Otakon 2005? Information I just checked out...

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

pd Rydia

Otakon 2005? Information I just checked out...

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:29 pm

http://www.otakon.com/

Place: Baltimore, Maryland
Dates: August 19-21, 2005
Price: $50 at the con. Pre-registration highly suggested (see below).

"For the first time in our existence, Otakon is announcing that we will cap our attendance. For Otakon 2005, we will limit our memberships to 22,000.

"This action is necessary primarily for reasons of safety and crowd control. We are approaching the physical limits of our space, which...raises the possibility that a cap will be ordered by either the BCC or city officials."

Also, preregistrations are now nonrefundable, and one-day passes will not be sold.

Info from http://www.otakon.com/news_article.asp?id=67.

I am not planning on going to Otakon, but we may be able to host the usual suspects in the new apartment down in Louisville (90 miles south of my current place of living). They will need to arrange their own transportation--it has been suggested to fly into Baltimore out of one of the local airports (Louisville, Lexington, Cincinnati, Dayton).

Personally, however, I might suggest finding smaller cons, in more agreeable locations, with better dates. <p>
<center><small>"We are just poor, wandering corn farmers..."
</p>

pd Rydia

Re: Otakon 2005? Information I just checked out...

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:54 pm

Ikasucon sounds rad, as it's nearby, and the timing is good. I won't be living here by the time it rolls around, but I can arrange for cheap lodging, sure.

As for other cons throughout the year, that people may or may not be interested in attending:

-=- Anime Central -- May 13-15, 2005; 4 hour drive from Louisville
-=- Anime Weekend Atlanta -- September 23-25, 2005; 7 hour drive from Louisville
-=- Middle Tennessee Anime Convention -- April 1-3; 3 hour drive from Louisville
-=- Katsucon -- February 18-20, 2005; about 30 min from Shini's <p>
</p>Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 11/24/04 11:57 am

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:09 pm

Otakon is a really huge, really expensive, really stressful undertaking, and it's not really all that worth it as far as I'm concerned. I maintain that conventions are more about RPGWW than Anime for me, and that is my primary motivation for attendance. I prefer Sugoicon to Otakon in nearly every respect, but the problem is that foreigners have a harder time getting to Sugoicon than they do Otakon, and foreigners are pretty cool.

Alex and I made a pledge to kick Otakon's ass in '05 after the series of massive failings that occurred at Otakon '04, but I'm not sure I even want to go at this point. I probably won't if Shan, Cho, Jak, Amanda, Lex, Gus, Dan, and/or some combination thereof aren't gonna be in attendance. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:15 pm

Otakon appeals to me because it's in the summer. The first time I visited for Sugoicon was when I wasn't at uni and I had a lovely 2 week half-term break at the time. Since uni doesn't have one of those Otakon became the only option.

Should there be another con which occurs during my holiday months, though, I'd prefer that over Otakon. Really, it is all about the people I see rather than the con itself, although the latter is a nifty bonus.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:25 pm

As for cons closer to around here, there's a con in Cincinnati called Ikasucon in July, I just found out. I'm not sure about how large or groovy it is--it's only on its third year, as Sugoicon was when we first attended.

There's another in Columbus in January (Ohayocon 5--1 hour, 10 min drive from Dayton), and another in Cleveland in June (ColossalCon 4-- about a 3 and a half hour drive from Dayton). <p>
</p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:29 pm

Ikasucon works well for me. The other ones, sadly, don't, although ColossalCon might work for me in 2006, depending on when my summer exams finish up.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:24 pm

Cheap lodging = what you all did for Sugoicon, right?

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:43 pm

Won't work, I can't rent those apartments when we aren't living there.

I can, however, get some rooms at the Travelodge down the road. They're ass, but they're priced accordingly. I also may be able to shop around for other hotels which are not quite so crappy, perhaps availing of http://www.travelcoupons.com. <p>
</p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:00 am

Would this be for the con days, or the entire holiday of anyone who flew out there?

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:34 am

Dear Dia:

That NoBrand Con or whatever...Is apparantly in Wisconson.

I am not. :(

I think there may have been a mix up between that and Katsucon, which is in Arlington, which you asked me about earlier! <p>
<div style="text-align:center">What's wrong with this ring?!</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=shinigoriv2>Shinigori]&nbsp; Image at: 11/24/04 3:36 am

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:13 am

Sugoicon would indeed be out of the question, as it happens far too close to midterms for my tastes. Not that I'll necessarily get to go to any others, but stuff in the summer = better chances of me being there. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>This month's "Transformer of the Month" is Cyclonus! He turns into a severely evil looking jet thing, and his primary function is badassery.</center></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:56 pm

I totally got that location off another website, was my problem. :(

Also, as for lodging, that would be for con days. During the whole trip, it'd be more likely that you'd be just staying at the normal apartment/house/cardboard box where we'd be living at the time, in Louisville. <p>
</p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:27 pm

Would we be sharing the cardboard box with Dr Hobo?

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:40 pm

Only if we can't beat him away with the Corn Sign. <p>
</p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:49 pm

Which depends entirely on whether the educated strain of hobo is weak vs corn elemental or not.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:26 pm

Origins, dammit! Origins, I say!! <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:53 am

If Priam is talking about a convention of some sort, he needs to link that shit.

Y'know, cause I'm too lazy to do a google search. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>This month's "Transformer of the Month" is Cyclonus! He turns into a severely evil looking jet thing, and his primary function is badassery.</center></p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:34 am

www.originsgames.com/ <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Shiranai

Unread postby Shiranai » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:34 am

I'd be all for Ohayocon, primarily because a friend of mine from Michigan is going and was keen on meeting me there. This was before I found out it was in January, not July. <p>
Image</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:17 am

Origins sound fuckin' rad. o_o It really does. <p>
</p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:38 pm

That's where they auctioned off/door prized those two sets of dice made from the Edmond meteor a couple years back.

Not that this is terribly relevant now, but I felt like saying it.

Origins : games :: ____con : anime <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:35 am

Holy Shit, I'd totally be up for Origins or some of the ones during the summer, if I have enough money to make it down and such. Guess I'm working early this year to save up for cons. Especially Origins, since that'd be fucking bad assed.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:43 am

Sadly, I can't make this. And only by a day, too. Term ends for me the day after this starts. :(

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:23 am

I would like to go to both Ikasucon and Origins, if I can pull it off--they might be right next to each other, but it sounds like the size of eacg is going to be significant, providing a completely different experience.

Also, I've been plotting recently about moving up to Dayton--if I can finagle a roommate, I can afford it. *sly look Neb's way, nod* <p>
</p>

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:05 pm

Middle Tennessee Anime Convention is a possibility for me...
You know, with living in Tennessee and all. >_>

Ikasucon? I mist have missed the tidbit of information on that one. o_O; Where and when is that?
<p><div style="text-align:center">
</div></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:10 pm

Cincinnati, July 15-17th. http://www.ikasucon.org/ <p>
</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:34 pm

That Origins site needs to be less under construction, and more over it. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:20 pm

Well, it's going to be in Columbus, if that helps. <p>
</p>

Celeste of Elvenhame

Unread postby Celeste of Elvenhame » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:23 pm

*wonders what sane person chooses to move to the hellhole that is dayton* <p>---------------Celeste of Elvenhame ---------------

Aaron Lewis of Guildportal: On the up side though, most of the remaining bugs are genuinely evil, sentient beings that actively dodge attempts to thwart them.</p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:56 am

Dayton isn't all that bad. It's good sized, the weather actually changes so we get a little bit of everything, we have a great amusement park (King's Island) nearby, a couple rather decent colleges, two excellent malls (and a third if you drive a little ways), and Columbus and Cincy aren't very far. The people are usually pretty sane (by and large), and we have some very unique things: HAMvention (brought by DARA, the largest HAM radio organization in the world), the Dayton Air Show, and others.

Dayton ain't a bad place. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:36 am

It's no Chicago, but then again, it's no Baltimore either. Wether or not it's a good city, I'm pretty sure that at the least, it's not a Hellhole. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Celeste of Elvenhame

Unread postby Celeste of Elvenhame » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:53 am

honestly I think I'd like living in the the cincinnati suburbs better. Dayton really does not impress me all that much, to be honest it hasn't for a long time. Then again I've spent a good deal of my life traveling to various cities so perhaps those trips have caused me to be disenchanted with this place. Also, Ohio winters suck big hairy donkey balls. If it would do something besides rain and be dreary for 5 or so months a year I'd be a whole lot less annoyed with living here. <p>---------------Celeste of Elvenhame ---------------

Aaron Lewis of Guildportal: On the up side though, most of the remaining bugs are genuinely evil, sentient beings that actively dodge attempts to thwart them.</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:10 pm

Well, yea. Cincinnati is a groovier place than Dayton, that's for sure. It's also a lot bigger, and the cost of living is probably a little higher, but oh well. I don't think Dayton is really trying all that hard to impress anyone... it's kind of like an average Joe of a city. A decent, friendly enough guy who's sorta groovy in his own way with a few unique outstanding talents and flaws, but not incredibly noteworthy overall. A lot like most Dayton-sized cities. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:14 pm

Well, Celeste, you could have--you know--actually asked, instead of posting what you did, but hey, you didn't! So that's the end of that discussion, in that you won't get an explanation out of me.

Also, if you want to discuss how wonderful or horrible Dayton is compared to other cities, I suggest taking it to another thread, AIM, or elsewhere. <p>
</p>

Celeste of Elvenhame

Unread postby Celeste of Elvenhame » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:47 pm

*shrugs* <p>---------------Celeste of Elvenhame ---------------

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:59 pm

Unfortunately, Ikasucon is right around the time when my grandparents are taking me to Alaska, so I'm not going to be seeing any RPGWWers except possibly FlamingDeth. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion</span>

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:33 pm

Blah. What time do you get back? Maybe you can make next years Sugoicon (Novemberish, likely)? <p>
</p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:42 pm

More like, where in Alaska are you going to go? That's the important information, you know.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=flamingdeth>FlamingDeth</A] at: 12/1/04 5:48 pm

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:03 pm

But Alaska is so small! :o <p>
</p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:37 pm

Our initernary is flexible, but since we are taking a ferry, we are staying near to the coast. What city do you inhabit? <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion</span>

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

Next

Return to Discussion Forum