What scares you? V.2

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Endesu
ラムレッダ

What scares you? V.2

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:36 am

Brought back from the mists of time, an old topic!

What is it that scares you? Fills you full of fear? Makes you overly nervous, anxious, and spasmodic? Is there a particular movie, game, or song out there that does it? A person, a place? Let's hear details! <p>

<span style="font-size:x-small;">Here's to absorbing in the new year!
</span></p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Re: What scares you? V.2

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:06 pm

Bees. I have some kind of unreasonable fear of bees. :{ I've been stung several times as a child. Arr.

Also, fursuiters. The big bobble headed people who think they're sexy confuse and disturb me. I can deal with the rest of the costume, but that big freaking head, with the weirdshiney plastic eyes... *shudder* For some reason school mascots that look kinda like that don't bug me. Likely because I know they're not as likely to be a 40 year old man whose thinking about violating me. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Jeridan the Red Nosed Garoujin, had a very shiny nose!<br />And if you ever saw it, you'd even say it glowed.<br />All of the other Garou, laughed and called him names!<br />And then poor Jeridan, lost his temper and blasted their brains!</div></p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:40 pm

Skin puncture. I read recently about the phenomena known as 'flesh pulls' and 'suspensions,' and I was bothered deeply. Similar stimuli include seeing or experiencing the use of hypodermic needles. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Choark

All that follows is the 100% truth

Unread postby Choark » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:48 pm

Dogs! Scare the shit outta me. Mostly when they bark or growl, any other time I'm alright around them. But by jove they scare me as soon as they look angry.

People dancing the same way. Any time where I see people doing the same dance moves as someone else - or a whole chain of them - scare the bejeezus outta me. Freaky shit. Don't know how anyone can stand it.

Heights! Including bridges, planes... though I love being up on a mountain. So I more of hate manmade heights, but natural heights I love. Even climbing up there... mostly. I do have a line though.

Two Giggerling Girls/female-teenagers/women Disturbing and always sends a chill down my spine. Who knows what they're laughing at? all I know is whatever it is there life has suddenly been made hell!

People who are scared of Moths or Butterflies I don't understand it and they freak me out!

War or even Americans with Guns Sorry but we're listing what I fear here so if ya insulted... ermm.. sorry: So I'll follow up with another fear People who believe Guns Solve Crime These people scare me. So if ya one.. You scare me! You truly do!

Death Is basically my one big time no holds barred fear over everything.

There a few fears of sorts! All 100% truthful!

---

editted cause overly big words scare children out of my basement <p><div style="text-align:center"> </div>
<div style="text-align:center"> Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center"> Something cute plots your death </div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=choark>Choark</A]&nbsp; Image at: 12/22/04 15:51

The Great Nevareh

Re: All that follows is the 100% truth

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:12 pm

Dogs frighten me. Even puppies. Yes, even your cute little golden retriever puppy frightens me, so don't bring it over here.

Silence scares the pants off of me. I don't like empty voids in the aural spectra. And when I say silence, I mean true-blue no-noise-anywhere-at-all not even an electronic hum or the sound of someone else breathing.

People in high concentrations that I have to wade through scare me. So long as I'm not part of that concentration, I'm perfectly fine. I love audiences. But having people pressing on me from every side gives me the heebie-jeebies.

AIDS and HIV are things I'm honestly scared of. I know the whole "play it safe and you'll be fine" idea, but it really scares me.

Failure is something that I have never been able to come to grips with. Pure, all-encompassing failure that lets down those who believe in you and proves that you aren't worth as much as you thought you were.

Pain with a capital "p." I'm not really afraid of scraping my knee, but ever since I have had a run-in with real, body-rending pain, I never want to again and I go out of my way to avoid it. This also is for other people, as seeing other people in this kind of pain reminds me of my own pain previously.

Success is something can't deal with. Whenever I succeed at something, I always expect something to go wrong. The sooner it goes wrong, the better. But when I pull something off without a hitch or without any repercussions, and especially when I haven't put hard work into it, my fear of the other shoe dropping grows and grows and grows until something bad happens so I can stop worrying, even if it has nothing to do with my previous success.

Responsibility that I can't walk away from scares me. To have something that I'm permanently attatched to and that I have to care for forever is something that I really, truly, and wholly fear. I can commit, just don't hold me responsible.

The Future scares me in that it is so filled with uncertainty, and it is far easier to predict the bad things that will happen no matter what than the good things that will happen if you try hard. I'm afraid of losing my parents, I'm afraid of being on my own, and I'm afraid of wasting my life.

There are probably others, but I can't think of them right now. <p>[---------------------------]
"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung

"I eat the talking bees because I am George Washington Christ"
-From "Bob the Ball"</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=thegreatnevareh>The] at: 12/24/04 17:52

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:01 pm

Tapeworms, because they're all gross-looking and have that evil eye thing on their heads. My biggest fear is having one crawl out of my mouth when I'm awake.

Mind-altering drugs, both illegal and prescribed. I'm extremely afraid of having the chemistry of my brain changed by the effects of a foreign agent. The only thing that's been constant for me my entire post-infant life is the way my brain works.

Experiencing brain surgery, namely the kind where you're awake when they're poking around in your opened skull figuring out what's what. Not only am I not comfortable with having my ability to form a coherent sentence (even in my mind) taken away even briefly, the thought of having my vulnerable gray matter exposed to all sorts of terrible things gives me the creeps. <p>__-__-__-__-__-__

"If a tree falls in the middle of a forest and no one's around to hear it, it was obviously the work of ninja."
-Darkknight

"Screw normal, because if you're normal, the crowd will accept you, but if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader."
-Christopher Titus</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:15 pm

Suffocation: I almost died once from having the wind knocked out of me at some sporting event thing back in grade school. Not being able to breathe is freaky shit. I mean, you do it all the time, it just seems natural; but then when you can't, it's like... someone flipped a switch in your body off and you can't figure out how to switch it back on, and you're forced to slowly experience your own demise, with the rest of your facilities intact but still unable to do anything about it. Very scary.

Delusional People: I'll admit, this one's kind of grey. Basically, a person who is "delusional" has convinced themselves that something they're doing is perfectly okay, when in fact it is horribly, horribly, horribly wrong. Good examples are fursuiters, pedophiles, that guy mentioned in End's "Dear Kogenta" thread, and to a lesser extent, people who support George W. Bush. I generally try to see both sides to any argument, so when something comes along that I simply cannot understand, it really bothers me. The really scary thing is that they're all human, just like me and everyone else I know. That and that there's just so damn many fucked up people in the world.

Rap Music: Remember when black people used to write beautiful songs about love instead of half-assed goth poetry about money, killin', and/or bitches? I do. What the Hell happened to that?

Spiders: They're totally awesome, but they're also really fucking creepy. I don't know what it is about them that bothers me, but even little spiders creep me out. And big ones? Oh God. Don't even go there. I guess this kind of goes into the "irrational fear" category.

Getting Lost: Hmm. Yea. I don't want to talk about it.

Rending Flesh: Okay, I wasn't sure exactly what to call this one. I mean, I don't have a problem with needles or tatoos or eyebrow rings or anything like that. What I do have a problem with is excessive skin pulling. There was this one guy on Ripley's Believe it or Not who basically clamped himself to some sort of lifting apparatus and was suspended by nothing more than the strength of his skin for who knows how long. I say "who knows" because I couldn't watch it. Yea. So, needless to say, someone getting their arm or a strap of flesh or something ripped off would probably make me weasy and/or queasy. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=brainwalker>BrainWalker</A]&nbsp; Image at: 12/22/04 19:16

TheLorax21

Unread postby TheLorax21 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:32 pm

The Dark - I'm dead serious. Not a kid anymore, and still terrified of the dark. I sleep with the lights on. You can laugh now.

Splinters - Bad childhood experiences with splinters have left me with a lingering fear of them. Fiberglass splinters are especially nasty.

Drowning/Suffocating - I've had asthma for most of my life and I've had more than a few severe attacks. Not being able to breathe scares me. A lot.

Bush Supporters - Not tyring to be political, or anything. Not trying to make a statement. But people who support Mr. Bush scare me, simply because they support him.

Death - I'm not really afraid of death, but I'm afraid of dying before my time. Dying before I've experienced all the things I want to experience.

Incurable Diseases - Scared of catching one, or dying of one. Just the idea of having something for the rest of my life scares me.

Scary Movies - I'm afraid of scary movies because they actually scare me, in a large way. This goes for scary books too. After I read Steven King's 'Salem's Lot, I wore a cross for an entire month.

Okay. I'm done. It's interesting to consider your fears. Thanks, End, for making me think. :)

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:59 pm

The Military Draft - Because it's something I have no control over that will eventually lead me to my death.

And that's really it. Monsters and stuff, if they are real, then that means that magic and stuff is real too, so I could just kamehameha their asses out the door or something.

I'm not afraid of murderers or rapists or anything, because I'm a big guy, and I feel pretty confident with my self-defense abilities.

I really can't think of anything else that scares me. Oh, wait! Pervy! Can't forget him. *cowers in fear* <p>---------------

"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"</p>

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:07 pm

I think I have the weirdest one of you all.

Hopping right angle curbs on a bike. I swear, the thing turns into a wall when I see it.

It stems from when I did it as a kid, wiped out, and was all alone to drag myself home. And who likes being alone?

But other than that... pretty fearless... <p>--------------------
ImageAnd remember kids, SMOKING IS WRONG...

Get in character you. it's rainy and twilightly and shit.

-Vampire Jester Jinx</p>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:28 pm

I think everyone in the history of ever knows my fears. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image
Why Barius has no Christmas</div></p>

Nick Shogun

Unread postby Nick Shogun » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:36 am

I'm writing this all down, for when I become EVIL DICTATOR and have to crush you all with a Dream-Machine that makes you live your worst fears. *manical cackle* <p>---

</p>

Will Rennar

Re: ...

Unread postby Will Rennar » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:58 pm

Sudden darkness. Whether it's someone shutting the lights off on me or the power in a building going dead or WHATEVER, I just hate those sudden moments where the light just goes "PUFF!" and vanishes.

Phone calls. Seriously. I lose my nerve every time I go to call someone. Even if I'm just wanting to get pizza.

Small social gatherings. If I'm gonna be hanging out with people, I want it to be with a LOT of people, at least 10, so that I can hopefully go unnoticed. Probably why I like conventions and malls so damned much.

Myself. ...Not gonna elaborate. <p>Will Rennar / Asura Calibre

The Rosetta Stone -- The Sketchpad -- Asura's Harem</p>

Lex

EGADS THE FEAR

Unread postby Lex » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:36 pm

Spiders: My god.......these scare the ever living hell out of me. If you want the story of how i gained this phobia, please IM for much amusement.

Losing Teeth:Seriously. THe thought of losing a tooth scares the hell out me. If i trip the first thing i think of is "ZOUNDS MY TEETH!"

Small spaces: I connect this oddly with spiders and go nutty.

Elevators: oh the painy death i imagine every time I enter one of these. I will walk up to 6 flights of stairs to avoid using an elevator.

Zombies: the very idea of living dead can keep me awake at night, stupid yes? SCARY AS HELL.

Skeletons: Would you believe it used to disturb me to no end that under my skin, apart of me, was a skeleton? This isn't so bad anymore.

Walking down dark streets alone: self explanitory.

Uncle Pervy

Re: EGADS THE FEAR

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:33 pm

One thing comes to mind quickly, and it's odd as hell.

There is a particular song; The Sounds of Silence, by Simon and Garfunkle; which always manages to disturb me at least a little. Just something about the lyrics and how it blends in with music. I actually like the song, but it also unnerves me. <p>-------------------------------------
Image</p>

Seethe347

Re: EGADS THE FEAR

Unread postby Seethe347 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:48 pm

The toilet after you flush it: That noise it makes while the tank is filling back up. It makes me think of the opening Gates of Hell. Since I was five years old, I've thought that there was some kind of monster that might jump out of the toilet whenever that noise stops and attack everyone who's on the same floor. This isn't anywhere near my worst fear, but it still seems worthy of mention.

Unsecured heights: I don't have any problem with heights by themselves. What bothers me is if there is nothing beyond my own strength to keep me from falling. Furthermore, the wind that one encounters at high altitudes where there is nothing to break it is my mortal enemy.

My soul: Similar to Lex's skeleton. There's a ghost inside my head. O_O

Jack Chick: Do I need to elaborate?

And finally

The Lethal Thought: This is a thought that can cause a person to die just by thinking it. I can't know that it doesn't exist. It's only natural that nobody would have ever reported thinking it, because they'd be dead. Also, I can't know how to avoid thinking it because it could be anything. The only way to know how to avoid it would be to know what it was, but the only way to know what it was would be to think it, and then I would be dead. Also, even if I never thought it, but someone else somehow managed to tell me what it was, then there would be no way I could avoid thinking it at least once. I don't want to talk about this anymore... <p>

"How fortunate for leaders that men do not think."
- Adolf Hitler

"To throw bombs from an airplane will do as much damage as throwing bags of flour. It will be my pleasure to stand on the bridge of any ship while it is attacked by airplanes."
- Newton Baker, US minister of defense (1921)
</p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Fear is the mindkiller.

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:33 pm

The Dark: Sounds stupid, eh? I have an extrememly powerful and extrememly overactive imagination. When it's dark, shapes that I know, such as my chair, a tea mug, a pile of clothes, whatever, suddenly morph into monsters and dangers. I scare myself in the end. After I watch a horror film I become obsessed with the thought that whatever I just saw is somewhere in my room, and that I just can't see it. My mind plays tricks on me and it just freaks me out.

No Afterlife: I'm not really scared of death. I'm not eager to die, and I'd be very upset if I did die, but as long as there's something afterwards I don't care. The thought that when it does happen that's it, game over, nothing else, is petrifying to me. I don't want to cease to exist.
<p>
How much for your wife? Or the little girls? I wish to buy your wife and family. How much?</p>

Zemyla

Re: Fear is the mindkiller.

Unread postby Zemyla » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:17 pm

Piers: I think this fear stems from a dream I had when I was really young about my sister falling off a pier. I'm fine with anything else over water (boats, beaches, etc.) but asking me to go out on a pier over the water will freak me out.

Losing my mental faculties: My mind is all I am. And if I lose that, will I be myself anymore? That scares me endlessly. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare</span>

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:30 pm

Mirrors at night or in the dark at all. Maybe I watched too many Poltergeist movies as a kid or did that 'Bloody Mary' thing one too many times.... but just the same.

Also, I'm convinced there are monsters under my bed. I kid you not. It's why I have a loft bed, so nothing can hide under there. <p>-------------------------
Wise man say, "forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

"Fat is a waste of meatspace."</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kai@rpgww60462>Kai</A] at: 12/30/04 16:34

Raishilliah

Unread postby Raishilliah » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:56 pm

Me? Eh, I've gotten over some of the major ones (like my laundry room, closets, the dark, monsters, any sort of space I can't see around, ghosts... and all of those I had until mid-this year). Some.

Those remaining...

Heights and going up in general: Specifically, I don't mind in the slightest as long as I have control over the heights. If I'm climbing that mountain, it doesn't bother me. But if I'm in a car, for example, it's terrifying. As for going up... Take me up a roller coaster and I'll attempt to strangle you until I start going down. I love going down and hate going up. Don't ask.

Men: No offense to the men in this thread meant. I'm... kind of afraid that they're going to molest me. Never mind who they are. There are very few males that I'm comfortable around.

There are a few minor other ones, like certain methods of making food, large open spaces, and time, but they aren't all that prominent usually.

*shrug* <p>

People don't go there anymore. It's too crowded.
-Yogi Bera
</p>

Reako Somner
Always sleepy, never asleep

Unread postby Reako Somner » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:22 pm

Small Flesh Eating Worms/Parasites/Insects The concept of something burrowing through flesh and LIVING there reaaaallly gives me the willies. I get really uneasy just hearing about it. It's hard for me to even type it here, I just hate these things ew ew EW.

Stinging Insects I have a large irrational fear of stinging insects. It's like a I just KNOW they're all out to get me kind of feeling. I've become less afraid of bees however, but I still hate Wasps, Hornets, and especially Scorpions. Scorpions have the habbit of refusing to die, thus making getting rid of them a fearful task for me, especially with that lightning quick poisonous tail. I don't like to stay in the fields of Texas for long. I also blame this fear on once tripping into a very large Fire Ant hill. If you know what fire ants are then... yeah.

Grues I dunno, pitch blackness scares me for this reason. That some nasty thing is just waitin to getcha. I'm fine if I am with other people, but all alone in a place with lots of crevaces will scare me. This fear started upon both hearing of Grues and travelling in Mammoth Cave when... a power outage occured. Now think about being stuck that far underground with no light, even for just 15 seconds. It's... eeeeeee.... watching Pitch Black didn't help things... but I'll get over this one in time.

Slums, Criminals I fear slums and lower end parts of town hardcore. I suppose this is quite rational, though. Maybe any of you would remember how fidgety I was when we ended up in downtown Baltimore.

Tornadoes There's quite a few ways a tornado can kill you, and that's part of the fear in it. The other is never knowing where one is going to touch down, and whether or not you can escape, as some are known to be quite fast, and eerily follow you. This fear is only ignited under extremely bad weather, I'm pretty calm otherwise.

Lastly it's already kind of known I am a slightly nervous reactive kind of guy, flinching to all kinds of things. I was never really physically attacked or anything.. I dunno, I guess I'm overcautious to the point of being paranoid sometimes. Pervy and Shini make me flinch the most, unpredictable bastards. :{

Return to Discussion Forum