Alco-beverage

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Alco-beverage

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:41 am

So, anyone here who is versed at all in the ways of alcohol! I beseech your wisdom!

I have tried only a small number of drinks, myself. I've had a Mai Tai, a Hawaiian Punch, a Firewater shot, a couple different rums (mostly vanilla and coconut), and this new HPNOTIQ stuff (read "H.P.-not-I.Q." because it can't be pronounced "Hypnotic" unless there's a "Y" in it, dammit). Rum can have a good sort of flavor to it (Malibu rum in particular is nice as I've seen rums go--Cruzan not so much), and that HPNOTIQ (cognac blend with tropical juice stuff) is rather tasty for at least the first few gulps.

Problem is! I'd like to try and expand my reach as far as these things go, but I have little to no knowledge to go upon. I hear vodka tastes like gasoline and gin tastes like turpentine and beer tastes like that bite that all alcohol has except refined and without any other flavor. None of these descriptions are particularly appealing. THUS. Any information and/or opinions on alcoholic beverages are welcome!

I mostly expect Jak and Brian to have something to say on this issue, but anyone else is perfectly welcome to surprise me. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=priamnevhausten>PriamNevhausten</A]&nbsp; Image at: 6/6/05 0:34

NebulaQueen

Re: Alco-beverage

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:40 am

Schnapps can be tasty, depending on what kind you get. Also, cider. <p>

"My naturally quivering state makes any display of fear deliciously arbitrary" - Manowar Leader, Scary-Go-Round</p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:57 am

I feel like a dumbass for not thinking of cider. Where does one go to procure the alcoholic kind? <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:51 am

Just about any farm in the area with an orchard.

Remind me in the fall, and I'll try to snag you a jug of it from the family's orchard. <p>---------------------------

Your are not supposed to be reading this!</p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:26 am

Cider, by and large, is good stuff. There's a far better chance that a random cider will be worth drinking than a random beer will. If you ever, by some fluke of chance, find a brand called "Stowford Press" over there then drink as much as you can. Avoid Strongbow like the plague. It's shit.

Also, Malibu != Rum. Well, not in the strictest sense. It's coconut rum, and last time I checked standard rum was made from sugar cane. If you can find some clear, pure sugar cane rum give that a try. Not quite as sweet as Malibu, but it packs more of a punch and goes down surprisingly easily for a 40% drink.

Vodka I'm going to take as shit until proven otherwise. The only redeemable things I've seen it used for are the cocktails "White Russian" and "Black Russian." Thanks to Doc for alerting me to the former, and to Gus for actually mixing one up. The latter replaces the milk with cola (coca cola, not "general pop drink") for a completely different taste, but the former is far better.

Bailey's Cream is a drink that'll go down real easy, and packs about as much punch as Malibu without being sickly sweet. However, Amarula trumps that easily, but since that's made in South Africa you'll have to go hunting for it.

Also, although I've only barely begun to experiment with the like, try ales. If you're not fond of beer that might not go down too well, but you can get some ales which taste pretty good without having the whole "acquired taste" deal going on for you.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:40 pm

I recommend a nice Sauvignon Blanc... Or on the other end of the spectrum, Bacardi 151 or Jagermeister. Also quite good. <p>-------------------------
Wise man say, "forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

"It's like that old Scandinavian saying. You can lead a herring to water, but you have to walk real fast or you'll DIE."
--Rose:The Golden Girls</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:35 pm

Sangría.

The real stuff. As in, someone made it, in their kitchen.

I am lonely for the sangría. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">"Pants are bad!!! We should wear pants only on our head you conformist bastard!!! Pants are the devils work!! Run freee!! And pantless!!!" -- Vulture</div></p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:42 pm

Steal Dan, and put him to work 24/7.

Celeste of Elvenhame

Unread postby Celeste of Elvenhame » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:56 pm

Vodka is good with cranberry juice, this is called a cape cod or cape codder, or similar. Rum with mountian dew, I have not tried with coke.

also *takes notes for future use* <p>-----Celeste of Elvenhame--------

</p>

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:28 pm

Water. <p>__-__-__-__-__-__

"I'm just a guy with a boomerang. I didn't ask for all this flying, and this magic..."
-Sokka, Avatar

"Screw normal, because if you're normal, the crowd will accept you, but if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader."
-Christopher Titus</p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:45 pm

/golfclap

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:47 am

Rum IS good with Mountain Dew, I've found, at about a 2/3 dew 1/3 rum mixture ratio. I am currently experiencing slight inebration due to an amount of Woodchuck cider, but not enough to actually impair my typing, which makes me sad. 2.5 proof =(

w

That W was brought to you by Pervy. Paid in part by Zem.

edit: What the fuck? My balance is at about 70%, which is quite a level of impairment, and I haven't done any typoing at all. What the fuck! This isn't entertaining in the least! <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=priamnevhausten>PriamNevhausten</A]&nbsp; Image at: 6/7/05 5:53

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:55 am

Jak is correct about our friends the Russians, though I actually enjoy straight vodka. If you're going to drink it straight, get some decent shit if you want it to actually taste alright--I'd recommend something with citrus or vanilla flavoring, and both Smirnoff and Absolut make vodka in those flavors. Both types of Russians contain a coffee-flavored liquor called Kaluha, which is actually pretty damned good by itself, but is more often used in drink mixes (like Irish cream). Also, on brands of rum, I dunno if you've tried Captain Morgan spiced rum or not, but if you haven't, I highly recommend it. It also makes an excellent rum and coke, if that's your thing. My experiences with dry gin have mostly been: "Wow, this tastes...I actually have no idea how to describe this." I have a sneaking feeling you won't like it.

Beer is an acquired taste, and I hate most brands of American stuff. Oddly enough, the best beer I've had is Japanese (Asahi, though Kirin or Sapporo are close). Heineken is also worth a shot if you even want to think about beer, and Guinness is good, if a bit heavy. Drinking lite beer is a sin. Also, on the subject of "alco-pops," Smirnoff makes these things that they package with the label "Smirnoff Twisted" that come in a variety of fruity flavors. They're technically beer/malt beverages/whatever, but most of them taste more like Sprite remix with a little alcohol (about 3-5% by volume). They're pretty good if you don't think someone's going to think you're lacking male genetalia for drinking them.

You and I really need to get together sometime we're not both working. :D <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:31 am

I just had my first alcoholic drink. It was a piña colada, and it wasn't bad. The sweetness of the base offset the alcoholic taste. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare
Also, when you've worked a 36-hour shift as an intern you too just might pour yourself a catful of coffee and sit down to cuddle with your travel mug. -eirehound
</span>

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:02 pm

Hell, even if they do think I lack male genitalia for drinking such a thing, doesn't matter--I don't use it anyway.

Furthermore! Wednesday night sounds ideal for this purpose. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:05 pm

Woodchuck. *sighs* The first alcoholic drink I ever enjoyed...

And also, you'll have to wait until next Wednesday to claim Brian. I get him this week. <p>-------------------------

"It's like that old Scandinavian saying. You can lead a herring to water, but you have to walk real fast or you'll DIE."

JasonAB17

Unread postby JasonAB17 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:58 pm

This is why I need to live in Ohio. My parents are big socal drinkers, and otherwise abstinent. When they do drink, it's mostly the hard stuff straight, martinis, and requests by guests.

hey're not so hot on Bloody Mary's, sice a bottle of the mix broke one time and now there's a giant, irremovable stain in the carpet from it. I found out later you shouldn't use a mix to make one anyways, unless you're incredibly lazy.

Also: I've been told before, by people here in Virginia, that I have to try Sangría. And it actually wasn't the people who praised sake without having ever tasted it before this time, so I'm slightly more inclined to try it. :{ Wah. I wonder when I went from the stubborn anti-alchol stance to pining? <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:42 pm

If you ever have the chance, find some Tanqueray Gin and Vodka and mix them together in equal ammounts. I kid you not, it has not real taste. All you feel is the alcohol burn your throat. My brother dubbed it a Ginka-vonic.

Also, all vodka isn't bad, like Absolut. Screwdrivers are a very good drink that doesn't taste bad at all. If it's too strong, just add more juice.

We made quite alot of drinks last semester... Oh! A really good one... If you like chocolate mint good ness, it's really freaking sweet... but mixing a Starbucks powershot Mocha, and mix it with Peppermint shnaps.... Yeah... That's really strong, but so far, no matter how I've made it, I've never tasted the alcohol. Coffee over powers it.

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:45 pm

Once again, drinking by yourself and then coming online = sadder than sad. It's also a good path to becoming an alcoholic.

Whiskey is decent, too. If it's too strong, mix it with some water, but otherwise drink it straight.

Liquors:

I would recommend sake, but unless you know a place that imports a lot of it, stay away from the cheap shit at most liquor stores in North America. It's fine for cooking, but not so much for drinking. If you find the good stuff, you can drink it at room temperature. If you have not so good stuff (ie: the aforementioned), then heat it up some before drinking. Same with shochu (Japanese spirits made from sweet potatos), which goes well either on the rocks, or with equal parts hot water.

Tequila is like drinking fire. So you get some lemon, and some salt. The proper way to drink tequila is as follows: lick the back of your hand (the meaty part between your thumb and index finger), and sprinkle salt on it so it sticks (this is to insure that you get the proper amount of salt), and cut a lemon into wedges. Down the shot, lick the salt off your hand, and suck on the lemon wedge. Repeat with fresh ingerdients.

Beers:

Stay away from the American crap.

Asahi Super Dry is nice, if you can find it. Most liquor stores have it in the back somewhere. Molson's is fine if you need a quick beer, but it's not the greatest. I don't know if they import it to the States, but if you can find a brand called Sleeman's, then the honey one is pretty good, as is the cream ale. Someone mentioned Guiness, which is good, but too heavy to drink a lot of. I haven't had Heineken, but I've heard good things. Beck's tastes like shit, stay away from it.

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:59 pm

Doc's endorsement of Asahi Super Dry means that he is a very good man indeed.

The cheap shit sake, on that note, is definitely drinkable when heated, but I don't know if that's the greatest option in the States.

If Priam needs someone to save him from the horrors of pointlessly drinking alone, he and I should get together some week I'm actually going to be home, which was not the case the previous week. =P <p>

</p>

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:08 am

I suggest planning this when I'm opting to go visit the bastard somewhere in early August, for I would like to try more sake beverages. Plus, if Priam is drinking, I demand shots to be had by all we're with.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:41 am

Priam never drinks alone. That would be dumb, and would ruin the whole damned point, which is making an ass of yourself in such a way that you can't feasibly deny it later.

It is a shame that we cannot contrive a visitation of both Brian and Ganon concurrently; alas, we shall have to substitute sometime. I maintain that Brian and I need to get drunk sometime, small-party style.

What the fuck am I still awake for? <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:15 am

In Japan, beer comes in the standard 355mL cans, as well as 500mL cans, 750mL (which I just had), 1L, and 2L cans. You goddamn yanks can do the conversions yourself.

edit: It also has smaller sizes, but I didn't mention them, because I would never drink less than 1 standard can in one sitting. Well I did once, but that was because I didn't have a lot of change on me at the time.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=ekds5k>EKDS5k</A]&nbsp; Image at: 6/17/05 10:17

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:38 am

Two litre cans. You're to get an image of this, Doc.

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:07 pm

Those things are amazingly enormous. I have laid my own eyes upon them! <p>

</p>

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:27 pm

But do they come in six-packs? <p>-------------------------

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:27 am

....12 liters, in one easily carried container?? SIGN ME UP! :D

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:08 pm

Easily-carried?! You'd need a freaking handcart!

Also, I still refuse to drink anything alcoholic besides NyQuil (that's when I'm actually sick, you bastards). <p>__-__-__-__-__-__

"I'm just a guy with a boomerang. I didn't ask for all this flying, and this magic..."
-Sokka, Avatar

"Screw normal, because if you're normal, the crowd will accept you, but if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader."
-Christopher Titus</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=spleeninfinity13>SpleenInfinity13</A]&nbsp; Image at: 6/19/05 13:10

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:54 pm

That's because you're what, 12?

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:54 pm

Probably 12 and a half by now.

Edit: But it's not like NyQuil would even get you drunk. It'd put you to sleep before then.

So remember kids, NyQuil is great for colds, bad for Alcoholics to get their fix.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=ganonfro@rpgww60462>Ganonfro</A] at: 6/19/05 20:57

Reako Somner
Always sleepy, never asleep

Unread postby Reako Somner » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:59 am

I've never had anything beyond some overly expensive wine at a wedding or two. I actually thought it wasn't too bad, but alchoholic drinks really aren't my thing. Never been drunk, don't know what that's supposed to be like, and I'd probably be incredibly weird, but eh.

I might try some stuff someday, to be honest. History of Alchoholics in my family line is mostly what keeps me away. (That, and the awful taste *in my experiance* could be to blame too.)

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:40 am

I trslly nrrf yo pody yhis yhiread. p068.ezboard.com/frpgww60...4514.topic <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:50 am

That's a fairly impressive state of inebriation. I don't plan to ever get drunk, even once, in my entire life, but I still enjoy a bit of the booze every now and then. Just in sparing quantities. Generally I find that I'm a bit of a puss when it comes to alcohol... I've never tasted a single beer that didn't taste so bad I doubt I'd have noticed a difference on the way up if it came to it, and I have no palette for the "no frills" harder stuff like gin and vodka. Whiskey is almost barely tolerable, though, and wine has been mediocre at best. My taste in alcohol definitely runs sweet. I'm in love with Rum, particularly spiced rum, and also creamy liqueurs like Bailey's and Amarula. I actually happen to have a bottle of Amarula, I just never really have the opportunity to break it out.

It's pretty rare that I actually drink any kind of alcohol straight, though. I'm a huge fan of girly fruity mixed drinks. Toss some pineapple, strawberry, banana, raspberry, or watermelon in with pretty much anything else and I'd be willing to at least give it a shot. Current favorites are piña colada and strawberry daiquiri. MANLY!! : P

Interestingly enough, there seems to be some bizarre coffee-esque law about alcohol as a whole treated as ingredients in other things. Tequila is the most vile substance I have ever imbibed, rating below curdled milk and my own blood, despite the fact that I have chugged it. Thank God I didn't stay enrolled at Findlay. But, margaritas are pretty damn good. It doesn't make sense. Even the completely worthless liquid known as beer can be quite tasty in the form of beer-battered shrimp or beer-cheese dip for pretzels. Long-Island Iced Tea manages to be pretty good somehow, despite only containing comparatively small quantities of anything I would actually drink by itself. *shrug*

LINKAGE! Webtender can be a fun place to spend some time, but be sure you've got your pop-up blocker on. Not that there's much reason to turn one off...

I need to try a Woolly Mitten sometime. And Sexual Chocolate is a brilliant name for... pretty much anything, not just a drink.

Also, Southern Comfort is good stuff. And I have never had Sangria, but apparently it is well liked, so perhaps I shall have to rectify this at some point. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: BrainWalker&nbsp; Image at: 6/20/05 10:55

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:28 pm

I tend to stay away from alcohol, but I recently had some burnt meat with Jim Beam steak sauce on it, and that wasn't half bad. <p>
<hr width="50%"><center><span style="font-family:comic sans ms; font-size:x-large;">AVAST!</span></center></p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:35 pm

Jim Beam itself, on the other hand, is the flavor of raw ass. <p>

</p>

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:16 pm

But that's the stuff cowboys drink! Don't you want to be a cowboy??

Jim Beam, cousin of Jack Daniels.

...Wow... I posted somewhere here of my adventure with a pint bottle of Jack Daniels and drinking it within an hour. (For those of you who didn't see me at Otakon, I'm a fairly short, thin boy. Hobbit like has been mentioned many times.) Needless to say, I was stunned by how much I drank, and woke up drunk the next day, and had a hangover... Goes to show that I wasn't in good shape.... Couldn't remember 3/4ths of that night! :D

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:13 am

I can honestly say that I've never heard of Jim Bean in my entire life before this thread. <p>

"My naturally quivering state makes any display of fear deliciously arbitrary" - Manowar Leader, Scary-Go-Round</p>

Vampire Jester Jinx

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:41 am

The Mike's Hard line can be fun! Amaretta is a nice bit, good for mixing!

New groovy drink recipe Mom picked up in belize:

The Dirty Banana

1 shot vodka
1 shot baileys
1 shot cream de cocoa
cup of ice
banana
chocolate syrup!

Blend banana, ice, and shots up all awesomely.
Take a glass and drizzle the insides with chocolate syrup, Add concoction! Top with whip cream and more chocolate if you desire! A banana-y chocolately drink of goodness!

If you like Butterscotch! Try a Buttery Nipple shot.

One part bailey's, one part Butterscotch liquer. Delicious!

Or a blowjob, one part bailey's one part amaretto, top with whipcream!

Dia is a brilliant woman for bringing up Sangria. It's delicious like hell.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:43 pm

Wow.

Or, if you prefer, damn. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Return to Discussion Forum