Hypothetical Situation

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Wolfbelly

Hypothetical Situation

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:59 am

<FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>You are a supervisor at Place of Employment (PoE). An employee at PoE isn't doing his job properly, and it comes to pass that he must be fired. Later that day, you mention this situation amongst a group of friends, one of whom works at PoE. The other PoE employee is a good friend of yours, and asks for more details on who the soon to be fired employee is. What do you do?</FONT><FORM method=post action="http://p068.ezboard.com/frpgww60462frm11.processVote?topicID=695.topic"><table border=0 cellpadding=3 cellspacing=0 width="55%"><tbody><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="1"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Refuse to say anything more on the matter</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="2"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Oblige your friend's curiousity</FONT></td></tr></tbody></table><P><input type=submit value="Vote"></form>Show results</FONT>

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Re: Hypothetical Situation

Unread postby ChristianC » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:20 am

I'd refuse. Sure, my friend might get a bit pissed, but that's nothing compared to the shame I'd feel for being so unprofessional as to slip who it'd be.

This is a situation where the only people involved are me(the supervisor) and the employee, no one else. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Christian Cordeus - Shamelessly stealing school supplies since 1993.</div></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:04 pm

I suppose it might not be impossible to let your friend know that he's not the one getting canned, but that's as far as I'd go on the subject. If friend-boy isn't a asshat, he should be able to respect your position on the subject. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:27 pm

BW's mirrors my opinion. Let said guy know it's not him, nothing more.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=unclepervy@rpgww60462>Uncle]&nbsp; Image at: 3/25/04 3:27 pm

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:23 pm

I would first chastise myself for being so careless with my words as to discuss internal events amongst such company. Then, my specific reaction would depend on whether this friend knew the to-be-terminated employee. Good choices from there include "Eh, you'll find out soon enough," and "I'll let you guess." Of course giving no conscious clues as to whether his/her guesses are correct, naturally. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:31 pm

If the topic has indeed come up in conversation, namely that an employee who is *not doing their job properly* is set for termination, then the friend should *know* whether it is him. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:08 am

Eh. I'd wait to spill the news till said poor employee was actually fired. Don't want to turn up with some sort of slander lawsuit against ya, I say.
<p>--------------------
"Kill her. Then we'll have pizza."

-Scorpius, Farscape

Happy Winter-een-mas!</p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:22 am

In my experience, if someone is getting fired, everyone around already knows who and why, making the point moot. <p>Image</p>

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:38 pm

Who the bloody hell's still voting on this? I humbly request a lockdown ... FOR SCIENCE!!!!

Return to Discussion Forum