Reviving a Dead Horse: RPGWW IRC Channel

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Archmage144

Reviving a Dead Horse: RPGWW IRC Channel

Unread postby Archmage144 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:56 pm

For the past...I dunno, for a little while anyway, I've been kicking around the idea of starting an RPGWW IRC channel. I explained my viewpoint in chat as follows:

I know that in the past, suggestions for an RPGWW IRC channel have been turned down. I was against it myself, for that matter. However, I'm toying with the idea of starting one on Espernet, partly because that's also where the IRC channel for the Elysium RO server is. People seem to not like the RO discussions that crop up, so I thought it might be nice to confine them there (Espernet is also the home of the Elysium RO server's chat channel). It also might just be interesting for the non-RO players, as well, if they ever wanted to come in--in fact, I'd welcome them. I think IRC is inferior for chat RPing, though, so I'd continue to use AIM--I think many people would, in fact.

The channel's ops would be the admins, mods, and possibly a few other people, depending.

If anyone would like to raise points for/against, please do so. I'm aware this has been discussed before, but I'd like to bring it up in a positive light this time and actually support the notion. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Re: Reviving a Dead Horse: RPGWW IRC Channel

Unread postby Animala » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:12 am

Well, a point to consider:

Those who wish to participate would have to get themselves an IRC client and familiarize themselves with the interface. How great that hardship is probably depends upon the person.

I like the idea because it provides an alternative when AIM goes down, but I have to ask if what is gained is worth the effort/ Being able to mute people or kick them is very nice, and might be enough to merit the move (and it probably would be a move; no one likes to be left out, after all).

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I've used IRC before, so moving wouldn't be a big issue for me, but this has some potential to be divisive. I don't know to what extent, though, and I'm not too worried about it.

I'm mostly ambivalent.

-White Knight <p>

Behold! Sig figs!</p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:21 am

I'm all for it, irc really isn't that hard to use (especially if you use the mIRC client) and most of people's complaints about irc have been lamer/idiot/arsehole related, and if we control a chat (as we now do) we can control that completely.
<p>

I am just too damn British.

LilDragonFluffy: HOW TE FUCK DO YOU FEMININFIZE GUS?!

"The best research [for playing a drunk] is being a British actor for 20 years." - Michael Caine</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:25 am

I'm worried about the divisiveness, myself.

I'm not THE most IRC-savvy person there is, but I understand the basics and am working on learning more--most people really don't need to understand the guts of it and how it works, just how to chat and perform basic functions.

Anyone who doesn't have an IRC client can download what is probably the most standard client at http://www.mirc.com. From there, it's a simple matter of firing up mIRC, setting your nick and such, and then connecting to the server, which can be done by typing /server irc.espernet.net in the box. From there, the command /join #channel will get you into the named channel, which in this case is #RPGWW (yes, the # is a requirement, so you would type /join #RPGWW). Typing /nick "desiredname" sets your nickname. The other commands, things like /me, /msg, /dcc chat, /mode...well, they're not things you have to learn at once. I'm sure it'd be easy to pick up on the needed stuff. <p>

</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:34 am

If you want an all RO chat, you could make one on AIM (though personally I don't find the RO talk too annoying). If we want to keep unwanteds out, we could go back to the "old system" of making new chats each time we wanted one (not quite as good as being able to boot people, admittedly, but bearable).

Any of these choices, the two I mentioned or the one suggested in the original post, are going to be divisive. I think it'd be worse if we split our chats up between two programs, though.

Nothing stopping you from giving it a try, though, I guess. However, I know I'd certainly miss chatting with certain people as they begin to frequent the IRC chat and subsequently abandon the AIM chat. It'd also be sad to miss the good, non-RO conversations that will inevitably crop up in IRC.

(As a note that really doesn't fit into my argument anywhere else, we already have an alternative to the AIM chat--the EZB one--so I don't consider that a possible benefit). <p>
<center>Hello, I'm Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!
</center><small>-=- "I wanna get so drunk that I start seeing my friends as cows." -- Aya (LadyDragonClawsEDW)
-=- "If you're still able to see in colors and not in scents...you're CERTAINLY not drunk enough." -- Nakibe (Nakibe)
-=- "Don't you know the only excuse for that is being drunk!?" -- Hakaril (Archmage144)
-=- "Alcohol is good for everything." -- Banjooie</small></p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:37 am

You'd be welcome in the IRC chat as well, you realize, Dia. Hence why Mike actually referred to the measure as a move, I suppose--it is asking people to make a switch for a possible benefit. AIM is, in my opinion, still better for 1 on 1 chatting, and I think we'd still use it to RP--I think it's better for that, too. <p>

</p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:18 am

A couple things to bear in mind.

IRC usually brings with it significantly more lag than does AIM.
IRC has netsplits.
IRC has more ways to get spammed than AIM chats.
AIM has better sound-on-event triggering, so you know when someone messages you. True, you can change an IRC client to do this as well, but it's a little more difficult.
Barring Trillian, AIM has a standard universal color scheme. IRC, on the other hand, has a very customizable client interface, and where you may be putting forth blue text on purpose, it may blend with someone else's background.
IRC has a very definite and observable power structure.
You can initiate multiple instances of most IRC clients, to connect to different servers. You cannot do this with AIM (unless you use a subsidiary program like DeadAIM).
Scripts are very much more easy (and possible) to program in an IRC client. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:17 am

I dislike IRC in general. But meh, I don't care if there is an IRC channel.

I never minded RO talk all that much, myself. If I wanted to talk about something else, I would either wait or butt right in.

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:33 am

Personally, I don't like the idea. Not sure why, it just doesn't sit right with me. However, if it does come to pass, I'll likely end up using it for whatever purposes, so, whatever. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">
Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Why Barius has no family reunions.</div></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:56 am

It's already come to pass. <p>
</center><small>-=- "I wanna get so drunk that I start seeing my friends as cows." -- Aya (LadyDragonClawsEDW)
-=- "If you're still able to see in colors and not in scents...you're CERTAINLY not drunk enough." -- Nakibe (Nakibe)
-=- "Don't you know the only excuse for that is being drunk!?" -- Hakaril (Archmage144)

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:58 am

Oh. Well, in that case, I'll likely use it. Sometime. Maybe. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">
Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Why Barius has no family reunions.</div></p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:48 am

By "it's already come to pass," Dia means "it exists on the server." If no one actually chats in it, it might as well not exist, so it's not like it's an irreversible decision. I wouldn't call DM, Adam, Gus, Banj, Kate and I "RPGWW."

If the majority of the community isn't going to want to use the chat, then it doesn't really have a purpose and may as well not exist. o_o I'm not interested in creating a division between people here, it was just a thought that seemed more like a good idea now than it did at the time when it was originally proposed. <p>

</p>

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:56 am

Okay so here comes my part here.

1. I know how to IRC code half decently. Die rollers are easy to find scripts. I could probably steal one off the #ff3com server if it came to that.

2. Netsplits don't seem terribly common on espernet.

3. IRC = Adless.

4. Yes there are spammers but there are excess flood cuts. And furthermore, the window doesn't pop up to bother you. You can receive a spam message and not even notice it for hours.

5. Yes, you can end up using the same colour as someone else's background. Cripes, it's not the end of the world, you can just change it a bit. People often don't know that there are more than the 16 colours available just by putting a number higher than 16 in.

6. Dia's fervent aversion of IRC frightens me. It's a freaking service. It can be used for good or evil.

7. I -honestly- don't expect mute and kick to be used that often, except for amusing joking. I don't see RPGermany WW coming about any time soon.

8. There were only seven things :(

PriamNevhausten

Re: .

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:22 pm

On a related note, we should find out how some people seem to get 'ops' in AIM chats. Witness the catastrophe that is "Chat 1". <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:34 am

Quote:
I like IRC quite a bit more than I like Banj's obsession with changing the subject of topics to a single period

What, you actually notice subject lines? Usually when something like that happens (the subject getting replaced with something inane) it's because the damned reply page doesn't automatically duplicate the previous post's subject line if you're not expressly logged in, and will EAT YOUR POST (with mustard!) if you forget to put a subject in.

EZboard is dumb. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=priamnevhausten>PriamNevhausten</A] at: 2/3/04 4:31 pm

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:05 am

I like IRC quite a bit more than I like Banj's obsession with changing the subject of topics to a single period, HOWEVER, I wouldn't say that I like it quite as much as I like AIM. That's mostly becuase I've been using AIM longer and much more often. Lately, though, those Goddamned audio ads on AIM have been annoying the Hell out of me, and they have served to greatly lessen the gap in my affection between IRC and AIM.

Also, I used to be on IRC all the time when I "worked" at RPGamer.com, and I'm on it pretty frequently now for the Elysium chat, and I have never once recieved a single spam message. I'm not sure what people are talking about reguarding ads and IRC, but maybe I'm just really lucky or something.

Anyway, if such a thing were to exist, I would most likely participate. It's hard to know if something new is gonna work 'till you try it out. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:08 am

Then again I never get spam ads on AIM. People complain about them all the time and I just don't get them.

No idea why.
<p>

"The best research [for playing a drunk] is being a British actor for 20 years." - Michael Caine</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:08 am

... really? Huh. I was not aware.

*learns something* <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

the wonders of irc

Unread postby guest » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:39 pm

Warning, strong language and other such stuff below. The management apologises in advance, but I can't delete this...unless people want me to.

#rpgww Jak_Snide JakSnide Jak^Snide @Sprite KraKeN
#rpgww End of /NAMES list.
[11:08:PM] * Now talking in #rpgww
[11:08:PM] * Topic is 'Welcome to #RPGWW's new IRC channel! In Soviet Russia, the bans op you!'
[11:08:PM] * Set by Cappycash on Mon Feb 02 04:53:24
[11:09:PM] * Sicarius has joined #rpgww
[11:09:PM] <Sicarius> pop
[11:09:PM] * JonoDuck hands sicarius a cup of elven piss tea
[11:09:PM] * Sicarius giggles and rubs it over his tummy
[11:09:PM] <Sicarius> I WUV YOU SNUGGLE BUNNY
[11:10:PM] <JonoDuck> i love you also my elven bitch slave
[11:10:PM] <JonoDuck> lets go to a dungeon
[11:10:PM] <Sicarius> mnnnnnnnnnn... elven bitch
[11:10:PM] * JonoDuck is now at a dungeon
[11:10:PM] <Sicarius> mnnnn... slave
[11:10:PM] <JonoDuck> ahhhhhhhh
[11:10:PM] <JonoDuck> a dragon
[11:10:PM] * JonoDuck kills the dragon with his magic sword plus infinity and falls over
[11:10:PM] * Sicarius hits dragon with +10 axe
[11:10:PM] <JonoDuck> oh no
[11:10:PM] <JonoDuck> i appear to have fallen over
[11:11:PM] * Sicarius screws a night elf archer hard in a nearby bushel
[11:11:PM] * JonoDuck sets a small badger on sicarius cause he isnt roleplaying properly
[11:11:PM] <Sicarius> bah...
[11:11:PM] <JonoDuck> OOC
[11:11:PM] <JonoDuck> THIS IS OOC
[11:11:PM] * Sicarius shizzles on jono's nizzle
[11:11:PM] <JonoDuck> IM TELLING YOU IM OUT OF CHARACTER
[11:12:PM] <JonoDuck> hi mate
[11:12:PM] <Sicarius> lol!
[11:12:PM] <JonoDuck> IM GOING BACK INTO CHARACTER NOW
[11:12:PM] <JonoDuck> BACK IN CHARACTER....
[11:12:PM] <JonoDuck> NO!
[11:12:PM] <JonoDuck> *NOW!
[11:12:PM] <Sicarius> im gonna rp properly now...
[11:13:PM] <Sicarius> G'day to ye sire, i'm Andar'la Drell.
[11:13:PM] <JonoDuck> well im bob
[11:13:PM] <JonoDuck> now fuck off im raping a kitten
[11:13:PM] <Sicarius> I be searching the moore lands for the great wise white elf Nabaluum.
[11:13:PM] <JonoDuck> this is my fucking house
[11:13:PM] <JonoDuck> GET OUT
[11:14:PM] <Sicarius> That is a sacred holy kitten, I cannot stand hither anbd let ye continue.
[11:14:PM] * JonoDuck takes out his shotgun and violently bashes sicarius around the head with it
[11:14:PM] <JonoDuck> now that you're unconcious ill shoot you in the groin!
[11:14:PM] <JonoDuck> *BLAM*
[11:14:PM] <Sicarius> OOC - SHOTGUNS DONT EXIST IN THIS TIME SETTING.
[11:14:PM] <Sicarius> BIC
[11:14:PM] * mouldygoa has joined #rpgww
[11:14:PM] <JonoDuck> OOC - THEY SO FUCKING TO I MADE THEM!

{Edit - Stupid HTML]

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=suicidalsprite>Suicidal] at: 2/6/04 10:57 pm

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Re: the wonders of irc

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:54 am

Right they are so banned. I'm sorry for this, I know these guys but I swear I did not tell them about the chat room.
<p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:25 am

>__>;; <p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:03 pm

That was unintentionally funny. Really.

Also: unless I'm mistaken, doesn't Trillian have IRC support? If so, that gives me one less program to look into. <p>
[url=http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetdreamcast/sonic/music/sonic_adventure01/06_open_your_heart.mp3]Now I see what I've gotta do /
Open Your Heart /
And you will see[/url]</p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:33 pm

Way to remove the names from the IRC log there, Gus, with your HTML settings. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:33 pm

Great, let's give Dia MORE ammunition for her preposterous, nearly fanatical hatred of IRC. Wonderful, guys. <p><Chat> <Matto says, "What's up?"
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Angst."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Drama."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Betrayal."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Plushies."</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:34 pm

Fuck you, Jooie. I'm allowed to dislike IRC. <p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:26 pm

Indeed, and if it wasn't for the fact that most of my friends from England use it I wouldn't touch the thing.
<p>

Return to Discussion Forum