A question...

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Bardash Blackridge

A question...

Unread postby Bardash Blackridge » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:39 pm

Greetings from Umbagollah. i come from another community, but i am always open to join others. How many active role players do you have here?

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=bardashblackridge>Bardash] at: 2/15/04 11:41 pm

Bardash Blackridge

Re: A question...

Unread postby Bardash Blackridge » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:45 pm

Let's go with weekly.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=pdrydia>pd]  Image at: 2/15/04 11:46 pm

Bardash Blackridge

Unread postby Bardash Blackridge » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:24 am

The reason why I ask this question is because currently at the community I come from, many of our role players have left. Our community used to thrive, but now only a few faithful are left. At my community, I asked the question as to why this happened. Why have people stopped writing. After giving it some thought, I answered my own question. There was no purpose in their story, no sense of direction.

I began to look around at other communities. I stumbled upon yours and noticed your success. I was prepared to ask you how, but as I read more information about your community, the answer slapped me in the face like a slab of meat. My thoughts about needing purpose within a story is also articulated as one of your rules for good role play.

Archmage144 writes regarding the role play, "It is dramatic, it is moving, and ideally, it should have depth and purpose, clarity and direction, and meaning to its existence."

I am impressed by this comment and as I read further, I can only respect this community more as the story itself, in the words of Archmage144, "is a valuable, fragile, and precious thing."

I respect the thought of treating a new story almost like a newborn child. A new story cries just like a newborn demanding nourishment and attention in order to mature into a strong entity.

Anyway, I have written too much, and I kindly thank you for the attention you have given me.

<p>You have never been anywhere until you have been here.</p>Edited by: Bardash Blackridge at: 2/16/04 12:25 am

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:44 am

What is your definition of active? RPs daily? Weekly? Monthly? Regularly at any time interval? <p>
<center>Hello, I'm Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!
</center><small>-=- "I wanna get so drunk that I start seeing my friends as cows." -- Aya (LadyDragonClawsEDW)
-=- "If you're still able to see in colors and not in scents...you're CERTAINLY not drunk enough." -- Nakibe (Nakibe)
-=- "Don't you know the only excuse for that is being drunk!?" -- Hakaril (Archmage144)
-=- "Alcohol is good for everything." -- Banjooie</small></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:48 am

I'd say around 50. Some of our regulars are on hiatus, however. <p>
</center><small>-=- "I wanna get so drunk that I start seeing my friends as cows." -- Aya (LadyDragonClawsEDW)
-=- "If you're still able to see in colors and not in scents...you're CERTAINLY not drunk enough." -- Nakibe (Nakibe)
-=- "Don't you know the only excuse for that is being drunk!?" -- Hakaril (Archmage144)

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:08 am

Indeed. Though we all are RPers here, the board itself is not necessarily focused on RPing. First and foremost, this is a social community; there just happens to be a fairly large amount of roleplaying that goes on hereabouts. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:10 am

Well, admittedly, some of us aren't RPers...but you can probably count the number of non-RPers who are also regulars on one hand. <p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:35 am

Do stick around for a bit, you may find that you like it enough here to stay. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:24 am

Quote:
Well, admittedly, some of us aren't RPers...but you can probably count the number of non-RPers who are also regulars on one hand.
I call dibs on the middle finger.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:22 pm

Quote:
Well, admittedly, some of us aren't RPers...but you can probably count the number of non-RPers who are also regulars on one hand.
Wouldn't it be difficult to hold us all in one hand? <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:18 pm

No, no. We're regulars on one hand. Our other hands are otherwise occupied. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:22 pm

You're making it far too easy, Priam. I don't bring out the catchphrase for the easy ones...there's no challenge. <p>

I am just too damn British.

LilDragonFluffy: HOW TE FUCK DO YOU FEMININFIZE GUS?!

"The best research [for playing a drunk] is being a British actor for 20 years." - Michael Caine</p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:02 pm

Too long, didn't read. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:10 pm

Too stupid, didn't improve my opinion of you.
<p>

I am just too damn British.

LilDragonFluffy: HOW TE FUCK DO YOU FEMININFIZE GUS?!

"The best research [for playing a drunk] is being a British actor for 20 years." - Michael Caine</p>

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:23 pm

Too overdone, made me more apathetic towards you.

As to this guy...nice to meet you. Do stick around, and come in chat once in a while. Most of us are on AIM, and in the room RPGWW Chat. <p>
<span style="font-size:x-small;">"The Bible is the greatest book ever. It's filled with prostitutes, liars, conquering kings, killers, murderers, and political intrigue. How can you go wrong?" ~My preacher.</span></p>

Bardash Blackridge

Unread postby Bardash Blackridge » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:39 pm

Thank you kindly for the welcome. It is nice to meet everyone here as well. <p>________________________________________
You have never been anywhere until you have been here.</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:36 pm

And it's good to have you around as well, Mr. Blackridge. Not to mention the fact that I'm flattered that you like what I said rather a while ago (though it's still true, and I still hold the same beliefs, even if I RP a little less frequently)! <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

Bardash Blackridge

Unread postby Bardash Blackridge » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:33 am

You really should publish your thoughts on role play so we can prevent scenes similar to the one I am about to describe. I have been visiting other boards recently and I notice that every person needs to have the character that can stop time with his mere presence, summon the power of the gods with the mere flick of his wrist, and broadcast the mysteriousness that flutters about his being.

"My power is greater than yours," the black mage would say.

"You are a mere child, I am a god!" the white mage shall counter.

"Ha! HA! HAAAAA!!!!" the black mage would counter, "FEEL THE WRATH THAT CAUSES GODS TO TREMBLE AND TIME TO CEASE!!!!"

At which point a fireball of green haze would shoot out of his left nostril at the white mage.

The white mage laughs, "YOU FOOL!! YOU KNOW NOT WHAT I AM CAPABLE OF! (He is saying all of this while the fireball is threatening his doom) YOUR POWER IS THE POWER OF A MERE MORTAL!!! I HAVE TRANSCENDED BEYOND ALL POWER OF ALL THE GODS COMBINED!! YOU SHALL PERISH AS I SUMMON THE VERY FABRIC OF TIME AND SPACE TO SERVE MY COMMAND!!!!!!!!!!!"

The white mage would then spin three times, chant something inaudible, (remember the green fireball of death is still hurtling at him at a very rapid pace) and his skin would peel off of his skull. Thirty-five daggers would shoot out of both eye sockets and four red fireballs would shoot down from the sky. Then, he would open his mouth and swallow the green fireball of death only to turn around, bend over, and shoot it out of his arse.

Not to be outdone, the black mage would laugh in the very face of his impending doom and shout, "YOU CANNOT EVEN FRIGHTEN LITTLE CHILDREN...HA!"

And the battle would rage on and on until they both start accusing each other of "god moding."

Perhaps that is a dramatic overplay of what I have seen, but it happens. <p>________________________________________
You have never been anywhere until you have been here.</p>Edited by: Bardash Blackridge at: 3/4/04 9:42 am

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:59 pm

The difference between unrealism for the purposes of dramatic enrichment and godmoding is writing skill. Take it from one who, on a character duelling forum, lost most of his duels even with crazy wacky character powers. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Return to Discussion Forum