OK. Tell me I'm not insane:

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

JasonAB17

OK. Tell me I'm not insane:

Unread postby JasonAB17 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:40 pm

Ok. Anyone recall that picture that KRisten made a while back on the Oekaki board, of Inu Yasha and Miroku about to kiss?

Kristen wants to make these into bookmarks and give them out at Otakon, along with her Commision sales while she's there. I told her that she can get into trouble for this because Inu Yasha and it's characters aren't her. She says I'm totally misinformed because Japan has different copyright laws. I told her that the people over here who have bought the rights to this show could still come after her, because god knows businesses over here have sued for much less.

Am I just ignorant, or is Kristen stupid? <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

NebulaQueen

Re: OK. Tell me I'm not insane:

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:49 pm

Since Inu Yasha has been imported into America, she could get into trouble. So, you're right about the people owning the rights to it being able to come after her.

However, most anime fanartists tend to blip under the radar. So while they could come after her, it's unlikely that she as long as she remains fairly obscure. But just because it's unlikely, doesn't mean it won't happen; for example, Anne Mcaffrey once went after people doing fanart of her work, regardless of whether or not the artists were making money off of it. Even though Mcaffrey =/= anime, what happened shows that yes, even if it's not likely, this stuff can and does occur.

As for my opinion: Kristen should be okay, but she should also be prepared for any potential troubles coming. Usually they just send a "cease and desist" in these cases, so she can easily quit doing it without her life being ruined.

Big Edit: I misread what Bes posted. Since she isn't selling them, she's less likely to get in trouble. <p>

"My naturally quivering state makes any display of fear deliciously arbitrary" - Manowar Leader, Scary-Go-Round</p>Edited by: NebulaQueen at: 4/17/05 19:34

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:09 pm

Tell her this:

Those things are not going within 100 feet of my car, if made. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">What's wrong with this ring?!</div></p>

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:29 pm

But Shini, their love is so deep! <p>

"My naturally quivering state makes any display of fear deliciously arbitrary" - Manowar Leader, Scary-Go-Round</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:10 pm

Despite my intense anti-fanfiction sentiment, especially when it comes to pairings that are obviously out of character, I have to agree with the statement that she's highly unlikely to get herself in any legal hot water. If I'm not mistaken, if she isn't selling them for money and it's original artwork (even if it's of copyrighted characters that are someone else's intellectual property), she's probably protected under fair use laws and whatnot. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

JasonAB17

Unread postby JasonAB17 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:11 pm

This has been enlightening.

Admittedly she still needs to getherself a ride to the con, since Chris is not longer an option, but I suppose I should leave her alone about this. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Return to Discussion Forum