Building a new one.

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

JasonAB17

Building a new one.

Unread postby JasonAB17 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:01 pm

<FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Hokai. I have a new computer, which showed up a couple weeks ago. It doesn't run right now, having no video card or OS.

We should be able to gideo viedo stuff come this next week some time, which means I need to go an pick that dern OS and install it. Thing is, I can't really decide right now for some reason. :{ So, I ask you people, from my list of choices so far:</FONT><FORM method=post action="http://p068.ezboard.com/frpgww60462frm11.processVote?topicID=854.topic"><table border=0 cellpadding=3 cellspacing=0 width="55%"><tbody><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="1"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Win 2k</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="2"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>True 64 Bit Linux</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="3"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>It's a 120 gig drive... do both, nut!</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="4"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Other/Wut? (post with other, or we all assume you're computer dum. :{)</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="5"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>FIEV!</FONT></td></tr></tbody></table><P><input type=submit value="Vote"></form>Show results</FONT> <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Jak Snide

Re: Building a new one.

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:16 pm

At the risk of sounding like an anti-techie I'm gonna advocate WinXP on the "it works better tfor me han 2k ever did" basis.

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:12 pm

If you play a lot of modern PC games, I'd say XP to be honest. 'some' older 95/98 games can be coexed into working under XP with the compatability settings stuff if need be. As I don't think 95/98 work correctly with 1GIG memory and some of the newer motherboards/hardware now. *shrug*

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:20 pm

Run XP and Linux/NetBSD/some other Unix-based system. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare
Also, when you've worked a 36-hour shift as an intern you too just might pour yourself a catful of coffee and sit down to cuddle with your travel mug. -eirehound
</span>

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:04 pm

Heroes of Might and MAgic three tried to get out of working on Sarah's computer because her version of windows was too good.

It became a running joke of the visit. :( <p>
<div style="text-align:center">What's wrong with this ring?!</div></p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:15 pm

Zem is right. Dual booting is the way to go. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:12 pm

...but Linux isn't based on Unix. It just has a Unix-like interface. :(

Also, I see no reason to put Linux/Unix/Bacon on most computers. <p>
<hr width="70%">This month's "Transformer of the Month" is Grimlock in a Santa hat! He's quite jolly.</p>

Archmage144

Re: We can rebuild it...

Unread postby Archmage144 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:52 pm

I have no idea why you would install Win2k over Win XP Pro. That baffles me.

If for some reason you insist on using Linux, dual-boot.

JasonAB17

Unread postby JasonAB17 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:12 am

Mostly, I've heard bad things about XP. People complaining about compatibility (Hardware, games) and difficulty with System Administration (Vague sentiments of anger toward XP) and reliability (People claiming 2000 to be more reliable than XP. Again, fairly vague.)

I know for certain I can install 2k right now for free. I'm not sure about XP. We had no XP software prior to my father's new machine, which came with the OS already installed. I'll find out if an XP install CD came with. We also already have the Linux stuff. My father seems to believe that Linux would be very useful for any programming/administration sorts of things I'd want to learn. Aside from the prospect of teaching myself to be versed in more systems, there's the sort of far-off threat of Microsoft to go to a monthly payment system in the future. If that happens, having Linux on hand already would be neat. And anyway, It's not like I'm hurting for space. However, neither of these reasons are terribly significant to me right now, as I have no classes to help me right now, and Microsoft IS still being reasonable at the moment.

Which is why I'm asking you people's opinions. o.o Also, since I forgot it: The poll closes when the video card and monitor finally show up (What kind of fscking computer comes without a video card??), and I have already voted five. That way I don't have to keep opening the poll results when I look in here. Video card shows up some time next week... Wednesday or Thursday maybe? <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=jasonab17>JasonAB17</A]&nbsp; Image at: 4/28/05 0:16

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:08 pm

XP has never had any problems for me. I recommend it quite highly as a simple "as unlikely to fail as anything else and much more user friendly" OS.
<p>

"Moreover, when on the following night, much to his dismay, [Caesar] had a dream of raping his own mother, the soothsayers greatly encouraged him by their interpretations of it: namely, that he was destined to conquer the earth" - Suetonius, The Twelve Caesars - Julius Caesar, chapter 7</p>

JasonAB17

Unread postby JasonAB17 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:14 pm

Right: We can't legally reuse my father's XP disc. Aparently it sends some kind of message to Microsoft, which means that if we install two copies, they come after us.

HOWEVER! Microsoft is putting out an experimental 64 bit WinXP, which they give out free of charge. It's made specifically for the processor I'm using. So, I'll make it a dual boot XP/Linux machine. ... Or and XP machine. ... or... ... BLAH.

We'll figure it out. This is still totally a poll. :{ <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:32 pm

Linux isn't really a good choice unless you know some programming. After that, it's primarily a matter of having absolute control over your box, leaving no part of it in some remote corporate conglomerate's hands.

Zem? Expound. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:16 am

Come after you my ass. My dad copied the WinXP Professional CD from where he worked and we passed that thing around like your mom in a cheap hotel room. After that I downloaded all the upgrades and whatnot. The only time it was ever a problem was when I tried to contact Microsoft for tech support. Apparently you can only do it so many times from one CD code.

Also, Linux can eat a dick. After rebuilding the kernel three times (with help from my friend) my MP3s still played at triple speed. Never did figure out what the hell was up with that.

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:51 am

Expounding as ordered!

Linux is a good OS; however, it's not an OS where you just insert the install disk and go. You need to make decisions about what you want it to do. One good thing to do with a Linux box is to have it be your file server, so you can access all your files any computer on your network (if you have one).

The main disadvantage of Linux is that you won't really be able to play any of your Windows games. However, most distributions come with a large number of Linux games.

And I can't really think of anything else. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare
Also, when you've worked a 36-hour shift as an intern you too just might pour yourself a catful of coffee and sit down to cuddle with your travel mug. -eirehound
</span>

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:51 pm

Oh, I should also mention that before I tried Linux I had WinME, which was crashtastic: IE would lock up and I would have to do a hard reboot. WinXP never gave me any problems like that--something would crash, but everything else would be working fine, and I could shut it down via killing the process.

JasonAB17

Unread postby JasonAB17 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:03 pm

Doc: Yeah, the thing of WinME dying on people is pretty common. And Win2k does the bit with programs crashing without killing windows too. Good to know, really.

Also: Seem to be jumping ahead of myself. I don't have the video card yet, and I'm already looking at various computer game controllers and drooling. Wheee. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Return to Discussion Forum