RPGWW Radio Dramas!

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

The Great Nevareh

RPGWW Radio Dramas!

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:48 pm

Howdy!
I recently came upon the idea that, though I have no drawing skills and my writing talents, though potentially good, are usually too time-consuming for me to flex, that I actually have another way I can enrich this community.

Keep in mind that what I'm about to say is highly theoretical. It's just an idea. But it is one that I think could work.

It occurred to me that there is a *slight* chance that there are none of you with my background in acting and music. This is more shady in terms of music, but I'm much more sure about the acting part. If you want I'll post a resume with my credentials. Unfortunately for me, the music I can do tends not to be of the kind that loses little in translation to electronic medium, so I doubt I can do anything along those lines...

HOWEVER...

I am a skilled and trained actor, and I also have access to skilled and trained actor friends who are usually up for anything... and I mean anything... so long as it involves acting. So, what I thought I could end up doing is making a series of RPGWW-based radio dramas using existing characters and scripts written by the members of the RPGWW community. No, the episodes wouldn't air on radio, but they would be made in a radio-type format.

There ARE some limits- I don't think I could do sound effects, so it would end up more like a book-on-tape than a radio show.

Anyway, in order to do this, I'd need to have both approval and permission from the owners and creators of the characters portrayed, as well as scripts written by people who know and understand that what they write is not inviolate and it most likely will undergo some kind of changes during the creative process.

I'd also need descriptions not of what characters look like, but what they *sound* like, and try not to use Gaera terms when doing this, since the people doing the interpreting have a 99.9% chance of not knowing or caring what any of those terms mean.

Also, if I manage to pull this off, I want to say right now that nothing produced will fit your exact image of your character. Don't expect it to come out exactly right.

That said, I think I could really do this with enough support, though it might take me awhile to get it rolling. I'd just like to see what the community has to say about this.

[edit] Spacing. :{ -Dia- :D <p>[---------------------------]
"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=pdrydia>pd]&nbsp; Image at: 10/7/04 11:29 pm

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Re: RPGWW Radio Dramas!

Unread postby Molokidan » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:58 pm

Well, I think radio dramas is a cool idea worth exploring, but I would be annoyed to have other people controlling my characters. I mean, that's just me, though. But I have a mic, and I've *gasp* done voice acting before, for a fandub of a certain anime named Hunter X Hunter. Besides, I know my characters and stuff.

Nevareh, I didn't know you were an actor! This is an interesting story you must tell sometime! <p>---------------

"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:08 am

I am interested in this idea, and I think RP and/or fiction excerpts might well be adapted for this use! <p>
<center><small>"We are just poor, wandering corn farmers..."
</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:08 am

Damn. That's freakin awesome.

Except for the sound effects thing. You GOTTA have sound effects. Radio dramas are all about sound effects and cheesy little BGM clips. Radio dramas gave us the "dramatic chord" and "sheet metal thunder". You can't deny that heritage, man : ( <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:14 am

Now this has the potential for extreme grooviness.

And, I have a suggestion to solve the problem with potential out of characterness.

1) Have other RPGWWers work on some of the scripts, with characters they know fairly well.

2) Or, run the script by the RPers, so they can point out things that are IC and things that are OOC. <p>

*Megaman sounds like a little girl*-Uncle Pervy, on the Voice Acting in MM8

"Well, we've made it to Leeds without being robbed or violated. We win at time traveling!" - Shelley, Scary-Go-Round</p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:44 pm

I sort of meant that RPGWWers would WRITE the scripts.

And, BW, if you know a place where I can get access to sound effects for a low, low price, I would most happily go there. Remember- As a college student, I am on a budget. <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=thegreatnevareh>The] at: 10/8/04 3:45 pm

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:12 pm

Oh, don't you worry, I am well acquainted with the collegiate budget. However, I am also well acquainted with the resourcefulness of the penniless college student. I'm sure you and your pals could brainstorm something. Hell, just yesterday I created a random nifty sound effect by putting a random piece of non-circular foreign coinage I had lying around (from the last time Alex was in OH/KY) in a balloon and getting it to roll around on the inside. That's certainly not high-budget sfx :P <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

wkz

Unread postby wkz » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:24 pm

Also, you can be surprised at how some good sfx companies for BIG movies come up with their sound effects.....

Some of them still uses real boot-to-popcorn, metal-sheet lightning and other such low-tech, low-budget sfx creation techniques... <p>

Hmmm... A deviantart account, and nothing inside :(</p>

Vampire Jester Jinx

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:05 pm

>.> I had to make a movie for school, you'd be amazed at the only sound effect galleries that are free.....6.6 <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:06 pm

My problems aren't with "Wind Blowing" or "Gun Shooting." My problems are with "Sword clash" and "Magic Blast" and "Explosion." <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung</p>

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:58 pm

Dude, just make them with your mouth. When I was a kid and playing with action figures and stuff, I just used to do them all by my mouth, and they sounded really cool to boot!

Seriously, try it! <p>---------------

"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"</p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:04 pm

Erm... I see what you mean, but when I do it, it doesn't sound real when played back. I'd need to find a good beat-boxer or oral percussionist to make the noises. <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung</p>

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:15 pm

Call Michael Winslow. I'm sure he's not doing anything... <p>--------------------
ImageAnd remember kids, SMOKING IS WRONG...</p>

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:49 pm

No.

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:02 am

Just download .wav SFX or something. They ought to approximate what you're going for, even if they're not perfect. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:02 pm

>:

I still want to dig up stuff for this. It's just...I have stuff to do. You know.

This thread shall NOT be lost. >:| <p>
<center><small>"We are just poor, wandering corn farmers..."
</p>

StOrMxWiZ

Unread postby StOrMxWiZ » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:30 am

This is bumping the thread, but it's also bringing it back to attention.

I own a powerful developer-producer level music making program, and I have a library of TONS of worthless sound effects I use in my demented flash movies.

I could be of some help either, as I did some voice acting before. I can make a various amount of voices, like, a robot, elmo-like, demon-man, etc.

I hope we won't end up ditching this idea, because man, It's a good one. And if this one slips away, I'll...er...well,..um...I didn't really plan this out...but..uh...Nevermind. But I'll do something about it! <p>- - - - - - - -
StOrMxWiZ> I can make you download a virus.
FUMBLERme> I bet you can't.
StOrMxWiZ> I have the new version of that game you like so much
FUMBLERme> OOOOH!!! SEND IT! SEND! SENED! SEND!
[5 minute pause]
FUMBLERme> HEY!!!!!! >:()</p>

Return to Discussion Forum