The Book of Mormon Movie.

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Lord McBastard

The Book of Mormon Movie.

Unread postby Lord McBastard » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:38 am

<FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Will you go see it?

Why or why not?</FONT><FORM method=post action="http://p068.ezboard.com/frpgww60462frm11.processVote?topicID=688.topic"><table border=0 cellpadding=3 cellspacing=0 width="55%"><tbody><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="1"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Yeah.</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="2"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Naw.</FONT></td></tr></tbody></table><P><input type=submit value="Vote"></form>Show results</FONT> <p><div style="text-align:center">
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagh'nagl fhtagn"-Call of Cthulhu</div>
<div style="text-align:center">"Go tell your alien brothers, that Ronnie Cordova says they're gay!"-Ronnie Cordova</div></p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Re: The Book of Mormon Movie.

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:18 am

Same answer as before.

Which is to say, No, because it's a movie. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:07 am

What they said.

Yes, both of them. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:23 am

... How about... NO.

... Oh yeah, as for why... *ahem*

Cuuuuuuuult. ... Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuult. ..... CULT. ... CULT. ... Cultey cultey cultey CULT! ... >_> ... Cult.

CULT!

... I mean, Uhm. ... ... No, sorry. I just don't have, and will never have, any respect for the book of Mormon. =P Ironically, much like many people have no respect for my own beliefs! =D Oh well!!

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:24 am

No. It don't got Ronnie Cordova. And if a movie don't got Ronnie Cordova, then it don't got me watching it.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:40 pm

Yes cause while I've been inundated with modern looks at the bible and christianity I've never really understood how the Mormons view themselves, nor have I read the book. So, in an effort to increase my cultural knowlege, I'll maybe go, but probably rent it or download it instead.
<p>

I am just too damn British.

LilDragonFluffy: HOW TE FUCK DO YOU FEMININFIZE GUS?!

"The best research [for playing a drunk] is being a British actor for 20 years." - Michael Caine</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:47 pm

I have quite a bit of respect for (most of) the Mormons I have met, but no, don't plan to see the movie. <p>
<center>Hello, I'm Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!
</center><small>-=- "Maybe... or maybe you're just not drunk enough." -- Nakibe
-=- "Magic. As in, big flashy dink!" -- El Bob (Squintz)
-=- "Look hun, it's...uh...raining... ...frogs...O_o;;;" -- Aya, Queen of Doma (LDC)
-=- "I FOUND A CORNER! I found a corner, I found a corner! See, right here! Stuck on the wall! It's a corner! Woo hoo! Now, to stare at it!" -- Daenj'r (KingOfDoma)</small></p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=pdrydia>pd]&nbsp; Image at: 2/24/04 3:14 pm

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:09 pm

Perhaps I am baised, but I don't view the Mormons as a cult.

Then again, I define a cult as a faith-based movement that requires significant mental impairment to follow, is shunned by the majority of people in it's region, and tends to be maladaptive. A tendancy to break major laws contributes to this status as well.

Given that Mormonism is, as a whole, mostly law abiding (with the exception of Bigamy), and that it's members are mostly functional members of society, I don't consider the faith a cult.

However, the fact that I have had good experiences with Mormons does help in that regard.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:15 pm

No, because it's a religious movie, and I have zero interest in religion.

This would be the same reason for 'The Passion of the Christ', but.. man! Jesus was really antiestablishment. :p

Lord McBastard

Unread postby Lord McBastard » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:17 pm

Actually Bigamy was an old practice and a necessity at the time. A few people still practice it, but they aren't recognized by the church.

Long ago (I don't recall when and where, though probably in America) the Mormons were persecuted quite heavily and most of the men were killed. The remaining Mormons fled the area, but since there were so many women and so few men (and it was at the time of "women can't take care of themselves"), the women were 'divided' amongst them remaining men and were expected to take care of them. Since the Mormons hold family values as very important, they thought the best way to do it was to simply marry the men and women. When the male population increased once more, they stopped practicing it. <p><div style="text-align:center">
<div style="text-align:center">"Go tell your alien brothers, that Ronnie Cordova says they're gay!"-Ronnie Cordova</div></p>

Phil

Also...

Unread postby Phil » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:49 am

Also, you have to remember that single women were completely hosed six different ways from easter sunday under 19th century law - another reason this was practiced. A lot of people think that this means that Mormons treat women like posessions, but really nothing could be further from the truth - among all of the Christian religions, they're the only one I know of that actively states that there should be no dominant gender. And at the end of the day, it wasn't even that widely practiced, and even then only if the man and all women inolved wanted to. They pretty much dropped it over a 100-150 years ago, and now if you practice it, it gets you kicked out of the church.

And Brandon, I never would have expected you to know this much about Mormons. I don't mean that in a bad way, I'm impressed.

Choark

Re: Also...

Unread postby Choark » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:39 am

Have to admit I'm more interested in this disgussion about the Mormons rather then the movie, as I had not heard of it before now. Of course, because they lack a huge tattoo on there forehead saying "Mormon" I'm not sure if I ever met one but I do know I know absolutly zero to nil about them.

I think I remember something about Salt Lake City being involved somewhere but thats about it and is probably completely wrong *shrugs*

Oh and religion generally feels like some weird cult to me anywho... its not of course, but it feels like it. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center">Cowgirl fanboy - Barbarian Ninja - Expert Mouse Catcher - Holder of the Iron Glasses Of Doom!</div></p>

Uncle Pervy

Re: Also...

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:57 am

Salt Lake City is where you'd find a lot of them.

The Mormons took to the Utah region, after finding themselves unwelcome in the east during the 1800's.

Lord McBastard

Unread postby Lord McBastard » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:20 am

I actually spent quite a bit of time at work speaking with a Mormon co-worker, he gave me a book of Mormon, which I haven't finished yet.

Salt Lake is indeed a big Mormon town, but Mormons are encouraged to do missionary work for a few years thus have a pretty wide outlook on the rest of the world. As well they apparently have one of the best geneolgy databases in the world, if you want to know about your family history go to Salt Lake and ind the Mormon Temple.

A way to identify mormons doing missionary work is black pants, black tie, white shirt anda name tag that usually says Elder So and So. They are also extremely helpful, with nigh anything. They also abstain from coffe, alcohol, smoking, most soft drinks, and other things that are harmful to the body (this is the primary thing that puts me off seriously considering becoming a Mormon, though I must say they have some pretty good ideals) <p><div style="text-align:center">

SorataYuy
The dark-haired miscreant

Unread postby SorataYuy » Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:06 am

Psst. Cho! You do know a Mormon. We've never talked much, mostly due to you being on AIM at odd times and me rarely having AIM on, but still.

Anyways, no plans to see this movie because, well, I've got the book. A theater's product can never quite compare to what my imagination comes up with, y'know? *shrugs* Plus I'm just not really a big fan of theaters anymore. Except for LOTR, and any of the good comic movies. >_> *is already considering camping for Spider-Man 2* <p>I BUKKAKE FOR JUSTICE!!!</p>Edited by: SorataYuy at: 2/25/04 8:07 am

Vampire Jester Jinx

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:31 am

Undecided. Nice enough people, those I've met, but never really rang special to me. If I go, it's because someone is dying to see it... and no one comes to mind.......so how about no? <p>
<div style="text-align:center">
Too cool to sig...
</div></p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:46 pm

Indeed, we had a bunch of Mormons that were regulars where I work last year during the spring months, I believe. Haven't seen 'em in...maybe 9 months, now? Guess they took their pilgrimage elsewhere. Good people.

Also, the difference between a religion and a cult is the number of people who believe, according to a professor I had for a Philosophy of Religion class. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:11 pm

So, if Heaven's Gate claimed the lives of 100,000 people, THEN it would be a religion?

Dictionary.com says that a cult is "a religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader." So, in that, it can be said that regardless of how many people were in Heaven's Gate, it would still be a cult, but, it cannot be said that Mormonism is a cult.

Anymore.

But, still, often the reason why people are against the Mormons is because they were the ones who took a step past Christianity to something else. Frankly, IMHO, it was a WRONG step, but that statement alone won't stop people from believing. Which is fine. We all need answers to life's questions, and there are a myriad ways to answer them.

Anyways, I MIGHT go see the movie, even if it's just to see how they deal with their edited holy book and the fact that it was once canon (not just some guys twisting scripture, but actual, irrefutable scripture) to be prejudiced against African Americans... <p>--------------------
"Kill her. Then we'll have pizza."

-Scorpius, Farscape

Happy Winter-een-mas!</p>

Lord McBastard

Unread postby Lord McBastard » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:53 pm

The whole anti-African American thing never clicks with me. Infact whenever I think of Mormons I think of a co-worker of mine who was actualy Haitian. He's who I learned pretty much all I know about Mormons from. <p><div style="text-align:center">

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:22 pm

Don't believe me? Research for yourself. And ask questions. You may be surprised. <p>--------------------
"Kill her. Then we'll have pizza."

-Scorpius, Farscape

Happy Winter-een-mas!</p>

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:45 am

Hmm, they were actually anti-negro, eh? I'm going to have to ask Jeff about that.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:53 pm

I'm pretty sure they aint racist on principle any more, especially as I met one who was asian. That's actually quite a sad story. He was part of a mission that (for some reason or another) was passing through Duke. Unfortunately some idiots when drunk one night thought it would funny to see how far they could push the whole non-violence thing and kept pushing him and pushing him and teasing him and eventually the guy snaped and floored one of them with a single punch.

The mormons left the next day.

I hate arseholes.
<p>

I am just too damn British.

LilDragonFluffy: HOW TE FUCK DO YOU FEMININFIZE GUS?!

"The best research [for playing a drunk] is being a British actor for 20 years." - Michael Caine</p>

Phil

Otay!

Unread postby Phil » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:18 pm

*performs the apporopriate thread necromancy rituals, including a summoning square made out of sawdust* Well, there goes Roy right out of Grant's ear. >.>

Nobody addressed your point, Charles, so I will. Turns out that in the book of Moses (from the book of mormon), Moses supposedly says that god turned Cain's skin black when he murdered his brother in the garden of Eden, and that the black people he bumped into were all descendants of Cain in some fashion. However, Mormons who actually know their stuff know that this was not to be held against any descendants of Cain, that black people should not be held responsible for one man's actions. Some black mormons see themselves as weak souls because of this, and the church does a lot to ---discourage--- that type of thinking, especially considering that mormons don't believe in original sin.

Naturally ,there are some mormons who are complete human wastelands and will still hold that black people are inherently evil. This is absolutely false even under mormon contexts, so anyone who told you that is a very bad mormon, and a very bad person. Another point of contention is the denial of mormon priesthood to blacks until around 1976(?). This actually confused a lot of prophets, pretty much all of them saw no reason not to grant it, but believed that god was telling them "don't do it yet." Interestingly, Joseph Smith himself (the first prophet) granted priesthood to blacks, but nobody else did until the 70's.

Now, of course this is all under mormon context, but whether I believe it or not isn't relevant to this argument - I think this is a case of you mistaking their beliefs and possibly running into a couple of bad examples of mormons, Charles.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:21 pm

I've never had any real problems with Mormons. Salt Lake City is a little odd, though. Everyone was WAY too nice. My request for a bandaid prompted them to call out a first-aid crew just to make sure I was okay. Way too nice.
After a few days there, I realized that only a religious group would settle up in the mountains... in the middle of the desert... next to a lake you can't drink from.

Edit: I don't know how this ended up at the top of the discussion board table, but after I replied to it I realized this is a really really old thread. Apologies for a breach of etiquette. <p>-------------------------
Wise man say, "forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

"Fat is a waste of meatspace."</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kai@rpgww60462>Kai</A] at: 1/4/05 12:40

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:46 am

It's cause some douche voted in it, bringing it back up to the top. I wouldn't worry about it.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:52 am

No, it's not. It's because Luj hasn't been around in ages, and made a post.

...wait, or was that some other thread? I am confused! <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=priamnevhausten>PriamNevhausten</A]&nbsp; Image at: 1/5/05 8:52

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:32 pm

So who here has seen it, since it seems to be out now? <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare</span>

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:04 pm

Didn't know it was out, and still don't plan on seeing it. Seriously. Have you even seen the Mormon bible? My friends and I looked through one a few years ago (one of them being a nonpracticing one) and yeah... a lot of crazy things written in it. Sounded kinda like a bad sci-fi book in parts. At least with the names...

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:39 pm

Onoes, scriptures that sound silly from the perspective of someone not in that religion?

Say it ain't so! <p>
<center><small>"We are just poor, wandering corn farmers..."
</p>

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:29 am

No, I've read other holy books, but this one takes the cake.

...Unless Scientologists have the cake, then Mormons can't get to it.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:37 am

Scientology has eaten the cake. No one else can possibly ever take it. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>This month's "Transformer of the Month" is Grimlock in a Santa hat! He's quite jolly.</center></p>

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:12 pm

I don't think Scientologists actually have it anymore. They did, but Xenu stole it thousands of years ago. Someday, he's going to come back with that cake, and we'd better pray that L. Ron Hubbard can defeat him. Xenu lives! Fall on your knees and send your paychecks now! <p>-------------------------
Wise man say, "forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

"Fat is a waste of meatspace."</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kai@rpgww60462>Kai</A] at: 1/7/05 20:17

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:29 am

*Slowly starts clapping for Kai on that response*

Lord only knows what'll happen when Xenu comes back.

Him and his blowing up all his enemies with what... 150 hydrogen bombs?

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:07 am

THERE IS NO XENU.

ONLY ZUUL. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Will Rennar

.eivoM nomroM fo kooB ehT :eR

Unread postby Will Rennar » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:46 pm

Bahh...when they decide to make a movie about Raelians, THEN I'll go watch. ..Might even rent a copy of this thing and watch it, the Passion of the Christ, and Jesus Christ Superstar back-to-back-to-back before watching it, just to make thoroughly certain that my brain has been turned into mulch beforehand.

Unknown

Unknown

Unread postby Unknown » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:39 am

(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Return to Discussion Forum