The dog you never see

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

The dog you never see

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:42 am

I just got back from The Apartment at 3:30am, and when I pulled into my parking spot (read: some space on what is technically the neighbor's section of the berm), I saw, as I turned my headlights off, a dog. Very small, it reminded me of a long-haired chihuahua I once knew, except that its fur was slightly thicker and brown/white in color. Being the sucker for animals that I am, I walked towards the pup, as it meandered from the street into one of my neighbors' driveways.

I approached as it continued to wander, and I leaned over to touch it (I've been rabies vaccinated, so no worries there), whereupon it jerked--the thing hadn't noticed me at all, even when I was so close. I checked its neck--no collar, but it wasn't acting hostile in the least (thankfully). The fur was smooth, and decently clean--it hadn't been out, alone, for very long. But one eye had less of a pupil and more like an egg white, and no amount of noise seemed to attract the dog's attention--its ears never moved to perceive the sound better, and the whole neighborhood was quiet.

So there I sat, in front of a near-deaf, half-blind small dog with no collar, which I hadn't seen before in the neighborhood, at 3am when I couldn't possibly wake the neighbors to see if they recognized it.

What could I do? I walked away, and went home. And even though I know there's nothing really that I could do for this dog right now, I also know that it's going to bother me that I couldn't help SOMEHOW. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"When I started training in Gung Fu, a punch was just a punch, and a kick was just a kick.
After training for a few years, a punch was much more than a punch and a kick was more
than just a kick. Now that I have trained a long time, a punch is just a punch and
a kick is just a kick."
-Bruce Lee, "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do"</span></p>

SuperRube

Re: The dog you never see

Unread postby SuperRube » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:19 pm

That sort of happened to me and Nikki once. Only instead of a little half blind dog, it was a big old german shepard that was just wandering around the neighborhood.

We dropped it off at the animal shelters little overnight kennel things and kept our fingers crossed.

It was the only thing that came to mind. I don't know what happened to it from there. <p>

"Carrying a ham into a room, Mr. Connery says, 'hon mono.' It basically means that the ham he carries is genuine or real. We expect nothing less."</p>

Ajil6

Unread postby Ajil6 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:26 am

On graduation day I was driving home with my mom. I found a bunch of kittens in a drainage ditch that was filling with water. The kittens were soaking wet and freezing. I didn't want them to drown, so this lady, some girls, and myself tried to get them out. I helped get one out... and it bit right through my hand.

I dunno what happened to them, but the kids at the school were pushing to have the kittens left there, cause the kittens were "cute."

I think they're fucktards, it's cruel to leave them there, especially since everyone at that school sucks at driving and the ditch is right near the parking lot. <p>[--------------------------------------------]
FETUS. I am a FETUS.</p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:39 pm

I actually had something of a similar experience. On a summer camp type thing, we went on a canoeing deal down the local creek/stream thing. About halfway through the trip, some folks spotted a dog on one of the banks, and I, being the sucker-for-animals type, paddled over there with my canoemate, and tried to help this dog--it was standing on the bank, between the stream itself and about a 4' high precipice, from which it had presumably fallen. I tried to get a good hold on this dog to lift it up and onto the precipice (and not a light dog, either--a black labrador), and apparently I brushed a bare, sore spot on the back of the dog's leg. It didn't like that very much, so it turned and snapped nicely into the flesh at the base of my thumb (I still have a scar). Of course, as luck would have it, the dog had no collar...

...at least I'm immune to rabies now, though! <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"When I started training in Gung Fu, a punch was just a punch, and a kick was just a kick.
After training for a few years, a punch was much more than a punch and a kick was more
than just a kick. Now that I have trained a long time, a punch is just a punch and
a kick is just a kick."
-Bruce Lee, "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do"</span></p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:02 pm

We have a horde of demon kitties who hang around. Half-wild yard cats who would sooner bite you then be petted. About three or four adults, and at least seven kittens between them. They're too wild to adopt off, so they just hang around here. Mom feeds them. *Nods*

Wolfbelly

Unread postby Wolfbelly » Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:39 pm

I would guess that in situations like that, it's the owner deciding that it's no longer convenient to have that pet and deciding that someone will be a good samaritan and take care of it for them. Used to happen to my family all the time on the farm. You'd wake up to find some strange new cat or dog wandering around, obviously the result of someone's misguided idea of benevolence. We usually ended up shooting the animals, sad to say. <p>
"It puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again."</p>

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

KITTEN OF DOOM

Unread postby Capntastic » Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:47 pm

When I was but 6 or 7, when I lived in a terrible terrible place, I happened upon a little white kitten in a cage style trap!

I went to open the cage, and the cat lunged at me. My reflexes kicked in, and stopped it in a way that it couldnt move to bite me, but If I moved, it would get its little teeth into my flesh. So, for about a half hour, I sat there trying to figure out what to do. And then, it mewed. All cute like, as well. I let go. And then I felt an enourmous pain in my arm. The little bastard had sunk its teeth into my arm. And then it skittered away. Now, since I new about all sorts of diseases from critters such as that, I did the only thing that came to mind, which was sucking the blood out of the wound and it out. It bled a lot, but at least I dont have rabies :D!

Koneo

Poor doggie hurts my soul.

Unread postby Koneo » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:30 pm

About two days ago when I was walking to school, I saw a dog in kind of a similar plight. It was busy checking out the houses along the street, and was going to follow me, but I told it not to, and it didn't. Well-trained dog, I thought. Didn't see if it had a collar, but I don't think it had one.

Today, walking home by a different route, I saw it again. By the side of the road. Dead as a stump.

My soul is still in pain.

Zemyla

Re: Poor doggie hurts my soul.

Unread postby Zemyla » Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:46 pm

I know what you are talking about.

My family seems to attract random encounters with small furry animals. I have found four kittens (two at a time), and I have taken them all home. My mother spends time and money taking care of kittens that we randomly find.

One time, my dad found a kitten in a plastic bag in the middle of the street. Someone had thrown a bag of kittens into the street, where all but one of them had been run over. The one we rescued eventually died, but it died in a better place than it would have.

I hope that person who threw them away rots in hell. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

SongstressEnlil: I think boobs are the lesser of two evils.

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse</p>

Return to Discussion Forum