Holy interactive menus, Batman!

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

FlamingDeth

Re: Holy interactive menus, Batman!

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:47 pm

Oh, I realize that, but I just figure that such people are insignificant and beneath notice. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>
This month's "Transformer of the Month" is Grimlock in a Santa hat! He's quite jolly.</center></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:45 pm

Okay, apparently I have been unclear on this matter, and therefore it is visual aid time. I'm not talking about the character select page that I have already linked here. That works fine and dandy and beautifully and miraculously for everyone, it seems. Truly, it is's ability to not be fucked up is a divine blessing from God himself.

I'm talking about a website design which that page would ultimately be a part of. A design which has yet to be uploaded because I can never get it to work.

It's supposed to look like this, basically. There'll be a title in the header and a menu on the left, and of course, content goes in the black space. Pretty simple stuff... one would think. And technically, it should be. There's about seven or eight completely different ways to code something like that using style sheets, but as I have said, they're all completely worthless because Explorer and Netscape/Firefox can't agree on shit. I'm probably going to have to break down and use the old standby "invisible table" HTML technique that increases load time and is technically supposed to be obsolete now.

Maybe I should raid the CSS Zen garden one more time for ideas...

Edit: And wouldn't you know it, as soon as I decide to give up ever getting CSS boxes to line-up according to my whims, I get the layout to work with the tried and true "bigass table" routine. Oh well.

Those CSS advocates are going to have to work a lot harder if they want us amateur web designers to abandon such schemes and flock to their box-model schemes.

No, I don't expect anyone to have any idea what I'm talking about. But at least it should work for everybody. Probably. Hopefully. If it doesn't, fuck you! :D

Edit II: Hiyaa!! Finally did it, with mad, massive props to my peeps at the CSS creator forums. By "peeps" I mean "this one guy," and by "my" I mean "not affiliated with me in any way, shape or form." But he still got inside my head and kicked my head's ass and indirectly showed me the error of my ways.

I wasn't zen enough. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: BrainWalker&nbsp; Image at: 3/3/05 17:08

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:21 pm

I use IE and I see no problems with it. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare</span>

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:22 pm

Can one ever be Zen enough, really? <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:17 pm

Yes and no. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

PriamNevhausten

-

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:18 am

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=priamnevhausten>PriamNevhausten</A]&nbsp; Image at: 3/4/05 1:19

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:41 am

Or it would have been, if that wasn't way too much effort. You see, zen is less the art of nothingness than it is the art of balance. I was trying too hard to control the style rather than letting the style flow where it will and simply offering direction.

Of course, to attempt to define zen is to miss the point entirely. C'est la vie.

Edit: Well, I've applied the layout template to the main page (which is currently pretty much blank) and the character select page (which isn't very blank at all), and I've added a navigation menu to the left edge of the layout template. Perhaps I should have listed those changes in reverse order. Oh well. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=brainwalker>BrainWalker</A]&nbsp; Image at: 3/4/05 12:50

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:18 am

I'm sorry, the appropriate response was the following: <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:04 pm

It really does. It's amazing how hard it is to set aside your instincts and stop trying to control everything in minute detail.

Edit: Added an incomplete character page for Felicia... took way too long to get it to look like I wanted, and it still doesn't due, once again, to some minor discrepancies between Explorer and Netscape, but it's close enough for now.

Also, a perplexing predicament has arisen. For some inexplicable reason, all the animated gifs on the characters page started running crazy slow in Firefox and Netscape. Not sure why that is, but apparently Pervy didn't notice any differences on his end. If anyone's still paying any attention at all to this thread, could you check it out and get back to me? <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: BrainWalker&nbsp; Image at: 3/4/05 22:25

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:23 pm

I read the source for the HTML page, and I have to say: Holy shit, that is minimalistic. It looks like the CSS does everything for you. <p>-----

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare</span>

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:43 pm

Works fine for me with Firefox. <p>

Image</p>

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:28 am

Most of the sprites are fine. However, Pyron seems to be moving unusually slow.

As for other posssible exceptions...

I'm not sure if Talbain is moving slower than he should, or if that's just how his animation works. The same goes for Rikuo, only replace slow with jerky. <p>

"My naturally quivering state makes any display of fear deliciously arbitrary" - Manowar Leader, Scary-Go-Round</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:35 am

Talbain, Pyron, Q.Bee and Dimitri are the ones that seeem to be suffering the most on my end. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about it, though. It's almost like I gave the browser too much crap for it to handle or something.

I'll work on it some more later. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:47 am

Actually, Pyron, Jedah, and a couple others that I can't be bothered to recall right now were displaying supah-slow, like, a week ago, but now they're quite smooth. I blame ninjas. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:16 am

That's fucked up :( <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:22 pm

Sometimes, and this is only sometimes, in IE6 I click on Pyron and drag up to Hsien-ko, and it will show both characters, one on top of the other. I can then change the non-pyron character by moving the mouse around. <p>
No man can be judged a failure if he has friends. - It's a Wonderful Life</p>

Totally Lex

Damn that Dmitri!

Unread postby Totally Lex » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:40 pm

The burly vampire bloke is the one giving me problems. He doesn't want to show. >:\

Choark

Re: Damn that Dmitri!

Unread postby Choark » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:01 pm

No probs here, and I viewing it with IE <p><div style="text-align:center"> </div>
<div style="text-align:center"> Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center"> Something cute plots your death </div></p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:42 pm

Tested it in IE, and it works. Really great, in fact. <p>-----

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:47 pm

I have yet to find a way to code that thing that doesn't work out beautifully in Explorer. Everything runs smooth as silk and it's all very sexy. But for whatever insane reason, I cannot for the life of me get it to run smoothly in Netscape/FireFox. (Hereafter referred to as "firescape", 'cause I'm lazy)

I don't know why, and I don't know when it started happening, but it's sluggish as all fuck no matter what I do. I don't remember having this problem before, but I sure as Hell can't seem to get rid of it now. So aggravating. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:56 pm

It works perfectly fine for me in firefox 1.0.1. Very smooth, good speed. It takes a second to load, of course, but hey. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:22 pm

Insanity. I wonder why I'm having such trouble then? Shits, I should have tested it out when I was at your place yesterday. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:08 pm

Hell, you know my number.

edit: It seems that in IE, the sprites run at full speed, which is roughly 150% as fast as they display in Firefox. I thought the speed I'd seen in Firefox was their natural speed, partially due to my relative unfamiliarity as of late with the game and its visuals, but it seems I am incorrect.

Currently I cannot test the speed of the sprites in Firefox versus their natural sprite-only animations (i.e. as viewed in Image Viewer or whatever), as I am at my parents' house, where they use IE for some reason or none. I think the problems you related to me with regards to sprite display speed is due to your use of Netscape.

What was the verdict on Netscape sprite display speeds, anyway? I mean, like, when you posted that thing about a year ago with the anigifs with numbers one through eight at different coded speed settings? <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=priamnevhausten>PriamNevhausten</A]&nbsp; Image at: 3/9/05 19:47

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:58 pm

Oh that. Umm... that's a good question. I think the overall verdict was that none of the three browsers could handle frames faster than 6/100 seconds. That would be why so many of the sprites at Fighter's Generation always capped at 6/100. Most of the time that's plenty fast, but for stuff like Talbain's twitching, Q.Bee's wings, and Demitri's aura, browsers just can't handle the frame-speed necessary to accurately display something that only takes up one frame of arcade animation. If that makes any sense.

I never did test that number series to see if there were significant speed variations between Explorer and Netscape...

What the bloody fuck.

I just loaded the characters page in Netscape and it works perfectly again. I didn't change a goddamned thing O.o

... and after minimizing it to type that, and then going back to check on it in disbelief, it has gone back to sucking hardcore. What the fuck!? No, seriously, what the fuck?

Well, I think I've just now decided to give up on ever figuring out why the gods of web design hate me, pretend there's nothing wrong, and move on to other things.

Anyway, it's difficult to explain exactly what "speed" means in writing because it's such a visual thing, and also because it's relative per user/browser. However, for reference, when I say sprites are "running slow" I'm not referring to the fact that gif animation is generally processed at a slightly slower pace in Firescape. I mean they're literally running at half the speed they're supposed to. Right now, Talbain's animation takes almost three full seconds to complete one loop in Firescape. At least for me, anyway. For some unfathomable reason. I suppose, going back to the numbers thing Priam mentioned, it's worth mentioning that the only sprites that are having problems that massive are the ones with any number of 6/100 second frames. Still, reguardless of gifs that are animating at decent speed, there's still a big lag between selecting different characters. It should be instant.

*sigh*

Why can't we all just get along? Stupid fucking compatibility. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

RebelKitsune

Well, uh..

Unread postby RebelKitsune » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:41 am

I have absolutely no idea of how I can help, as I have no experience with the game whatsoever... But the moment I opened the link, I found the first mistake.

You spelt darkstalkers badly in the page title. >_>

Otherwise, this is one awesomelicious piece of work. I adore it. Now I'm gonna go see how I can play this game ASAP. :D <p>

There is no sig.</p>

PriamNevhausten

Re: Well, uh..

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:40 pm

*spelled. Also, get MAME32k or Nebula or Kawaks like the rest of us. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

RebelKitsune

Unread postby RebelKitsune » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:19 am

Don't be so picky, spelt is also accepted, if... less correct, so to speak. Also, I sense a little bit of bitterness. I'm just trying to help, seeing as having the name of the actual game the page is dedicated to misspelled (there, happy? :P) in the title isn't the best of signs. As I said, the rest is simply ace and I bow to BW for his amazing work.
Also, that's what I did. However Mame is limited to just the first version of darkstalkers, as far as I know. The gameplay isn't as fluid as I expected it to be. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image
<span style="color:navy;font-family:century gothic;font-size:large;">LOSER!!!1!!1!WTFLOL!1</span>
<span style="font-family:century gothic;font-size:x-small;">"Griff. It is a duck. Do not punch it.
No kicking, either.
It might have powers." ~ Kylitos</span>
</div></p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:54 am

Or you could go on eBay and pick up a copy for the Saturn or PlayStation. <p>

Image</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:18 pm

I believe Our End may be on to something! <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:22 pm

<JtotheB> There is a certain brand of coolness that one can achieve only by being fully CSS and HTML standards compliant.
* JtotheB flashes a shit-eating grin and cracks a beer.

So relevant. :D <p>-----

RebelKitsune

Unread postby RebelKitsune » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:49 pm

I would so definitely do that... but I have no credit card and I'm not allowed to use money orders :( Plus my parents would flip if they knew I did it without permission... and say no if I asked. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image
<span style="color:navy;font-family:century gothic;font-size:large;">LOSER!!!1!!1!WTFLOL!1</span>
<span style="font-family:century gothic;font-size:x-small;">"Griff. It is a duck. Do not punch it.
No kicking, either.
</div></p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:52 pm

What the hell? What's their reasoning for no money orders/no credit card/no Internet orders? <p>

Image</p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:29 pm

I understand the credit card thing. But money orders? No sense. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

RebelKitsune

Unread postby RebelKitsune » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:39 pm

My bank account doesn't allow it, so I'd need to ask my parents. Plus my family is paranoid about giving out credentials over the 'net. You should've been there when I received a USB pen drive from a friend from irc as a gift. Can you say "overreaction"? <p><div style="text-align:center">Image
No kicking, either.
</div></p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:24 pm

"Overreaction".

But remember, most parents aren't that technology literate. Thus, they believe the hoax emails that say that hackers can steal their children over the internet. By that viewpoint, it's not paranoid. <p>-----

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:30 pm

Hey now, don't knock the hacker children trade. There's good bread in that. <p>---------------------------

Your are not supposed to be reading this!</p>

RebelKitsune

Unread postby RebelKitsune » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:33 pm

Indeed there is. Also, my dad is EXTREMELY technology literate. He is paranoid. trust me.
but enough about my misfortunes regarding my benefitting from online trade. What will the BW do with his wondrous shrine now? <p><div style="text-align:center">Image
No kicking, either.
</div></p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:17 am

How does your bank account not allow money orders? You go to a grocery store, say "I'd like to buy a money order for $20," and they're all like "That will be $20.79 then, here you go have a nice day." No bank account needed. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

RebelKitsune

Unread postby RebelKitsune » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:25 am

Right then. I guess my dad pulled a fast one on me. Shows just how much I know.. But still, while that's one problem solved, my parents won't be too excited to see that I ordered something on the internet without their permission. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image
No kicking, either.
</div></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:04 am

BW still hasn't figured out why FireScape is giving him shit about the crazy character select page, and therefore, BW probably won't do Jack with his "shrine" until such time as the issue is resolved.

Which probably means the project is dead, 'cause I'll be damned if I can figure out how to fix it, or even what's wrong with it in the first place. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion Forum