Critiques on a new type of comic.

For artistic creations in non-text format.
Nick Shogun

Critiques on a new type of comic.

Unread postby Nick Shogun » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:58 am

I went and bought some very, VERY expensive pens and pencils from an art store yesterday, and then tried this whole "layering" thing I've heard people do in PS, and ended up with this:

I thought it turned out alright for a first attempt, but I'd like some critique on my PS use, if anyone has any.

~Nick

BrainWalker
✔+

Re: Critiques on a new type of comic.

Unread postby BrainWalker » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:14 pm

I like it, except for the fact that it is damn-nigh illegible due to color choice and JPEG bastardry. Might want to work on that. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:20 am

Due to BW's reasons, I refrained from reading the text.

Due to this, I shall comment on the art! First off, orange guy's head changed shape/size; while minor, it's kinda detracting. Grey-guy's bottom jaw in the first 'panel' looks really wacky (Like it's floating in front of his neck). This makes me think of bad metal album-covers. And thirdly, the blurriness on Yellow-megaman's black spots is kinda wunky, and not evenly applied. Other then that, it's all pretty neat-o.

Oh, another thing is the background; I have no idea what sort of place they're standing in. First Grey-guy's slamming a huge cinderblock, then there's a computer in the background, then stairs. It's confusing. Anyways, keep up with this! >:

RedEye Dragon89

Unread postby RedEye Dragon89 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:25 am

Indeed, the text needs to be redone. The color of the word boxes clash with the words themselves, making it rather hard to look at, much less read.

I'd liven up that background a bit. You could go the out-of-focus path and make some really skimpy backgrounds in very blurry style. Avoid filters like the plague, though.

If you're going for a cel-shaded style, avoid using the fuzzy brushes. As Brodzkyman above said, it may cause some problems like in yellowguy's yinyang.

Some color pointers...

Just a bit of shading would rock, but consider the intense green in the background. It'd have to reflect on the characters.

However, about the green, it clashes with the overall mood I think you're trying to achieve. Cool colors tend to mean tranquility and such, while warm signify excitement, and Marlow looks pretty permanently pissed off to me.

Also, you could tone down the saturation. Even if you're going for a cartoony look, lean a bit more the grayer end of the spectrum when choosing colors.

What kind of pens are we talking about here? If they're microns, they only go for about a dollar fifty to two each to my experience. Probably pricy as far as pens go, but well worth it. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=redeyedragon89@rpgww60462>RedEye]&nbsp; Image at: 9/23/05 0:29

Nick Shogun

Unread postby Nick Shogun » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:13 am

Copic Markers.

Yeah, the gray dude is Lord Rhamos; he's supposed to be on a spaceship. I ought to put some spaceship stuff in the background, but I couldn't think of what went on a spaceship...

...The orange dude's head is concave, so from the side, it looks different.

Yeah, I will definetely stick to the solid paintbrush icon from now on.

What format will make my comic look clearest? GIF, TIFF, what? Any suggestions?

BrainWalker
✔+

Re: ...

Unread postby BrainWalker » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:13 am

No Jpeg. Or at least, use a better compression ratio. Gif is good if your colors aren't too diverse and you don't have mu ch in the way of gradient effects, but I tend to prefer PNG for things that aren't sprite-based, avatars, or small random pictures I don't intend to distribute much.

Although I submit stuff to DA as JPEGs with low compression, usually. *shrug* <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Return to Fanart and Miscellaneous