Reako's wierd-ass computer

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

BrainWalker
✔+

Reako's wierd-ass computer

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:58 pm

Okay, so, Reako's got this Dell system. That's not a problem. But he's got an integrated graphics card, which apparantly is a HUGE problem. It's not good enough to run FFXI, and he can't use the new grahics card he got installed because, apparantly, the integrated card overrides all other graphic accelleration hardware, and apparantly, that can't be turned off. I suppose he could tell you more about it than I can, if he ever signs on an posts anything. The whole concept of noncompliance to upgrades seems really fucking stupid, though, given that that's what PC gaming is all about.

I guess the moral here is that integrated graphics cards suck.

So, can anyone help poor Reako with his dilemma? I mean, he got FFXI for Christmas, and hasn't been able to play it yet Image

Also, this topic is partially selfish, 'cause I want to mess with character generation in FFXI. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Jak Snide

Re: Reako's wierd-ass computer

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:01 pm

I should probably not say anything and wait for someone who knows what they're talking about to say something, but as far as my feeble knowledge goes you'd need to replace the motherboard with one that doesn't have an integrated graphics card. Or do some funky stuff with the settings to install a working card, which I have no idea about.

KraKeN

Unread postby KraKeN » Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:53 pm

There should be a way for him to shut off his integrated one in the BIOS and force his computer to use his new one. But as Jak says yes a new motherboard is the only other way, but if you don't know what your doing you might as well buy a new pc for all the hassle it will cause you. It's why I hate buying prebuilt pc's it's basically a way for dell to get you to buy a new computer as opposed to a far cheaper gfx card. <p>
<div style="text-align:center"> Image<br />"Now apparently just apathetic."</div></p>

Celeste of Elvenhame

Unread postby Celeste of Elvenhame » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:08 pm

I like my Dell but I got it long before the days of forcing things like integrated graphics cards down one's throat.
<p>---------------Celeste of Elvenhame ---------------

Aaron Lewise of Guildportal: On the up side though, most of the remaining bugs are genuinely evil, sentient beings that actively dodge attempts to thwart them.</p>

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:26 pm

Step 1: Go back in time.

Step 2: Kick self in balls to prevent self from purchasing Dell.

Step 3: Steal past self's bank card and buy self a decent computer. One without the whole "NO UPGRADEY BLARG!" aspect to it.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:15 pm

Stop saying he needs to replace the motherboard.

Right click on "my computer" (presuming that something Windows 95 or higher is being used here, and not a mac or linux or something, in which case why the hell complain about not being able to play games?), then go to "properties". Go to the device manager, and find "display adapters". Turn off the stupid integrated one, turn on the one that doesn't suck. <p><center><table border=0><td>Image</td><td>

I don't know what the hell this thing is, but the chicks dig it.

</td></table></center></p>

KraKeN

Unread postby KraKeN » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:21 pm

Ahhh yes that to.... >.> <p>
<div style="text-align:center"> Image<br />"Now apparently just apathetic."</div></p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:39 pm

Actually, we've had this problem. We have a Dell with an integrated graphics card, and tried to use a VooDoo3 at one point(best in the house we can put where ever we want at this time. Hush).

We tried everything, including what Jak said. The machine refused to recognize the presence of another card. It's like, passive agressive.
"Card? What card? There's no other card. Only MY perfection. e_e"

So yeah. Kudos if it works for Reako though.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:30 am

Okay, first off, it's not Dell that sucks, it's the whole concept behind integrated hardware that's retarded.

Also, I tried FD's suggestion earlier today, but that didn't work. The problem is, as Bes has said, the thing refuses to acnowlege anything else, no matter what you do. I think the idea is to prevent stupid people from fucking anything up, but it just ends up being really stupid.

Also... dude, Bes, you tried replacing the motherboard, and even that didn't work? Sweet Jesus O.o

Anyway, apparantly there's this place around Reako's house called Microtek or some such thing wherein reside a bunch of tech geeks who live for this sort of thing. Assuming his dad doesn't beat us to it sometime this week, we're gonna take his box down there next weekend and they're gonna rip the damn thing out of there and reprogram it the hard way to accept his GeForce. I'll be surprised if not even ramapnt geekery can find a solution. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:02 am

actually, I was refering to going into set up and changing the ownership stuffs. >_>; ... We can't change it's mother board for another reason:

It's custome fit to the case, can't be removed that we know...

because all your additional boards (network, sound card, etc,) had to attach to a daughter board. That is to say, you've got your motherboard over here, and then at a bisecting angle of at one end, there's another board sticking out it must have to run. This affects the lay out of the back of the case, where you plug everything in.

In short: I do believe Dell gave us the most retarded, stupidest case and set up imaginable.

:{

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:50 am

That there is the biggest problem with Brand Name PC's. Pretty much, everything is designed so that you HAVE to go to the manufacturer to get anything added or fixed. Custom Motherboard that can't be swapped out. Parts that can't be changed. Sometimes even the system bios won't allow you into everything you need.

That said, one thing you could check for in your Bios is whether or not there's a setting for the system's 'default' video card. In my own system's bios, I have to tell it whether my video card is in a PCI slot or the AGP slot. There 'might' be such a setting, but you'd probably have to dig around in your bios settings to find it. Another thing you may want to check is if the system can recognize both cards. Normally the system should be able to recognize mutliple video cards.

Return to Discussion Forum