Regarding Saddam Hussein

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

GC130A

Regarding Saddam Hussein

Unread postby GC130A » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:28 am

There was a massive hullabaloo over his capture, and then he disappeared completely from the news reports. So, to anyone whose knowledge is greater than mine:

What ever happened to the guy?

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Re: Regarding Saddam Hussein

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:50 am

He turned into Santa Claus, and Christmas came back.

...shit, this isn't the spam forum.

I dunno, honestly. I saw him in some newspaper article recently, but I did not stop and read it. So there *is* news about him, and judging from the pictures alone he's being interrogated/interviewed, so, whatever. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:55 am

It's simple: The elections are coming up, so both sides are so busy mud slinging one another that the Media has no time for Hussein.

In other words, now that we have him, no one gives a fuck. Nothing special, just another <s>taxi driver</s> <s>towel head</s> war criminal. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Cute and fuzzy with sharp pointy sticks!</div></p>

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:37 pm

The last I heard, they were prepping him for trial.

It's not that no one cares. It's just that things can't be that exciting. Do you REALLY want to hear the tiny little particulars of his trip through the Iraqi justice system? I know I don't... <p>--------------------
Image I HAVE FURY!</p>

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:27 pm

From an article I recall reading...

He was put on trial, without a lawyer. He was quite defiant and made some remarks about how the trial was "A theatre" and how "Bush is the real criminal".

From what it sounds like, he was/is being treated rather inhumanely.

Not going to say if I think it's justified, or anything, though.

I'll try to locate that article sometime.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:39 pm

They're still working on evidence as I understand it.
Having some trouble. Can't exactly prove to a judge that something is true "because it just is!"

Slow progress in unearthing evidence for Saddam's trial
UN unhappy with Saddam trial; refuses help to US

I don't know. There really isn't all that much out there at this point. Basically, we don't have much evidence and we've pissed off the UN again. *attempts to feign shock*

Edited by: Kai at: 10/28/04 2:39 pm

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:57 am

That's one of the things I hate most about Bush right now. The entire world was giving him the most support America's ever gotten after the 9/11 incident, and he squandered it. Three years later, EVERYBODY HATES US. <p>-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

"If a tree falls in the middle of a forest and no one's around to hear it, it was obviously the work of ninja."
-Darkknight

"Two men entered, and...both men left, but not before talking for ninety minutes."
-Stephen Colbert, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, on the first presidential debate.</p>

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:23 pm

How is that outcome any different than before? <p>---
My head moves around inside the bag, it's not like I'm drinking through my actual eye socket.</p>

deus751

Unread postby deus751 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:00 am

Yeah i'm not happy about that. How the world hates us I mean. From how i see it, this war is just another bussiness deal for Bush. The situation with the world has been getting worse and worse, now he is back in for another four years. Is anyone else worried here? I don't know about anyone else reading this but I am in the military and I don't want to be fighting a war that is just some back side bussniss deal or that is tarnishing this countries name. I don't like leaving my home and this war is making it hard for me to stay in the states. I would like it to be for a good cause.

As for Sadam I haven't heard a thing. Who knows what is going on with him.

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:36 am

Thank you for suscribing to one of the more popular viewpoints.

"Everyone" doesn't "hate" us. Some of the leaders of the world are slightly displeased with what the present administration has done, but they don't "Hate" us. They aren't closing their borders, they aren't declaring tariffs or boycotts of American goods, they aren't insisting that we withdraw from bases in THEIR countries, they aren't ceasing trade, they aren't mobilizing for war with us (and if it were us versus the world, the world would win by default since we're too hooked on the international system to remain happy campers if we were disconnected from it) and there isn't any popular support in other countries FOR these actions (aside from the far-right hardliners).
India and Pakistan "hate" eachother.

The Conservative Media isn't the only side that blows things out of proportion. If you were to take everything the way "This Modern World" and other witty, topical, and skillfully made political cartoons see it, we'd be on our way to armageddon.

Saddam Hussein is currently in jail. Where, the public isn't allowed to know (Entirely constitutional from every viewpoint-
Hussein isn't an American citizen, so he doesn't get rights). What his conditions are are most likely lavish compared to normal prisons since Saddam Hussein can't be given anything aside from captivity to complain about. If they are harsh on him in any way before a trial is completed, it won't help their cause. He's actually probably being treated as well as a captured monarch was treated in Rome: Not as well as they would be in thier previous social position, but still better than most commoners. They remained in a position such as that right up until they were executed. <p>[---------------------------]
"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung

"I eat the talking bees because I am George Washington Christ"
-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

deus751

Unread postby deus751 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:28 am

I'm sorry but i must correct you on one notion. We are being kicked out of one country in the middle east. by one of our more friendly countries, Saudi Arabia. We used to deploy there but no more. Now we use an air base in Bahrain.
maybe not everybody but alot more than there should be in my opinion are looking down? on us? I still think there is quite a community that hate us yet on a political level it is a dislike. No there arn't tariffs or boycotting. But that doesn't mean that many of the local population strongly dislike us or many of the countries that are not involved look down on what we are doing. I hope that the situation shapes up for the better.

Elementalist Daien

Unread postby Elementalist Daien » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:42 am

... Hmph.

If America were less influent, they may well do what above was mentioned.

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:29 pm

Agh, this entire leftist spiel is really too much for me. Correct your own misunderstanding caused by only trusting sources of knowledge that agree with you and you might find that the world isn't quite the same place as you are led to believe.

I'm not a conservative- I like to think of myself as a centrist, but that would be saying that I have as much right bent as left, so I HAVE to call myself liberal, even if I don't like the connotation of being affiliated with a group or school of thought. I used to think I was "free thinking" when I just did what my fellows did and thought what I was supposed to think, when eventually I realized that BOTH sides of the argument essentially do the same thing to influence other parties, and all the influenced don't see that they're being influenced but easily see how those who disagree with them are influenced.

You all have to realize that your own opinions are NOT shared by your respective populaces, just as mine isn't in my populace. The reasoning here is that if you DID suscribe to general thought or if you DID believe what others believe, you would consider the entire point of this board to be a waste of time and go work or play football or something. It takes a special view of the world to appreciate any form of art, and that view is what gives you your own opinions.

As to the base in Saudi Arabia, the Saudi fundamentalist movement as well as other people of the Islamic world have been protesting a presence there for years. That's nothing new, considering how iffy the U.S. having a base there to begin with is- or anywhere else, for that matter. They aren't stopping American tourists, they aren't expunging American businesspeople, and they are still selling Oil to the western world- quite a half-assed kicking-out job.

This is incendiary, I guess. But looking at the right and blaming everything on them is just... ignorant. Thinking that power politics are all there is to the world no longer floats- The European Union is the ANTITHESIS of power politics (which dictate that Europe, post-Cold-War, ought to have returned to the mess it was at the beginning of the 20th century with no aggressive, military enemy power to hold it together.)

Just... Look, the undercurrents of hatred aren't there. There aren't many demonstrations in front of U.S. Embassies, there aren't boycotts of American goods, and there aren't any mainstream voices screaming for Americans to get out.

This post makes no sense. Viva la poor organizational thought structure!

That, and Daien, you don't want to live in a Malta with absolutely no American goods. <p>[---------------------------]
"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung

"I eat the talking bees because I am George Washington Christ"
-From "Bob the Ball"</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=thegreatnevareh>The] at: 12/1/04 3:39 pm

Return to Discussion Forum