Back again from the void

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

GameStar7

Back again from the void

Unread postby GameStar7 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:55 pm

Yup, I'm not sure if you all remember or care, but I once said a while ago that I'd be checking around here from time to time. Unfortunate life caught up with me and I had to disconnect the internet. Now I got it back, and maybe this time can keep it longer than the blink of an eye.

Not sure how this will be responded too, but I figure I owe you all at least an update. Mmhmm, well now I'm going to go and look for things that spark my interest. <p>-------------------------------------------------------------
I keep telling myself that I'm lying to myself. But if I can't trust myself, can I trust that I'm lying to myself? What if the only lie is the part of me saying it's a lie? I can't tell, so confused... I guess I'm meant to be alone in the mirror...</p>

Nekogami

Re: Back again from the void

Unread postby Nekogami » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:03 pm

You lost your nifty icon, dude. This saddens me. I gotta find that picture and save it. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">
Nekogami Character Pantheon--Deviant Art Gallery--LiveJournal</div>
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">Words to live by:
OMG PRIAM: ninja sex would be neither felt nor seen by either partner
OMG PRIAM: each would just suddenly need a smoke
Choark: Good luck there. You'll have to shit out darkness and send people into oblivion.</span></p>

Celeste of Elvenhame

Unread postby Celeste of Elvenhame » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:24 pm

don't you ever give up?
<p>---------------Celeste of Elvenhame ---------------

Aaron Lewis of Guildportal: On the up side though, most of the remaining bugs are genuinely evil, sentient beings that actively dodge attempts to thwart them.</p>

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

But I thought we killed you.

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:46 pm

Oh well. Try and try again. <p>"I didn't want to crush Moyle. I didn't have to. He was so spineless, gravity did it for me." - David McPhale, as Rob Muldoon</p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Re: But I thought we killed you.

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:32 am

PriamVision doesn't work anymore ;_; <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

GameStar7

Re: This moogle has more lives than a house full of cats

Unread postby GameStar7 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:59 am

Quote:
You lost your nifty icon, dude. This saddens me. I gotta find that picture and save it.

Ahhh, you seem to be right... well I guess I'll have to try and get me another one. Crappy, been gone too long it seems.

And I'm glad that I'm not welcomed by a leaching party, lifts the spirits. I was thinking I'd show you all some of my attempts at Photoshop and maybe an RP or two or three if anyones interested. Still not sure though, I wonder if I got the time? Any new RP's starting up? <p>-------------------------------------------------------------
I keep telling myself that I'm lying to myself. But if I can't trust myself, can I trust that I'm lying to myself? What if the only lie is the part of me saying it's a lie? I can't tell, so confused... I guess I'm meant to be alone in the mirror...</p>

GameStar7

Unread postby GameStar7 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:12 pm

Alrighty, got all that taken care of. I have a question though, where'd the introduction forum go? I was going to post there, but it seems to have gotten deleted. Why? Was there too much flaming?

Oh, and anyone that might be curious about anything be sure to ask. If ya want to see some pics I did I think I can scare up some links for ya'll too. <p>-------------------------------------------------------------

Celeste of Elvenhame

Unread postby Celeste of Elvenhame » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:41 am

THe lynching party however is here and ready. I think we ordered one to stand at ready after Priam Vision stopped working.
<p>---------------Celeste of Elvenhame ---------------

Aaron Lewis of Guildportal: On the up side though, most of the remaining bugs are genuinely evil, sentient beings that actively dodge attempts to thwart them.</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:10 pm

Well, I'm sure he didn't come back for the warm welcome. >.>

Anyway, a couple things:
Quote:
Was there too much flaming?
Yep.
Quote:
... I'm glad that I'm not welcomed by a leaching party...
It's "lynching" party, actually. I'm sure Pervy could give you a detailed account of the historical significance behind that terminology. I was gonna, but I'm lazy. Also: You weren't?
Quote:
Any new RP's starting up?
Questions reguarding RPs should probably be posted in the RP forums. Specifically, the OOC one.

A word of advice: Grammar may or may not be your buddy, but more importantly, grammar is our buddy. We all kinda respect and look up to it. Well, most of us, anyway. You might wanna try to get to know it a little better. Nothing like a little networking to get your foot in the door, ya know?

Aaaand finally, some pet peeves of mine:
Quote:
some pics I did
Could you perhaps be more vague? Image

I fucking hate this kind of thing. This phrase doesn't really tell the audience anything. There are many different kinds of "pics", and many different things one can do with, for, and/or to them. I can't be certain whether you're talking about painting, drawing, photography, pictures of you, or just augmenting something in PhotoShop, or something else altogether. The only context in the thread is "my attempts at Photoshop," which is also kinda vague, given the myriad creative possibilities of that software. It's kinda sketchy forming assumptions based on vague context.

Forums are not chat rooms. The action isn't very fast-paced. You've got plenty of time to look over your posts before you post them, and plenty of tools to help you do that. I'd advise you make such an effort. If you don't put forth much effort posting, you can't really expect us to put forth any more effort than you did into caring about them. That's fairly logical, I should think.

Unless you're posting in the spam forum, of course. In which case you don't have to be logical if you're funny. Funny to other people, not just yourself. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=brainwalker>BrainWalker</A]&nbsp; Image at: 7/4/04 10:32 pm

GameStar7

Unread postby GameStar7 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:17 am

Yup, I figured out the "propa" spelling for "leaching party" too late when I was reading something else. But eh... it was late when I replied and I didn't expect anyone to care, as they could figure out what I meant without difficulty. But nope, I wasn't lynched, and if I was it must have been subtle enough for me not to notice.

Alrighty then, I might mention it in the OOC area then. I figured that a reintroduction post should be a safe enough place to ask, once again I figured wrong. And my grammar is just fine I think; please go hound someone else about perfect grammar. Not everyone can be an English teacher ya know.

Quote:
Could you perhaps be more vague?

I fucking hate this kind of thing. This phrase doesn't really tell the audience anything. There are many different kinds of "pics", and many different things one can do with, for, and/or to them. I can't be certain whether you're talking about painting, drawing, photography, pictures of you, or just augmenting something in PhotoShop, or something else altogether. The only context in the thread is "my attempts at Photoshop," which is also kinda vague, given the myriad creative possibilities of that software. It's kinda sketchy forming assumptions based on vague context.

Forums are not chat rooms. The action isn't very fast-paced. You've got plenty of time to look over your posts before you post them, and plenty of tools to help you do that. I'd advise you make such an effort. If you don't put forth much effort posting, you can't really expect us to put forth any more effort than you did into caring about them. That's fairly logical, I should think.

Unless you're posting in the spam forum, of course. In which case you don't have to be logical if you're funny. Funny to other people, not just yourself.

Speaking of grammar, I think you mean "Can you be any vaguer?" How did complaining about my vagueness turn into this anyway? *points above* Seems to me you need to rant, point your flamethrower elsewhere please.

Yes it was vague, just seeing if anyone would be interested. I also assumed -overestimated I guess- that one could easily figure out what I meant. I did some mouse drawing in Photo Shop, along with various coloring jobs etc, and I was wondering if anyone here might be interested in looking at them.

I figure, since this forum is "sorta" about a comic, that there might be some interest in artistic talent. If I remember right, a few people here sometimes draw to pay for the forum staying online and ad free. Since you seem to be interested though, also assuming from your long drawn out response that you are indeed interested, I'll post one below.

Like I said, I did this entirely by mouse, not having a scanner or tablet to help me draw with, so I'm kind of proud of it. The pic has history to it in another forum; if you're curious just ask.

Image <p>-------------------------------------------------------------

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:48 pm

I am absolutely certain I did not mean "Can you be any vaguer?" because I have never heard that prhase before in my entire life. That doesn't mean it's not right, though.

Anyway, I never said that that vagueness thing was a law or that you had to abide by it or even pay it any mind. I prefaced that whole "argument" by labeling it as merely a "pet peeve" of mine. I understand you were just trying to gauge interest, but it doesn't really cost you anything to be specific, and that saves the audience from having to assume anything, wether or not assumptions should be obvious. Which it wasn't in this case, as I assumed you were talking about art you scanned and colored in PhotoShop, which is usually what goes on around here when people get to talking about pics and PhotoShop.

My post may have been long and drawn out, but that's probably because I had some points I wanted to make. That happens sometimes in the discussion forum. At least you read the whole thing. Or most of it, anyway.

I meant pretty much the entirety of my last post as constructive criticism. You really ought to try to be less defensive. Seriously.

On an entirely different note, the forum isn't about a comic in any way. It's quite the opposite, in fact. The forum is about communnity, and the comic is about our RPs. Sorta.

Also, that's actually pretty good for mouse-art. The theme is kinda cliché though, except for the moogleness. That's not neccessarily a bad thing, if that's the vibe you were going for. Nice metallic effect on those accessories.

In the future, though, you should probably post artwork in the forum for artwork. It says "fanart" in the title, but it also says "miscellaneous," which would apply to things which are not RPGWW-related but still worth looking at. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:55 pm

Quote:
I am absolutely certain I did not mean "Can you be any vaguer?" because I have never heard that prhase before in my entire life. That doesn't mean it's not right, though.

The proper phrasing would be: "Could you possibly be more vague?" Or some variation, due the the fact that 'vaguer' is not at word. At best, it is a horrible horrible misspelling of the word 'Vouyer'.

For future reference GameStar, if you plan to lecture someone on their english, have the decency to study it a bit. If you are not proficient enough to earn a C+ in a twelfth grade English class, you have no business attacking the sentence structure of another person.

In short, shut the fuck up. <p>
Jeridan: Holder of the "Tastes like Chicken" Award.

"IM: ....my brother is a baby drinker." ~Ara</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=besyanteo@rpgww60462>Besyanteo</A]&nbsp; Image at: 7/8/04 9:58 pm

GameStar7

Unread postby GameStar7 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:10 pm

Well I wasn't giving any lectures to anyone, just trying to press my point that no one is perfect. And vaguer actually is a word silly. Here, I'll show ya.

encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/vaguer.html

See? More vague is the incorrect way of saying vaguer, like more happy is the incorrect way of saying happier. You can prove it by checking the spell check by the way; it doesn't pop up as being spelt wrong. So maybe you should put forth some effort too before saying someone’s wrong? Just a friendly suggestion... and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and ignore the stfu comment.

And I wasn't trying to get defensive, I've just been having a run of bad days and I didn't like being harped on. We all have days like that, unfortunately this is another one. <p>-------------------------------------------------------------

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:27 pm

I'm going to write this so you can understand it

Use real dictionary plz kthnxbye. <p>
-------------------------------------
NebbieQ: After all, nothing says romance like fighting the forces of Cobra and Druggies with a Rocket Launcher of 80s Justice.</p>

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:32 pm

Umm... <p>--------------------
Image I HAVE FURY!</p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:40 pm

If Cha will notice: The internet Dictionary he has linked has a sign up option. This means, you can join their little site, and give them terms with a definition, and it will be posted in their online dictionary.

This is still not a legitamate claim to the existence of the word 'Vaguer'.

If you can haul out an actual paperback or hardback dictionary, preferably one that does not say something to the effect of "Netspeak Dictionary!", scan the page with the word 'Vaguer', and a following definition, I will back down. Not only that, I will appologize to the forum and have my posts to this thread deleted, and have my postrank changed to anything the finder of the word 'Vaguer' chooses.

You have 48 hours. Hop to it. <p>

"IM: ....my brother is a baby drinker." ~Ara</p>

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:28 am

This is totally gonna end up in a rumble. Oh yeah! Greasers VS. the Soc's!

FlamingDeth

Slightly more subtle!

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:39 am

Wow, if that happens, I'm totally waiting outside.

Also: People should stop being stupid and petty on both sides.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=flamingdeth>FlamingDeth</A] at: 7/9/04 12:42 am

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:25 am

BW, Bes, I know you mean well, but believe me, vague is an improvement. Also, for the love of god, don't quote at him. That only encourages him. <p>"I didn't want to crush Moyle. I didn't have to. He was so spineless, gravity did it for me." - David McPhale, as Rob Muldoon</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Re: Slightly more subtle!

Unread postby BrainWalker » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:30 am

FD: Yea, probably, but what fun is that?

Reguardless of the "official" acceptence of the word, I refuse to use "vaguer" in any context other than directly referring to it as a word I will never use, and have never heard used oustide of this thread and crappy online dictionaries that cater to people who always get things like this wrong.

Edit: I hate it when it's late and I write up a post but get distracted and forget to hit the "add reply" button. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=brainwalker>BrainWalker</A]&nbsp; Image at: 7/9/04 2:35 am

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:35 pm

I'd just like to declare that this thread is ridiculous and the only thing keeping me from locking is that locking threads doesn't actually do anything. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

SuperRube

Unread postby SuperRube » Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:27 am

You could always edit in text to make it look like the poster is gay. That's what I always did. <p>

I have a deviantart gallery. I no longer have any shame. :(</p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:20 pm

Several things:

One, GameStar has lost. He has proven he could in fact not find a copy of a valid dictionary which has a definition for the word 'vaguer', because said word does not exist. How do I know he doesn't have a scanner? He would have posted sayying so. How do I know that he didn't decide to be more mature and simply stop trying? History, friends, history.

Why wouldn't I let this go? Because having GameStar preach to BW about his grammar is like a mormon telling me about Christian values. It's sad and shameful. Also, FD is right, I am petty! However, you all have known this for some time.

Brian: Locking a thread does do one thing! It tells the people in it that it's time to shut up before they get in trouble. Like a warning, which you have yet to issue, and hopefully will consider before you stray too close to the ban/mod edit button.

With that, I will stop posting to this thread. <p>

"IM: ....my brother is a baby drinker." ~Ara</p>

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:45 am

However, locking a thread does not allow for redemption.

LIKE SO!

GameStar7

Unread postby GameStar7 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:25 am

I lost what Besy? I get busy with life and don't check in for a few days and all of a sudden I'm wrong because you don't have the guts to admit that -maybe- you were being a little too hasty in flaming me?

*Sigh*

Anyway, I use MSN's dictionary mostly, mainly because that's the first one I came to know. I don't know what you were talking about users registering new words or even if it's true. I don't pay for it though regardless, and I do use other online sources if I need to. I have a real dictionary sitting right next to me, but as I said I don't have a scanner or the need to feel superior, nor did I even know of your little challenge. I do think KoD brought a link if it mattered though, I'll have to add that dictionary to my others.

And I didn't preach to Brain about anything, since I doubt one sentence counts as a speech. There's no need to declare some sort of holy war in his name you know. But yes, I'm sure vaguer is a word and it's not necessarily wrong to use more vague instead. As long as it's understandable and English I really couldn't care less. If I or he would have thought something so innocent would have turned into something so stupid, I bet neither one of us would have brought it up.

I would have figured people would talk more about how they hate it when people forget to use paragraphs or capital letters. I mean, vaguer vs. more vague is just unimportant compared to the grand scheme of things. Oh, and I've already said my hellos here... so if this thread spins out of control or anything you can lock it Archy. Miss your old avatar by the way, but this one is nice. <p>-------------------------------------------------------------

Will Rennar

Unread postby Will Rennar » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:52 am

Okay, a few things here before things go COMPLETELY apeshit.

1) Don't really remember ya, but welcome back nonetheless.

2) Spiffy catgirl picture earlier. I like it.

3) I certainly hope this puts the kabash on the whole "vaguer" BS.
Merriam-Webster definition of "vague", with "vaguer" listed as an inflected form.

Now that that's taken care of, how 'bout we drop the grammar nazi crap and move on already...sheesh. <p>Will Rennar / Asura Calibre

The Rosetta Stone -- The Sketchpad -- Asura's Harem</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:56 pm

*rereads the thread*

Dear God. That's it, no more posting in the discussion forum after 1AM for me.

Anyway...

Wolfbelly's link is infinitely more horrible than anything else in this thread thus far, which is saying a lot. However, it is also the best thing in this thread by far, due to it's comedic value. Paradoxicalicious!

Also!

GS7: Lost the argument, not "lost track of the thread" or whatever. Not that I agree, just clarifying.

Get off your "I'm being flamed" buisness. Seriously. People argue about stuff all the time; it is the nature of communnication. In fact, it is human nature. If nobody ever challenged anything or argued with anyone, we'd never learn anything or make any advancements.

And about the paragraph/capitalization thing: Well, obviously that's much worse, but you don't have problems there, so why would it have even come up? Your main problems are scentence structure and logic flow, which are much harder to define, and much more pointless to try to improve via this kind of medium.

Finally:
If? Spins? I think it's a bit late for words like that, unfortunately. I blame myself.

In my defense, thou- *suddenly, four men in white coats jump BW, put him in a straightjacket, and toss him into the STFU Wagon* <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=brainwalker>BrainWalker</A]&nbsp; Image at: 7/11/04 2:03 pm

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:27 pm

Nobody ever disagrees! Shut up and jump into the incinerator!

omf2097.ytmnd.com/ <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

GameStar7

Unread postby GameStar7 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:51 pm

Heh, thanks Will. It's a moogle, but everyone says Ian's moogles are similar to cats. But I'm glad ya liked it :)

I didn't click Wolf’s link, don't know what's there. It was late and I was uninterested. I don't really mind being flamed, I just don't like it when people can't admit that maybe they were wrong. That bugs me IRL, one of my peeves.

Yea, I tend to ramble a lot I know. Never said I scored any outstanding marks in English after all. I just don't think it's right that anyone should expect me or anyone else for that matter to be perfect. I not mad at you though Brain, just figured I'd speak my mind.

What the hell is that Priam? It was interesting though... figured I'd ask. <p>-------------------------------------------------------------

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:40 pm

As a note, it /says/ in the vaguer definition that it comes from the American Dictionary.

So Gamestar is right.

I weep too. <p><Chat> <Matto says, "What's up?"
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Angst."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Drama."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Betrayal."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Plushies."</p>

teenage squeal

Unread postby teenage squeal » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:15 pm

"Vaguer"??? What a nasty word. I guessed it would be American. <p>El Karpou Por Vida!

Vive! #1</p>

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:07 pm

<_< >_> *Doesn't say anything. Just steps back and leaves it to the professionals!*

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:09 pm

Sure glad this thread wasn't over a month old before Teenage posted to it.

And I'm especially glad he had something of worth to say, and not something stupid to raise his post count!

LadyDragonClawsEDW

Re: .

Unread postby LadyDragonClawsEDW » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:25 am

Okaaaaaaay. Reviving old topics with idiocy. 50 points are deducted from Hufflepuff. <p>"Peace is when both sides are reloading at the same time" -Silver</p>

Return to Discussion Forum