Psychological Question #3

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Wolfbelly

Psychological Question #3

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:52 am

<FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>A good one this time. Please follow the instructions to the letter and try to resist reading other people's responses. First off, this question ...
Quote:
Do you feel that you are smarter than the average man (or woman if you are female)?
Now, you may answer this question with either a 'yes' or a 'no.' Once you've decided that, cast your vote AND follow up with a post describing who or what you think the average man/woman is. What job do they hold? How intelligent are they? What is their general background?</FONT><FORM method=post action="http://p068.ezboard.com/frpgww60462frm11.processVote?topicID=569.topic"><table border=0 cellpadding=3 cellspacing=0 width="55%"><tbody><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="1"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Yes</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="2"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>No</FONT></td></tr></tbody></table><P><input type=submit value="Vote"></form>Show results</FONT>

Uncle Pervy

Re: Psychological Question #3

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:46 am

Everyone who casts a vote is probably a liar :( <p>------------------
Greetings, large black person. Let us not forget to form a team up together and go into the country to inflict the pain of our karate feets on some ass of the giant lizard person.
</p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=unclepervy@rpgww60462>Uncle]&nbsp; Image at: 9/21/03 4:47 am

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:52 am

Umm ... how can you lie about a feeling? If they feel that 'yes' they're smarter, then they're admitting their true feelings, right? How do you get this 'lie' business?

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:18 am

Simple.

Lying to oneself. <p>------------------
Greetings, large black person. Let us not forget to form a team up together and go into the country to inflict the pain of our karate feets on some ass of the giant lizard person.
</p>

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:51 pm

But it's not lying if it's a feeling. If I had asked "Are you smarter than the average man" then whatever you said would be a lie. But "Do you feel that you are smarter than the average man" is a question that asks your subjective feelings on your intelligence compared to others. These subjective feelings may not coincide with whether or not that person actually IS smarter than your average guy, but so long as people go "Yes, I do feel smarter than the average guy, so I'll hit yes" or "Nah, I don't feel smarter than the average guy, so I'll hit no" no lying will take place.

SuperRube

Unread postby SuperRube » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:00 pm

This is the weirdest livejournal ever.

Also, to answer the question at hand: Yes. Cos I'm the monkey. <p>

"Carrying a ham into a room, Mr. Connery says, 'hon mono.' It basically means that the ham he carries is genuine or real. We expect nothing less."</p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=superrube>SuperRube</A] at: 9/21/03 1:03 pm

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:29 pm

Where's the "on par" option? Or is that rolled in with "no"? <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:00 pm

And what do you mean by "smarter", anyway? <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

SongstressEnlil: I think boobs are the lesser of two evils.

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse</p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:11 pm

Voted no. I may be more able at some intelectual tasks than some , but I'm worse at others. In the end, I'd say I'm fairly average myself.

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:40 pm

How are you defining Smarter? Are we on about how much people have memorised of dates and chemical reactions and everything, or are we on about common sence kinda smatrs, or both?

Or is it our own interpretation of what we think a smart man is and if we're smarter then them?

Either way cause I'm thinking of this all the time when the questions asked I can't vote.

I'd like to say yes, cause there's a part of me that views myself better then everyone else, as I'm the only one who follows my set of values and knows what I believe is important.

And another part of me doesn't think thats important to the question and understands no matter how much I think I know only what matters, other people generally know more about a whole lotta other stuff.

And another part of me says no cause I have no way of knowing what other people know so I feel they must know alot more then me when they give a correct answer to even just one simple question that i didn't know the answer for.

But then I think what the hell is an average man anyway and can't picture who this average man could be.

I know a lot of people know more about football then I do.

But I know a lot more about computers then others do.

But I don't know loads about computers like others do.

But they don't know about Anime or whatever as much as I do and SO on.

But isn't how smart you are how your able to hold information? So that way everyone seems to same - but others seem to use what they know better as well so are they smarter or just think in a certain way. and more importantly - are they the average man or not?

So yeah - no idea - and I personally view it as one of them stupid questions along the lines of "Do you think the glass is Half full or Half empty"

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:01 am

The average person has an IQ of 100.

Smarts have a depressing tendency to be measured in IQ.

My IQ is above 100. Therefore, I am smarter than the average man.

Archmage144

Re: ...

Unread postby Archmage144 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:43 am

Of course.

I've spent enough time on the internet to know that 90% of the rest of the world is probably at an IQ level where they can't even tie their shoes, much less spell the word "what." <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

Biomess

Re: ...

Unread postby Biomess » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:23 pm

I don't feel it. I know it. Unfortunately I have too high an opinion of myself ;P
Seriously, I think I may be so because everyone I know sooner o later tell me so, my grades are pretty high above average and I'm witty. I'm also single, ladies!!! (and gorgeous) ;P

Edit: Come to think of it, I've been told numerous times that it's hard to believe I'm so smart for some things and such an idiot for others. What could that mean? <p>---------------------
I hate no html comments allowed. I HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT.
</p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=biomess>Biomess</A] at: 9/22/03 10:19 pm

Lord Hatsuma

smartness

Unread postby Lord Hatsuma » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:02 pm

Yes. I am smarter than the average person because I am not ignorant and would rather learn from my mistakes than try to cling to incorrect assumptions.

~Hatsuma!

Zemyla

Re: smartness

Unread postby Zemyla » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:20 pm

Yes, I feel that I am smarter than the average person, because of:

<ul><li>IQ. I have had my IQ measured at 160-180 (tests aren't really that accurate at those levels).
<li>Other test scores. I have an SAT score of 1380 (670 verbal/710 math) and GRE of 1460 (660 verbal/800 analytical).
<li>Education. I have received bachelor's degrees in Math and Computer Science at the age of 18 and am now working on my Masters in those subjects.
<li>Knowledge. I know enough about almost any subject to be able to speak comfortably about it, and quite a bit about math, science, and computers.</ul>
Of course, according to some people, these measures don't truly determine intelligence. I say that the things they talk about, like common sense, go into the category of wisdom (like in most RPG systems). <p>-----

SongstressEnlil: I think boobs are the lesser of two evils.

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse</p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:17 am

[url=http://www.geocities.com/priamnevhausten/mensacard.txt>**SHING!!**[/url]]<span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:43 pm

3/31/2002? Why haven't you updated that card, mister? <p>

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

WE LOVES THE CHRISTMAS.</p>

Celeste of Elvenhame

Unread postby Celeste of Elvenhame » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:56 pm

he's too broke most like.

I have yet to meet a MENSA member that was not arrogant, hence the reason I still have no interest in joining. (Someday someone will have to prove that wrong, it would be nice) MENSA just makes me think of another way to have a pissing contest >.<

I have yet to vote on the issue because I don't really care about such things anymore, other than how it affects my interaction with them. And also intelligence is relative depending on what it means, I know plenty of very intelligent people IQ wise who have no street smarts or common sense.

<p>---------------Celeste of Elvenhame --------------- </p>

SuperRube

Unread postby SuperRube » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:22 pm

I'm willing to bet that they let Priam into MENSA just because of his name.

I mean, look at it. "Tokorsky". Someone saw that strange vaugly polish sounding anaglam of letters and assumed he'd become a doctor or a lawer or some such. <p>

"Carrying a ham into a room, Mr. Connery says, 'hon mono.' It basically means that the ham he carries is genuine or real. We expect nothing less."</p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:30 am

Czech, actually. And it's still misspelled, despite Mensa's levels of brainpower.

Also, I've met a great many Mensans who are not arrogant. They're, like, normal people. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Celeste of Elvenhame

Unread postby Celeste of Elvenhame » Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:57 am

It's your handwriting Priam. They can't read your chicken scratch. =D
<p>---------------Celeste of Elvenhame --------------- </p>

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:37 pm

If they're so smart, why'd they mispell 'through'? Fuckin' retards! *sterilizes MENSA members*

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:19 pm

Sorry. All the people I know are either really freakin' smart, or blindingly stupid. I don't know any average people. <p>

"Strenghten your lyre and sing
The hymn of death
The sky opens to us
They fly to the ray"

-Cante per me, Kajiura Yuki</p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:52 pm

*laughs* One I am throughly amused they have a society of people who get together cause they scored highly on some test and two

*cracks up with laughter and has to pause to calm down before continuing* I am even more amused they issue cards in this said society. HA HA

That cheered me up no end. *chuckles*

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:55 pm

I got invited to join MENSA...but I said no. Partly because it cost money...partly because I didn't want to be a nerd. I'd now actually be quite honoured to be a member.

Yes I am smarter than the average person. I went to the number 1 high school in England, I am at the number 5 University in America, I got well above average GCSE's, A levels, PSAT, SAT 1, and SAT II scores. While my grades may be low they are compared to my peers and I always test better than I am graded, so I still consider myself above average.

As for the average intelligence the best way is to look at standerdised tests. Unfortunately I've only taken the British IQ tests which have a much smaller range (goes to 160 I believe) so I only got a 128 or something (all I remember is Rowan beating me by a couple of points). Anyone know an online US test?
<p>

I am just too damn British.
</p>

sorgoth

Unread postby sorgoth » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:02 pm

The results on this poll look kind of screwy, but they might not be as far off as you think. Remember, anyone with a computer is probably from an upper middle class family and had a good education. This is a roleplaying board, which is often came to by people with at least decent writing skills.

Chances are, most people who come to this forum are more intelligent than the average man. Perhaps not by much, but probably a little more.

As for 100 being the average IQ...if you count old people who can't even remember their own names and third world people, then yes, it probably is.

In North America, though (And especially the US and Canada), the average IQ is probably closer to 107.

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:31 pm

Also, we tend to weed out the dumb ones. <p>-----

I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

GameStar7

Unread postby GameStar7 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:21 pm

Quote:
Also, we tend to weed out the dumb ones.

That was a tad arrogant I think... wow where’s all the love here? Anyway, not only do I agree with Sorgoth, I think most people with even a hint of ego will think they are smarter/stronger/faster/better at least in some way than the average person.

I voted yes, mainly because I have an IQ of like 150+. I also have ego problems, but its fun having ego problems. I think a more adequate question would be “Who here is normal?”. In that scenario, I'd vote no, like I think many others would also. Being normal is boring anyway.

Interesting fact... most people when thinking of six and asked to quickly think of a vegetable will think of a carrot. Hmm, my avatar seems to be broken. :( <p>---------------------------------------------------------------------
I keep telling myself that I'm lying to myself. But if I can't trust myself, can I trust that I'm lying to myself? What if the only lie is the part of me saying it's a lie? I can't tell, so confused... I guess I'm meant to be alone in the mirror...</p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:08 am

The problem is defining normalcy. Really, a lot of us are VERY normal. But we like to claim that we're not, and do 'insane' things for no other reason than to try to keep that label. Unfortunately, I happen to have a friend whose mother is legitimately insane, and I know of a lot of things about humans that aren't normal.

People don't WANT to be labelled as normal. Especially people our age. We want to individuate, we want to be noticed, we want to be different. Why? A great many explanations can be offered, but right now I won't bother because that particular topic bores me.

The fact of the matter is that normal can be good. It can be GREAT, in fact. Because I don't know about all of you, but I'd rather enjoy having a career later on in my years. Can a dyslexic homosexual amputee with Tourette's Syndrome get a career? Probably, but it will be far more difficult than any of us will likely find it, and the options will be much narrower.

Hey, I like this topic a lot better. Thanks, Gamestar! <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Seethe347

Unread postby Seethe347 » Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:57 pm

The average person, in my experience, tends to show less interest in absorbing information whereas I accept it readily if it comes from an authoritative source. <p>That is the message.</p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=seethe347>Seethe347</A] at: 12/14/03 3:28 pm

Iceexplosive

Unread postby Iceexplosive » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:00 am

You know I think it's hard to compare oneself to others, because we all have different qualities and attributes...but ego can undermine a smart person's intelligence.. <p><div style="text-align:center">Merry Xmas</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">and a Happy New Year</div> </p>

Return to Discussion Forum