... Warner Brothers should DIE.

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!

Re: ... Warner Brothers should DIE.

Unread postby Nakibe » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:06 pm

I dunno. On the one hand this hurts my soul just to see my classics perverted like this.

On the OTHER hand, I want to SEE it bomb before I make too much fun of it. Who knows? Like Batman Beyond and other things that I thought would suck, it may prove me wrong. I just doubt it a HELL of a lot tonight.

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:13 pm

I still want to know who gave Bugs Bunny the symbiote. Has Eddy Brock been stopping by Warner Bros. lately? =[

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:26 pm

FD is incorrect! Lola is the female bunny from Space Jam. Babs is the female bunny from Tiny Toons.

Bitch. <p>__-__-__-__-__-__

"If a tree falls in the middle of a forest and no one's around to hear it, it was obviously the work of ninja."
-Darkknight

"Screw normal, because if you're normal, the crowd will accept you, but if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader."
-Christopher Titus</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:29 pm

I wanna see them pervert that monster thing. What was it's name? The big red thing?

He was awesome. <p>
<center><small>"Pants are bad!!! We should wear pants only on our head you conformist bastard!!! Pants are the devils work!! Run freee!! And pantless!!!" -- Vulture

</p>

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:31 pm

I don't think he was actually given a name, Dia. I think he was just the red hairy monster.

Who wore basketball sneakers, for some inexplicable reason. <p>__-__-__-__-__-__

"If a tree falls in the middle of a forest and no one's around to hear it, it was obviously the work of ninja."
-Darkknight

"Screw normal, because if you're normal, the crowd will accept you, but if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader."
-Christopher Titus</p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:49 pm

Yes, his name is Gossamer.

Also, I'm not sure about anyone else, but I was actually pretty happy, if skeptical, when they announced Metroid Prime would be three-dimensional, first-person-y. I hadn't yet seen a way where a 2d franchise had survived the transition into 3d with its known quality intact, and Prime showed me better (on the other hand, Echoes did a little bit of a backstep in that regard, unfortunately).

I don't think necessarily all gripes about advancement and change are invalid. If one looks at the early Monkey Island games, for example, and compares it to the 3d iteration of the set, the difference becomes clear. Same goes for the King of Fighters games: KoF: MaxImpact was not nearly up to the quality level of its 2d predecessors. There are other examples, of course, but I don't care to list them.

For all that, however, it would be folly to demonize a franchise's new iterations right out the box just because there's something different about it. Because that makes you look like one of the people who bitched about cel shading in Zelda: Wind Waker, and that's not an affiliation any of us wants. Give shit a chance.

Not necessarily bitching towards anyone in this forum, because I can't really recall anyone doing so around here. But still, it had to be said. Sort of. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=priamnevhausten>PriamNevhausten</A]&nbsp; Image at: 2/17/05 20:07

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:48 pm

I have a few thoughts on this subject.

Remember guys, most of us are no longer the target audience for this stuff anymore. Can't you tell why people here feel so strongly against the new Transformers, TMNT, He-Man, and so on? For starters we all glorify our childhoods, desiring the blissful lack of responsibility that we had back then. I feel it is part of the human condition to desire someone we can depend on absolutely to do everything for us, and for most of us we were lucky enough to have a parent do this for us. Plus, other than social issues, kids have very little worries or problems, and social problems (I'm talking about things like friends and popularity here) are often changed dramatically over time, or are at least no more than a minor unhappy memory. Thus most of us desire, to various degrees, to return to the utopia of childhood. This is why people can become angered (or at least mildly insulted) at events such as this one. We feel as if our idealized memories are being subverted and perverted. Yet if you ask a child (I'm thinking between 5 and 9 here) which Star Wars film they liked the most, there may be a majority in favour of the newer films.

The same thing is happening to video games (remember how you felt when they announced that GTA was changing to a 3D action game? Or metroid to a first person shooter? There are other, better examples of games being perverted, but none are coming to mind right now) and to children's tv. The majority of kids today, and I speak as someone who worked in a video game and dvd store, are interested in high-graphics, high-effects, brightly coloured, and yet darker themed and more edgy attituded products. This has brought about revamped versions of shows you loved as a child for two reasons. Firstly: many young children have never seen the older versions, and thus a lot of plots and background stories can be reused, saving on writing time. Second: these characters/groups/settings/events have been tried and tested. They have proven their popularity. What, I ask you, do these companies such as Warner Bros care about? Is it the fans of their past shows? Is it their dedication to the art of entertainment? Is it the characters they've created? No. It's the money. If they can recreated a character it means less effort on their part and a whole range of new merchandise.

The reason we become so agitated by these events is that we feel as if part of our identity is being stolen away from us. Some of these characters were our heroes! I know that I personally looked up to Thomas the Tank Engine when I was 3, He-Man when I was 5, Michaelangelo when I was 7, and Optimus Prime when I was a little older than that. I wanted to become these characters, and that becomes imbeded in your mindset. Therefore, when you see these characters changed, you can feel as if part of yourself has been changed without your permission, and I feel that that is what we are really angered by. <p>
No man can be judged a failure if he has friends. - It's a Wonderful Life</p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:11 pm

I'll agree with that. I loved Metroid Prime. I thought Zelda: Wind Waker was one of the most beautiful games I'd played in a while. I was having trouble thinking about video games being bastardized and those were the only ones I could come up with. I shouldn't have put them in and I'll retract that statement. The problem is, for every person who says a gmae series is ruined by a new game, someone else says its improved. I'm having difficulty thinking of one where there was a clear majority saying that a change had a negative impact on a game. Maybe it's just more obvious on television. <p>
No man can be judged a failure if he has friends. - It's a Wonderful Life</p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:29 pm

Priam: Duke Nukem 1 and 2 were 2D games, but Duke Nukem 3D was a pretty good 3D sequel. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare</span>

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Unread postby Animala » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:40 pm

Quote:
I'm having difficulty thinking of one where there was a clear majority saying that a change had a negative impact on a game.

Star Fox Adventures.

-Koss <p>
In the beginning was the word...</p>

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:50 pm

Gossamer! That's right. <p>__-__-__-__-__-__

-Darkknight

-Christopher Titus</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:11 pm

Koss is very correct.

Also: Batman Beyond didn't suck? Guess it was just me, then. I thought it was mostly trash.

FURTHERMORE: END. YOUR PICTURE DOES NOT SHOW UP WHEN USING A DREAMCAST BROWSER. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU? YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE THE SEGA FANBOY AND THINK ABOUT THINGS LIKE THAT >:

Finally on topic: I am apathetic. My stance on TV and Movies has withered to the point i's hard to make me care. Right now, I'm just waiting for Disney to rape the Saga of the Volsungs as it did with Hercules and Greek Mythology in general ;_; <p>---------------------------

Your are not supposed to be reading this!</p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:32 pm

Batman Beyond was okay, but it did seem like a teenbeat take on The Animated Series.

Also, I'M USING PNG FORMAT, BITCH. :( IT'S BECAUSE OF YOU FOOLS WHO ADOPTED LATE THAT SEGA NEVER ADDED .PNG SUPPORT!!! WEEP!!! <p>

Image</p>

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:11 pm

Starfox Adventures was originally not even supposed to be a Starfox game (and was supposed to come out on the N64). But then I forget exactly what happened, and somehow Rare (the newer, we-take-forever-to-release-shitty-games Rare) got involved, and turned it into another mindless collect-a-thon. And then they got the Starfox license, and slapped it in, and the end result was ass.

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Unread postby Animala » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:36 pm

It was fluffy, though.

And waaaaaaay too easy.

-Koss <p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:38 pm

It was fluffy and full of furry fanservice. <p>

Image</p>

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Unread postby Animala » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:46 pm

It was mostly full of dinosaurs.

-Koss <p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:52 pm

Talking dinosaurs. <p>

Image</p>

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:29 am

Quote:
For all that, however, it would be folly to demonize a franchise's new iterations right out the box just because there's something different about it. Because that makes you look like one of the people who bitched about cel shading in Zelda: Wind Waker, and that's not an affiliation any of us wants. Give shit a chance.

Nothing much to add other then I FUCKING AGREE.

Serisouly. If Space Jam didn't ruin Warner Brothers. I highly doubt this will.

<p><div style="text-align:center">
</div></p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:33 am

re: series suffering due to bad iterations

Guilty Gear Isuka
The Matrix: Reloaded <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:16 am

Holy shit twice. I can't believe someone else is a big enough nerd to know Gossamer's name. That is awesome.

You know, part of the reason that new Duck Dodgers cartoon is such an awesome show is that they randomly bring back totally awesome totally oldschool obscure Looney Toons characters like Gossamer and Nasty Canasta. God bless them for remembering their roots.

Also, Batman Beyond didn't suck. HOWEVER, this opinion may be influenced by my massive loathing for the immeasurable flaming pile of putrid filth that was The New Batman Adventures, a.k.a. the soul-crushing ruination of animated Batman that followed the award-winning run of Batman: the Animated Series. Compared to that rubbish, Batman Beyond was like divine intervention. Plus, Bruce Wayne makes a cool bitter old guy, and they did Mr.Freeze RIGHT. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: BrainWalker&nbsp; Image at: 2/18/05 3:27

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:44 am

Did BW miss the episode pf Duck Dodgers where that one wrestler makes an appearance? I forget his name. But once upon a time he fought Bugs Bunny in a wrestling ring!

Bruno, Crushers, or whatever. I can't remember the name clearly. :/ <p><div style="text-align:center">
</div></p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:19 am

[url=http://jatser.typepad.com/prognosis_negative/2005/02/they_redesigned.html>Fucking] <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:26 am

Teen Titans was on Kid's WB? I didn't know that. Don't all WB shows start with that annoying logo presentation? <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:48 pm

Is on Kid's WB. They've entered Season 3 now... <p>--------------------
<span style="color:orange;font-family:helvetica;">Yo.</span></p>

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:21 pm

You know, there was something that irked me about the new Bugs design (...well, besides the obvious) that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

But, as a blurb on the change came up on my local news-with visual aids comparing Bugs and Buzz-it finally hit me.

The new Bugs-type character looks like a wingless moth.

Think about it. He has the wide, spread out, antennae like ears, and his large yellow eyes look rather insectoid. Hell, if you replace the black sections of his body with a brighter color, he'd look like some of the really weird moths I've seen a few years ago down here.

So...yeah. That's all I really have to say about this. <p>

*Megaman sounds like a little girl*-Uncle Pervy, on the Voice Acting in MM8

"Well, we've made it to Leeds without being robbed or violated. We win at time traveling!" - Shelley, Scary-Go-Round</p>

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:25 am

Bugs has a long way to go to become Arthur :(

Spooooooooooooon. <p><div style="text-align:center">
</div></p>

Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!

Unread postby Nakibe » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:05 am

Correction: OLDER episodes of Teen Titans are on the WB. They're up to about halfway through Season 2. Season 3, however, is currently showing on Saturdays on Cartoon Network, for those that get cable.

Also? Teen Titans is DARK? HAH! Futuristic?!? <span style="font-size:large;">HAH!!</span>

I LAUGH AT THEE, FUNNY-SMELLING MAN THAT IS POSSIBLY STRONG ENOUGH FOR A WOMAN! >:{{{

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=nakibe>Nakibe</A] at: 2/19/05 1:08

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:52 am

Evil on the attack.

That's really all I want to say. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:02 am

Oh LAWD
http://www.aintitcool.com/downloads/Loo ... review.mov <p><div style="text-align:center">
</div></p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:08 am

Words defy me. They really do.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:18 pm

Out of curiosity, if these weren't being made out of 'classic' characters, would any of you have a problem with it?

*doesn't mind the preview video!* <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>
This month's "Transformer of the Month" is Grimlock in a Santa hat! He's quite jolly.</center></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:20 pm

Actually, I don't think I'd be so amused. <p>
<center><small>"Pants are bad!!! We should wear pants only on our head you conformist bastard!!! Pants are the devils work!! Run freee!! And pantless!!!" -- Vulture

</p>

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:01 pm

I don't really care one way or another.
Although it wasn't as extreme as this, I didn't mind it when they redesigned some of the Disney characters in Kingdom hearts. <p><div style="text-align:center">
</div></p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:09 pm

FD is right: I wouldn't have a problem with this if they were just new characters.

Then again, I wouldn't be anywhere near as amused. Or able to make people want to curl up and die by showing the trailer to them. :D

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:11 pm

I was talking to the people who were all up in arms about it, you cads! :(! <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>
This month's "Transformer of the Month" is Grimlock in a Santa hat! He's quite jolly.</center></p>

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:58 pm

Turning Bugs Bunny into a serious and battle-ready character is like changing Batman into Inspector Gadget. <p>__-__-__-__-__-__

-Darkknight

-Christopher Titus</p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:01 pm

.......Batman IS Inspector Gadget. Just at night. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

JasonAB17

Unread postby JasonAB17 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:52 pm

Your answer: No. If they were completely original characters, I'd laugh and say it was doomed, and then I'd probably never think about them again.

Now that I'm calming down and getting more apathetic to it, I'll probably do that anyway. It's certainly too late to do anything about it. :{

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:59 am

L0o0natikx0rz?

--Edit--
Regarding the intro movie debacle:

--edit again!--

hahahahaha! The Wile E. Coyote tweak's supahpower is 'regenerative ability.' Ex fricken dee. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=priamnevhausten>PriamNevhausten</A]&nbsp; Image at: 2/20/05 5:33

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion Forum