Is it me, or has society gotten dumber?..

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Waldorf Nikki
Utimate Cheese Connoisseur

Is it me, or has society gotten dumber?..

Unread postby Waldorf Nikki » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:40 am

First, read this: Jelly Bracelet.

I am lost for words. What is this world coming to? Are people... ugh! I am just so flabbergasted on this issue. I mean, I wear these damn bracelets. So are people secretly thinking I'm a slut or something? Image Somebody post your feelings on this. I'm just so disgusted by the whole concept..

*sit's in corner in fetal position* <p>------------------

I hypnotize you.

Dare to be stupid..

</p>

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Re: Is it me, or has society gotten dumber?..

Unread postby Animala » Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:04 am

My instincts tell me that this is, at worst, something that some clique of kids somewhere made up. Then it either went directly from the kids to the media or through the filter of some "concerned adult."

It really seems like the usual alarmist nonsense to me. But some people will buy that, and some people (mostly those who read and believe the news story) might interpret your bracelets that way. But I sincerely doubt that it's a widespread problem, or that it was a problem before the news story.

Something caught my eye, though. The phrase "In one common breakdown." Wait, wait, so there's more than one way of reading these? Well, crap. What if I'm travelling? Is there some sort of local guidebook to consult to be sure I'm wearing the proper local dialect? Do I need to stock several different colors so I always have the right combination? I mean, it would really stink for someone to have their desire for a meaningless make-out session misinterpreted as some sort of bizzare and painful bondage and torture fetish.

-White Knight <p>

Behold! Sig figs!</p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:40 am

Ironically, this may have, by the news's own coverage, found a way to spread nationally, or at least to a significantly larger region of the world. It seems to me that it's just something that, as Koss said, some kids just made up. Kids do that; you'd be surprised how inventive people of their (our?) age group can become with regards to forbidden acts and forbidden material. As such, each regional group tends to have pretty much their own thing, their own method of bypassing the 'forbidden' fence.

But now that this one's publicized...you can probably expect 'jelly bracelets' to be banned from a great many schools in round about seven years. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:12 am

Hmm, I don't remember them banning pop cans, and apparently with those, if you pull the tab off and have it intact (very difficult), then you can trade it in for sex.

*rolls eyes*

Lord McBastard

Unread postby Lord McBastard » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:30 am

Yeah okay, this is retarded.

No matter what you want to pull out of it and how it reflects on society, whether it's real or fake. Through and through it's retarded.

*snaps off one of Luj's blue jelly bracelets*

Aww yeah, you know what that means! <p><div style="text-align:center">
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagh'nagl fhtagn"-Call of Cthulhu</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Lex: "You know I'm wanging this argument!"</div><div style="text-align:center">Me:" ....did you say wanging...?"</div><div style="text-align:center"> Lex: "WINNING!"</div></p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:17 am

Know what probably happens? Girl wears bracelet, boy snatches bracelet, they both run off and giggle about it to their friends, without actually doing anything about it.

Welcome to middle school! <p><center><table border=0><td>Image</td><td>

I don't know what the hell this thing is, but the chicks dig it.

</td></table></center></p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:11 am

... My sister does that to tease people. Even before this thread, she went around wearing black jelly braclets. ... Except hers are really f*cking tough. You'd hurt your finger pretty good before they'd break.
And aparently, just pulling off the bracelet doesn't count. You MUST break it to get the sex act in question. o.o <p>

There's always room for Jello, Especially CHRISTMAS Jello.</p>

RebelKitsune

eehehehe...

Unread postby RebelKitsune » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:23 am

I've heard of these retarded things before... And Jason, that cracks me up. X)

PopoSujo

Re: eehehehe...

Unread postby PopoSujo » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:18 pm

Aye, I have heard of these things before, although around here you can also use bead bracelets. I thing it's purdy fawking stupid, and I doubt people think you're a slut Nikki :) <p>
When angry, count to ten; when very angry, swear.
-- Mark Twain

There's no devil, just God when he drinks.
--Tom Waits</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:02 pm

You know, I don't think it should bother anyone if someone who would rather judge your personality by your wristwear than bother spending any effort to get to know you assumes you're a slut. Mostly because in such a situation, you can assume they're a dumbass, and unlike them, be correct in your assumption. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Just Damn Evil

In all seriousness, that is REALLY retarded.

Unread postby Just Damn Evil » Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:26 pm

You only think this story is retarded because you don't know the whole truth - see, like just about everything in the world, it revolves around roleplaying.

Basically, the bracelets in question contain spells that are cast when they're broken, much like the rods in FF6. However, unlike useful spells like Quarter and Fire 3, these accessories contain self-casting spells that are clearly detrimental to the equipped girl, such as Level 3 Hug Boy or the infliction of the status effect "slutty". Although their confiscation has removed the immediate danger, I suspect that fashion void will soon be filled yet again with Charisma raising armor.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Re: In all seriousness, that is REALLY retarded.

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:01 am

This isn't the spam forum, JDE. God, I am so glad that I don't have admin powers right now. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Just Damn Evil

Re: In all seriousness, that is REALLY retarded.

Unread postby Just Damn Evil » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:14 pm

My mistake. Large groups of people thinking that bracelets alone turn children into sexually deviant whores is a damn serious matter and I was wrong to see it as anything but.

Return to Discussion Forum