Hardware Question....

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

FlamingDeth

Hardware Question....

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:25 pm

...that I doubt anyone will be able to answer, because it's about Macs.

So. I'm thinking seriously about getting a new powerbook. Actually, it's almost a given that I'll be getting a new Powerbook. The real question is, which one?!?!?!111!!?

What it comes down to is that the cheaper, yet for the most part preferable, option comes with a GeForce FX 5200, 64mb of VRAM. The more expensive, and decidely better in every way, option comes with a Radeon 9700 Mobile, also with 64mb of VRAM.

So...any thoughts? I know that the GPU in the 9700 is better than the one in the 5200, but what sort of graphics bump would I actually be seeing? I know that a lot of graphics-intensive programs aren't optimized for the Mac at all, and when they are it's most often for NVida cards, so would I even see a difference at all? <p>
<hr width="50%"><center><span style="font-family:comic sans ms; font-size:x-large;">AVAST!</span></center></p>

Elitegamer7539

Re: Hardware Question....

Unread postby Elitegamer7539 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:12 pm

I don't claim to be an expert by any means, but I think a GeForce 5200 would be able to take most of what you throw at it. On the more intensive games, you might have to turn the graphic quality down a bit, but most of the time that doesn't mean you're missing a whole lot. <p>
____<span style="color:fuchsia;font-family:helvetica;font-size:x-large;">t(</span><span style="color:black;font-family:helvetica;font-size:x-large;">'.'</span><span style="color:fuchsia;font-family:helvetica;font-size:x-large;">t)</span>____
Kirby is not amused.</p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:45 pm

As far as *games* go, pretty much all I care about is draw distance. I know that either would be able to handle the out-of-date games that I play.

No, no. Part of the problem comes in that games aren't *the only* graphics intensive programs out there, and if I'm using Maya or Shake or something, I don't want it to run like crap. And then there's that whole "Core Graphics" thing that OS10.4 does that sounds pretty awesome. <p>
<hr width="50%"><center><span style="font-family:comic sans ms; font-size:x-large;">AVAST!</span></center></p>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:09 am

See, I actually use a GeForce FX 5200, and it's not let me down scince I bought it. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">What's wrong with this ring?!</div></p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:03 pm

My laptop uses a GeForce FX Go5200 and I haven't had many problems with it. I have no idea why my laptop won't run FFXI despite numerous driver adjustments and various other settings changes, but that's the only problem I've had with my graphics card.

My desktop, on the other hand, is something I've had bad experiences with regarding NVidia cards, and I don't think I'm going to be buying any more. The problem is actually more likely to be related to my motherboard, but I'm getting paranoid about video card problems since I've had a few weird and inconvenient issues crop up. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:58 pm

Well, given some trends that I've been seeing lately, it looks like I'll be waiting a bit. All signs point to updates for both the iBook and PowerBook lines, and if it's anything like I expect it to be, then I'll probably end up going for a relatively low end iBook, which will likely have a 5200 in it.

But yes. I highly encourage use of ATI whenever possible when building desktops. <p>

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:27 pm

My ATI Radeon 9250 has taught me that ATI cards are horrible, horrible, terrible things that despise your soul. <p><Chat> <Matto says, "What's up?"
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Angst."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Drama."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Betrayal."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Plushies."</p>

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:35 pm

Check the post dates, Banj. <p>

"Never let your morals get in the way of doing what is right" - Salvor Hardin
</p>

Animala