Hatred or tears?

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

SALSAlys

Hatred or tears?

Unread postby SALSAlys » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:13 pm

<FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Was having an argument with a friend, and both of us were pretty mad, but when we wrapped up, we were discussing kinda a weird topic.

When you're in a fight with a friend, a fight you really didn't want to happen, would you rather

a) Have them hate you

or

b) Have them cry because of you?

Dru was saying he'd rather have hatred than tears because then he felt like a scumbag, and I'm sort of the same way. It's easier for me to feel justified or to bear with anger or hatred than when I hurt somebody.

So. Other opinions?

And official question: What would you rather have a friend feel about you in an argument?</FONT><FORM method=post action="http://p068.ezboard.com/frpgww60462frm11.processVote?topicID=643.topic"><table border=0 cellpadding=3 cellspacing=0 width="55%"><tbody><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="1"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>hatred</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="2"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>tears</FONT></td></tr></tbody></table><P><input type=submit value="Vote"></form>Show results</FONT>

Jak Snide

Re: Hatred or tears?

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:16 pm

Hated, since it tends to be a passing thing. If you make someone cry it most likely means you've really got to them, and in a bad way at that.

PopoSujo

Unread postby PopoSujo » Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:18 pm

I would prefer to have someone cry, though neither is good. Hate, I think, is an emotion that can be ten times stronger than sadness or friendship. Also, once one person sheds a tear, that usually signals the "Awww I'm sorry!" talk and lots of hugs and forgiving, while if they hate you, they will refuse to forgive you and just continue on with the argument. <p>
When angry, count to ten; when very angry, swear.
-- Mark Twain

WTF?You people are so harsh..learn how to give some positive in with the negative before the world swallows you up and brings you to me and I shoot your head off and dance in your blood.
--PruePiperPheobePaige</p>

Seethe347

Unread postby Seethe347 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:25 pm

According to the Utilitarian philosophy, the greatest amount of good should be achieved with the least amount of harm. If an action results in hatred, then both people will likely become angrier at each other and the result will be greater emotional harm for both. If an action results in tears, it is more likely that those involved will make up and in fact be able to bond as closer friends, which will result in greater good. Therefore, tears is the better of the two choices. <p>That is the message.</p>

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:16 pm

Hmm, out of the two I think tears is the best option for it's more conducive to change. Hatred implies some sort of conflict and both people are trying to convince the other of their own personal viewpoint. Crying on the other hand implies the total shattering of one person's personal viewpoint, and as much as it sucks, that's a good thing for personal growth.

That and I like making people cry. BWAHAHAHAHA!

Adrin

Unread postby Adrin » Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:09 pm

Tears, definitely.

Tears means you got to them... but you give them a hug, talk for a little while, and it can eventually be fixed.

Hatred can never be fixed.

=/

Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!

Re: ...

Unread postby Nakibe » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:26 pm

I personally find that it depends on the person or persons that are involved. For me, I'm a hatred kinda guy. If I'm going to have an argument with someone, you'll probably want me to get a little mad. I just can't hold that emotion long under most normal circumstances, so its not like I'm really hurt when that happens.

I burst into tears, though... I'm going to remember the event for a long, LONG time to come. <p>
*lurks*<br /><br />Warning: The previous was a work of Chaos. Anything said above was written by a certified nut. Caution is advised<br /><br /> MY head, Dia!!! eVe</p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:00 am

I'd rather be hated, because the very idea of hatred coming from a friend due to one simple exchange of words is highly amusing to me. It would also reflect very poorly on my 'friend,' showing that they don't have what I like to refer to as 'OOC/IC distinction.' These people are never friends to me; they are 'assets.' 'Contacts,' if you will.

I'm such an uncaring fuck. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:08 am

You're confusing your emotions. Hatred is not something that passes after sleeping on it, and (in the case of actual friends) it should take one hell of an argument to inspire that.

You're thinking of anger, which will pass after a couple days, and is far preferable to tears, though granted that neither myself nor the people I associate with are the kind of people who will break down and cry over a dispute with a good friend.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:15 pm

Definately tears. It's much easier to wipe away a tear than it is to clean up a big ol' pile of hate. Besides, as people have said, tears tend to instigate resolution, whereas hatred just begets more hatred, and nothing gets solved. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Raishilliah

Unread postby Raishilliah » Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:06 pm

Probably hatred, as it really really bothers me to see people cry because of me. That and it isn't always a permanent thing (at least for the people I know) and it gets forgotten quickly... if it isn't added to. <p>

l33tPenguinePimp: I'm going to try to make a bread bowl.
KnightsofSquare: Good luck.
KnightsofSquare: I can't even make a bread play ping pong.</p>

Return to Discussion Forum