I have a new computer

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

BrainWalker
✔+

I have a new computer

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:00 pm

Yea, it totally rox.

This also means that I have an old computer, as well. It's an archaic piece of crap, but as far as archaic pieces of crap go, it's been a pretty hard-working, reliable one. If I weren't so apathetic right now, I'd post some stats or something, but mostly I'm just trying to gauge interest and/or seek suggestions on what to do with it.

Did I forget to mention I've got a new scanner, too? well, I do. And an old one, although technically it belongs to my parents, even though they let me use it after they got their "new" scanner...

So yea, any help would be appreciated. I'll probably be less unhelpfully vague and generally detatched in a day or two. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Re: I have a new computer

Unread postby Capntastic » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:57 pm

Old computers are great for all sorts of fun.

Like my old DOS Laptop, which I use to play fun and exciting games on.

Rig it to run old DOS games :D Or crap it for parts. Or a spare Hard Drive for mp3s and anime and whatnot.

But yeah, post stats of your new computer along with the old. Zero wanty new computer, and wants to see what he should be gunning for.

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:17 pm

A new scanner? New computer?

SOUNDS LIKE TIME FOR AN ASS SCANNING!!!

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:18 pm

reused of hard-drives can indeed be fun. We use them for this until we run out of slots, and then keep remaining disks in storage. When a disk goes bad, we take out one of those disks, and pop it in in the dead one's place. :o

Other than that, maybe if you wanted to sell parts cheap, or donate an old computer to someone? <p>
Mrao~!

Jeridan: Holder of the "Tastes like Chicken" Award.

"IM: ....my brother is a baby drinker." ~Ara</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:20 pm

I'd propably reuse that old hard drive if it were larger than 13 gigs. Then again, 13 gis is pretty decent if it's dedicated entirely to MP3s... even if it is five or so years old.

Anyway, without actually hooking it up again, I'm pretty sure it's got 128MB RAM, a Vodoo3 (which makes reformats an unnecessarily huge pain in the ass), a 13Gb hard drive, a Sound Blaster Live!, a 16x DVD-ROM drive and a decent network adaptor. And a CD-RW drive which is actually only about a year old.

I was thinking about donating it to Shan since her computer sucks even more ass than my old one there. The problem with that is that I'm poor and at the same time in need of things and/or stuff. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:21 pm

... Your old computer is better than the ony I keep in my room.

By a landslide.

>: no more complainings. <p>
Mrao~!

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:29 pm

Bes should get a Per. V-Tech. Mine came with some really cool songs!

(Edit) - My first post in this thread is made all much better by its post number.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=capntastic>Capntastic</A]&nbsp; Image at: 7/20/04 5:36 pm

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:10 pm

Quote:
>: no more complainings.
Sure, it's a great system. Unless of course you ever have to reinstall the graphics card, or want play a game newer than 2 years old, or store unnecessary quantities of MP3s and old cartoon episodes. It also simply cannot handle 3D Studio Max, which is 80% of the reason I got a new one. The other 20% being that it was starting to slow down a lot. I don't need to have to suffer through a 20 second pause 'cause AIM had trouble finding the "door close" sound effect. I also don't need Paint Shop to shut down on me in the middle of a bigass project because some other application suddenly decided it needed a bunch of RAM.

Also, somehow I forgot to mention that it was running on a PIII 450 cpu. That's kind of an important detail to leave out. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=brainwalker>BrainWalker</A]&nbsp; Image at: 7/20/04 10:12 pm

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:19 pm

I would die at 450MHz. :( <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>"Quoting yourself in your sig is dumb" - FlamingDeth</center></p>

Will Rennar

Unread postby Will Rennar » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:19 pm

Yeah, using it as a spare HD to store stuffus on would be a good idea, but I'd just keep the hard drive, sell the rest of it for the parts, and use the profits to get this little $40 thing Circuit City sells that's basically an external HD case that you can plug a regular HD into. <p>Will Rennar / Asura Calibre

The Rosetta Stone -- The Sketchpad -- Asura's Harem</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:41 am

Or I could use that $40 to pay for about 1/4 of the gas I'm gonna need for Otakon travelling. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:06 pm

Bw says these things like he can impress me with them. :{ ... There is a reason that most of what I do all day is hang around on AIM...

Have fun with your new computer and stuff though. <p>
Mrao~!

Celeste of Elvenhame

Unread postby Celeste of Elvenhame » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:37 pm

If you end up selling it for parts, I might latch onto a piece or two.
<p>---------------Celeste of Elvenhame ---------------

Aaron Lewis of Guildportal: On the up side though, most of the remaining bugs are genuinely evil, sentient beings that actively dodge attempts to thwart them.</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:11 am

Bes: They're not supposed to impress you, they're supposed to explain why my old computer which, while technically competent, wasn't suited to my needs.

*smacks Bes* No Besy-snack for you :( <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Return to Discussion Forum