Sugoicon 2004

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

pd Rydia

Sugoicon 2004

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:32 pm

Ah, Sugoicon. The convention. The tradition. The thing.

The annual excuse for RPGWWers to get together, watch movies and anime, play cards, yell, bite, headbutt, buy things, eat pocky, and spread the love of corn.

Things started this year around 5:30-ish in the morning when my Mom and I got up and went to pick up Chris from the Greyhound bus station at 6. We eat on the way back, and when we get home I check my IMs. I find out through a message Pervy left that he had waited 12 or more hours at the Dayton airport for Catie (Nebula) to show up--having neglected to get the flight details from her. He was *slightly* upset. Well, we call around with security and whatnot, but forget that she is, in fact, 18, so they will not release any information to us when we honestly say that we believe she is 17.

Meanwhile, we look at the message board a bit later and find the message from her mom. Oh, she was sent to the Cincy airport, I thought. (I wonder who paid for that flight?) Well, no matter, by this time I was almost time to pick up Will (Czxaqcke) from the airport, so we head off. Mom drops Chris and I off to wait on Catie (as we don't run into her immediately, Chris goes with Mom to pick up Will at the Greyhound station and I stay behind for Catie). Then, Catie appears!

Turns out, she flew into Cincinnati in the *first place*, then went to the Greyhound bus station about 10 minutes after Chris and I left, then went to the con and waited there for us for a while. Yeah. So once that all got sorted out, the lot of us went back to the rented apartment, some of us crashed, and waited on the Daytoners. I tried to stay up, but wound up sleeping, and as I didn't wake up when people apparently tried to wake me up, we got a late start on Friday afternoon. TO SUGOICON! <small>(On fire).</small>

There we met up with the Dougster, and all mostly split up and did our things. Mike showed up in at around 9 pm, and Brian and Ashley showed up at the apartment late in the evening (too late for the con that night). (Friday, the corn sign was photographed at least 4 times while I was holding it, the first time 5 minutes after I got my badge. Almost all of my corn was gone within half an hour).

When we all got back to the apartment that night, I forced everyone to watch the most awesomest of movies, Johnny Dangerously, and then promptly went home to crash. Thus, I could not say much of what happened that night (or the next night, as I didn't even attempt to stay up late).

Saturday saw us at the con much earlier, and it's somewhat blurring in my mind with Sunday, the short day. I remember trading a can of corn for some art on one of these days, which will be seen below, being accosted for the story of the corn sign on many occassions, being asked for cans of corn, being hailed with "Corn!"

AND NOW, for pictures. All were taken on one of those cheap disposable cameras--let this be a lesson to us to never rely on those again.

Hobbes with the corn sign.

Group shot!

Because it's absolutely necessary to take crappy photos of stupid objects.

It's the navy man himself! Will!

It's the pastamancer, Pervy?

It's the Pervymancer again.

The hats, man--the hats!

It's a rolling photograph of Catie. No, really.

Random people.

Moving right along!

This, kids, is why you don't do drugs.

THE HAT. THE HAT!

Brian always looks like this in photos. Let's keep up the tradition.

I have no idea what I was looking at. I'm not even sure I'm looking at what Catie was pointing at.

Chris, with RED GLOWY EYES!

The group, again!

Brian, Ashley, and the goonsquad.

The group...again again!

It's totally my name badge. Totally. Yeah.

Lootariffic!

Artwork getting it's own post for awesomeness. :o <p>
<center><small>"We are just poor, wandering corn farmers..."
</p>Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 12/1/04 11:53 pm

pd Rydia

Re: Sugoicon 2004

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:37 pm

(Click for fullsize). I totally got this for a can of corn. All I said was "anything involving corn." The artist is Lynzie Hennies. I might do a coloring contest with this, if people are interested. >.> <.<

(Click for fullsize). And this I actually paid for. I'm told I look totally serious about the corn sign. I do not disapprove. :D Artist is Sean Poppe. <p>
</p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:39 pm

YAY!! Lots of awsome info on what going on! and pictures!!

HAT HAT!!! HAT!! <p><div style="text-align:center"> </div>
<div style="text-align:center"> Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center"> Something cute plots your death </div></p>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:25 pm

Never doubt my ability to take a horrible picture of someone. Seriously, I'll fuck you up, man. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">What's wrong with this ring?!</div></p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:26 pm

I am totally pwn3d, equally by the "I like pi" button and the d10 earrings. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:29 pm

Awsome Pictures!! <p><div style="text-align:center"> </div>

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:06 pm

:O
I like these because i'm a biased bitch ._. <p><div style="text-align:center">
</div></p>

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:00 pm

COMISSIONED ART RUSH

I forgot who did that :(

[url=http&#58;//zeke&#46;tzo&#46;com/rpgww/meets/2004-11_sugoicon/chris_commissionfrom-danhess-ofangelmoxie&#46;jpg]Image

Neko-Neb Tareen, as done by Dan of Angel Moxie.

Report to come when I get home tomorrow :O

[edit] Minus 20 points from Griffindor for usage of ezcodes. :( -Dia - <p>
<div style="text-align:center">What's wrong with this ring?!</div></p>Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 12/1/04 10:33 pm

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:27 pm

Anyway, my sugoi con experience involved Catie's fuzzy navel wine coolers, hobos, the warm gutter, and a great deal of mystery. I woke up this morning on Dia's porch without pants hugging an empty bottle of cheap wine.

Damnit, I promised myself this wouldn't happen again :(. <p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:31 pm

Hey, matey. What's the word? :D

And you better all still be around when I next get over there. And there will be corn. And a hat of at least equal awesomeness of that nautical thingy.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:37 pm

Jak, you fucking bastard. You promised me a buggering. Where's my buggering? <p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:21 pm

There's only one answers I can offer here, given your recent posts in this thread.

Shiranai

Unread postby Shiranai » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:25 am

So who saw me there as well? I was hidden amongst the shadows for security. And to make sure Mario didn't take the wrong pipe. We have our secrets you know! <p>
Image</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:38 am

I need to fix the crappier of those photos. Or remember to bring a camera next time.

Also!

Best box of Pocky I ever spent. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:03 am

Why won't you accept my love, Jak? Why? GODDAMNIT WHY?

It's because of the midgets, isn't it? <p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:14 am

My god...

BW...

That picture is awsome!

Plus I love the comic that dude (well I assume its a dude without ever actually reading into it) does. Awsome stuff! <p><div style="text-align:center"> </div>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:09 pm

Firstly I have to agree with Choark completely, totally and utterly with regards to that picture.

Secondly, damnit Shini, I told you not to bring your colleagues home :(

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:21 pm

Behold! Darker lines, whiter whites! <p>
</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:20 pm

ALSO ALSO!

The Corn Sign is gathering more and more notoriety at Sugoicon with each passing year. I was accosted a great deal especially on Saturday by persons wishing to take my photograph--not five minutes after getting my badge, in fact, I was asked for the story and my picture was taken. I'd say, all in all, somewhere between 7 and 10 pictures were taken of the corn sign and I. Many people recognized the sign from previous years...I mean, this is the third year. Also, almost all of my 18 cans of corn were gone before Sunday. People were varyingly surprised, amused, scared, and elated that I had corn with me. :D

Also, a good number of people didn't even *question* the fact that I carried a corn sign. They simply raised their fist and yelled a hearty "CORN!" at me, to which I responded in kind.

Sugoicon improved in many ways this year. The artists' gallery seemed to have many more tables worth browsing, so much that I actually was tempted to spend a goodly portion of my money there. Also, the staff finally correctly estimated the number of gamers and made accomadations accordingly--that is to say, you could move in the gaming room. The DDR room was also nice and large, and they also had a second set of pads with the screen projected largely onto the wall. Much grooviness.

I got to enjoy watching Mike play some Magic: the Gathering with unhinged cards in the ccg room and wander around watching various anime in the video rooms (I've always found Sugoicon's anime rooms better than Otakon's, mainly due to the fact that they choose better anime ;;>>). Saw some Azumanga Daioh and some very good AMVs (When Chibi Things Kill!), amongst others.

Can't say much about panels, as I tend not to go to those. Cosplay was surprisingly meh this year, but not nearly so bad as fansview would have you believe...fansview's pictures of Sugoicon this year are effin' scary. And I didn't see a picture of either Pervy or his sister. :( The dealer's room this year was actually something of a disappointment in one sense (mucho restrictions were imposed on dealers regarding Japanese snacks, the selection of plushies and other miscellanea didn't really catch me), but on the other hand, I found a great deal of CDs and Slayers merchandise that made me squee. Squee! Cannot say I was disappointed.

And of course, Catie and I had some threeways with Chris and Will.

With mo' cheese.

It's tradition! <p>
</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:49 pm

Just so everyone knows, I'm alive. Surviving the trip to and from Michigan is a good thing, though I almost ran out of gas and my parents had to send me money so I could get myself home, as I did a whole lot more driving than I had intended to do this weekend, mostly due to the whole double trips to and from the con. Of course, most of those were unnecessary and due to poor communication, which was as much my fault as anyone else's...

Anyway, great weekend, and if nothing else, I slept in an extraordinarily comfortable bed. Didn't buy much, though I am proud to be responsible for the hat Ashley/Kai's wearing in all those photos. *grins* Picked up a Hellsing shotglass, though, which is neat.

Blargh. Tired from driving. Must collapse on bed or something. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=archmage144>Archmage144</A]&nbsp; Image at: 11/23/04 8:59 pm

Will Rennar

Unread postby Will Rennar » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:31 pm

Hoo boy, let's see what all I can scrounge together from the shattered mess that is my post-15-hour-bus-ride brain...

--Got totally jacked at the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament. The previous day, 3 people WORKING the damn thing AND the sign out front had said that the tournament was going to be draft-style...you know, get tossed a random sorting of packs, pop 'em open, forge a deck from what's within. As such, I decided to travel light that day and not take my decks with me, just the spare cards I intended to trade with.
So, naturally, the bit about it being a draft tourney turns out to be complete BS, as I find out when I get registered TWO MINUTES before the tournament starts. So what do I do? Rifle through the can of cards in my hand and slap together as good a deck as I could.

Naturally, I came in dead last, never even gaining the upper hand in a single match. First three and last opponents creamed me, and #4......well, he was running an Exodia deck, so those who know what THAT does (It's an instant win monster for those who don't...get the five pieces in your hand, YOU WIN.) can guess how THAT worked.

However, getting a Lodoss War soundtrack & autographed rare card (even if it was one I already had 8 of) wasn't too bad, and if nothing else they compensated my entry fee with a booster pack...which held nothing new either.

ANYWAY!

I also got to be best ninja at AM and Ashley's "wedding". I say "best ninja" as opposed to "best man" simply because, despite the fact that I was there AND mentioned that I wanted them to hold on for a sec so I could run into the dealer's room and grab a ring (which I then remembered I couldn't afford since I'm flat broke now...typical post-con problem.), neither one of them apparently realized it! Holy Xaqinobi, Batman!

What else, what else......

Oh yeah. Found out that while I STILL suck at fighter games (and still have a ridiculously short fuse when it comes to them), I can still stomp a good case of ass on Metroid Prime 2's multiplayer mode. *loooooooves his Death Ball attack..*

.....That's about it from what I can recall.

<p>Will Rennar / Asura Calibre

The Rosetta Stone -- The Sketchpad -- Asura's Harem</p>

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:59 pm

Yes. Brian provided my Majin Hat of Justice.
I have to say that being married by Wolfwood was probably the peak of my weekend. I don't know whom to call my hero, Wolfwood or the random guy next to me with the makeshift chain mail wedding ring. <p>-------------------------
Wise man say, "forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

"Fat is a waste of meatspace."</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:44 pm

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:34 pm

-_-' Sorry. I assumed people knew.
*smacks self* That's what I get for assuming things. <p>-------------------------

"Fat is a waste of meatspace."</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kai@rpgww60462>Kai</A] at: 11/27/04 10:35 pm

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:54 pm

So THAT'S who the bloody hell Kai is.

People need to tell me these things. With Gravies. <p>-------------------------------------
Image</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:00 am

I think this problem can be solved by making a picture of The Hat as your avatar. Possibly with you in it. =0 <p>
</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:18 am

We still love you. Kai. With Gravies! <p>-------------------------------------
Image</p>

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:10 am

Will the hat include gravy? <p>

*Megaman sounds like a little girl*-Uncle Pervy, on the Voice Acting in MM8

"Well, we've made it to Leeds without being robbed or violated. We win at time traveling!" - Shelley, Scary-Go-Round</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:04 pm

Mmm, gravy hat. <p>
</p>

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:03 pm

While gravy in general is something I approve of, I don't know that the gravy hat thing would work. I'll give it a try and let you guys know how it goes.

As for the avatar idea.... I may have to do that when I get a moment. Hm... wielding the power of the Hat every time I post.... very tempting.... <p>-------------------------

"Fat is a waste of meatspace."</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kai@rpgww60462>Kai</A] at: 11/30/04 10:04 pm

Return to Discussion Forum