The road to rational thought hits another detour

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

CronoLuminaire

The road to rational thought hits another detour

Unread postby CronoLuminaire » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:46 pm

(Serious non-spam style discussion/rambling alert, please have your replies to this particular section composed accordingly )
This just in:

The general field that I and other people in my major are heading for, is coming up close to empty jobwise. Sense of futility is setting in. Two seemingly unrelated classes share the similar theme of, "Guess what? This peice of paper you are heading for probably won't do jack for you! Have fun! Oh, and do try to be on time with your tuition and book payments." ( The preceeding quote has been a dramatization and does not represent actual statements made by professors, but damn, that's sure what it feels like. ) This would not be so bad if there was some sort of zany college life thing I could drown my sorrows in. But instead I'm punching a clock, and for what? It's a scary world out there, a world without jobs, and I don't know if I'm the only one here who feels this way...

Maybe it's time for cut and paste again...

And it was. Oh yes, that alert is still there because I cut and pasted it verbatim. Maybe I do have a bit of "RPGWW Energy" ( Or whatever the term might be ) stored up from not being around so much.

This no internet thing must be taking its toll on me, not just because I can't keep in touch with you guys, but because most of my close friends are at out of state colleges. Colleges where that zany sort of thing actually does happen.

Whoever reads this might be wondering what it is I'm asking for in posting all this, ( self-depreciating voice ) the answer is, I am not sure what I want or expect, these are just thoughts that entered my head and needed to be put somewhere, and here they are put, I should be studying right now, I should be doing a lot of things, but I seem to be not doing them instead.

Well, it's almost time for class, so, as I did with the last two posts, I'll hit send and not look back, this time there will be no cut and paste. <p>
I should post more...<div style="text-align:center"><span style="font-size:xx-small;">Kyle: *sips Cocoa* <br />James: ::Sips Cocoa:: <br />Eve: ::Sips Cocoa:: <br /> Cocoa; Gecko-Fencers, Reploid-bishes and Epee wielding children agree, It's the best drink on Gaera!
</span>ULTIMATE ESOTERIC ELEMENTAL
(You won't know what hit you)</div></p>

Wolfbelly

Re: The road to rational thought hits another detour

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:47 pm

There's a bunch of stuff you can do with a university degree alone. An example being teaching english as a second language in a variety of countries. These things tend to be government sponsored and are therefore generally well regulated. There are, however, some companies that aren't sponsored, and may therefore be absolutely terrible for you. But, hey. Those student loans gotta get paid somehow, right?

So what's your degree in?

WhiteShadow

Unread postby WhiteShadow » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:45 am

The same kind of problem is being faced by those in my degree (Computer and Information Science) but it isn't the lack of jobs - it's the lack of experience.

This course is four years, full time, and employers want ON THE JOB experience as well, and if they aren't hiring people with degrees and nothing else, where are we supposed to get this experience? Exactly.

And it's my final year. Scary, scary stuff. <p>-----------------------------------------------------
First, we battle.
Then - we dance!</p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:35 pm

*sprays White Shadow with silver and holy water*

A ghost! A ghost! <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>Superion, Autobot air gestalt, recently died protecting Los Angeles from a nuclear missile. Rest in peace. :(</center></p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:57 am

Damn, WS. If that isn't a catch-22, I don't know what is. o_O <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

Seethe347

Unread postby Seethe347 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:57 pm

That's how they force you into the military. <p><span style="font-size:x-small;">If you are reading this, it means that I am logged in.</span></p>Edited by: [url=http://b3.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=seethe347>Seethe347</A] at: 4/18/04 1:58 pm

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:50 pm

That's why I plan on staying in school until I get a doctorate. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

CronoLuminaire

Unread postby CronoLuminaire » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:18 am

WS has it. I face that same catch-22.

WS: My major is specifically called "Programming and Systems" but it falls under the CIS umbrella.

Zem: Then you will face two problems, you will be simultaneously overqualified and underexperienced. Can you believe that it is possible to not be hired for a job because you are TOO GOOD? What kind of world is this? <p>
I should post more...<div style="text-align:center"><span style="font-size:xx-small;">Kyle: *sips Cocoa* <br />James: ::Sips Cocoa:: <br />Eve: ::Sips Cocoa:: <br /> Cocoa; Gecko-Fencers, Reploid-bishes and Epee wielding children agree, It's the best drink on Gaera!
</span>ULTIMATE ESOTERIC ELEMENTAL
(You won't know what hit you)</div></p>

Return to Discussion Forum