Animation Peeves?

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Divinegon2130

Animation Peeves?

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:45 pm

I've been wondering about something.

Is there any recurring inaccuracy or quirk in animated films/shows/cartoons/whatever that makes you extremely annoyed? By "recurring inaccuracy or quirk" I mean some minor although rather easily noticeable detail that shows up in more than one series or film.

I'll tell about what annoys me in this regard once I hear some other people state theirs. <p>

Image <span style="font-size:medium;"> Quotes of the Moment: </span> <span style="font-size:xx-small;"><br /><br />=="Yeah, well STUDY THIS!!" - Sonya Blade, "Mortal Kombat"
=="Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is goin' bye bye." - Cypher, "The Matrix"<br />
View my online journal here.<br />Also, if you have a question about my characters, look here. </span></p>

pd Rydia

Re: Animation Peeves?

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:54 am

Overly small wings that still somehow support giant creatures in flight. <p>
-=- "Spammers are people too." -- SuperRube
-=- "And then the pixies of doom ate her brain. It was very tragic." -- White Knight
-=- "If it smells like a discussion, walks like a discussion, and talks like a discussion.. it's a.. duck" -- Crawling Reshiki<p><center>Image</center></p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:41 am

As a Guy who loves animation I'd have thought by now I would have some pretty big peeves - However I don't really think theres anything that majorally gets me irked.

Part of the fun of cartoons/animation is weird of wonderful things can happen all the time, by just flapping there arms a baby could learn to fly - for a split second a mans eyes can grow to three sizes bigger then his head because of shock - Hell Japanese Schoolgirls seem to be assulated by Cherry Blossoms in animation. Basically if its done well I can dig it. I love the mixing of 3D with 2D animation, I love purely rendered stuff and I love purely handdrawn things. Its all good.

I'm also very much in awe of japanese animation who always have some weird director who's willing to risk doing some very crazy shit to try stuff out. I've seen episodes of "anime" done only with primary colours - no real shading on the colours - with lots of black - and it was done extremely well.

I suppose the only thing that irks me really is when they have no animation going on, though in certain anime's it doesn't irk me that badly cause I understand they have to save money where they can. But having an half an hour episode where the only animation you see is either a standing pose being shifted along the screen - or the same three attack go over and over - can really upset me. Also when the only thing animated is a mouth can get me down as well if its takes up a long screen time.

But yeah - I'm not a fussy man when it comes to animation and sometimes the more outlandish it is the more fun I have. Now who's up for Project A-ko to see a School girl lift a 50 foot mecha? It's fantastic! <p><div style="text-align:center">Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center">Cowgirl fanboy - Barbarian Ninja - Expert Mouse Catcher - Holder of the Iron Glasses Of Doom!</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=choark>Choark</A]&nbsp; Image at: 11/29/03 6:46 am

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:56 pm

The creation of new elements in sci-fi series. For some reason, that just really gets to me. After all, there is no more room in the periodic table for any element with any useful life. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:27 pm

What happened with element 110, anyway? I heard it was *supposed* to be stable, but the incredible lack of information on it out there says otherwise. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Divinegon2130

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:43 pm

Alright, may as well vent mine.

My real peeve is when an animal character or a character with the traits of a certain species of animal has anatomy that is inconsistent with the animal in question. I don't mean extra limbs, tails, and stuff like that, and I also don't mean the hand and foot changes for anthropomorphic (or nearly so) creatures. I mean, for instance, improper placement of certain features.

Big example? Hammerhead sharks. Whenever I see one in animation, the eyes are facing forward, instead of to the sides like the actual shark's eyes do. Can't the people writing the scripts for these animations and designing the characters just leave the anatomy as it is and take it into account for certain events in the story, rather than messing up anatomy? <p>

Image <span style="font-size:medium;"> Quotes of the Moment: </span> <span style="font-size:xx-small;"><br /><br />=="Yeah, well STUDY THIS!!" - Sonya Blade, "Mortal Kombat"
=="Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is goin' bye bye." - Cypher, "The Matrix"<br />
View my online journal here.<br />Also, if you have a question about my characters, look here. </span></p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:50 pm

Priam: Element 110 has a half-life of 30 seconds. This makes it incredibly stable compared to the microsecond-lifetimes of most of the elements in that area. But it still isn't dilithium or naquada or anything like that. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:05 pm

Watching someone cook burgers underwater..
Its NOT the reason I dislike SpongeBob Squarepants, but it can aggravate me. :P <p><div style="text-align:center">
</div></p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:42 pm

Haven't you ever heard of underwater welding torches? =P I'm sure you could cook a hamburger with one! <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:28 pm

I dig Spongebob Squarepants 'cause it's so silly, and none of it makes sense. How the Hell can there be a beach with waves and surfing underwater? WHO KNOWS!! Such is the wonder of animation.

Like Cho, there isn't much that bugs me about animation. The whole point of animation is that it's an open artisitic medium where you aren't confined to the laws of reality and you can have anything do anything. It's totally awesome.

Actually, given that, the thing that pisses me off the most about animation is when the production team just doesn't try. Lack of movement, shitty art quality, and stock animation all really bug me. So do cartoons where nothing really special happens. The sort of cartoon that could just as easily (or, perhaps, more easily) have been filmed live-action. That also really bugs me. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:47 pm

You remind me of my BIGGEST animation aggravation ever. Evangelion.

Where it wasn't an actiony fight scene, it was most often two characters simply talking to eachother in strange, symbolic metatones, with the EXACT SAME IMAGE being shown for MINUTES at a time, with the only movement being a slight opening and closing of the mouth. The chin doesn't even move.

I missed about half the plot of Evangelion the first time through because those sequences were A) so incredibly numerous, and B) so goddamned BORING. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:24 pm

That's why I hate .hack//sign <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:05 pm

I'm intrested in what you'd make of Haibane (if thats its name - which it honestly might not be) now actually BW. That goes under as a cool anime for me but techically nothing much ever happens and it just be as easy to make it all live action - aside from one or two parts. Its generally an easy going afair looking into characters and the world they're in. Yes it does have animation - but theres nothing much that warrents it to be animated - other then the fact it is. People go about there daily lives and... well.. work, walk, cook and talk.

It is however damn cool - in my opinion. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center">Cowgirl fanboy - Barbarian Ninja - Expert Mouse Catcher - Holder of the Iron Glasses Of Doom!</div></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:48 pm

Well, that's a lesser evil that the other things I mentioned. It's not that such a thing can't be worthwhile, it just sort of makes me wonder why they bothered to use animation as the medium. That's more of a minor irritant than the major "Kill me now" problems that are lack of animation, shitty art quality, and stock animation.

I'd have to see it to form any kind of opinion. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:01 am

Zem: Re: Dilithium

I believe that's why it's a common belief in SF fandom that Dilithium has a 4th-dimensional molecular structure. Of course, this specific fact has never been stated canonically, but retconning things like this is what many Trek fans do best. :D <p>

"Never let your morals get in the way of doing what is right" - Salvor Hardin</p>

Lord McBastard

Unread postby Lord McBastard » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:48 am

I think declaring something impossible in regaurds to science is foolish as, more often than not, science is turned on its head by things they thought were impossible. Plus our view of the galaxy (let alone the universe) is tiny, for all we know light travels at different speeds in other places in the galaxy.

As far as I'm concerned, declaring something scientifically impossible, just because we can't do it now, is foolish. <p><div style="text-align:center">
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagh'nagl fhtagn"-Call of Cthulhu</div></p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:36 am

Brian, they use animation as a medium because it's cheaper as they don't have to do any special effects or hire regular actors to get it done. THE END.

[edit] And because there's a retarded number of anime fans out there who will buy anything that looks like anime, regardless of whether it sucks or not. <p><center><table border=0><td>Image</td><td>

I don't know what the hell this thing is, but the chicks dig it.

</td></table></center></p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=flamingdeth>FlamingDeth</A] at: 12/2/03 4:37 am

NotReakoseriously

Move along citizen

Unread postby NotReakoseriously » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:44 pm

One of my larger peeves is when, say there is a monster sitting right there, raring to attack, but the party is allowed to sit there and discuss things or do a dramatic scene about how good/bad they are doing while the monster/antagonist just sits there. Another one is the enemy/good guys sitting there while letting someone finish a spell chant, which happens all too often. I think that's about it.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Re: Move along citizen

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:02 pm

The soupbowl eyes.

AHH <p>

Creation: COMPREHENDING STUPIDITY.</p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:17 am

Anything that occurs at all in Tenchi Ni Narumon.

ANYTHING. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:14 am

Anything?

Give an example. :D <p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:44 pm

Cheeks Frankenstein Japanese Restaurant Mascots High Pitched Girl Voices Overly Cute Dress Style Inane Plot I Couldn't Force Myself To Be In Its Presence More Than Five Minutes. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:14 pm

Ouch. <p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:11 am

I dislike when cartoons try to be just like real drama and have nothing extraordinary (like powers or magic or things that would be impossilb e for real actors to do) in them. You might as well just do it with real actors then.
<p>

I am just too damn British.
</p>

Lord McBastard

Unread postby Lord McBastard » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:33 am

Gus hit a point that always bugs the crap out of me. THusly I agree with that he has to say. <p><div style="text-align:center">
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagh'nagl fhtagn"-Call of Cthulhu</div></p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:52 am

What you have to do is go to Jpan and watch some of there Live Action TV drama's. Then watch there Animated ones. Then compare the budgets. Then compare which one you prefured. The relise that as far as Japan is concerned animation is just another medium to get a story across and don't care if something is Live action or not (in general of course - not everyone thinks this unless you believe in Sterotypes). Then you will know why they do these animated Drama's.

Won't stop you disliking them of course but you'll know why they do em. Personally I like it when they do stuff like that but as has already been discovered, I'm not very picky. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center">Cowgirl fanboy - Barbarian Ninja - Expert Mouse Catcher - Holder of the Iron Glasses Of Doom!</div></p>

Return to Discussion Forum