Words and Pictures!

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Words and Pictures!

Unread postby Capntastic » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:13 am

It's as easy as that. What are good books/comics/movies/stufflikethat that you like? What happens to be something you're currently digging? A webcomic you just found and sort of like? A book series you've loved forever? A little known movie you want everyone to see?
Yeah. Spiffiness and Groovacious-ness of the highest calibre!

BOOKS:

The Little Prince
Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt (Nothing to do with the movie.)
The Princess Bride (The Good Parts Abridged Version. Morgenstern at his best; Classic tale of Action and Adventure!)

AUTHORS:

Neal Stephenson (Read Snow Crash last month; currently inching through Diamond Age. Futuristic, well-done stuff; borderline cyberpunk.)

O. Henry (The master of making great stories of wacky everyday occurences. Scathing political drama; and wacky yet subtle satire.)

H.P. Lovecraft (He's got a lot more horror up his sleeves than Cthulhu, jerks.)

Frank Herbert; Arthur C. Clarke; Orson Scott Card; Ray Bradbury (Some really rad Sci-Fi.)

MOVIES:

Six String Samurai (Post apocalyptic world! Surf Rock VS. Heavy Metal! Annoying screaming kid! Also; The Red Elvises)

Angel's Crest, Finder's Fee, Memento (Three really swell Psycological Thrillers!)

Blues Brothers (Self Explanatory.)

Spinal Tap (See above!)

And, uh, more later, maybe.

Now post yours, please :D

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=capntastic>Capntastic</A]&nbsp; Image at: 7/25/04 2:14 am

Choark

Super Words and Super Pictures!

Unread postby Choark » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:18 am

Right now I'm totally digging the American Super Hero comic scene. T'is funny how my fandom go in full circles. Some of the comics I'm currently collecting/reading is:

Robin (The Girl Wonder? No more?)

Teen Titan's

Identity Crisis

JLA: Pain of the Gods

Batman/Superman (the one with the super funky sign on the front)

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I'd probably get more but I'm not made of money, and sometimes I've had to cheat and just read them instead of buying them - which is kinda depressing.</span>

As you can see I'm pretty much a DC reader at the moment, which is at least different from when I was younger when I got only Marvel stuff (Of course that was because that was only what was available when I was younger). I'm not against Marvel just nothing seems to be drawing me to there stuff though I did pick up and read the Amazing Fantasy from Marvel because I totally dig the girls look on the cover. I've been trying to get NYX, which seems to come out every three months or something and I only have up to 4. The art in that is bloody fantastic.

The new Conan comic series is pretty darn cool too and I'm reading that. I also just recently read the graphic novel Batman: The Dark Knight Returns which was set with an aged Bruce and it was an excellent story.

So yeah, thanks to the MMORPG City of Heroes I'm pretty much totally wrapped up in the Super Hero world. And although I don't get the comic free as every American subcriber to the game gets, I have managed to get my hand on the two comics out so far. And they won't blow this world apart, its still kinda nice.

And I just got a fly power for one of my Heroes. I am happy. Yes I am. I spent half an hour flying around Steel Canyon and swooping through statues legs and serving out justice, just because. gotta love fly!

As a side note: Despite its complete disreguard for history I really enjoyed The Last Samurai the film. Course I *am* a well known Samurai fanboy so its not that unexpected. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center">Cowgirl fanboy - Barbarian Ninja - Expert Mouse Catcher - Holder of the Iron Glasses Of Doom!</div></p>

FlamingDeth

Re: Super Words and Super Pictures!

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:17 pm

Well!

Comics:
Transformers: The War Within
Transformers: The Dark Ages
Transformers: Generation One

You probably see some sort of pattern there. They're all Dreamwave Transformers comics! You see, Marvel lost the lisence from Hasbro to make Transformers comics, so now Dreamwave has the lisence, and it is thoroughly neato. I haven't bothered reading the Armada and Energon comics, even though they're in theory absolutely nothing like the shows beyond character designs. Also, "The Dark Ages" series is technically an extension of "The War Within", which is totally about Transformers before t hey came to Earth. Cybertronian vehicles modes = the awesomest.

And I suppose that I should mention "Superman: Red Son", even though it's not published anymore I don't think, the series which was basically, "What if that little escape pod from Krypton landed smack dab in the middle of Russia instead of the US?" Oh my! Superman was a champion for the Soviet Union!

For movies, I can't think of too many out-of-the-way things that people may not have looked into yet. "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" is pretty good though, if you like absurdist theatre. "The Snake Crane Secret" is a pretty good old kung fu movie, I suppose.

As far as books...I dunno. I like most things Larry Niven, though. *preemptively punches Lloyd*

EDIT: If I'm mentioning comics that are awesome but are over, I may as well mention...all the early 90s Spiderman comics. That'd be Spiderman, Web of Spiderman, Spectacular Spiderman, and the Amazing Spiderman. I <3 cloens. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>"Quoting yourself in your sig is dumb" - FlamingDeth</center></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=flamingdeth>FlamingDeth</A] at: 7/25/04 6:57 pm

Endesu
ラムレッダ

:o

Unread postby Endesu » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:55 pm

Hello!

I like Stephen King's writings, though his collections of short stories are often stronger than his full-length works. I'm also currently reading through an excellent mini collection of German short stories.

Movies are all horror. From what I've seen, I strongly recommend Ring (JP), The Ring (US), Ring 2 (JP), Evil Dead/Evil Dead 2 (US), and Ju-On (KR? JP?).

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Probably going to update this every now and again...

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:11 pm

OK, well, let's see...

Recently I've been on a "Books that Are/Will Be Movies" kick. The string started with Hannibal, and led to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and the Green Mile. Next on the list is I, Robot, if I can find a copy without friggin' Will Smith on the cover.

I rarely watch movies, but recently I saw Shrek and Spider-Man 2. Shrek 2 I won't bother to watch again unless someone rents it, and Spider-Man 2... well...

IT'S SPIDER-MAN 2.

Yeah.

A webcomic I really recommend is Ctrl+Alt+Del (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com). Incredibly funny. Chef Brian is to go to death for. FIVE ALIVE. The nymphs, they bring them in the night! *stabs self* ... AAAAAAAAH! THE GRAPE JELLY IS ESCAPING!

Also, go pick up a copy of Outsiders or Teen Titans. It's DC finally realizing why X-Men is so popular.

OH! Bongo Comics Group. Buy their comics. They're the folks who make comics like Simpsons, Futurama, Superior Squad (Radioactive Man & co.), and so on. Go! Read! As funny as the show and with more intriguing references!

EQUILIBRIUM.

It's a straight to video movie starring the future Batman, Christian Bale, as the equivalent of an Agent in the Matrix, only the way they control the populace is through depriving them of emotion. It's... amazing. Great performances, sweet-ass effects, and an engrossing story. Go rent it. Now. <p>--------------------
Image I HAVE FURY!</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kingofdoma>KingOfDoma</A] at: 7/30/04 9:41 am

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Re: Words and Pictures!

Unread postby Kelne » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:59 am

Well, on the movie front, I have to recommend Shaun of the Dead. While I suspect that only the Brits will be able to get their hands on it readily, it's well worth the effort.

Never really had much interest in comics. I tend to read through semi-random stuff from the library. Thankfully, they had almost the whole Sandman series.

Books. Where to begin? Pratchett seems to have monopolised a shelf of my bookcase. Otherwise, notable authors include David Brin, Douglas Adams, Tad Williams, plus a large pile of sci-fi/fantasy best dubbed 'miscellaneous'. <p>"I didn't want to crush Moyle. I didn't have to. He was so spineless, gravity did it for me." - David McPhale, as Rob Muldoon</p>

Lord McBastard

Unread postby Lord McBastard » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:07 pm

I don't want to think about this too much, but I will recomend one thing.

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. A Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, and Storm of Swords are the three books currently out, with A Feast for Crows comming in August. Dynamite series, just dynamite. <p><div style="text-align:center">
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagh'nagl fhtagn"-Call of Cthulhu</div>
<div style="text-align:center">"Go tell your alien brothers, that Ronnie Cordova says they're gay!"-Ronnie Cordova</div></p>

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:31 pm

Let's see...

As far as books go...James Clavell's Shogun was awesome, and I think I need to give it a second read through. The Necroscope series, by Brian Lumley, was good enough that I couldn't put it down. Haven't read more than the first three books, though. The Book of Five Rings, by Miyamoto Musashi was an interesting read, if you're into martial arts at all.

Movies...Memento was already mentioned, I think. The Seven Samurai was pretty good too, despite being subtitled and in black and white. Dragons Forever was fucking awesome, the trio of Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, and Biao Yuen kicked major ass.

Yeah.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:48 pm

Books: Paksenarrion series, by Elizabeth Moon. Read through the first two, going to buy the last one soon.

Comics: Battle Angel Alita, Ragnarok and Hellsing have my attention at the moment.

Lord McBastard

Unread postby Lord McBastard » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:21 pm

Ahh yes, I just picked up Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Probably one of the best RPGs I've played, mostly on the merit that you can actually change the plot with your actions. Quite good, quite fun, and it uses something based off the D20 system so it's pretty easy to understand. Also it's like 30 bucks now, so quite a deal.

I also picked up the first DVD for Read or Die the TV show, it doesn't disappoint. Much like the original series it goes "Here's the story. Oh and we're not going to explain anything to you, figure it out". Though I have learned a couple of things of interest. The Paper wasn't the only Paper Master, apparently there's a few out there. Mr. Joker apparently doesn't want to be called Joker anymore, instead it's Mr. Carpenter. Oh yes and Paper Mastery is apparently magic, though it's possible that was just a mistranslation.

Either way, everyone should go and get both of the previously mentioned things. Yup. <p><div style="text-align:center">
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagh'nagl fhtagn"-Call of Cthulhu</div>
<div style="text-align:center">"Go tell your alien brothers, that Ronnie Cordova says they're gay!"-Ronnie Cordova</div></p>

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:37 pm

Hey, you know another great game? System Shock 2! And you know what'd be even better about it? IF I GOT IT BACK FROM YOU!

Aside from that, comics would be Kraven's last hunt and the entire star brand series under the temporary New Universe title from marvel. Movies would be Ringu, Count of Monte Cristo, Fight Club, Aliens, and Kill Bill. Books would be George RR Martin's song of fire and ice, and the Life of Pi. Plays would be Hamlet.

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:23 pm

I want to add the Bourne Identity to my list of movies, because I just saw it and it was pretty awesome.

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:06 pm

Life of Pi is an awesome book.

Anyway, books:

A Clockwork Orange
Slaughterhouse-Five
Breakfast of Champions
Brave New World
Einstein's Dreams
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Movies:

A Clockwork Orange (yes, again)
Fight Club, of course
Basically anything by Quentin Tarantino
To Catch a Thief (go, Hitchcock!)
Boondock Saints

Can't think of much else right now... <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=archmage144>Archmage144</A]&nbsp; Image at: 7/30/04 2:06 pm

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:22 pm

Isaac Asimov's Robot City books. While technically not written by Asimov himself, the SF master did put forth a couple challenges for up-and-coming writers to sift through in the context of his robots and especially his Laws of Robotics. I'm only on the second book (though I have already read the sequel of the sequel of the sequel), but so far it appears to have made a great story.

Gamewise, Age of Mythology all the way. No if's, and's, or but's. Except I haven't been able to play much, a pity.

The only TV show I watch religiously is Dead Like Me (Sundays at 10 PM on Showtime), but the new season's been disappointing me. The first season was better. <p>-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

"If a tree falls in the middle of a forest and no one's around to hear it, it was obviously the work of ninja."
-Darkknight

"We know there's no soy milk, because there's no soy titties."
-Lewis Black</p>

Return to Discussion Forum