywood tries too hard to glorify violence rather than presenting it in a more socially realistic sense. Then again, isn't it a point of entertainment to entertain? To make their production seem more interesting and "larger than life?" I can't deny that there's a problem with violence in the media, I just really don't trust politicians and activists to adequately deal with the situation. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:42 pm

"This site's purpose is to give you the means to contact Miami attorney Jack Thompson if you know of someone harmed as a result of violent entertainment, including violent video games"
Violent entertainment like sports, amirite? <p>
<div style="text-align:center">dictionary.com | encyclopædia dramatica</div></p>Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 8/9/05 13:36

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:11 pm

Hey, that's right. I should call him and tell him about my friend Amelia, whose car was set on fire at Ohio State because there was a football game going on and she had a Purdue license plate.

Football causes fires! <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:13 pm

One of my friends was playing Pong with me, and we decided to play Pong for real. So we wore white shirts and I threw a golf ball at him. However, it hit him in the head and now he is in a coma. I blame video games completely for his predicament. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare
Also, when you've worked a 36-hour shift as an intern you too just might pour yourself a catful of coffee and sit down to cuddle with your travel mug. -eirehound
</span>

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:18 pm

I played GTA San Andreas, and saw the Hot Coffee scene, despite my repeated warnings from the government. I saw actual sex! So I decided to go and do it for myself, since GTA San Andreas is so cool. What a bad decision! Now I'm getting laid every night! Curse you, Rockstar Games! <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:35 pm

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:59 pm

I was playing Bomberman 64 and fighting a boss and my friend kept telling me what to do and trying to give me help even though he's never played the game before so I atomic-elbow-dropped him into a wall and his head started bleeding and the last I heard of him he sells pot and steals cars. Also, his house burned down a few years ago. True story.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:33 pm

"Has anyone ever once been posessed by the sprit of the Super Mario brothers?

*covers the mike, speaks in a deep, grating voice* 'KILL!'

*cowers* Satan... is that you?

*super mock-happy dance* No, it's a-me, Mario!

Oh, yea, you know, sometimes I just get the urge to jump on some guy's head and watch a coin pop out his ass! *rolls eyes*"

I wish I could remember that guy's name. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:37 pm

Man, I know the name.. but it's at the tip of my tongue...

Al Roker? <p><div style="text-align:center">
</div></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:31 pm

Isn't that that one weatherman guy or something on the Today show?

Nah, the guy I'm thinking of just looks kind of like him. A little. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:03 pm

Playing video games made me everything that is bad and is in no way responsible for my acute reading talent, critical thinking ability, or swift-object scanning skill.

In fact, the reason I took up the martial arts is because of Kung Fu, the video game! I wanted to kick several hundred people who obsessively wanted to hug me and suck away at my life while walking in a straight line, then fighting a long series of extremely cliché martial-arts movie villains, including the hunchback who throws magic and the big black guy without a shirt!

And I also wanted to defeateth a Magidrakee and prove my skill and cunning, and thus haveth risen to the next level! I learn Hurtmore soon! <p>[---------------------------]
"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung

"I eat the talking bees because I am George Washington Christ"
-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:23 pm

I wanted to decrease Nev's hits by 2. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:33 am

Sadly, Nev will never achieve his dream of defeating the shirtless black guy. Not without becoming Amish or a Catgirl. <p>---------------------------

ReakoSomner: regardless, I was poor, and in need of diamonds</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:21 pm

You know, an ass-kicking Kung-Fu Amish guy would be pretty cool. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Unread postby Animala » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:39 pm

Ass-kicking kung fu amish catgirl? <p>
to make the pain go away
i cut the universe
with ribbons
because that makes perfect sense.</p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:45 pm

Mutant ass-kicking kung fu amish catgirl.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:48 pm

... um, we're off topic, folks.

But eh, what else is new? <p>--------------------

-Kevin Smith</p>

RedEye Dragon89

Unread postby RedEye Dragon89 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:09 pm

Mutant transformer ass-kicking kung fu amish catgirl.

*kills the joke!* <p>

<div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:41 pm

aelon.net/2005/07/jack-th...straw-man/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jac...(attorney) <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:09 pm

Wow. Wikipedia has a kind of opinion on him. Do they do that often, or is it rare? <p>--------------------

-Kevin Smith</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:23 am

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/in ... k_Thompson

I prefer encyclopedia dramatica's entry. Even if it is short. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">dictionary.com | encyclopædia dramatica</div></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:32 am

Holy Damn. I'm gonna have to peruse that place later. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:52 am

... Is it wrong that this makes me want to send him a letter asking how he and Janet Reno are getting along these days?

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:55 am

Dude, I want to see what becomes of Seanbaby challenging him to a fight. If only because I can see Seanbaby being a real fuckhat with that. <p>---------------------------

ReakoSomner: regardless, I was poor, and in need of diamonds</p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:19 am

Wikipedia is contribued by a great mass of humans, is it not? Hell, I had to correct some grammatical and spelling errors on there myself. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Return to Discussion Forum