The Poincare Conjecture

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

FlamingDeth

The Poincare Conjecture

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:17 am

Tada.

So. Someone just may have solved it. At the very least, the guy who did it (possibly) isn't being a big attention whore about it. <p><center><table border=0><td>Image</td><td>

I don't know what the hell this thing is, but the chicks dig it.

</td></table></center></p>

Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!

Re: The Poincare Conjecture

Unread postby Nakibe » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:14 pm

He Actually sounds rather satisfied with just solving it. I mean, he doesn't seem to be taking the money or anything. <p>
*lurks*<br /><br />Warning: The previous was a work of Chaos. Anything said above was written by a certified nut. Caution is advised<br /><br /> MY head, Dia!!! eVe</p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:21 pm

I tried to read that little diagram they had...but I couldn't make most of the words out. What was the actually problem?
<p>

I am just too damn British.
</p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:17 pm

Let me guess. Didn't read the article, too many words? <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:24 pm

This should say a lot:

Quote:
Answering the question may help scientists better understand the shape of the universe. Beyond that, it may have no application to everyday life.

They admit that only the most brilliant math-minds can appreciate it, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. <p>---
These powerful ships have a tremendous range of fire. Their cannons do enormous amounts of damage to other naval units.</p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:37 pm

All it says is changing 2D problems to 3D...but that's really not enough detail. Especally as you can change any 2D equation to a 3D one by integrating the square of the equation and multiplying it by pi.
<p>

</p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:40 pm

Zing.

Since Gus is lazy and all. <p><center><table border=0><td>Image</td><td>

</td></table></center></p>Edited by: FlamingDeth at: 1/9/04 5:04 am

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:53 pm

I have read that 6 times now.

I have read the [url=http://www.claymath.org/Millennium_Prize_Problems/Poincare_Conjecture/_objects/Official_Problem_Description.pdf>official] too (warning, PDF).

I understand nothing.
<p>

</p>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:37 am

Just the fact that such math problems really exist makes me want to jump off a bridge ;_; <p>

<div style="text-align:center">
Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Why Barius has no family reunions.</div></p>

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:53 am

Umm, I thought it was about trying to get a 3 dimensional situation represented in a 2 dimensional light. *shrugs* Meh, whatever. I'll stick with my philosophy.

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:24 pm

I actually understand it, and I read about this about 3 months ago in Science News.

Now, if someone solves Riemann's Conjecture, then I'll be really interested. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:30 pm

See, I knew Zem would understand it. Though I'd think you'd be more interested if someone solved P ?= NP. <p><center><table border=0><td>Image</td><td>

</td></table></center></p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=flamingdeth>FlamingDeth</A] at: 1/9/04 4:30 pm

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:05 pm

Math hurts my brain. What is that problem that needs to be solved to figure out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie-pop?

Lord Hatsuma

manifold!

Unread postby Lord Hatsuma » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:38 pm

Wait, I remember this, I think. It's about figuring out whether things have 'holes' in them, right?

~Hatsuma

Zemyla

Re: manifold!

Unread postby Zemyla » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:51 am

Yes. Specifically, three-dimensional objects embedded in four-dimensional space. They've proved the cases for all the other dimensions years back. <p>-----

Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

Lord Hatsuma

totally not logged in

Unread postby Lord Hatsuma » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:19 am

Yeah, I think I filed that under, "I don't really care IF they prove this". Seemed kind of... pointless.

~Hatsuma!

Zemyla

Re: totally not logged in

Unread postby Zemyla » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:33 am

Speak for yourself. It's unlocking the mysteries of the universe. Plus, it may have applications for cosmology, the shape of the universe, and all that. <p>-----

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:34 am

That and the article said, in fact, that most people wouldn't care. It is accurate! =D <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:43 am

I kinda care ;_;

I just find myself in Gus' boat. I really don't understand the problem. The metaphor that FD linked comes closest to explaining it, I think, but I still dun get what they are saying.

Little help for a math stupid? <p>------------------
Greetings, large black person. Let us not forget to form a team up together and go into the country to inflict the pain of our karate feets on some ass of the giant lizard person.
</p>

Lord Hatsuma

explanation, I think

Unread postby Lord Hatsuma » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:15 pm

I'll go ahead and try. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2-D: Imagine some blob of a shape. Basically, can you draw it with just the one line around the perimiter? If not, then there are one or more 'holes' in the shape. We can find explicit formulae for determining whether or not something has these. Yay!

3-D: Same principle in 3-D. A sphere doesn't have any. A donut does. If you wrap some line around the outside of the donut (around the whole thing, not through the middle hole), then you can't touch every part of it. (If you wrap it through the middle of the donut, then your not really on the outside of it, since you'll never be able to pull the line off of the donut)

And of course we can extrapolate this to any dimension through magic math power.

Ajil6

Re: explanation, I think

Unread postby Ajil6 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:56 pm

Alright, now explain it so an Ajil can understand. :/ <p>[--------------------------------------------]
FETUS. I am a FETUS.</p>

Lord Hatsuma

Unread postby Lord Hatsuma » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:04 pm

Hmm. How 'bout this?

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:31 pm

So that's 2d...what about three d? Does it have a hole inside the shape or on the perimeter.
<p>

</p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:49 pm

Donut, Gus. Think of the donuts. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Lord Hatsuma

Unread postby Lord Hatsuma » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:23 am

~Hatsuma!

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:59 am

Hatsuma's lovely drawings of amoeba and their biologically defective, mutated versions cause me to reward him with a gold star. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

E Mouse

Unread postby E Mouse » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:26 pm

*totally agrees* <p>-------

E'S QUOTE OF THE WHENEVER:

"I'm here to burn the lollipops."</p>

Return to Discussion Forum