philosophy help

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

pd Rydia

philosophy help

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:50 pm

Could someone who doesn't suck at muddling through philosophy help me understand the following passage?

Image <p>
-=- "Spammers are people too." -- SuperRube
-=- "And then the pixies of doom ate her brain. It was very tragic." -- White Knight
-=- "If it smells like a discussion, walks like a discussion, and talks like a discussion.. it's a.. duck" -- Crawling Reshiki<p><center>Image</center></p>

FlamingDeth

Re: philosophy help

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:42 pm

It'd help if we knew which parts you needed help understanding. <p>
I am an <s>arrogant</s> elitist bastard.

And now, since I want to be unique like everybody else, quotes:
"People don't seem to realize, it wasn't a powerful ass poke. It was a powerful poke, to the ass!" ~ Lord McBastard
"So what you're saying is that Nintendo and Sony are in league with each other, and possibly the Red Skull?" ~ EKDS5K
</p>

pd Rydia

:(

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:45 pm

Um, everything you see there. The whole passage. <p>
-=- "Spammers are people too." -- SuperRube
-=- "And then the pixies of doom ate her brain. It was very tragic." -- White Knight
-=- "If it smells like a discussion, walks like a discussion, and talks like a discussion.. it's a.. duck" -- Crawling Reshiki<p><center>Image</center></p>Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 11/8/03 8:47 pm

Lord Hatsuma

Here we go

Unread postby Lord Hatsuma » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:01 pm

Alright, here's how I see it:

Basically, there's a distinction between two different ways of looking at art here. On the one hand, the "modern" way, we hire fancy art critics who are supposed to use their discenrning eye to figure out what makes art 'good'. The other side is the layman's way, which is to look at the art and say, "How does that relate to me?" and then stir up emotions exclusive to yourself.

They are pretty conflicting because an expert shouldn't be partial like that, looking at art with his own eyes, because that wouldn't apply to all of the people he's judging the art for.

So to sum up, having art critics 'evaluate' art causes art to lose at least 2/3 of its meaning.

~Hatsuma!

Return to Discussion Forum