Suggestion...

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

JoshuaDurron

Suggestion...

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:07 pm

Since the RPGWW Discussion forum is now gone, I'm assuming this is where we make suggestions. As such, I would like to make a suggestion:

We have a lot of subforums here, it's true. And we're not particularly enthusiastic about having more. Thus, I'm not sure how many will find this a good idea, but I would like to have a forum dedicated to keeping threads with people's characters and PS CharSheets in them.

When this was suggested in chat, many people said, 'But we have a place for that on the website.' True, but let's face it: With no offense intended to Brian or Adam, it's not exactly the easiest matter to get a sheet posted/updated there. They're busy guys, and don't always have the time to get to it, or forget. This will take some of the load off of their shoulders.

Another potential issue that could be raised: 'People can put them on their own webspace.' Again, true. But not everyone has webspace, or even firewalls that will let them use it effectively. Some people don't know HTML. Some people don't have the time to download advanced editing tools or the like.

So what are the benifits? As I see it, they are two-fold:
1) People can easily post and update their character sheets in a location where they are easy to edit, link to, and update.
2) If the RPer for a character is not available, and a GM has lost the link to someone's character sheet, they will not have to wait for the person to get back on and ask them for it. All they have to do is go to the appropriate forum and look.

As I see it, it would be a small matter to add a 'Character Closet' forum, or summat, just below the Shrines. Moderaters would be either the OOC moderators, or, if they don't want the job, anyone who volunteers and the Admin's trust. Feedback? <p>

"Strenghten your lyre and sing
The hymn of death
The sky opens to us
They fly to the ray"

-Cante per me, Kajiura Yuki</p>

pd Rydia

Re: Suggestion...

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:36 pm

If there were a Character Closet forum, I'd put it directly under OOC, not all the way down under the Shrines. I also think I'd put different mods for the CC forum, maybe a couple of active board members who would be active about giving feedback and checking stats on new characters.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I wouldn't mind a new subforum to this effect. <p>
-=- "Spammers are people too." -- SuperRube
-=- "And then the pixies of doom ate her brain. It was very tragic." -- White Knight
-=- "If it smells like a discussion, walks like a discussion, and talks like a discussion.. it's a.. duck" -- Crawling Reshiki<p><center>Image</center></p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:55 pm

I'm pretty good at Philsys. I'd welcome the chance to <s>abuse my power</s> give feedback.

Of course, it's the admins' decision... <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

Teal Musing

Unread postby Teal Musing » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:32 pm

I think this is a great idea and would certainly solve a problem I've been having; just where to store the 4 characters I've already got made. I don't have a website, so that option's out, unless I go to the trouble to create one. Not something I have or want to have time for just now. Also, I'd welcome constructive feedback and a little help with the ones I've got and future characters.

<p>Zemyla: May the forces of good protect you from the forces of stupidity.</p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:45 pm

There are other people besides Brian and Adam who can update sheets, you know.

Also, I like the sound of this, but would we be able to organise the threads into alphebetical order? Also, would it be a full format change for the character sheets, or would some sheets still be hosted as htm and txt files?

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:50 pm

Organization would be a bitch. Either we could post them up all willy nilly and let the poster keep track of their thread when they need to link it. Or, possibly, we could post 26 threads up, one for each letter of the alphabet, and have people post according to their username? If a GM is looking for a character, surely they know the RPer's screen name. <p>
-=- "And then the pixies of doom ate her brain. It was very tragic." -- White Knight
-=- "If it smells like a discussion, walks like a discussion, and talks like a discussion.. it's a.. duck" -- Crawling Reshiki<p><center>Image</center></p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:51 pm

I would say go ahead, if they could be organized, as Jak said, in alphabetical order.

To answer Jak second thing: If I understand you correctly, then I'd say to just leave them on the site, and if the owner of the sheets ever wants to use the character for the sheet to post said sheet here.

Edit: I like Dia's index thread idea! That would be kickin' rad. <p>
I am an <s>arrogant</s> elitist bastard.

And now, since I want to be unique like everybody else, quotes:
"People don't seem to realize, it wasn't a powerful ass poke. It was a powerful poke, to the ass!" ~ Lord McBastard
"So what you're saying is that Nintendo and Sony are in league with each other, and possibly the Red Skull?" ~ EKDS5K
</p>Edited by: FlamingDeth at: 11/10/03 8:52 pm

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:02 pm

The only problem would be with sheets that still need feedback on them.

Perhaps 13 stickied threads, two letters a piece. That would leave a good 12 spaces underneath for people to easily access feedback threads. <p>

SuperRube

Unread postby SuperRube » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:05 pm

I think it's worth metioning that anyone who wants modship over these 'reference forums' that are being suggested should keep in mind that modding them is going to involve more data entry then evil tryrany.

After all... we can't all be me. <p>
THE BROTHERHOOD OF ELITIST BASTARDS We're better then you. See if you can prove us otherwise.</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:05 pm

I approve entirely of Dia's second idea there. o_o <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:08 pm

I'm seeing a possibility of hyperlinked CS's, in a sticky thread. The initial post in the thread could contain all of the sheets' hyperlinks, and when someone posts to the thread with a new one, it would be inserted in its proper place in the list with regards to alphabetical order, and the submission-reply would be deleted. Thus, the whole list would be encapsulated within a single post, in alphabetical order, editable at any admin's or mod's leisure. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:14 pm

Priam's idea sounds good to me. It'd also help with the organization problem that's sure to arise eventually, even with seperate threads for each letter. One question, though. Are sheets currently on the site going to be copied into this forum as well? <p>

"Never let your morals get in the way of doing what is right" - Salvor Hardin</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:17 pm

To answer Idran, probably not, but maybe.

To respond to Priam, that requires whoever's posting their sheets to do so to webspace, which not everyone has (thought it's easy enough to get)...but I suppose it might work. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:19 pm

Actually, Brian, those who can't procure webspace can post their sheets up in this forum and link to that. Editting it for level ups should keep the sheet from going off the edge of the forum, methinks.

Yeah, Priam's idea works for me.

[edit] Although we'd need dedicated and active mods. <p>
-=- "If it smells like a discussion, walks like a discussion, and talks like a discussion.. it's a.. duck" -- Crawling Reshiki<p><center>Image</center></p>Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 11/10/03 9:20 pm

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:20 pm

Permanent replies to the thread can be wholly comprised of offers for bandwidth sharing, if someone has an account and offers to host other people's CSes. Other replies may be hashed out. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:44 pm

o_o;; This entire discussion went way over my head very fast, as I'm not entirely sure what is being said half the time. My idea was, everyone who wanted a piece of the forum would create one thread for their characters, and post/edit them whenever necessary. Surely, as often as we get new Philsys RPers, the forum wouldn't fill up too fast. As I said before, Mods could hunt down and remove sheets belonging to people who hadn't been heard of in three or four months. If the person returned, they could simply repost them, as common sense dictates they should keep copies of them for their own records.

However, Dia's suggestion also sounds plausible, provided competent mods can be found. I was originally planning to volunteer if the OOC mods were ruled out, but I know very little about job...

I'll leave it in the hands of the admins, I guess. <p>

The hymn of death
The sky opens to us
They fly to the ray"

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:55 am

Yeah, the idea of a stickied index and all the other threads being the character sheets (which is what your plan sounds like) sounds good to me.
<p>

Another crazy conversation between me and Jak
<p>Me: Seriously, it pees when I burn!
<p>Jak:....
<p>Me:....
<p>Jak: Don't you mean-
<p>Me: No, seriously! Here, you set my arm on fire and I'll wet my pants.
</p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:35 pm

It sounds like it has the potential for lots of lossage, though. I mean, try and find the Dark Future threads. They are so totally gone, and it wasn't even that long ago, comparatively speaking. No, we need hosted, permanent sheets. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:07 pm

Priam: Not if people keep all of their sheets on one thread, and then link them to the index thread. We have what, maybe 40 or 50 active PS RPers, if that many? That's forty or fifty threads, not nearly enough to surpass the thread limit. If people don't have all their sheets in one thread, a mod can remind them they need to keep them condensed, and delete the extra thread after a 48 hour grace period. The whole point of having a Char Closet subforum is to get around the difficulties people have getting and retaining webspace for their sheets. <p>

The hymn of death
The sky opens to us
They fly to the ray"

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:12 pm

We could always have a forum just for the sheets which is totally locked down in every way. Mods and Admins can put sheets there, and people can link to them but cannot reply or post new sheets in that forum. Then we can respond to sheets in the OOC forum.
<p>

</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:18 pm

I don't think that'll work well, Gus. <p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:25 pm

Hmm...well I recently descovered that I have some space given to me by the university...so I wouldn't mind hosting a few files (I am unsure as to how much space and exactly waht I am allowed to do with it though). It is probably the case that between a few of us we could host most, if not all, of the files.
<p>

</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:29 pm

Mm. I still like the idea of people being able to post new characters to the forum itself and not have to mess with webspace. Active character sheets aren't going to fall off the edge of the forum with people updating them with new characters, updated biographies, and level ups. And the single index thread (an idea I like) can contain a link to a thread just as easily as a link to webspace. <p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:12 pm

Gus's suggestion, while logical in one sense, doesn't really solve anything that is trying to be solved by having a forum for this sort of thing.

Also, I agree wholeheartedly. This sort of thing makes it easier for people to submit sheets and sheet updates, as well get feedback. With stickied index threads, it woudln't be hard to find everything either. Great idea. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:03 am

I see the potential for a lot of sheet sniping and so forth, as well.

We'll definately need good, dedicated, and impartial mods.

I would nominate Jak and Idran. Maybe Zem as well. I would offer my services, but I know I can't meet the impartial bit as well as I like. <p>------------------
Greetings, large black person. Let us not forget to form a team up together and go into the country to inflict the pain of our karate feets on some ass of the giant lizard person.
</p>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:07 am

I like this idea, simply because I constantly find myself looking for sheets, worrying if they're up to date, ect. I say go for it, with the second idea Dia suggested (16 sticky threads)

I'll also volunteer my services, if needed. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">
Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Why Barius has no family reunions.</div></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:10 pm

I like the idea of the character closet forum, with one stickied thread indexing hyperlinks --either to outside pages or threads-- upkept by two or three mods. Possibly the same mods as currently monitor the RP forums, if they want the responsibility of upkeeping the index thread and giving people feedback on sheets. I think that will quite work out for our purposes.

Now, does anyone want to debate this further, or can I throw the forum up without people bitching? <p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:11 pm

I for one won't bitch. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:12 pm

Well, I'm all for it. But then, it was my idea, too... <p>

The hymn of death
The sky opens to us
They fly to the ray"

SuperRube

Unread postby SuperRube » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:25 pm

I'll bitch if you want me to. After all, I like doing that. <p>
THE BROTHERHOOD OF ELITIST BASTARDS We're better then you. See if you can prove us otherwise.</p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:02 am

I'm not personally understanding all of how it works, but that's okay--I don't need to, as long as you do. No bitching here. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Return to Discussion Forum