Should Marijuana be legalized?

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Dalin Rifthome

Should Marijuana be legalized?

Unread postby Dalin Rifthome » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:40 pm

Before you even START, I want you to know this is a debate my english class is having. I honestly think Im going to get some interesting feedback. Post Yes, or no, and your reason.

Please people, I honestly want your opinion on this. <p>------------------
"There is nothin' as sure in the world as the glitter of gold and the treachery of Elves."
- Old Dwarf Saying
</p>

saberlock

Re: Should Marijuana be legalized?

Unread postby saberlock » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:01 pm

Well, where I live (the Netherlands), it's already sort of legalised.

I think it's better if it's legalised. First of all, it's only softdrugs. I know it can addictive, but not coffee, alcohol, and sigarettes are more addictive. Second, if you make it illegal, you basically force it to go underground. When everyone can buy and sell it, it becomes less of a problem, and (organised) crime will lose it's interest in it.

Further, marijuana can be used for medical purposes. It can ease the pain of sick and injured people, and help treat various mental conditions. As long as you don't overdo it, marijuana is very healthy for you, and can even help prevent things like Alzheimer.

Sure, too much is very unhealthy for you, but the same can be said for a lot of legal products as well. It's just a matter of knowing when to stop. <p>

"LIVES ARE GOOD FOR YOU"
-Roger McGough</p>

Darsis AlTanis

Unread postby Darsis AlTanis » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:01 pm

I would say no.

I've seen my friends high. I don't like it. I've never tried it myself, and I have never had any desire to do so. But the main reason that I would disagree with it is that I have friends who are only not doing it because it is illegal.

On top of that, I'm a devout Christian. I can't remember the exact verse in the Bible, but there is a passage about your body being a temple to God, and so doing anything to damage it is wrong. But it is a regularly debated passage.

Basically, I don't like it anymore than I like normal smoking. You may call me prude, but its just the way I was raised, and based on experience, I'm just that way. <p>____________________________________

Random Quotage:

"Its not so much a Time Machine, as it is a... DODGEBALL CANNON!" SeaLab 2021.

"Thoughtcrime does not entail death. Thoughtcrime is death." 1984</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:09 pm

Yes, because enough people do it with relatively few ill effects that there's no real reason for the government to ban it completely. It'd be better off as a controlled substance like tobacco, with age limits--and then they could make money off it through taxes instead of drug dealers and illicit black market salesmen pocketing the funds. Plus, legalization would allow the government to regulate marijuana grown to make sure no dangerous pesticides or additives are used, making it infinitely safer.

People are going to take drugs anyway. The government might as well make it as safe as possible and make money on it. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

GameStar7

Unread postby GameStar7 » Sat Jun 07, 2003 4:44 am

Even though I'm against smoking in general, and would never smoke cigs or Marijuana, I think it should be legalized. My reasons have already been brought up by archmage though. <p>

His momma used to call em sonnyboy, but now shell call em smudge.

Master Gamer, loves telling stories, and all around nice guy.</p>

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:58 am

As probably the only person on the board who actually has any experience with marijuana, I figure I should put my two cents in. Okay, so LMB's done it too (note: we haven't done it together, yet), but he rarely posts.

I'm more of the "It's my body, I should be able to do what I want to it" line of thinking. Why should someone else, who doesn't even know me personally, get to decide what I can and can't inhale?

Anyway, if it was made legal, it would be no different from something like alcohol. Both impair your judgement, etc etc. It would be heavily regulated, with penalties for driving or being in public while heavily under the influence.

To address some of saberlock's points:

It's not actually addictive. Not physically, anyway, whereas cigarettes, alcohol, and caffiene have a physical toll on your body when you go through withdrawl. It becomes a psychological addiction, where you only think you need more of it, because you're used to having a joint before bed/dinner/whetever.

And to elaborate more on the mecicinal uses: It's actually prescribed here in Canada (I dunno about the states) for glaucoma patients, because it relieves the pressure and the pain. And cancer (I think) patients use it because it gives them an appetite when they would otherwise not eat. Plus the alzheimer's thing.

My reasons for using it are far from medicinal, though. It's fun, and everything seems worth laughing at, a blank wall is a focus of hilarity. Your hand becomes an object that needs a thorough inspection. Everything (to me anyway) looks like a videogame that has a bad framerate. And you can plow through a huge bag of chips like it's nothing.

So.

Yes, I think it should be legalized. Here in Canada, it's already on it's way. Possession of 15 grams or less has been reduced to a $400 fine and no criminal record. $150 if you're under 18. This is all Canadian money, by the way. Regardless of that, though, it may as well be legal, at least for the casual user. It's not hard to find, and your chances of getting caught for smoking it are slim to none. The gram of it sitting in my desk drawer right now can attest to that. <p>
QUOTES!

shermbob700036: kazzaa is stupid and the reason there doing it is becouse all the death <--referring to the supposed "shutting down" of kazaa

"Yay! Happy greek sex time!" ~LDC

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a pinãta, hiding among the candy and hoping the kids don't break through with the sticks." ~Master Tang

"Whoa! Whoa! Okay, you are now firing a gun at your imaginary friend near 400 gallons of nitroglycerine!" --Tyler Durden</p>

Dalin Rifthome

Unread postby Dalin Rifthome » Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:50 pm

Saberlock: Its all ready legalized for medicinal purposes, so that's a moot point. (Here in Canada at least)
Darsis AlTanis: Although I respect your beliefs, they have no place In a grade 11 English class debate. I'm not raggin on ya man.

AM: Ah yes, the whole "Capitalist" ideal. We have based much of our debate off of this sole point. But thanks anyways.

EKDS: Don't flatter yourself. I bet there are plenty of people on this board that use the drug. But hes right, here are some myths and facts about this "Hardcore" drug some of you may have not already known.

Myth: Marijuana is an addictive drug that needs treatment in order to stop.

Fact: Most regular users never find it hard to quit, and the ones that DO suffer withdrawal syndromes find the symptoms mild. The main reason "addicts" seek help in the first place, is due to a mandatory "Outpatient drug treatment [program]", to avoid being fired.

Myth: Marijuana is more damaging to your lungs then tobacco

Fact: Like tobacco smoke, Marijuana contains a number of irritants and carcinogens. However, there is NO KNOWN CASE, where Marijuana is the sole cause of lung cancer.

Myth: Marijuana is a gateway drug.

Fact: There is NO PHARMACOLOGICAL basis for "The Gateway Theory". It is nothing more than association between common and un-common drugs.

Statistics:
In 2002, 17,970 people were killed in crashes involving alcohol
Over 45,000 Canadians die each year from tobacco.
There hasn't been a single case where Marijuana has caused death.

Go here for more information.
[Edit: My bad. Spelled EKDS name wrong.] <p>------------------
"There is nothin' as sure in the world as the glitter of gold and the treachery of Elves."
- Old Dwarf Saying
</p>Edited by: Dalin Rifthome&nbsp; Image at: 6/7/03 1:17 pm

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:01 pm

Quote:
EDK: Don't flatter yourself. I bet there are plenty of people on this board that use the drug. But hes right, here are some myths and facts about this "Hardcore" drug some of you may have not already known.

Firstly, the K comes before the D. and it's followed by an S. And before you call me on bringing up such a minor issue, think. You probably wouldn't like it if I called you Dlain all the time.

Anyway. I'm not "flattering" myself. I've brought the subject up in chat multiple times, and was met with a resounding wave of apathy. Logs of conversations that I've had with various people while under the influence have been posted, and were met only with laughing, and very little actual conversation. If there are any other users on this board, they've yet to speak up. <p>
QUOTES!

shermbob700036: kazzaa is stupid and the reason there doing it is becouse all the death <--referring to the supposed "shutting down" of kazaa

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a pinãta, hiding among the candy and hoping the kids don't break through with the sticks." ~Master Tang

"Whoa! Whoa! Okay, you are now firing a gun at your imaginary friend near 400 gallons of nitroglycerine!" --Tyler Durden</p>

Dalin Rifthome

Unread postby Dalin Rifthome » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:19 pm

I didnt ask if you used the drug or not, and quite frankly I dont care. All I asked was for your opinion on weather or not we should legalized it. <p>------------------
- Old Dwarf Saying
</p>

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:25 pm

You didn't, no, but you made an issue out of it, whereas I mentioned it as background for my reasoning on why or why not it should be legalised. I could have answered with a simple "Yes," but that wouldn't have been very useful. <p>
QUOTES!

Dalin Rifthome

Unread postby Dalin Rifthome » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:30 pm

True, backround information IS usefull, but thats from personal experiance. Thats useless to me in the debate, actually, this entire topic is "useless" as I hardly think " I got my information from a RPG fourm, ^___________^" is gonna hold water. <.< <p>------------------
- Old Dwarf Saying
</p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:34 pm

Then why bother asking?

I mean, come on. You're asking for help with a school project. If people take the time to reply in the interest of aiding you, it'd be a good idea not to put them down for "assuming" something about the activities of other board members.

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:36 pm

Edit: What Jak said. More to come, but my attitude has changed since reading Jak's post and what I said is no longer what I wanted to say. <p>
QUOTES!

"Whoa! Whoa! Okay, you are now firing a gun at your imaginary friend near 400 gallons of nitroglycerine!" --Tyler Durden</p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=ekds5k>EKDS5k</A]&nbsp; Image at: 6/7/03 1:37 pm

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:42 pm

Whether or not you use any of this stuff is irrelevant. What is relevant is that you asked us for our opinions. Then you promptly told me that you don't care whether or not I use it.

The problem with your reasoning is that whether or not someone uses it is, in fact, quite relevant to the discussion at hand. Think about it. Who is more qualified to speak on the subject of marijuana? AM over there, who has only gained his information about it from either books, or observations on what others are like (though from the sounds of things, I don't think he hangs around with people who do it. again, I could be wrong)? Or me, who has all that information anyway, plus the added experience of having done it himself and knowing the effects firsthand?

If you're going to ask for my opinion, don't tell me you don't care when I give it to you. <p>
QUOTES!

Dalin Rifthome

Unread postby Dalin Rifthome » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:49 pm

Using it, and wanting it legalized, are two different subjects.

I need your opinions because I was hoping to find flaws in my own arguments, and maybe find new ways to make mine stronger.

I know many people who want it legalized. Many Adults. And MOST of them DONT smoke it.

Quote:
Whether or not you use any of this stuff is irrelevant. What is relevant is that you asked us for our opinions. Then you promptly told me that you don't care whether or not I use it.

Yeah, thats right because weither you do or not IS irrelevant, what's relevant is the opinion.

Jak: Im sorry did I miss something? What exactly did I assume?
<p>------------------
- Old Dwarf Saying
</p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=dalinrifthome@rpgww60462>Dalin]&nbsp; Image at: 6/7/03 1:52 pm

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:52 pm

However, his opinion would be a more informed one, giving that he has first hand use.

KraKeN

Unread postby KraKeN » Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:23 pm

Wow I am impressed how a relatively benign topic has turned into a thread bordering on a flame war, everyone needs to stop having to be right.... <p>
<div style="text-align:center"> Image<br />"Now apparently just apathetic."</div></p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:40 pm

*crosses arms and looks stubborn* I'll stop if they stop first.

=P

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:41 pm

Personally, from experiencing lots of people taking the crap, I'd rather it wasn't legalised. The last thing I want to see is more assholes hanging around a street giggerling at everything that passes, or just starring into space.

Frankly the effect are worse then Aclohole in the short term ( you can walk into a room with people smoking the shit and feel a little oozy ) and stuff.

However:

If i had my way I'd make cigerrettes illegal as well as alchohole as well. But this is only if I had my way and wanted to force my opinions on others. As it is I don't want to:

As long as it doesn't effect me in any way shape or form, or any of relitives or anything, I don't mind. I'll personally vote no to it, but if the majority vote yes then thats fine, I ain't going to cause a fuss. I have to much important shit to worry about and work through then think about what some punks and others want to smoke and giggle at.

=D And thats me being a bitch and putting it as bluntly as I possibly can. I've seen what drugs do and no thank you. I see what cig's are and no way, and I've seen people drink vaste amounts of achohole and all of them I'd rather die then become.

Wheeee.

Dalin Rifthome

Unread postby Dalin Rifthome » Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:49 pm

Giggleing assholes?

And Not matter How I say this, its going to sound bad.

Tell me Cho, Are all people that drink assholes? Does everyone that smoke get lung cancer?

If you answer yes you ANY of those questions so help me (Insert your preferd Deity here) I will...um...Stuff.Image

Edit: Oh right, I have no intention of starting a flame war, Im trying to be as serious as the situation allows. Chill people, its a debate. ^_^ <p>------------------
- Old Dwarf Saying
</p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=dalinrifthome@rpgww60462>Dalin]&nbsp; Image at: 6/7/03 2:51 pm

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Unread postby Animala » Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:59 pm

Ya know, it isn't necessary that everyone who uses marijuna be a "giggling assholes" for the behavior to be an issue.

Even if a minority of marijuana users become giggling assholes, any measure which increases either the number of users or how public they are about it would increase the number of giggling assholes about.

Now, I personally don't really care. Provided sufficient controls are placed upon it, it shouldn't ruin the nation. Given what EKDS has just described, driving under the influence of marijuana sounds like a bad idea, for example, although it would be even worse if reality looked like it had a high ping, rather than a low framerate. I don't want to be lag killed on the interstate.

-White Knight <p>

Behold! Sig figs!</p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:50 pm

I'm unforantly only going from experience about the assholes bit. They don't all giggle its true, but they find other ways of making total pricks of themselves.

Also from experience:

Its true it isn't addictive to the body, I won't dispute that. However, people do start needing it anyway. Mostly troubled teens when life starts really bogging down on them. Sometimes the only way some people feel like they're actually happy is under the infulence of drugs, and then only. They start taking it everyday just to feel better and it takes over there life.

Now I'm not sure how any other place would be. Corby has been accused of trafficing more drugs then London by the newspapers, so it could honestly just be my home time being full of complete wankers. But with it legalised it'll only happen moe often to younger people. Corby already has smoking problems in infant schools (4 to 7 year olds about i think) and several drinking problems in Junior schools and up.

Honetly, if the drug was legalised, a lot of decent people would probably be uneffected, however the base, the lower class, the hicks, or however else you want to decribe them, are going to get worse.

So its a matter to decide weither the pro's out weight those cons i suppose. Do you care about them? Should you caring bother as a fair few are going to end up assholes and drunks anyway and so on.

So again, to say, i'm only going by my experience of what people are like.

Dalin Rifthome

Unread postby Dalin Rifthome » Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:28 am

No, your right, Driving under the influence is a BAD idea.

And I understand Cho, your reasoning about the "Lower classes". But I still dont see how Marijuana makes their lives anyworse then they all ready are. Please, enlighten me. <p>------------------
- Old Dwarf Saying
</p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:56 am

Well I suppose the only way it would make em worse is the fact the kids are doped up more then usual. Drugs related problems will probably stem further down the age group, and you'll get kids asking you to buy them some drugs as well as beer and a fag.

You'll get the lovely bonus of evenutally having a couple of extra bums (yes only about two every country) who sit outside convience stores begging for money so they can go in and buy there next fix.

So it doesn't make it seem any different at all, only the problem (the whole There life sucks thing) has had something added to it and the point is to stop these things happening not encouraging it so all the other people in the world can have a little more fun.

Frankly the whole attitude of "Oh there lifes a bloody mess anyway, so adding more easily attainable drungs to the mix won't make them any worse" pisses me off. It won't make it worse but it certainly won't make it any better either. I know, lets give people with fucked up lives another way of escaping reality! =D!

So as far as I'm concerned when people start voting for crap like this my friends, people I know, people they all know, people who grew up in the same sort of town, are going to get even more fucked up and the best I can say that came out of it is "At least some asshole in some big house can get "High" legal now".

Excuse me while I don't jump for joy on the subject.

So what will happen, i can almost guartee it, is more people will get high, as some people don't touch the stuff only cause its illegal, however drug busts in towns like that ( it got to the point of 2 major busts every week - very bad for a town considering the amounts involved ) will not go down. People will still be getting arrested, or dead, in the same rate, cause there are "better" drugs out there that theyd rather have.

Heck, worse case senerio:

Drugs trafficing will just be getting the more dangerous stuff in more regulary and selling more of it cause there's no point in selling Marijuana anymore. So you're going to get more fucked up drugs more regularly. You're going to get people additated to the stuff a little more regularly, cause hell, half of them take it CAUSE there "fighting the power" as thats half of what the buzz is about, they're doing something they ain't meant to be.

So, thats my view. I don't think it should be lega but the whole things a touchy subjcet for me anyway. Maybe everywhere else would cope better, I don't know. I just know my home town wouldn't get made any better because of it.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=choark>Choark</A]&nbsp; Image at: 6/8/03 6:05 am

WhiteShadow

Unread postby WhiteShadow » Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:02 pm

Personally, I'm not a fan of smoking and think that cigarettes should be banned as well as marijuana, especially considering that you're more likely to find kids smoking cigarettes than marijuana.

Politically, I think having cigarettes legal and marijuana illegal is a hypocrisy - while they are different things and have different effects, they are in the same vein, with nicotine calming the nerves etc, while dope relaxes by getting high, etc. Sure, cigarettes won't have you saying you have the biggest hands in the world, but blowing secondary smoke at people is less dangerous? <p>-----------------------------------------------------
"To fall, to fall... Glorious!"</p>

Dalin Rifthome

Re: Should Marijuana be legalized?(Closed)

Unread postby Dalin Rifthome » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:08 am

All right people, heres how it went down,

I get to school today, And I ask my counceller to ask my teacher if she can let me and my partner go next day, we are SO unprepared.

She says no, and that its all up to the luck of the draw.

(She put the Subjects into a hat and drew who went first. Figures, HAD to be us. Image )

My partner and I get up there, and I deliver a powerfull speech on the Benifeits, Hell, things are looking good, and I think we might win.

Enter Naiome.

She raped our entire argument up the ass.

I must Admit people, Im STILL for the legalization of it, But DAMN! They had some fucking WICKED ASS points.

They won hands down, So, Thank you all who contributed to this topic, but I honestly think we can drop it now. We had an in class fight bewteen the "Book heads" and "Stoners" I really dont want to see that happen here. <p>------------------
- Old Dwarf Saying
</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:16 am

I'd be curious to know what their argument was, mostly because I'm curious like that. <p>

</p>

Dalin Rifthome

Unread postby Dalin Rifthome » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:21 am

They pretty much used the: Do we REALLY want another mind altering substance in our socity? They tried to use "The gateway theory" They tried to prove Crime rates will increase,

In fact, we WERE prepared for ALL of this. Its just the had a whole SHIT LOAD more information then us. They pretty much overwhelmed us with Numbers and the like. Theres only so much you can argue for, you know? <p>------------------
- Old Dwarf Saying
</p>

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:03 am

MAN that's a lame argument. It sounds to me like they just built their argument on statistics rather than actual insight. Figures.

Personally, I think the only way to know what would happen is to try it. I mean, what's wrong with just trying it out for a bit? If it doesn't work out, they can just change it back to the way it was, right? No, that's probably not the way it works.

Lord I hate politics.

Also, I agree with AM and Doc. So there. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:37 am

I don't think its as easy to take it off the market as it is to put it on. I mean people would get very pissed off over something like that taken off the market and you will get out of control protests in places. I mean you remember what happened in that place where they tried to ban alocohole?

Which is why its being considered carefully before they decide to put out there or not.

And yeah crime rate is up (for so many many reasons it like pointless to list em all), but strangly I have no idea what thats got to do with legaising Marijuana. In fact I normally get lectured by mates who are for drugs saying that if they legalised Marijuana Crime Rate would go down or something. I'm sure everyone knows that argument by now so i can't be bothered repeating it as it bores the hell out of me.

Anywho, sorry ya "lost" the whole discussion thing. Hope you had fun with it at least.

ChancellorSmartz

Unread postby ChancellorSmartz » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:35 pm

...To put it simply, marijuana should not be legalised. Here are my points:

1. Although a person has not died from smoking it first hand, but those smoking it and driving will lose perception and probably cause an accident, in agreeance with Mike.

2.I don't like second-hand smoke because it irritates me. Marijuana smoke is even worse. I know, I've smelled it and it's fucking annoying and it hurts.

3. People who operate heavy machinary should definately NOT smoke marijuana. I don't like the idea of construction workers being high at the same time they are using a jackhammer.

4. If one smoked marijuana enough, I'm pretty sure they will acquire some sort of disease of the lungs because smoke is bad in general. Whether it be smoke from a cigarette, or a burning building, I doubt marijuana will be any different.

5. Seeing it is illegal already, I don't see any true problem with it already. I never heard of a case where people got shot at because they needed marijuana that bad. Besides, resistance to the chemical in marijuana, THC (tetrahydrocannibanol), accumulates over time, and marijuana users will look for another drug that causes a high. THAT is what will kill them, them being future crack/LSD/PCP/Ectstacy users. Those people would kill or be killed by being related to the drug.

6. Not to chide anyone here who has used marijuana, because they did in fact have experience with it, but you guys need something better to do. No need to bother with pot when you guys have other hobbies, but that's my opinion. I may be depressed, but I'm not going to use illegal drugs to make me happy. Besides, its kinda expensive, and I'd rather buy anime or games with my money. <p>"Dude...you can't put salt on asians. We already taste good." -Me</p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:53 pm

1) Drinking and driving will cause you to loose perception and and potentially cause an accident too, but booze itself isn't illegal. Rather, it's illegal to drive under the influence.

2) You don't see cigarettes being made illegal to cut down on second hand smoke. To use that as a reason to keep it illegal is hypocritical with the amount of second hand smoke being generated by cigarettes.

3) I don't like the idea of construction workers being drunk at the same time as they're using a jackhammer.

4) As you said, cigarettes cause lung problems too. If you're going to keep marijuana illegal for that reason, what about cigs?

5) That is a valid point, although I doubt that'll happen to everyone who uses the drug. Some heavy smokers, perhaps, but a casual, social smoker probably won't move on to harder substances.

6) You like anime and games. Ever wonder how many people think you should have better things to do with your time than watching imported cartoons at your age and playing games?

I'm undecided in this debate myself. A good few anti-legalisation points are hypocritical, but I see no need to make it legal, since as people have said it could well cause problems, and it's generally not hard drug to obtain, nor is it one that's classed as an extremely dangerous substance by the authorities.

ChancellorSmartz

Unread postby ChancellorSmartz » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:09 pm

Well, Jak, although you did tie in alcoholism in my points, and they are valid too, but alcohol was illegal at a time in the United States. What happened was immigrants from Italy and various other "old" countries believe that the illegalization of alcohol was against their tradition of drinking wine. Thus, it spurred the Mafia and other mob groups. Then they made alcohol legal again, except they kept in mind that there are dangers to it and constantly advise the public not to over do it with drinking.

Cigarettes on the other hand, has tobacco in it, and that is a cash crop in the USA. For about a hundred years the debate on tobacco was controversal, because the South HEAVILY depend on it, seeing it was, and still is agricultural. Slavery was one of the problems of it, but in economic terms, they were crucial, not to offend anyone. Instead, nowadays they taxed the hell out of cigarettes, making them at least $4.50 a pack, I believe. So we are still are making a profit of it, but mostly from the people already addicted to cigarettes.

As for the anime and games, I only provided that as an example. It was more of a suggestion to do something more physically healthier than smoke marijuana, or cigs, or drink booze for that matter. No need for the personal attack. <p>"Dude...you can't put salt on asians. We already taste good." -Me</p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=chancellorsmartz>ChancellorSmartz</A] at: 6/10/03 1:18 pm

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:31 pm

With regard to the attack on anime and games, it wasn't personal. What do you think my hobbies consist of? *smirks* My point was that other people could tell you (and anyone else that enjoys such pursuits) that they're pointless and stupid, as well as being unhealthy in the case of gaming. Because, you know, you sit on your ass all day playing games and you end up being overweight and with glasses. Just like me. =P

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=jaksnide>Jak]&nbsp; Image at: 6/10/03 1:33 pm

Dalin Rifthome

Unread postby Dalin Rifthome » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:43 pm

Oh man, depite the ass whoopin me and my partner got, I had a blast. Actually, our opponents were fun. ^_^

One day, they were in the computerlab, and we were sitting out in the library, (The lab is another room in the Library) And I say to him: "I should go stand and look over their shoulders, you know, just to tease and stuff."

They heard me. XD I went to put my pop can in the trash, and they both looked over and turned off their screens.

Later that day, we sat next to the printer, (Two computers, one on each side) and were typing up our arguements, and we noticed one of them was looking rather disturbed, turned out, she wanted to print something, but was frigthend we were going to see it, So, we latched on to that, and kept looking at every page that came out of the machiene, Eventually she DID print something, but ran to the printer to make shure we didnt see. XD They were great. ^_^

And hey, everyone has their own opinions. But think about it, if the government was TRUELY concerned about our health, dont you think Tobacco and alcohol would be banned? You know, Dispite the riots that would ensue?
<p>------------------
- Old Dwarf Saying
</p>

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:35 pm

I'm aware that the debate is over, yes, but I'd still like to address some points.

Quote:
1. Although a person has not died from smoking it first hand, but those smoking it and driving will lose perception and probably cause an accident, in agreeance with Mike.

As Jak said, it's illegal to drink and drive. In fact, they wouldn't even have to make new laws against driving under the influence of pot, because the current laws cover anything that impairs your judgement.

Quote:
2.I don't like second-hand smoke because it irritates me. Marijuana smoke is even worse. I know, I've smelled it and it's fucking annoying and it hurts.

You're confusing "legalising" with "making it available to everyone at all times in any place." You don't see people standing out front of a building having a beer, do you? It's not legal to drink in public, what makes you think that there wouldn't be similar laws against the smoking of pot in public places?

Quote:
3. People who operate heavy machinary should definately NOT smoke marijuana. I don't like the idea of construction workers being high at the same time they are using a jackhammer.

I don't like that idea either, but see my previous two points.

Quote:
4. If one smoked marijuana enough, I'm pretty sure they will acquire some sort of disease of the lungs because smoke is bad in general. Whether it be smoke from a cigarette, or a burning building, I doubt marijuana will be any different.

....You're pretty sure I'll acquire some sort of disease? You doubt marijuana will be any different? So we should base all our laws because that's what you think will happen? Basically you're saying that you haven't done any research, but it shouldn't be legalised anyway because you don't like it.

Fortunately, I have done some research. Yes, pound for pound, marijuana is worse for your lungs than cigarettes. But consider this. An average smoker goes through a pack, or 25 cigarettes, a day. If you're going through 25 joints a month, well, that's quite a bit. And joints are typically smaller than a cigarette.

Quote:
5. Seeing it is illegal already, I don't see any true problem with it already. I never heard of a case where people got shot at because they needed marijuana that bad.

If it's not a dangerous drug, and people are doing it anyway, why not make it legal, regulated, and thus safer?

Quote:
Besides, resistance to the chemical in marijuana, THC (tetrahydrocannibanol), accumulates over time, and marijuana users will look for another drug that causes a high. THAT is what will kill them, them being future crack/LSD/PCP/Ectstacy users. Those people would kill or be killed by being related to the drug.

You're assuming a gateway theory. Which has been debunked. Most pot users who use it their whole life stick with it, and have really no desire to move onto anything else. They like the high that they get from pot, which, from what I've heard, is quite different than the high from crack, cocaine, LSD, meth, whatever. I know the feeling you get from pot is quite a bit different than the feeling you get from alcohol. People who want to get high from pot aren't going to go to something else, because it wouldn't be the same. They'd just get more pot.

Quote:
6. Not to chide anyone here who has used marijuana, because they did in fact have experience with it, but you guys need something better to do. No need to bother with pot when you guys have other hobbies, but that's my opinion. I may be depressed, but I'm not going to use illegal drugs to make me happy. Besides, its kinda expensive, and I'd rather buy anime or games with my money.

It's actually not that expensive. Last time I had some was two days ago, there was two of us, and I had spent ten bucks on the amount that we had, and we used only about half or two third or something. Ten bucks Canadian. That's an insignificant amount, even to someone who does it once or twice a month, which is more than I do anyway. The snacks that you'll be buying for when you're high, though....

Anyway, I've gotta spend my money on something, else what's the point of money, hm? I could spend it on video games, I could spend it on going out to play pool with the guys, I could spend it on pot, I could spend it on more kendo equipment, I could spend it on any number of hobbies. And any one of them could be considered to be a waste of time. After all, what do I learn from pool with the guys? Or from video games? I don't really better myself doing those, but I do them anyway. Just the same, you don't better yourself any by playing games all day or watching anime. It's the same with pot. And you laugh more.

Quote:
What happened was immigrants from Italy and various other "old" countries believe that the illegalization of alcohol was against their tradition of drinking wine. Thus, it spurred the Mafia and other mob groups. Then they made alcohol legal again, except they kept in mind that there are dangers to it and constantly advise the public not to over do it with drinking.

And that makes it okay? Because some people didn't like the fatc that it was illegal, and likely threatened people with violence to make it legal again? So if I got together everyone in the country who smoked pot, threatened a bunch of people, then it'd be alright if it was made legal? You realise this makes you sound like a giant hypocrite, right? And besides, if marijuana was made legal, people would be warned about the dangers.

Quote:
Cigarettes on the other hand, has tobacco in it, and that is a cash crop in the USA. For about a hundred years the debate on tobacco was controversal, because the South HEAVILY depend on it, seeing it was, and still is agricultural. Slavery was one of the problems of it, but in economic terms, they were crucial, not to offend anyone. Instead, nowadays they taxed the hell out of cigarettes, making them at least $4.50 a pack, I believe. So we are still are making a profit of it, but mostly from the people already addicted to cigarettes.

Again with the hypocrisy. Cigarettes are worse for you, because a) you don't get high, you just get a craving for them, and b) you smoke more, and your chances of lung cancer are much greater. But it's okay to sell them, because it's a cash crop. By that logic, we have to legalise marijuana, because the government could make a killing off of it.

As for your last point, about mostly making a profit from people who already smoke.......no. I work in a gas station, and by far the most people who buy cigarettes are barely twenty. New people are introduced to cigarettes all the time. <p>
QUOTES!

Lord McBastard

Unread postby Lord McBastard » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:11 pm

Actually what I find funny is the skewing of opinions in this poll.

Everyone on this forum will rally against the banning of Video Games and dismiss evidence of kids being more violent after playing video games, as frivilous and unfounded in fact. But on an issue such as this in which they remain ignorant they use a similar kind of evidence, and vice versa to those who use/support it.

The human condition, it's so cool. <p><div style="text-align:center">
Yeah with enough cheese we could blow up just about anything.-Tyler Durden (misquoted)</div></p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:20 am

I should like to point out that not everyone thinks that way. <p>

</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:43 am

Nor even a majority of the people in this thread. <p>
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">-=- "YOU SEE THE MIGHTY DAMARAMU'S BRAIN IS VERY COMPACT!" -- Damaramu
-=- "Don't worry Mink, I'll be good excess baggage!" -- Pia
-=- "But I'm a slime half!" -- Princess Vena
-=- "OH BY THE SEVEN GODS IT'S A MECHANICAL BIRD! But it's so...small..." -- announcer guy
-=- "Demons don't care about story continuity!" -- Doug Finn</span></p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:47 am

Yep and my hatred of the Drug comes from pure experience as I haven't even read much on it, just be lectured and watched what it does to people =D

Next

Return to Discussion Forum