Your library?

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

SALSAlys

Your library?

Unread postby SALSAlys » Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:50 am

Ahem. I think that us, being proud happy RPGWWers that we are, tend to read a lot. Thus, what books or authors grace your personal library? Or what type of stuff do you usually check out/read/steal? =D

Personally, I like science fiction and fantasy, more fantasy, really, and have...

Lord of the Rings (classic, yo), books by Robert Asprin, Zelazney, de Camp, Heinlein, and Mercedes Lackey. Also a bit of Elizabeth Moon and that person that writes the Miles Vorkovigan or whatever the name of that science fiction series is... Lois Bujold, something like that? Also Harry Turtle Dove and Alan Foster. ^_^

Now I want to know what everybody else is reading. =D

Zemyla

Re: Your library?

Unread postby Zemyla » Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:37 am

I like science fiction and fantasy in general.

Specific favorites:
* Robert Asprin
* Alan Dean Foster
* Keith Laumer (author of the Retief series)
* others that I can't remember ;_;

I also use my library to check out technical books. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse | Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:54 am

I've read my school library's entire collection of Asimov's short stories. Not sure exactly how many books that was. Also Contact, which was a much better book than movie. Read it and bask in its superiority over its film counterpart!

I originally checked the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series out of the library before I bought my own copies, used ^_^. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:09 am

Hmmm ... *disappears in order to make a list of items on his bookshelf*

Okay now, from left to right ...
- Easy-to-Use Shamanism
- Animal Voices
- Celtic Design For Beginners
- Deepak Chopra: The Deeper Wound
- 101 Great Answers To The Toughest Interview Questions (which I've never read)
- Frankenstein
- The Book of Mormon (wtf? When'd I get that?)
- How To Meditate
- The Pocket Dictionary of Sign Language
- The Satanic Bible
- Ethics
- On Writing Well (which I've never read)
- Ontario Ghost Stories
- Houseplants
- Solutions to Selected Exercises From The Logic Book
- Norton Introduction to Literature: 8th Edition
- The Logic book
- Writers Guide to Creating a Science Fiction Universe
- Essay Writing
- A mass of Palladium books which I won't bother listing
- A mass of textbooks for a variety of introductory classes
- Two textbooks for introductory and intermediate Japanese

Mmm-hmm. Not to sure where my Necronomicon went, I had it up there somewhere. I like to place it next to the book of Mormon, and watch them fight it out (it's actually kinda boring).

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:13 am

My sig should provide the biggest clue as to my library. I've got the entire Robot-Empire-Foundation series, from "I, Robot" to "Foundation and Earth," as well as quite a few Asimov story and F&SF collections. I've got some Heinlein books as well, and quite a few Star Trek novels. Beyond that, my collection is fairly varied. <p>

"Never let your morals get in the way of doing what is right" - Salvor Hardin</p>

Lord McBastard

Unread postby Lord McBastard » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:31 am

From top left to bottem right, which is in order of preferance.

Terry Goodkind, George R. R. Martin, Harry Turtledove, Dan Abnet, William King (he entertains me, though the books aren't particularly great), Mathew Woodring Stover, David Eddings, Stephen Kenson, Terry Brooks, Brian Lumley, Larry Niven, Rpbert Asprin, Aldous Huxley, Pieres Anthony, William Gibson, George Orwell, Ian Livingston, Steve Jackson, Robert Jordan (I've never just stopped in the middle of a series before, especially so early), H.P. Lovecraft (Dream Quest of Unknown Kaddath ain't so good), and finally Richard Awlinson (I've never stopped reading a book before but this guy....yeeesh!)

Books I own, that you should read in order:
-Terry Goodkind; Wizards First Rule, favourite book series of all time, starts out like Jordan, but doesn't go into the crapper after book two.
-George R.R. Martin; A Game of Thrones, awesome, just awesome, many many characters, and many points of view.
-Harry Turtledove; In the Balance, it's an sci-fi alternate history to WWII.
-Matthew Woodring Stover; Iron Dawn, a severly underrated pair of books, the second being Jericho Moon. Basically it's set in the transition from the bronze age to the iron age, at the decline of Egyptian power. Basically all the gods are real, Ramses was infact the son of Horus, the Jew are carrying Yaweh in the Arc of the Covenant, and so on. It's about three mercenaries and their attempts to get ahead in the world, great characters, good story, and you could probably find it dirt cheap.
-Brian Lumley; Necroscope, when you die, your flesh ceases but the mind keeps going, bridge builders plan ocean spanning bridges, writers, not contrained by deadlines, write utter masterpieces perfecting every sentence and word. Harry Keogh can speak with them. Very very interesting story.
-William Gibson; Neuromancer, it's like....the cyber punk bible, baby.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four, classic, just classic.
-Robert Jordan; Eye of the World, after you read this book STOP! If I had done that, I might still have respect for Robert Jordan as an author.
-Richard Awlinson; Shadowdale, if you like self punishment this is the book for you!

Edit: Holy crap Lloyd you have the Satanic Bible? I have to borrow that sometime. <p><div style="text-align:center">
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagh'nagl fhtagn"-Call of Cthulhu</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=lordmcbastard>Lord]&nbsp; Image at: 10/26/03 3:40 am

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:46 am

Okie dokie. Tell me when your next shift is at work and I'll bring it over.

WhiteWerefox

Books? Books!

Unread postby WhiteWerefox » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:11 am

I don't read books, I read series of books. Large books.

•Anne McAffery; the Dragons of Pern books, About a dozen.
•David Weber; all the Honor Harrington books.
•Mercedes Lackey; SERRAted Edge and a lot of the Valdemar books. Looking for the one about Albrecht.
•James Clemens; Banned and the Banished series. Waiting for the paperback Wit'ch Star.
•I also have Terry's Goodkind's Wizards First Rule series, I couldn't read past the fourth book though. To random and convoluted.
•Roger Zelazney; The great Book of Amber compilation. Very Machivellian. Highly reccomended.

Also on my shelf are a couple medeval books. Armor, celtic art, Etc. A book on modern architecture's up there too, just for refrence.

Not in any series', or in a series I don't own completely, I have the "Fall of Reach", a prequel to Halo, very good. One of the Starcraft books, not to bad. "Wildside" and"Jumper" by Steven Gould, both of which are highly recommended. On Writing, Stephen Kings autobiography/how to write book, is on the shelf and had been a great influence on me. <p>From the GURPS Magic sourcebook:

When creating demons, the GM should not be bound by believablility or common sense.</p>

KraKeN

Re: Books? Books!

Unread postby KraKeN » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:57 am

None I didn't bring any books with me to university which was fucking stupid.... Image <p>
<div style="text-align:center"> Image<br />"Now apparently just apathetic."</div></p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:41 pm

I'm one of those uncultured scum who hardly ever reads, and thus, my current library consists of a book on norse myths in totality.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:08 pm

In no particular order, though I attempted to group them by author:

- A metric crapload of Douglas Adams books, including a signed hardback copy of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

- Half a dozen Calvin and Hobbes books

- Some Garfield books from back in the day when Garfield was still funny

- The Klutz Book of Juggling

- The Redwall books up to Marlfox

- Arabian Nights

- The Once and Future King

- The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Silmarillion, and various other Tolkein books

- Old Man and the Sea

- The Great Gatsby

- The Grapes of Wrath

- A Farewell to Arms

- Farenheight 451

- Brave New World

- The Giver

- The entirety of the White Mountain series

- Watership Down

- The Rape of Nanking

- The Physics of Star Trek

- Larry Niven books, including The Integral Trees, and the entirety of the Ringworld series

- Arthur C Clarke books, including the whole Space Oddesey shindig, and the entirety of the Rama series

- Lot and lots of textbooks for various classes, as I can never bring myself to get rid of them

- Various religious books, including the Koran (both translated and in the original arabic!), the book of Mormon, and the Bible (in both the original Hebrew/Greek/Latin, as well as three different english translations!)

- About two dozen Palladium RPG books, GURPS main book, 2nd and 3rd edition D&D, BESM, most of Whitewolf's World of Darkness, most of the Whitewolf's Exalted setting, Toon, most of the Amazing Engine books (also known as "the worst RPG system made EVER, and a big ol' stain on TSR's record"), and a few other random RPG books <p>
I am an <s>arrogant</s> elitist bastard.

And now, since I want to be unique like everybody else, quotes:
"People don't seem to realize, it wasn't a powerful ass poke. It was a powerful poke, to the ass!" ~ Lord McBastard
"So what you're saying is that Nintendo and Sony are in league with each other, and possibly the Red Skull?" ~ EKDS5K
</p>

PopoSujo

Unread postby PopoSujo » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:50 pm

Zelazney, Calvin and Hobbes, Robert Jordan, David Eddings, Tolkien, George R.R. Martin, Piers Anthony, the Left Behind series, Anne Rice, and a lot of other books.

I am big on sci-fi and fantasy, and we have a library that takes up the whole closet. <p>

The Media is an organization in the same sense that Ohio is a team. -PriamNevhausten</p>

Darkblade2000us

Unread postby Darkblade2000us » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:16 am

I really liked Macbeth and Hamlet, but unfortunately the only few other things I like are comics.

Especially Goldigger!

WillBaseton
Self-Proclaimed Gaming Guru

Unread postby WillBaseton » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:53 am

In my dorm...I don't have many BOOKS. I mainly have manga. As for the books I DO have...

Lord of the Rings (all three books)
The Silmarillion (yes, I'm a Tolkien whore)
Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa

I told you I didn't have many. And I won't list all of my manga here, as it's 2 in the morning and I'm tired. Maybe some other time, in a thread about manga. <p>
Dragons own you. Don't even waste your time trying to argue.

"Why the hell are goons with swords so rare these days?" - Jak Snide</p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:31 am

As far as fiction goes, I mostly have cyberpunk books (predominantly William Gibson, if for no other reason than the sheer volume of books he has writtten), with a little Terry Goodkind and Brian Jacques as relics of my reading habits of years ago. Now, though, my leisure reading is almost completely confined to RPG sourcebooks--as such, I have the RuneQuest source materials, AD&D2e as well as D&D3e (with the Psionics Handbook on lend from a friend), a lent Way of the Crane (from the same friend), Sovereign Stone, Mage: The Ascension, and Unknown Armies 2e. Systems will never ever cease to intrigue me. Blame it on my personality type. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

PopoSujo

Unread postby PopoSujo » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:10 pm

I know how that is with the source books. I have all the D&D 3e and 3.5e, several of the Vampire: The Dark Age and Vampire: The Masquerade books, the basic Werewolf: The Apocalypse book, who knows how many monster compendiums, some Cyber Punk stuff I haven't gotten around to reading yet, and some Warhammer 40k stuff I also haven't read yet. <p>

The Media is an organization in the same sense that Ohio is a team. -PriamNevhausten</p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:48 pm

Yeah, I got CP2020 2e myself, though it's on a 3-year-long loan to a friend at the current moment @.@ <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

PopoSujo

Unread postby PopoSujo » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:26 pm

Why don't you just give it to him then? <p>

Dalin Rifthome

Biased?

Unread postby Dalin Rifthome » Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:18 pm

R.A Salvatore.

Goldor

Re: Biased?

Unread postby Goldor » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:00 am

Good god if I listed all my books I would be Here till i was an old man.. Favorites though are Wheel of time series and the Sword of truth series... The latter being the better. <p>Edited" alt="Image" />Goldor</A> at: 10/28/03 2:47 am

Vampire Jester Jinx

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:22 am

I have way too damn many books to list. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">
Happy Halloween, you bastards!
</div></p>

PopoSujo

Unread postby PopoSujo » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:08 am

Goldor, those are my favorite series two, alongside Redwall.

I got a little frustrated with the later books in the Sword of Truth series tho. It's like he recycles the plot: big evil things happen, Richard fights, almost loses, awakens brand-spankin' new powers, defeats evil. <p>

TheOtherChris

Unread postby TheOtherChris » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:49 pm

My favorite authors(I won't list the books because I have a ton) are:

Michael Crichton
Robert Ludlum
Dean Koontz
Tom Clancy
and John Grisham(sp?) <p>It is I! Anron- only in a new name! My Other name got Globally Banned!! XD

Image</p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:54 pm

Not much, really. The last book I read outside of School-issued text is Dreamcatcher by Stephen King, which was pretty good.

I'm interested in reading Ring, though. Has anyone else read it yet? If so, how is it?

Raishilliah

Too many! Too many, I tell you!

Unread postby Raishilliah » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:05 pm

I have too waaay too many books to list here, so instead I'll list a few serieses (sp?).

The Harry Potter, Redwall, and Lord of the Rings books. <p>

Sweet mother of an apple pie on steroids! -Blaze Yamato Spirit

I promise I don't bite... too hard. -Me!

If at first you don't succeed, type, type again.</p>

PopoSujo

Re: Too many! Too many, I tell you!

Unread postby PopoSujo » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:51 pm

What's the Ring?
<p>

Dalin Rifthome

Unread postby Dalin Rifthome » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:01 pm

Your joking right?

In case your not.. *Shoots popo for living under a rock* <p>------------------
"There is nothin' as sure in the world as the glitter of gold and the treachery of Elves."
- Old Dwarf Saying
</p>

PopoSujo

Unread postby PopoSujo » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:31 pm

Do you mean the Lord of the Rings?

If not *shoots back* <p>

Biomess

Unread postby Biomess » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:35 pm

I have several Agatha Christie's books (gotta lovee Poirot), the whole Tolkien bunch (LotR, Hobbit, Silmarillion, Complete guide to Middle Earth- I know it's like an encyclopedia, but it's entertaining), Asimov (Buy Jupiter, amongst others), Sagan, Asterix and Obelix, Mafalda (is the title of a great comic book famous in these parts of the world, author alias' Quino) Also I've read lots of others I don't remember very well (I have them stored somewhere and am too lazy to search): There was this one book about a Homo sapiens girl that is raised by a Homo erectus family, and all the stuff that happens, really accurate anthropologically. There was this other book from Ian McDonald (I think) that translates to something like "Road Desolation". Really good. <p>---------------------
I hate no html comments allowed. I HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT.
</p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:05 pm

To Popo:

Ring, by Koji Suzuki.

It was the inspiration for the original Japanese series of movies which ultimately led to the American remake.

THERE YOU HAVE IT, YOU BRUTE.

PopoSujo

Re: ..

Unread postby PopoSujo » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:38 pm

As in, The Ring? *hasn't clicked link yet* <p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:04 am

.. the title is RING. Not 'The' Ring. Just Ring.

Just as with Uzumaki - SPIRAL. It shouldn't be 'The' Spiral. Just Spiral.

Or Kairo. Pulse. Not 'The' Pulse. Pulse

PS: SEVEN DAYS. <p>

The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
- Silent Hill</p>

PopoSujo

Unread postby PopoSujo » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:10 am

That last post really hurt my head Reshiki *cries* <p>

Goldor

Unread postby Goldor » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:04 am

Goldor, those are my favorite series two, alongside Redwall.

I got a little frustrated with the later books in the Sword of Truth series tho. It's like he recycles the plot: big evil things happen, Richard fights, almost loses, awakens brand-spankin' new powers, defeats evil.

In the later books I did notice this but i still love them :D <p>Image

PopoSujo

Unread postby PopoSujo » Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:42 am

Aye, they're still good books. I personally like the one where he teaches the girls to feed chipmunks with acorns, hehe. <p>

Firnthuleien

Re: My dear goodness....

Unread postby Firnthuleien » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:10 pm

Perhaps this was not a good idea for me to come into this thread.....But :D oh well! Image I shall make spaces between the different sets of books :D

~Green Rider

~Virtual Mode
~Fractal Mode
~Chaos Mode

~The Dog Wizard

~The Hobbit
~LoTR: The fellowship of the ring
~LoTR: The two towers
~LoTR: Return of the king

~The Dragonbone Chair
~The Stone of Farewell
~To Green Angel Tower Part1
~To Green Angel Tower Part2

~Tailchaser's Song

~Ill Met by Moonlight

~Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (XD)~

~Aeromancer

~Elf Fantastic

~Alien Pets

~The Farthest Shore

~Dune
~Children of Dune
~Heretics of Dune

~Watership Down
~Tales of Watership Down

~The Green Millenium

~Magicats

~The Black Beast
~The Silver Sun
~The Golden Swan
~The Sable Moon
~The White Hart

~A Voice for Princess

~ A whole whack of Marrion Zimmer Bradley books ^^;

~#1-4 in the Circle of Light series

~3 Rose Meres Choose your own adventure DnD books (Old stuff XD)

~The Best Cat Ever

~Witches Cat

~The Bravest Thing

~The Wind's Twelve Quarters

~Academe and Alchemy

~#1-52 of Nancy Drew :D

~I, Houdini (A hamster, not the magician XD)

~ Several Boxcar Children books

~ Several Babysitters Club books (XD)

~Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes

And last but not least

~A Where's Waldo book XD XD

Obsessive much, mm? ^^;? And I even shortened the list alot too :P Alot of my books be in the living room as well. <p><div style="text-align:center"> Image
(9:58:37 PM) Shinigori has entered the room.
DWSage008 (9:58:39 PM): I'm disturbed. How about you?
</div></p>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:18 pm

Let's see....

In my expansion of books, I currently have....

The Shining (Stephen King)
Carrie (Stephen King)
Pet Cemetary (Stephen King)
The Green Mile (Stephen King)
Cujo (Stephen King)
The Gunslinger- The Dark Tower Part One (Stephen King)

....And something else I can't remember.

Notice a trend? <p>

Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Two heroes, two villains and a catboy...Life doesn't get much better than this....</div></p>

PopoSujo

Unread postby PopoSujo » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:57 pm

Those all have vowels in them! <p>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:47 pm

You make me want to murder you. :( <p>

Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Two heroes, two villains and a catboy...Life doesn't get much better than this....</div></p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:44 pm

Shini has earned my respect. :D <p>

The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
- Silent Hill</p>

Next

Return to Discussion Forum