I just can't win.

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Rainbow Fright

I just can't win.

Unread postby Rainbow Fright » Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:23 pm

www.deadjournal.com/users/feigned_sadness/

Just look at it, and you'll see why. I just CAN'T win against the forces of all-encompassing stupidity. <p><div style="text-align:center">"Hey mother look at me,
I made my connection
As I'm steppin' into heaven
Hey, don't you pity me
I'll put on perfection
As I'm steppin' into heaven"
- Zilch,"Into Heaven"</div></p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Re: I just can't win.

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:17 pm

Wow, I was actually offended by that. That's pretty impressive. It's been quite some time since that's happened. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Why sign in

Unread postby Why sign in » Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:47 pm

Offended by what? My language? My sentiments? Well, I'm sorry if you were offended, but it's kinda my journal and there *will* be various nastiness scattered throughout it. Bear in mind however, that I'm a little angry right now, and will be for some time. After all, I'm dealing with a highly obstinate individual who won't let me or my sister get a word in edgewise in a conversation because we're "heathens". A person who doesn't see that the situation this child is going to get flung into is highly dangerous and he can *easily* get hurt or worse, since he doesn't know how to pay attention, and she's doing absolutely *nothing* to help prevent that from happening. And *if* something happens to him, she'll turn around and point fingers at mom, my sister and me, saying that *we* didn't "prepare him properly" when she herself impeded us doing so. I'm sorry if I'm a little low on patience for someone whose fixated on a mythical little old man in the sky. That little old man isn't going to get this kid to and from school safely, nor is he going to see to it that he won't get jumped by groups of people who don't like the way he looks or acts either. In short, it's kinda pointless for her to drag him off for another meaningless play rather than letting the "heathen" teach him how to get to school and back in one piece. Pointless and dangerous on top of that. I'd rather not come home one day and hear that my nephew's in the hospital or worse because she had to go ahead and put him in this play.

So forgive me if I'm offensive. But I'm just a little angry.

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:48 pm

Yeah, uh, ditto. I have a suggestion.

Why don't you yell "fuck stupid people" instead of "fuck God," because it certainly isn't His fault! <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

Kadrin77

Unread postby Kadrin77 » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:41 pm

AM's right.

God won't teach your nephew how to cross the road, true, but it's also true that God didn't tell the boy's grandma to force the poor guy into taking part in some stupid ass play.

Just watch what you say or think when you're angry, 'kay?

BrainWalker
✔+

Re: ...

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:44 pm

Hey, I never said you weren't welcome to your opinion. You most certainly are, no matter what I might think. Of course, I reserve the right to disagree.

You're the Angsty Goth Kitty, and I respect that. I can CERTAINLY understand your frustration with your grandmother, but you can't fault God for a few of his zealatous followers. That's like saying that cheese is evil because some people choked to death on it.

Of course, I don't expect you to care much about God, but it'd be nice if you'd care about some of the people who do. We aren't all bad, you know. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Rain

Unread postby Rain » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:44 pm

Funny, I kinda thought I could say whatever I wanted on my own journal. Especially considering I don't believe in censorship for the purpose of making everyone else feel better. You know, if I have to watch what I say just to please the masses of people whose beliefs I don't share, then maybe I don't belong here anymore.

Oh well. I guess that's that then.

SuperRube

Unread postby SuperRube » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:46 pm

Let's hear it for knee-jerk reactions. <p>

"Carrying a ham into a room, Mr. Connery says, 'hon mono.' It basically means that the ham he carries is genuine or real. We expect nothing less."</p>

Kadrin77

Unread postby Kadrin77 » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:48 pm

You're twisting our words, Rain. We didn't mean THAT. Calm down, damnit.

And I only told you to watch what you say since you could end up losing many friends. NOT because I don't want you to say whatever you want.

SuperRube

Unread postby SuperRube » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:59 pm

No, no... he's trying to censor you. He's one of them, you know.

Stand up to the man. <p>

"Carrying a ham into a room, Mr. Connery says, 'hon mono.' It basically means that the ham he carries is genuine or real. We expect nothing less."</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:45 pm

Yeah. We are, after all, trying to oppress you and cram you into a little box where you won't be allowed to think what you want, as you will be chained to the boiler and forced to make origami ocelots while wearing plate gauntlets.

There's no way we could be trying to make a point, or suggest that your horizons are (evidently) just as narrow as ours! We just want to repress your creative urges.

Feel free to blame God for that, too! <p>

</p>

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:53 pm

Yes, it is your own online journal. You have a right to say whatever the hell you want.

HOWEVER...

Everybody else has a right to disagree with what you say, as well.

I also had something funny and witty to say about all this, but...meh. <p>

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">
"Hear all Hear All! I dub this man The Angst Mysterious Bloke of the party! May he now and forever more been known as this! Ask not his past, for it is probably overly tragic and boring. Ask not his name for it is more mysterious not to know it! And ask not of his powers for it is hiding behind a hood cause he's too scared of what women will think of his ugly mug!"-Jenna Tymisonn, Where the Heart Is

"Queasy? Queasiness is for the weak! And the queasy!" -Jaeko</span></p>Edited by: NebulaQueen&nbsp; Image at: 8/18/03 7:54 pm

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:56 pm

Quote:
Funny, I kinda thought I could say whatever I wanted on my own journal.
You can. I just said "it would be nice". Who the Hell said you had to be nice? You can hate God, me, and religion all you want. Knock yourself out. I was just explaining why I got a little offended, since you asked. I can do that, right? <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=brainwalker>BrainWalker</A]&nbsp; Image at: 8/18/03 7:57 pm

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:26 pm

Quote:
Why don't you yell "fuck stupid people" instead of "fuck God," because it certainly isn't His fault!
Well ... technically it would be God's fault. If he created everything, then he is responsible for his creations.

Whee! Picking at minor little things is fun!

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:29 pm

It isn't God's fault if you believe in free will. Which I do. In fact, God Himself recognizes that we have a measure of free will, as we are free to act independantly from God's will!

If we weren't, after all, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place. <p>

</p>

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:48 am

True, but God's decision to give humans free will came after his decision to create mankind. He is still responsible.

Elementalist Daien

Unread postby Elementalist Daien » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:15 am

Once again, I must prove Wolfbelly wrong by saying something...

Buy a PS2. Break it to pieces. Is it the seller's fault?

No. The end.

Now, the PS2 is our lives. God is the seller/maker.

They made it so that you play on it, not break it. But you broke it. Your fault
--

If you're coming with a counter for this, you really have to be just picking holes. XP

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:42 am

If the PS2 was responsible for making the customer, then I can see how your argument might stand. But they aren't, so it doesn't.

Edit: WTF did I just write? *sigh* It's too damn hot. once more, for posterity ...

Did the seller create the customer? No. There is no connection to the seller in regards to the buyer's actions which would allow for any sort of responsibility there. Now, assuming creationism, God created people, end of story. His action, his responsibility.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=wolfbelly>Wolfbelly</A] at: 8/19/03 1:49 am

Ajil6

Unread postby Ajil6 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:15 am

<_< Seeing as I have no formal opinion, but this is so quickly becoming a "Fuck your religion" and a "no fuck your religion with my sarcasm!" thing quickly. ;.; And thusly does nothing but furthering hatred between religious and unreligious peoples in ways that are most certainly unpleasent, and not only that, but it's degraded into a flame war, I thusly ask the admins that be to lock this thread. >_> It's not my place, but like, it would probably save all parties trouble, y'know? <p>[--------------------------------------------]
FETUS. I am a FETUS.</p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=ajil6>Ajil6</A] at: 8/19/03 3:23 am

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:22 am

WTF? Religion? Okay, sure. I guess ... >_>

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:14 am

Is it just me, or has this topic turned into "Threadjacking with Buddy Christ"? <p>

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">
"Hear all Hear All! I dub this man The Angst Mysterious Bloke of the party! May he now and forever more been known as this! Ask not his past, for it is probably overly tragic and boring. Ask not his name for it is more mysterious not to know it! And ask not of his powers for it is hiding behind a hood cause he's too scared of what women will think of his ugly mug!"-Jenna Tymisonn, Where the Heart Is

"Queasy? Queasiness is for the weak! And the queasy!" -Jaeko</span></p>

Kadrin77

Unread postby Kadrin77 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:29 am

I think Ajil's right. This has degenerated into a flame war and that's just sad. Locking this thing would be a good idea, before it gets even more retarded.

Edit: And by the whole 'retarded' thing, I don't mean that what ANYONE is saying is retarded. What I mean is: What the fuck's the point of all this? As if arguing whether it's God fault or not will change anything. It's not like anyone's going to get converted or something. So maybe it'd be a good idea to lock this thing before someone says something really nasty and poor, peaceful Kadrin'll make people cry. :D

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kadrin77>Kadrin77</A] at: 8/19/03 8:42 am

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:30 am

You know, in retrospect, it probably would have been a better idea for me to try and settle this with Rain personally via IM, rather than getting all this shit stirred up.

Sorry people. This was so totally not what I intended to happen. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:00 pm

I have a better idea than locking the thread. Let's not stifle conversation, discussion, debate, or even a little anger on the discussion forum.

As a side note, Wolfbelly's statements regarding responsibility for creations and whatnot don't really apply to the point I was attempting to make in the first place, which is that many Atheists are just as closed-minded as the religious types they hate so passionately. <p>

</p>

tiny harddrive

Unread postby tiny harddrive » Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:23 pm

What I have always noticed, and hardly surprises me at all, is that; in general, those people who not only do not believe in God, but might even hate religion and Christianity altogether, are pretty much those who often have contact with people who are overly zealous and/or extreme in their views.

Now this is sad, and pretty much AM has already said this, but most of the people who fight each other on this subject are as close minded as the other side.

Now I wish those who are close minded Christians would realise that they are helping no-one with their bible thumping and name calling, and I might be so bold as to say that, in my opinion, these people do not truly uphold Christian values and ideals! When Christ was asked which of the 10 Commandements was the most important, he answered that, it was "love thy neighbour as thyself". And as you can see, calling someone a heathen, is not "loving thy neighbour", if you want to know what I think of this, then I tell you, I would never hate Rain because she doesn't believe in God, and I can understand her reasons for her anger. Of course, I do find it sad when someone doesn't believe, but that's up to them, their free will, and as far as I can, I still love them because they are my "neighbour", and that it what Jesus told us he wants us to do, and therefore, I try.

And going back to my original point; In my experience, no-one ever hated a good man. <p>"And the children of Corsica did scorn Julian, and wish pestilence upon his head." - The Book Of Julian

Upset by the dull selection of presents you received? Express your disappointment by crushing the gifts in front of your family." - Mr T/Cos the Hedgehog

</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:49 pm

TH wins.

I often wonder how it's possible for zealots to possibly believe that they are Christans when their words and actions are so often contradictory to the teachings of the word of God.

The Onion once said that the whole point of having religion is to adhere to a higher standard of living. It's quite tragic when when people use their "faith" as a crutch for hatred or subjugation, even on a small scale.

Also, just in case anyone got confused on this issue... I don't hate Rain. At all. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Not that I think anyone thought that... I'm just paranoid, is all. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=brainwalker>BrainWalker</A]&nbsp; Image at: 8/19/03 6:50 pm

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:02 am

Oh come on, my statements were at least slightly retarded.

Kotoki

Unread postby Kotoki » Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:42 pm

I think... um... That Rain should stop lumping all Christians into the same group because she has personal experience with some lousy ones.

But since everyone's pretty much said that already, I have no place in this thread.

Kadrin77

Unread postby Kadrin77 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:28 pm

Sorry, Rube and Wolfbelly. I was just being nice. :(

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:57 pm

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">I think... um... That Rain should stop lumping all Christians into the same group because she has personal experience with some lousy ones.[/quote]

Hell, I went to a religious school FULL of lousy ones, and I'm still a Christian myself. >_>; <p>

</p>

Phil

Holy crap on a stick, I'm posting!

Unread postby Phil » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:22 pm

Well, it's a bit different when you live with a hateful Christian, Brian. Christianity's done nothing but bring her pain all her life in the form of her mother, so it's pretty clear why she believes the way she does. Not that hating back is a good idea either, that hate stuff will eat you for breakfast, regurgitate you, and eat you again for lunch. And since her mother isn't going to be mature about this, she's going to have to be the mature responsible rational adult, which is hardly fair at all considering that this is supposedly her mother's job.

It's my experience that your worldview has little to nothing to do with how good of a person you are. There are good people and downright evil people in every religious/non-religious sect, so it is a bit silly to denouce entire sects or their dieties. Generalization = the bad.

In conclusion, Rube needs to go back to the spam forum, where he belongs. I'm sure they miss you there. You haven't spammed in at least 27 minutes, after all.

SuperRube

Re: Holy crap on a stick, I'm posting!

Unread postby SuperRube » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:38 pm

You're not the boss of me. <p>

Wolfbelly

Re: Holy crap on a stick, I'm posting!

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:59 am

But I am. Now go to your room!

Lord McBastard

Unread postby Lord McBastard » Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:23 am

I think she's left never to return.

However, saying that you can say anything you want in your journal is fine. But she went and advertised it on the forum. So we do have the right to complain about it's content.

As well, if Rain ever does come back let me say this. You're trying too hard to be different, and that's almost as bad as trying too hard to fit in. <p><div style="text-align:center">
Yeah with enough cheese we could blow up just about anything.-Tyler Durden (misquoted)</div></p>

SuperRube

Unread postby SuperRube » Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:03 pm

But I am. Now go to your room!

I quit. You don't pay nearly enough. <p>

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:58 pm

You know...I think the key here is that Rain voiced her opinion first privately in her DJ and wanted to share a more IMPORTANT point than her personal views on Christianity with us.

That said, she also pointed out that she was very angry and I'm sure everyone can admit to saying some very poweful and harsh things when they are angry.

I also think that people have different views is good and I think Rain doesn't hate all Christians indiscriminately but obviously in her rage she lumped them all together.

In conclusion, yeah, this thread totally went out of control and I just hope the problem that Lauren was having with her nephew gets resolved and he's all right. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">
Nekogami Character Pantheon--Deviant Art Gallery--LiveJournal</div>
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">Words to live by:
OMG PRIAM: ninja sex would be neither felt nor seen by either partner
OMG PRIAM: each would just suddenly need a smoke
Choark: Good luck there. You'll have to shit out darkness and send people into oblivion.</span></p>Edited by: Nekogami&nbsp; Image at: 8/21/03 9:04 pm

Unknown

Unknown

Unread postby Unknown » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:29 am

(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Return to Discussion Forum