Since I haven't ranted in ages....

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Divinegon2130

Since I haven't ranted in ages....

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:26 pm

Okay.

Within the past week, I got the bright idea that I might want to transfer my VHS tapes to my computer so that I can turn them into DVDs. Point being that it would save a lot of future wear and tear on the VHSes. So my dad and I got the bright idea to install his old RADEON All-in-Wonder video card.

After borrowing a VCR from my brother (who's only around another month for this, although I can borrow my parents' VCR when that happens) and hooking it up, things took a big turn for the worse.

First problem: Initially I tried to use Pinnacle Studio 8 (which came free with the video card) to capture the video. After following all the steps, and trying various settings, the best I got was a line at the top that was, indeed, a small segment of the video. However, Pinnacle refused to record an entire clip - just what that small segment was doing.

Second Problem: Soon, I ditched Pinnacle altogether for VirtualDub. The first thing I tried was the stable version of the program. Despite trying everything there, I got the exact same problem as I did with Pinnacle.

Third Problem: I then downloaded the experimental version of VirtualDub. Several settings adjustments have allowed me to get a full video clip recorded rather than just that small segment. However, I have been unsuccessful in correcting a new problem - a massive audio/video desync where the video seems to be going twice as fast as the audio. Also, I cannot seem to get any of the video codecs (specifically Huffyuv and Alparysoft, which are lossless codecs) to work properly.

Why have I bothered with Pinnacle and VirtualDub, you might ask? I want to be able to record a video, with decent quality, and not have it take up more than, say, 8 gigabytes. The problem is that recording it without a codec basically means it would take almost half a gigabyte for a minute of decent video.

If any of you have had a similar experience with this, or can help me out here, it'd be appreciated. <p>

<span style="font-size:medium;"> Quotes of the Moment: </span> <span style="font-size:xx-small;"><br /><br />=="....and I must have missed a step or two - or five." - Fuzzfas, Trynnie Alchemist (from Wizardry 8)<br />=="Great work, Prof! Now find me something to punch." Reese, from the comic 'Dinosaurs for Hire'<br />
View my online journal here.<br />Also, if you have a question about my characters, look here.<br /> And I've been having image trouble, so those are out for a while. </span></p>

Banjooie

Re: Since I haven't ranted in ages....

Unread postby Banjooie » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:02 am

Uncompressed video is very, very, very big. <p><Chat> <Matto says, "What's up?"
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Angst."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Drama."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Betrayal."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Plushies."</p>

Divinegon2130

Re: Since I haven't ranted in ages....

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:28 pm

An update on this situation, if anyone cares.

I decided enough was enough and bought a program called Nero 6 Ultra Edition (which is supposed to represent an entire media viewing and creation center, as far as I've seen). Things were much less of a hassle there, although I have still been unsuccessful in trying to compress the video in any way, shape, or form.

I managed to fix the desynching problem, however, with the right setting adjustments. (I'd go into detail, but I'm truly not sure how many of you understand software of this sort.) However, I had to borrow my brother's 160 gigabyte drive in order to fit an episode of a TV show (that show was Family Guy, by the way), because a single minute of VHS (with video AND audio) takes up around .7 gigabytes when no compression is used.

I'll figure out the compression thing one way or another, but until then I at least know I can pull this off. <p>

<span style="font-size:medium;"> Quotes of the Moment: </span> <span style="font-size:xx-small;"><br /><br />=="....and I must have missed a step or two - or five." - Fuzzfas, Trynnie Alchemist (from Wizardry 8)<br />=="Great work, Prof! Now find me something to punch." Reese, from the comic 'Dinosaurs for Hire'<br />
View my online journal here.<br />Also, if you have a question about my characters, look here.<br /> And I've been having image trouble, so those are out for a while. </span></p>

Return to Discussion Forum