Ewwies.

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Vampire Jester Jinx

Ewwies.

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:02 am

msnbc.msn.com/id/4078903/

Discuss. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">
Too cool to sig...
</div></p>Edited by: Vampire Jester Jinx&nbsp; Image at: 2/15/04 11:02 am

Vampire Jester Jinx

Re: Ewwies.

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:15 pm

no no.....i'm more disgusted that someone went through with eating that crap nonstop for a month. just....oh god...my intestines cry out at the thought. <p>
Too cool to sig...
</div></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:47 pm

Wow. That guy is one crazy sonofabitch.

You know, I'm a little perplexed about McDonald's food. It's really, really bad for me; which should mean that it's really really tasty. But no, not only is it bad for me, it's not all that tasty, which leads me to wonder how the Hell McDonald's got so popular.

They're probably better at buisness than they are at making food.

Also, the following excerpt from the first paragrap amuses me:
Quote:
At one point in the report, recalls Spurlock, a representative for the fast-food chain claimed its food was, in fact, nutritious.
<p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=brainwalker>BrainWalker</A]&nbsp; Image at: 2/15/04 12:48 pm

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:58 pm

As for the Nutrition comment: Perhaps he was referring to those McSalad thingamabobbers. If he wasn't, then that's the excuse he'll probably fall back on if questioned about it.

As for the Popularity Comment: Laziness. It's there, it's quick, it's easy. Since it doesn't taste like sewage (at least, to most people), McDonalds will remain popular. <p>

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">
"Hello, I'm Troy Mclure! You may remember me from such realms as Hell, and Gaera!"-Shinigori, OOC</span></p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:09 pm

Actually I find McDonalds pretty damn tasty, if eaten only once a month.

The sheer pure quality meat and strange chemicals in each product makes it quite unique, and so it can be a nice welcome change every now and then. Plus it's quick and open until 2am here at Duke.
<p>

I am just too damn British.

LilDragonFluffy: HOW TE FUCK DO YOU FEMININFIZE GUS?!

"The best research [for playing a drunk] is being a British actor for 20 years." - Michael Caine</p>

KraKeN

Unread postby KraKeN » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:11 pm

WHat you mean you don't have dodgey Kebab shops and pizza places you have Mcdonalds!!!!

I hope the sell a McKebab of something just to keep up with the experience. <p>
<div style="text-align:center"> Image<br />"Now apparently just apathetic."</div></p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:17 pm

I refuse to eat at an American kebab shop, simply because if they can't spell kebab (kabob indeed) I'm not going to trust them to make one.

That and I'm not a big fan of kebabs anyway.
<p>

"The best research [for playing a drunk] is being a British actor for 20 years." - Michael Caine</p>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:04 pm

I've been put off McDonalds scince the night I ate some, then started getting the first signs of the flu about 2 hours later. When you eat McDonalds, and begin vomiting for another reason entirely, you don't care what that other reason is, you're gonna blame the McDonalds. <p>

Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Why Barius has no family reunions.</div></p>

Seethe347

Unread postby Seethe347 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:30 pm

Well, back when I was in high school, I kind of liked a restaurant that you could use to get out of going to school every now and then.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Re: ...

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:10 am

What's really bad is when they don't cook the chicken nuggets all the way through.

Also, I find the McMuffin-related egg patties (for lack of a better phrase) quite delicious, inexplicably. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Bardash Blackridge

Unread postby Bardash Blackridge » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:39 am

That's good to know now after the fact that I had chicken McNuggets for dinner this very day.... <p>You have never been anywhere until you have been here.</p>

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:46 am

McDonalds has hardly ever been all that good.
Each time I had some (When they used to do the whole monopoly schtick we'd order from there alot) it's always gave me stomach problems. Read: going to the bathroom every 30 minutes or so. ow.

The thing is, they never really used to be that way.. about 10 years ago McDonalds was actually GOOD.
Lord knows thats FAR from the truth now. No its just.. ugh.

So yeah, eating nothing but McDonalds for about a year.. its.. just gross as hell >_>; <p><div style="text-align:center">
</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=dragonmistressscv>DragonMistressSCV</A]&nbsp; Image at: 2/16/04 2:47 am

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:20 pm

It actually tastes pretty different between countries. In england I don't know what it is but it just tastes...different.
<p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:23 pm

"Actually I find McDonalds pretty damn tasty, if eaten only once a month."

I'm with Gus. <p>
<center>Hello, I'm Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!
</center><small>-=- "I wanna get so drunk that I start seeing my friends as cows." -- Aya (LadyDragonClawsEDW)
-=- "If you're still able to see in colors and not in scents...you're CERTAINLY not drunk enough." -- Nakibe (Nakibe)
-=- "Don't you know the only excuse for that is being drunk!?" -- Hakaril (Archmage144)
-=- "Alcohol is good for everything." -- Banjooie</small></p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:02 pm

Cripes.

There must be some sort of health code violation where you people live. The McDonald's here.. while it isn't the best fast food I've ever had, is still pretty good. Burgers and fries taste fine and all. It's been the same way for me in Ohio and Florida (though.. there was one burger that was crap. Just one, though).

Edit: Although my opinion might not be fair to count, considering the last time I ate there was summer of last year, possibly earlier. <p>
Now I see what I've gotta do /
Open Your Heart /
And you will see
</p>Edited by: Crawling Reshiki at: 2/16/04 5:08 pm

Raishilliah

Unread postby Raishilliah » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:04 pm

I could probably take eating there once a week, but three times every day... oh man. You almost have to wonder if he'd have died from it after another month or so. <p>

l33tPenguinePimp: I'm going to try to make a bread bowl.
KnightsofSquare: Good luck.
KnightsofSquare: I can't even make a bread play ping pong.
Yay! My site! I sound like an idiot! Yay!
</p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:16 pm

For the past month I've been eating far too much McDonalds. I mean twice a week or something. It's just so tasty and pretty cheap and easy.
<p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:18 pm

That reminds me...

"It actually tastes pretty different between countries. In england I don't know what it is but it just tastes...different."

Could it be a difference in the oil used to cook? I know McDs in the US stopped using animal fats for frying everything a long while back, due to complaints. I don't know if the same thing happened in other countries, but when I worked at the airport, people were constantly asking if we used animal fats or vegetable oil for our frying. <p>
</center><small>-=- "I wanna get so drunk that I start seeing my friends as cows." -- Aya (LadyDragonClawsEDW)
-=- "If you're still able to see in colors and not in scents...you're CERTAINLY not drunk enough." -- Nakibe (Nakibe)
-=- "Don't you know the only excuse for that is being drunk!?" -- Hakaril (Archmage144)

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:21 pm

It was other countries (mainly Islamic ones) that started that change. I just think it's different cooking times. It takes longer in England, and tastes dryer. Possibly because it's more cooked.
<p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:25 pm

I dunno, if we had cooked our food significantly longer than what we did, it would have been ruined. I don't think it's cooking time. <p>

KraKeN

Unread postby KraKeN » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:16 pm

I haven't eaten since lunchtime yesterday and all this talk of food is killing me....

Time for a midnight food trek! <p>
<div style="text-align:center"> Image<br />"Now apparently just apathetic."</div></p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:09 pm

Ok then. A word from your local ex McDonalds employee.

Rule one: Anything they say to you about their food is implied as having a '*' at the end of it. Or, they get to lie without it being a liability. Can their food be nutritious? Sure. The Salads, if you but the Grilled Cobb, while not a real Cobb salad, can be nutritous. Note that almost no one buys the Cobb salad, or if they do they don't use the vinagrette dressing, and thus add on gobs of fat and colories. Also note the Cobb, or any other advertised salad, costs one cent less than four double cheeseburgers. Think about that for a minute.

What they neglect to tell you is that all their burgers? To comply with anything -close- to a 2000 calorie a day diet, is to buy a happy meal, not a mighty kids meal, and eat nothing else. That's for an adult. When you eat McDonalds, you're essentially putting trash in your stomach that happens to have some half decent flavoring on it.

How did McDonalds get so popular? That's fairly simple. They started out as a much smaller group, who bought better quality stuff, for a society that didn't think about this stuff. Then, they got bigger, went commerical, and changed their product little by little over time, so no one noticed. When the old man who started all of it died, things just sped up: It always works that way when a company gets left to the guys more interested in earning an extra buck than they are in the people they're serving. The store I work at is a good example, except everyone sees what it's doing. I expect Giant food, atleast in the Ashburn area, to go under any year now.

Anyways! As for the original subject: ... Yeah, even if he was exposing McDonalds if a very visual way, the guy was stupid to think he could survive eatting McDonalds. o_o ... I know after working there for 3 months I was about ready to keel over myself, and I wouldn't always eat their food. O_o

So, Yeah. I think I'm done now. <p>

Jeridan: Holder of the "Tastes like Chicken" Award.

"So you're afraid of a man who can't walk in sunlight, can't stand crosses, and is easily dispatched by WOOD?"~Selrahc/KoD</p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:49 pm

I had McDonalds again today, despite all of this. Why? Because there was no queue, it was quick, it was cheap, and I could ignore the food while reading a newspaper. I think McDonald's main appeal is the simplicity, from the way the food is made, to the fact that you order with a number. Add to this the taste (which is generally liked, though the ingredients may be questionable) and there's your popularity.
<p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:40 pm

Edit: What the? How did that happen?

Peole need to be able to delete their own posts :( <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=brainwalker>BrainWalker</A]&nbsp; Image at: 2/18/04 2:58 pm

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:07 pm

Great. I had a Big Mac today. Thanks

*eats a Junior Bacon Cheeseburger and shoves his fingers in his ears* <p>--------------------
"Kill her. Then we'll have pizza."

-Scorpius, Farscape

Happy Winter-een-mas!</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:53 pm

Bes kinda added some verbosity to what was on my mind.

Also, apparantly a couple people in this thread actually enjoy McDonald's food. That's kind of baffling to me. It's not that McDonald's food is just plain bad, it's just really mediocre. I live across the street from a damn fine burger joint that uses patties made entirely of beef that actually have some thickness to them. I guess that means I'm a little spoiled. But really, if I'm going to pay money to eat something that's bad for me, I'm going to make sure I thoroughly enjoy it. Besides, I can use one of the beef patties we always have on hand and fry my own damn burger, and it would taste several times better than anything McDonald's could serve me.

I suppose that's not "convenient". It's also not possible for some people. Like college students in dorms, for example. You know, all dorms should have a communnal kitchen on every floor. Dorm kids don't eat well enough. Of course, if that was the case, there would be several more instances of college dorms burning to the ground XP

At least go somewhere that serves decent food that's worth your money. If there's a McDonald's somwhere, chances are there's something better nearby.

Also: Are McDonald's salads really that expensive? <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:20 pm

1) I don't get burgers, I get chicken nuggets. They taste so good.

2) I do go to the other places on campus (Armadillo Grill, Chick-fil-A, Alpine Bagels, Ricks Diner and more) it's just that we're talking about McDonalds right now.

3) Of all these places I believe McDonalds is the most popular (personally I prefer both chick-fil-A and the 'Dillo Grill, despite the effects of the later on my digestive system) because of its simplicity. It's not even that cental to campus (Alpine and Chick-fil-A are both by the main bus stop) but most people make the trek for the taste and te fact that it's something they know.
<p>

Seethe347

Re: Ewwies

Unread postby Seethe347 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:38 pm

I didn't really say that McDonald's actually ever made me sick. And the truth is that it didn't. In fact, I actually like the taste of their food, eaten on a regular basis, and am not bothered by the knowledge of what it really is or how many flies might have died on it. I'm really just not a natural person. But, strangely, there's not a McDonald's anywhere around that I can conveniently access. There's a Burger King and even a Subway that are more convenient for me to use.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:32 am

BW: any of the three major advertised Salads cost 3.99. A double chesseburger is a dollar for each one. After tax, here in VA, that comes to:

Salad: $4.17
Double Cheeseburger x4: $4.18

They -do- have a dollar salad, but it's advertised at the bottom of the dollar menu, nevermentioned, and they don't make many of them in a day. For obvious reasons, they don't sell many of them either. ... Oh: The advertised salads are made pretty fresh. The dollar salads are kept in a freezer near the front, along with the milk apple juice. I had customers complain that their salad was frozen. :-/ ...

So, whee. <p>

Jeridan: Holder of the "Tastes like Chicken" Award.

"So you're afraid of a man who can't walk in sunlight, can't stand crosses, and is easily dispatched by WOOD?"~Selrahc/KoD</p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:47 am

I have a friend who's anemic who will only eat McDonald's "food" (his use of quotes, not mine) if he has absolutely no alternative and must eat SOMETHING.

That said, I don't think I'd go back to eating McDonald's burgers again either. I only eat the Sausage Egg McMuffins there, and really, I could very easily do without the sausage. My main reasons are that it A) has eggs, sort of, which are tasty, and B) encompasses a meager 3-minute wait from the beginning of the wait in the drive-through line to the point where they hand me my two sandwiches. It certainly helps, too, that C) I get my two sandwiches for three and a half bucks. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:13 pm

Today I found myself on campus with all the time in the world to choose which restaurant to eat at. I went to every one to see the options except Rick's Diner (too far away). They all had huge queues except for McDonalds and the Armadillo Grill, yet on campus there were far more people eating McDonalds than anything else. Yet I went for the Armadillo Grill, for while McDonalds is nice once in a while twice in two days is too much for me. While I was seated inside the Grill eating my steak fajitas and hot wings I realised there was another reason I liked the Duke McDonalds more than most regular McDonalds: the atmosphere. The Duke McDonalds has no enclosed area, with the serving area being adjacent to a large seating area (including three of the comfiest leather couches I've ever sat one) which is brightly lit and always popular. This is actually a large factor in my choosing McDonalds, as being able to sit on those comfy leather sofas and chairs with a newspaper and an easy to eat meal (very important if reading a newspaper) is a huge bonus.
<p>

CronoLuminaire

Unread postby CronoLuminaire » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:27 pm

Many McDonalds have "playplaces" filled with running screaming snot factories, err... I mean cute little children, like my little sister ( Yes, monsters ). That's the "atmosphere" I tend to associate with McDonalds. Thier food is also not all that good, both tasting and for you. It is very rare now that I would eat at a McDonalds by choice. Mainly because of an article I read a few years ago concerning the oils used in cooking the fries.

The oil was indeed changed from beef callow to vegatable oil. To make it "healthier", however somewhere along the line, the processing used to make it "taste good" ( And it sure is a commonly held opinion that MiccyD's has the best fries ) wound up making it about significantly less healthy than the original beef callow was. I don't recall the figure all too well, but it was something like three times worse, I think free-radicals were mentioned.

And besides, if I want something quick and good, I'lll have a sandwhich, either from a local deli, or from a SubWay if one is nearby. And no, I'm no "health nut" I do not order the super healthy subs. I get a ham and cheese. Although local delis let you use Meunster instead of American, so that's a plus. Plus, there's always pizza for a quick affordable junk meal.

Hey, anyone remember the McLean? <p>
I should post more...<div style="text-align:center"><span style="font-size:xx-small;">Kyle: *sips Cocoa* <br />James: ::Sips Cocoa:: <br />Eve: ::Sips Cocoa:: <br /> Cocoa; Gecko-Fencers, Reploid-bishes and Epee wielding children agree, It's the best drink on Gaera!
</span>ULTIMATE ESOTERIC ELEMENTAL
(You won't know what hit you)</div></p>

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:29 pm

What can I say?

I generally buy a coffee and pie EVERY morning at McDonald's, and I like the food. ô_o <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Christian Cordeus - Shamelessly stealing school supplies since 1993.</div></p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:38 am

Quit reviving the old topics, the pair of you.

On a related note, my mother sent me a t-shirt she got in Thailand which has the McDonalds logo but it says "McShit" instead.
<p>

Unknown

Unknown

Unread postby Unknown » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:34 am

(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Return to Discussion Forum