The Gem of Kohlingen

For artistic creations in text format.

Moderators: KingOfDoma, NebulaQueen

Uncle Pervy

The Gem of Kohlingen

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:51 am

(This is the first part of the second in my series of tales. C&C is much loved, as are comments, thoughts, and little issues you would like to see me address.)

"Right! Weigh anchor and drop th' sails!" Calls a powerful voice, as the sun sinks down on the horizon, almost but not quite ready to start falling from sight. "Time t' eat soon!"

"Aye!" call back the voices of the crew. Two of those voices belong to a a young nekojin in the robes of a White Mage and a small man with dark curly hair. The former takes to the rigging, climbing up the ropes with agiltiy and grace inherent to his feline nature. The latter stays to the helm of the ship, keeping a steady course while the rest of the crew works to drop the sails.

Soon, the booms are secured and the ropes slackened. At the word of the powerful voice, belonging to First Mate Tobias Edison, the knots binding the ropes are undone, and the sails fall slack. The men holding the ropes, including the nekojin, grunt and pull, slowly hauling the sailclothes to the top of the mast, where they are tied down by the more nimble sailors.

The ship begins to slow, for the wind blows by freely with nothing to catch it. Another order barked by the first mate looses the anchor's chain, allowing the heavy weight to fall into the water with a loud splash. A moment later, the slowing vessel gently lurches to a halt.

"Good!" the first mate calls, "Now off to the galley with the lot of you! Eat, then rest up. We've still got a ways to go before we see home again! So you'll be up bright and early tomorrow!"

As the crewmen finish up their duties, mooring and securing the ropes, they walk toward a hatch leading belowdecks. The curly-haired helmsman, his duties done, seeks out the man in white robes, calling out, "Pervy!"

"Aye!" Pervy calls back, now on deck again and working to secure a sail line. "Hawkin's, gimme a hand wit' this rope!"

"Will do," Answers the small man as reaches the nekojin's side. While Pervy holds the rope, Hawkin's dextrous fingers work to secure it. Within a few moments, it rope is tied off, and Pervy lets it go.

"Thanks," sighs the man in White Mage's robes. "Ye go on down, I'll be there in a moment."

"Again?" Hawkin's asks, "Alright, matey. But th' cook's gonna gimme weird looks when I ask for two plates this time."

"Bah, he understands!" Pervy dismisses with a wave of his hand, "Now get going, afore all th' good stuff's gone!"

Hawkins nods and strides off, disappearing down the hatch and leaving Pervy alone. Within a few moments, everyone save the lookout at the top of the mainmast has gone belowdecks. The ship is suddenly quiet. Aside from Jay in the crow's nest, Pervy is alone.

The nekojin smiles as he watches the sun set, admiring the blaze of colors it spreads across the the sky and the sea. He watchs the waves, as he feels the deck roll and pitch lightly under his feet. It is all so calming, so relaxing, that it makes the day's hardships seem more like a bad dream than a recent memory.

It's been a month since he came aboard the Gem of Kohlingen. In that month, he has sailed to Inustan, where they dropped off a load of cargo and picked about three hundred bales of cloth. Now, the ship voyages back to the its home port of Kohlingen.

The last month has been a joy for the young sailor. Before, his days were filled classes and studies at the University of Everbright. Now, he labors under the open sky, working upon the seas that he loves, rather than stuffy classrooms. Before, Pervy was surrounded by the children of nobles and wealthy merchants; but on the ship he works with the sons of labors; people like him. The nekojin feels like he belongs here, doing the work he loves with people who come from the same roots as he.

There is such a simple joy working on the ship, a quality that Pervy can't put into words. Perhaps it is the wind and the surf working in tandom, creating an atmosphere that invokes so many pleasant memories of home. The creaking timbers and gentle splash of the waves sound almost like his old house, built on the docks with the rest of his tiny village.

Perhaps it is the sense of brotherhood he feels with the other sailors. He had many friends at the University, and had even fallen in love with a fellow student once. Yet he could always feel the gap between them and himself, that barrier created by living a life totally different than their have. Even the other poor students felt different. They had grown up inland, away from the sea. They knew of poverty, but did not know of life along the coast. Yet the crew of the Gem of Kohlingen live on the sea beside him every day.

However, not all is perfect on the ship. In Everbright, Pervy was under the watchful eye of patient, benevolent instructors who desired to teach him. They were willing to let him take his own course while learning, so long as the lesson was learned. No rushing, no anger. Even the strictest martinet among them showed patience and restraint.

But Captain Crowe and First Mate Edison do not harbor such feelings. Aboard the Gem of Kohlingen their word is law. As Pervy boarded the ship, Captain Crow told him that his word is law, and that which contradicts it is muntiny. Their orders are sensible, for all the demand is that the ship be sailed well. The nekojin sailor knows what would happen if those orders weren't followed. There will be no mistakes aboard their vessel.

Still, Pervy doesn't like it. He can understand why the orders are given, but he doesn't like those that give them. Neither Crowe nor Edison see the nekojin as a person. To them, he is simply a tool. So is everyone else; they are simply parts of the machine that runs the Doman Merchantman. He can sense it in the way that they give orders. Whenever they speak, their voices hold commands, threats, and little else. It is as though they were ordering attack dogs.

Still, the nekojin can't complain overmuch. The food is decent, the hammock he sleeps in comfortable. The pay is not very good, a mere thirty gil a week. However, Pervy doesn't have to pay for much while sailing, so he doesn't care. It grates on him that the Captain doesn't care much for him, but the seaman has already resolved to find a better ship when they dock at Kohlingen.

Pervy doesn't let that bother him. Instead, he enjoys the simple beauty of the sunset. After a few moments of that, a growl in his belly urges Pervy toward the galley. He follows that urge happily, half-dashing down the stairs and past the crew's hammocks and the meager cannons.

The galley is a rather small and cramped, with one long table to seat the entire crew. A few dim lamps provide enough light to see by. It is quite noisy, as the two dozen voices of the crew echo back and forth in the small room. Hawkins sits at the end of the table, with a small empty spot beside him. A bowl of stew and a part of a loaf of bread await Pervy at the empty spot. Happily, he takes a seat and tears into both.

"Heh, just in time," Hawkin's notes with a little grin. "Sturlson was about to take your share,"

"Bah," Pervy answers through a mouthful of bland fish stew, "He learned his lesson last time. Didn't ye, Sturly?"

"Not touch yer food? Aye!" answers a big, burly sailor a few seats down. "Just glad ye were willin' to heal me after last time!" A wink punctuates that last statement, drawing a grin from Pervy.

"Pervy!" Says another sailor, an average-sized man in a jerkin with the sleeves cut away. "What do you think? Crowe a bastard or not?"

"What kinda bastard?" Pervy asks, looking up from meal.

"A dumb bastard, that's what!" Answers another sailor. "He cut corners on getting a chart! That's why we've been out here for two and a half bloody weeks! We should've been home from Inustan by now; instead we're out in the middle of the sea!"

"The wind went dead fer awhile, Jenkins," the nekojin points out. "When th' wind's dead, we go nowhere."

"Jenkins is right, y' know." Hawkin's counters, "Those charts aren't worth bilge. I'm better off using the stars on my own than wit' those charts."

"An' in th' meantime, Crowe and Edison work us like dogs!" Jenkins contines, "He knows he's messed up, but th' bastard dun admit! Instead 'e takes it out on us!"

"Bah, we'll get home," Pervy says. "Then we leave th' bastard high an' dry."

"Maybe, Pervy," Sturlson says, "If we get home. Maybe we should make 'im stop at a nearby port, and get a good map."

"And a good captain..." adds an Inujin who signed on at the last port, "One who has some idea what's he's doing... And doesn't force me to leave my sister behind because she 'might distract the crew from their duties'." Those last words are said with great bitterness.

"No need fer that," Pervy counters, growing a bit nervous, "We'll get home alright..."

No one else seems content to speak up. The White Mage can read a bit of surprise on some of the other crew member's faces as well. He's not the only one to put off guard by this talk.

They're talkin' mutiny! races the nekojin's mind, Bloody Mutiny! They can't be serious! Things aren't that bad!

Are they?

<p><table align="center" cellpadding=2><tr><td>Image</td><td align="center">Rum, White Magic, an' Cabbits.
That's th' life fer me.

Seig No-Pants!</td><td>Image</tr></table></p>

WhiteShadow

Re: The Gem of Kohlingen

Unread postby WhiteShadow » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:05 pm

"it rope is tied off"
I think you meant the, there.

"and that which contradicts it is muntiny."
Mutiny!

Sounds like an interesting little fic, Pervy, battles on board ships and betrayal and all that other good stuff that goes along with mutiny is all good with me! <p>Image

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Jul 31, 2002 2:28 pm

Didn't notice any technical errors my read through it.

Rather nice little story into here. I like. *nod nod* <p><hr width="47%"><small>Quotes of the moment:
-=- "Eat chicken, live forever...until you die, then you're screwed." -- Matt
-=- "*Dilute them bloodlines! Make Hitler roll in his grave!*" -- Uncle Pervy
-=- "Inorafeeb eedrayob fehc tae dna ekawa llahs slived." -- Bloodhound Gang
-=- "I exist to celebrate the onion." -- 'Pepito,' (mis)translation of Pablo Neruda's «Oda a la cebolla».</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Aug 04, 2002 6:11 pm

(This is a two parter. With Luck, I can finish it tonight ^^)

"So, you really think it was an honest mistake?" Hawkin's asks softly, as he takes a quick swig from a small bottle of Rum.

"Course it tis!" Pervy answers, as his gaze floats over the moonlit sea. "D'ye really think Crowe's dumb enough t' risk his ship out here fer so long? Ye dun just wander around th' Val'Ri; tis a good way t' end up floatin' face down in th' waves."

"I dunno," replies Hawkin's, "Crowe's proven he doesn't have two wits to rub together before. Remember when he asked why we keep the cannon deck so dark? I mean, tis pretty bloody obvious why we dun keep lamps lit 'round th' cannons!"

"Aye, ye have a point there," Pervy sighs, shaking his head. His eyes wander up to the half moon and twinkling stars above. The deck of the Gem of Kohlingen is empty, and the ship quiet. Hawkin's takes this time to sample the liquor he smuggled aboard, while Pervy just enjoys the peaceful night. More then once, he's fallen asleep out here, only to be awoken by the First Mate for breakfast. "Maybe Crowe is a fool... But Edison knows what he's doing."

"So do slavedrivers," Hawkin's replies. "Bah, tisn't all that important. We'll reach Kohlingen, then leave the bastards, eh?"

"Aye!" Pervy agrees, smiling.

Hawkins just smirks, and takes another sip. "Pervy," he says after a minute, "Ye impress me, ye know that?"

"Huh?" Pervy say, looking over at the curly-haired man.

"Not even a month ago, you were a swab so green that a farmer would try t' havest ye come fall," Continues the navigator, "But ye already know th' ropes and sails. Hell, ye even sound like a sailor!"

"Didn't take me long t' unlearn what they taught me to say at Everbright," Pervy answers with a wink. "Speakin' like a noble wears off right quick when ye ain't gotta do it. And I told ye, I was sailing wit' me Da a'fore I was six. This ain't much different than a fishin' boat."

The ship gives a particularly strong lurch, and a wave hits the bow just right. Hawkin's curses as a portion of his drink gushes out and soaks his shirt. Pervy chuckles, moving with the pitching deck and keeping his balance.

"Twas expensive stuff," Hawkin's laments, "It'll cost me half a hundred gil. easy, to d'still that back..."

"Bah," Pervy answers, as he reaches down and snatches up the lid of Hawkin's flask before it can roll away. "Ye've got more stashed away, I'll wager."

"That's not the point," Hawkin's mutters sadly, "Tis sad to see this all go to waste.."

"Quite a difference between spilt milk an' spilt liquor, aye?" answers Pervy, a little smile on his lips.

Before Hawkin's can answer, the door to the Captain's cabin flies open and slams against the wall. Edison storms out, heading below decks, and shouts, "PERVY! GETCHER ASS UP HERE NOW!"

"Yes sir?" Asks the nekojin, as he walks toward the obviously irritated First Mate. A cold knot of fear begins to well in Pervy's stomach. Edison has never been this angry before. PErvy is not sure he wants to know what the First mate wants with him at all.

"Good, you're out here!" Edison exclaims. Before Pervy can say anything, the first mate makes a dismissinve gesture and declares "Ain't important. The Captain's hurt! Get to the cabin and heal him on the double!" <p><table align="center" cellpadding=2><tr><td>Image</td><td align="center">Rum, White Magic, an' Cabbits.
That's th' life fer me.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:32 pm

Wheeeee... o.o

;_; That spilt booze... *laments with Hawkins*

Err...yes. Good segment. ^_^ No constructive criticism I can give aside from "I like it," here. Nope nope.

*bounces around, waiting for more* <p><font color=navy><hr width="47%"><small>Hello, my name is Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!<hr width="31%">Quotes of the moment:
-=- "Love is when your brain stops working." -- White Knight
-=- "Love is when 72 billion monkeys steal a porsche and drive it off a cliff." -- SuperRube
-=- "LOVE IS WAI." -- me</font></p>

pd Rydia

on Nekogami's behalf... =P

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Aug 09, 2002 9:37 pm

"back, as he vaults over"

That comma shouldn't be there, I don't think.

"A liquor cabinet rests beside a wardrobe, while a large card table covered with scrolls, papers, and various knick-nacks. "

Sentence fragment. ^_^;;

"...absorbing the blood and cutting off circulation."

That's kind of an odd way to put it...even though it's implied, I would still say cutting off circulation to the wound, or stopping the blood flow. That could be my dialect coming through, though, so I'd get another's opinion on that.

"...as the seaman's eye's slowly open."

"eyes"

""Aye sir," replies the First mate."

"first mate"?

"The nekojin knows that he stay behind and make sure that Crowe doesn't have a concussion."

eh? Did you mean to fit in a "should" there?

"well-liked Navigator."

More super fun happy superfluous capitalization. ^_^;;

"liquorn"

"Mutinous"

"Inujin Sailor"

Aaaand that's about it that I see.

Very colorful imagery, I like it. o.o And interesting development...and a hint of foreshadowing, if I'm not very mistaken.

>.> More. <p><font color=navy><hr width="47%"><small>Hello, my name is Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!<hr width="31%">Quotes of the moment:
-=- "Love is when 72 billion monkeys steal a porsche and drive it off a cliff." -- SuperRube
-=- "LOVE IS WAI." -- me</font></p>

Uncle Pervy

Re: on Nekogami's behalf... =P

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:05 pm

YOu know, that new Avatar looks very appropriate at the moment. ^^ <p><table align="center" cellpadding=2><tr><td>Image</td><td align="center">Rum, White Magic, an' Cabbits.
That's th' life fer me.

Nekogami

Re: on Nekogami's behalf... =P

Unread postby Nekogami » Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:14 am

Pah, revenge in skill is not my style. Ye be a better craftsmen o' the written word, Pervy. My hat to ye and yer craft. <p>
<center><table border = 1><tr><td><center>Image
"You're cruel." "I am?"
"Yes. You are." "I aaam?"
"Yes. You are." "....Well, what can you do? *sigh*" --Nadeisco</center>

<center> 2 Sugoi!~~Mmm, Mechage RPGWW style!~~Live Journal</center></td></tr></table></center></p>

Uncle Pervy

Dammit! Second Page my arse!

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:53 pm

"Ship off the Port Bow!" cries Jay from the crow's nest, "A Barque by the look of her!"

"Right, run up th' colors!" calls out Edison. Quickly, two of the sailors dash over the mainmast, and raise a large Doman Flag along the line. As they do, Pervy looks over the left side of the Gem of Kohlingen., and sees a small, thick-prowed sailing their way.

It has been three days since Hawkins was take off of the keel. He survived the expericence, but it left him very weak. The chains broke his wrists, and wrenched his shoulders badly. The Navigator's skin was blue and cold as death when he was brought back aboard. Only Pervy's Healing magicks keep him alive, easing away the hypothermia and repairing his shattered bones and torn muscles. It was a miracle that he did not lose any digits to the freezing chill.

Still, the sailor is confined to his hammock. Though his wounds were healed, the experience has left him with a terrible cold, which Pervy lacks the magic to combat. Alternating fever and chill keep Hawkin's in bed, and wrapped in a thick blanket. Only recently, he has been able to eat solid food and keep it down.

Captain Crowe has also weathered his ordeal rather well, much to Pervy's chagrin. After a day of being bedridden, and complaining of terrible headaches, the captain is back on his feet. The White Mage finds himself wishing he had not be so thorough in healing out the concussion Crowe had suffered from... And sometimes, when he looks at the first mate, Pervy finds his fingers inching to put his yet-unsheathed cutlass to use...

"Can you see their colors yet?" Edison calls up, his voice full of obvious impatience.

"Not yet!" Jay calls back, "But they're comin' toward us... Looks Rivan by the design of 'er prow! Wait... I see it!"

"Well, what is it?" demands the first mate, glaring upwards.

"Pirates!" Cries Jay, "That's Captain Gerrard's Flag!"

"@#%$!" Edison shouts at the top of his lungs, "They got the wind, too! We ain't gonna get away! Right! Man the cannons! We can't run, but we sure as hell can blast those bastards out of the water!"

"Hell no, Edison!" shouts an angry voice. Pervy looks over to see Wake, the Inujin sailor who signed on at the last port, glaring at the first mate. His canine lips are pulled back in a feral snarl. Pervy wonders if Wake intends to go for the cutlass at his side, or tear at Edison's throat with his fangs!

"Sounds like Mutiny, dog," Edison growls dangerously.

"Sounds like nothing!" Wake snaps, saliva flying from his jaws, "I ain't about to die for your slavedriving arse, Edison!"

"Then you'll die because of it," Edison promises, drawing his longsword.

He ain't gonna make it alone, Pervy realizes, Ain't no way Wake can take a brawler like Edison on his own like that! Only one thing t' do...

Walking forward, Pervy shouts, "No, he ain't!" The White Mage draws his cutlass, and levels it at Edison. He keeps his eyes focused on the burly first mate, waiting for him to try something. Right, this thing can't be too different from a staff...

"You too, eh?" Edison sneers, "You think I'm afraid of a kitten who can't even hold his sword right?"

"Shut yer damn mouth!" Comes the voice of Jenkins from behind the first mate. "That way you don't sound like a damn fool no more!" Edison just grits his teeth as Jenkins continues. "We're of ye treatin' us like yer property! We be free men, and ye're done wit' yer tyranny! Ye ain't treatin' us like freight no more! We ain't a cost t' be minimized, ye damned merchant's whore!"

The other sailors begin to shout in agreement, rousing from their previous silence. Edison surveys the crew, and sneers. "Is this want you all want?!" he yells, looking and ignoring his assaillents, "Mutiny? You want to be outlaws for the rest of your damned lives? Hunted and shunned at every decent port in the land? You want to back out on the contract you signed on your honor as men, and turn on your word!?"

"You know about honor?" Wake growls, "Could've fooled me... I thought you buried it for profits a long time ago..."

"What is the meaning of all this?" Comes the voice of Captain Crowe from across the deck. Edison, Pervy, and Jenkins look over to see the Captain walking toward them from his cabin; Wake keeps his eyes firmly on the First Mate. Crowe's face seems more confused than angry. "What's this all about? We have pirates coming, why are you fighting amongst yourselves? We have to defend the ship!"

"No, we don't hafta defend your money!" Jenkin retorts, spitting on the in Crowe's direction, "I ain't about to lose my life to keep you or the company rich! You treat us like damned cattle, and expect us to die for you? To hell wit' that!"

"The pirates are coming!" Crose presses, his voice clearly nervous. "It's too late for the cannons! Take defensive positions!"

"You want to be something other than cattle?" Edison snaps, as he tries to watch the Pervy and the other two mutineers at once, "Earn it! Damned lazy lackabout sailors!"

"Shut up and die!" Wake shouts, as he charges at the First Mate.

A shot rings out. Rather than Wake and Edison clashing swords, the first mate simply falls over, as the bullet tears though his skull! Wake nearly trips over the fallen body as he skids to a halt.

Curious, Pervy looks over. Mere yards away is the smaller, faster Pirate Barque. Standing on the bow is a man in a colorful red overcoat, holding a smoking pistol in one hand, and another pistol on the other. Pervy can see a grin on his face as he surveys the mutiny-tossed Merchantman. A cold needle of fear pierces the nekojin's heart, and floods heavily into his stomach.

"I'm Captain Laydin Gerrard!" the man shouts levelling his otehr pistol toward the ship, "Prepare to be boarded!" <p><table align="center" cellpadding=2><tr><td>Image</td><td align="center">Rum, White Magic, an' Cabbits.
That's th' life fer me.

pd Rydia

Re: Dammit! Second Page my arse!

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:56 pm

some technical stuff...

"It has been three days since Hawkins was take off of the keel." -- taken

"expericence" "Crose" "otehr" -- just some misspellings

"Healing magicks" "White Mage" "Mutiny" "Pirate Barque" "Merchantman" -- not sure about the capitalization

Anyhow...whee, a name I made up! ^-^ I feel special, and stuff.

Oh, and nice buildup and little conflict. =P Mooore, I say! More! ^_^ <p><font color=navy><hr width="47%"><small>Hello, my name is Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!<hr width="31%">Quotes of the moment:
-=- "Love is an intricate dance of lewd comments and biting." -- Lord McBastard</font></p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:31 am

The crew just watches mutely as Gerrard's Ship, The Midnight Rose its hull proclaims, sails alongside of the Gem of Kohlingen. The pirates toss gappling hooks over the Merchantman's railing, and secure them to their ship's mooring loops.

The crew of the Merchantman watch in quiet resignition. Most drop whatever weapons they are holding, and simply wait for the Pirates to board. Pervy realizes that without any sort of leadership, there is no way that the crew to fight back effectively. With Captain Gerrard directing them, the pirates would easily scythe down whatever resistence the sailors might put up.

For a moment, the White mage considers taking the lead himself. It wouldn't be too tough, Pervy muses. They're already used t' jumpin' when Edison said so, all I gotta do tis shout good...

But that pirate gunned down Edison wit'out a second thought... They're too shaken fer it t' work. They'd yelp like puppies, an' that pirate'd go nuts on us all...

Pervy drops his cutlass. It falls to the deck with a loud clatter, as Captain Gerrard leaps over the railing of The Midnight Rose. He lands gracefully on the deck, and sweeps his pistol across the whole of the ship.

Clad in a bright red overcoat, Captain Gerrard cuts a dashing figure. He wears light-colored and loose-fitting shirt under that coat, and a pair of calico pants. A wide sash runs across his waste, with about a half dozen snaplock pistols shoved into it. A tri-corner nautical hat rests atop his head His eyes were green, emerald green and sparkling with something between bloodlust and exhiliration. Wazy brown hair tumbles from under his hat, framing a thin, handsome face.

"Well, It's good you know how to deal with this situation," Gerrard says with a smile, his voice rich and melodic, "Work with me here, and no one will be hurt. Well, except him." He motions to the cooling corpse of the first mate with the pistol what he unloaded upon the fallen man. As he does, more pirates jump ship to land on the merchantrman's deck.

"Anyway, looks like you were having a little mutiny when I came by, eh? Well, I'm not one to stand in the way of that. All I want is your cargo, and maybe some of you valuables. After that, you can get back to spilling as much blood on the water as you like. So terribly sorry for inconvienencing you all."

"Yer timing's damned good," Jenkins declares, "I humbly request th' right t' sign yer articles, and join yer crew, Sir!"

"And why would do that?" Gerrard asks, arcing an eyebrow at the sailor. A moment ago, that inattention, could have been the death of him. But now, a significant portion of his crew also stands watch over the Merchantman.

"Because I'm tired of sniffin' after the arse's of mutts like Crowe for a livin'!" Jenkins declares.

"Hey!" Wake exclaims, "Dun be talkin' bout my people like that, or I'll cut yer face off!"

"Sorry, Wake," Jenkins apologizes, spreading his hands wide, " Didn't mean it that way."

"Yeah, yeah," Wake grumbles. "Just watch it..."

Captain Gerrard scratches at his chin, then chuckles. "Alright, your on! I like the way you think. You're sick of the merchants, but you respect your fellow man, and your fellow crewmates."

Gerrard them looks at the rest of the crew, and grins. "And I'll extend that offer to you all! Anyone who's sick of living under the tyranny of merchants, The Midnight Rose has a place for you! You won't hafta do as they say, and live under their pettiness with me!I offer you freedom to be men, to live like you should! Instead of depending on them, you'll depend only on your own courage to make a living! Who's with me?"

Ishtar and Kalyca! Pervy's thoughts race, A better way... Freedom, living under my own courage, without bastards like Crowe lording over me.

Pervy picks up his sword and sheaths clumsily, catching it on the scabbard a few times as he slides it in. "I'm wit' ye," He says solemnly, "I wanna live free, and live wit' th' waves."

"There is no more free a life than that of a pirate, my friend," Gerrard answers, focusing his gaze on Pervy's. "Not a one. Welcome aboard The Midnight Rose, White Mage."

Not a White Mage, the Nekojin corrects mentally. [/i]I be a free man now. I be a pirate...[/i] <p><table align="center" cellpadding=2><tr><td>Image</td><td align="center">Rum, White Magic, an' Cabbits.
That's th' life fer me.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:17 pm

"Wazy"
"arcing" (I think it's arching, not sure)

"You won't hafta do as they say, and live under their pettiness with me!"

That's worded oddly. "live under their pettiness with me," that is. I'd fix it so that it reads: "With me, you won't hafta do as they say, and live under their pettiness!"

"sheaths" (sheathes, I think, for the verb -- sheaths is more than one sheath to hold a sword)

---

Now, technicalities aside...

WOO! I loved this. ^_^ Very nice. Great to see how exactly Perv got signed on as a pirate as a white mage. Well done, too. One of the best pieces of writing I've read. n_n Thanks for the fic, bro! <p><font color=navy><hr width="47%"><small>Hello, my name is Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!<hr width="31%">Quotes of the moment:
-=- "Love is an intricate dance of lewd comments and biting." -- Lord McBastard</font></p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Aug 25, 2002 6:53 am

(This is a transition piece mostly. The info I provide on pirates is historically accurate. As for the first Mate, a few of youshould recognize who she is, and how she ties into the Pervy's current persona Image )

Nearly a third of the Crew defects to join Gerrard. Aside From Pervy, Wake, and Jenkins; Four other Sailors follow, including Hawkin's. Carried might be a more accurate term in the navigator's case. Some remained with Crowe out of a sense of duty, others because they had no desire to become outlaws.

After Gerrard's men cleaned out the Cargo bay, and took a healthy portion of the Food stores and the powder supply, the Pirate Captain allowed Crowe to go his own way. The Merchant Captain accepted the situation stoically, appointing a new first mate to take Edison's place, and promoting Hawkin's' assistant to full navigator. As the Gem of Kohlingen sailed away, Pervy wondered if they would survive long enough to see land again.

Life aboard The Midnight Rose was very different than that on the merchant ship in some ways. Yet in others ways, it is not at all different. The first thing that Pervy finds is a sense of vibrancy among the crew. They sail of their own will, working because they desire to profit, rather than working for a merchant.

Such a subtle change, yet one that makes all the difference. The pirates work of their own accord, knowing they get nothing unless they successfully raid another ship, and knowing they get more when they successfully raid more ships. Knowing their own livelyhood directly depends on their sailing does wonders for morality. The First Mate seldom has to yell at the sailors, or give them a hard time in order to get them to do their jobs. As time goes on, Pervy realizes that Edison did not have to do so, either.

That is the key to it all, Pervy realizes. Crowe had to work for a merchant, and had to keep costs low. He had to account for every gil of freight, every bit of food, and every penny paid in wages. Gerrard does not. In his eyes, the crew aren't just expenditures to be kept low. They are the men and women who help he gain his livelyhood.

Pervy is surprised, shocked even, to see how little control Gerrard really has over his crew. When brought aboard The Midnight Rose, Pervy was presented with a paper covered with signitures, called the Ship's Articles. Reading them, he was one of the few who could, he found a list of rules and resistions, applying to everyone on the ship. There were not many, and most were promises that the captain could not beat or punish any crew without the consent of the crew.

When in battle, Gerrard had the authority of life or death over his crew, yet only in battle. After that, he had surprisingly little authority. Crowe could tell a crew member when to work, decide how much to feed him, and punish him if he failed at his duties. Gerrard could do none of this. The First Mate did the first two, while the captain determined where they would sail and when they would raid. And of the crew didn't like it, a simple majority vote was enough to dispose of either; or both. It formed a simple, yet effective, seperation of power.

Even more suprising were the tales from the older pirates, sailors who had served on serveral ships and with several Captains. Every one tell him that other ships are much the same. Articles gauranteeing freedom, and Captains with little power. Few pirates desired to be the Captain's pawns, after sailing aboard merchant ships.

Nothing prevented a crewman from barging into Captain Gerrard's cabin, drinking from his liqour cabinet, and swearing to his face. But that did not seem to happen. Never attempting to force respect, Gerrard was instead given it.

Pervy was no exception. The ex-White Mage had come to respect Gerrard a great deal. The Pirate seemed to care so little for money, yet the stores below proved that he was good at the job. Instead, he seemed to be more happy sailing the seas. He spoke to the crew as equals and fellow sailors, rather than as people under his command. Crowe could be friendly, but was always distant. Gerrard was never distant. It was not hard for Pervy to respect the Captain, nor did he begrudge Gerrard a bit of it.But, while the Captain gained the nekojin's respect by being a good man, the First Mate earned his respect by being a skillful woman.

Catalia Belnades, standing hardly more than five feet tall, is perhaps the most forceful woman Pervy has met. She is slender, with green eyes, pale skin, and shoulder-length sky-blue hair that naturally falls into spiky locks. Most curious are her ears, which are best described as webbed. They look like the fins of a fish, or the finbers of bats' wings. Despite that; maybe because of it, she is quite beautiful, something the ex-White Mage finds hard to ignore sometimes...

"Pay attention to your blade!" Catalia rebukes harshly, as she smacks Pervy's cutlass aside and puts her own at this throat. It would be the seventh time that's happened that particular morning.

Raising his hands in surrender, Pervy says, "Yer just too good fer me, that's all."

"Pfft, I'm going easy on you, y' big baby!" Catalia replies, as she sets her cutlass aside and leans against it like a cane. Half-closing her eyes, she looks up at him rather disdainfully. Somehow, she manages to look down upon him, even though she hardly stands level with his collarbone."Ye think a real merchant's thug would let you get away with half the stuff I have?"

"Narr," Demurs the nekojin. "I'm just new to this, tis all."

"Two problems with your fighting, Pervy," Catalia lectures, her eyes hardening from a condesending glance to a hard stare. "First off, your fighting like that sword's a damned club. Don't swing it like a hammer. Just enough to keep it moving. If you swing too hard, lose control over how it flies, and you lose balance

"Second," she continues, waggling a finger. "watch me. Not just my chest, not just my ears. Don't give me that look, kitty-man, I'm not blind. Don't focus on any one thing. Watch my sword and my motions, got that? If you watch my sword, you'll know how I intend to slash next. Watch how I move, and you'll know how I'll make that slash happen. Got it?"

"Aye," Pervy answers grimly, as he takes up the basic stance that she had shown him.

"Good, just block for now," Catalia instructs him, as she takes thatn position herself. "Don't worry about countering, just keep me from hitting you. Do well, and I'll make sure the cook saves you the best piece of fish. Now enguarde, you damned silly white mage!" <p><table align="center" cellpadding=2><tr><td>Image</td><td align="center">Rum, White Magic, an' Cabbits.
That's th' life fer me.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Aug 25, 2002 3:35 pm

Nice little addition/transition thingy. It would fit in well at the end of this story, or even the beginning of the next, I'd say.

Nifty characterization on Gerrard, and I like the dialogue between Pervy and the first mate (yarr, she be a fiesty pirate wench...<< >> << *waves her fiesty pirate wench fan banner* n_n T'garr!).

Erm, yes...anyway, just a few little errors I spotted are below.

<small>"They are the men and women who help he gain his livelyhood." -- 'him gain his livelihood'

"signitures" -- signatures

"Reading them, he was one of the few who could, he found a list of rules and resistions, applying to everyone on the ship." -- I would use different punctuation to offset the "he was one of the fe who could" clause/segment/whatever it's called. I would use dashes, but parenthesis might work, too.

"First Mate" "Demurs" -- more random capitalization goodness

"If you swing too hard, lose control over how it flies, and you lose balance" -- that could be her dialect, but it kinda looks like it might be a misediting of a previous sentence...the and is superfluous, that is to say

"thatn"[/i] <p><font color=navy><hr width="47%"><small>Hello, my name is Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!<hr width="31%">Quotes of the moment:

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:12 am

Pervy grits his teeth as Catalia's cutlass comes in low, and twists he own down to catch it. Steel rings against steel, as the First Mate's blade is deflected off his blade. "Nice work, Kitty!" Catalia says, her face splitting into a smile, "Now keep it up!"

Pervy doesn't respond; he doesn't have time to before Catalia reverses her attack and slashes high. Again he snaps the blade up, catching the cutlass. He allow a small smile to creep across his face at the victory, before Catlia stirkes once.

He doesn't have time to think after that. All he can do with watch the first mate, and react to her flying blade. Downslash, Upward thrust, riposte; the nekojin doesn't have the time to recogonize the attacks. All he can do is move his own blade over and deflect it.

Suddenly, the cutlass flies from his hands! He barely has time to register Catalia charging forward before the small woman slams into his torso! Caught completely off guard, they both stumble backwards across the deck. Then one of Pervy's feet catches empty air.

Suddnely the ground falls out from under him. Wind rushes past his body, before he slams into something at once solid and yielding. A horrid chill envelops his body, as an insidious liquidy weight rushes into his throat and nose. Instinctively, the nekojin throws out his arms, and pushes against water.

Emerging from the sea, Pervy coughs and sputters, trying desperately to breathe. It takes him a moment to hack up all of of the water he swallowed. He keeps afloat by instinct more than anything else; having been taught to swim not long after he began to walk, like all the children in his nameless little hamlet.

After a moment, he spits up most of the water he swallowed and breathes properly. "Pervy!" calls a voice from above. The nekojin looks up to see the grinning face of Ol' Hawkin's, leaning over the railing. "We're gettin' th' ladder, don't worry!" He thenlooks around and asks, "Where's Belnades at?"

"Eh?" Pervy asks. Then he looks around, and realizes that the First Mate has yet to surface. Shingus! Dun tell me she dunno how t' swim! Without bothering to respond to Hawkin's, the pirate takes a deep breath and dives.

Why th' hell'd she charge me like that anyhow?

The pirate dives, swimming with far more grace than his earlier freefall. Frantically, he surveys the blue depths, looking for some sign of desperate motion. Only the fish swimming nearby greet him. The scene is perfectly calm, there is no sign of the First Mate anywhere.

"Hey Fuzzy!" comes Catalia's voice, "Down here!" Her words, carried and amplied by the water, seem to come from every direction. Were it not for her directions, PErvy wouldn't have any idea which way to look.

What th' bloody hell? 'Down here?' She dun sound stuck 'r nothin'...

Partially Curious and partially afraid, the Nekojin dives deeper, going beneathe the prow of The Midnight Rose. There, he finds Catalia, treading water easily below the hull, running a hand over the barnacle-laden surface. Her cerulean hair fans out behind her; what it exposes nearly causes the Pervy to gasp. Lining her neck, positioned behind her curiously webbed ears, are a row of slits that flare and contract in a regular, hypnotic pattern.

Bloody Ishtar! his thoughts race, and he fights keep hold of his breath. She's a... She's got... She's a bloody...!

Catalia looks over at him, her emerald eyes twinking with amusement, and says, "Oh don't give me that! They're gills. You've seen them before on those fish you like to devour so much. Now settle down before you drown yourself like a fool, then get over here to look at this" <p><table align="center" cellpadding=2><tr><td>Image</td><td align="center">Rum, White Magic, an' Cabbits.
That's th' life fer me.

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:22 am

Yaay!!! ^___^

*wuvs her stories from Unkie* 9.9

Can I just stop having fairytale princess stories at night and start having pirate adventures please, Unkie?

*is still in overalls, but has a chibi pirate hat over her pigtails*

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:27 pm

...I think pirate stories every night would be very nice. o.o C'mon bro, I wanna read more! ;_; <p><font color=navy><hr width="47%"><small>Hello, my name is Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!<hr width="31%">Quotes of the moment:

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:46 am

(Well, I can't promise them every night, but I am going to be a little more regular with them if I can ^^

And my latest RPs have been inspiring me to write more about Catalia)

Pervy just shakes his head, trying to make sense of this. He also tries to ignore the slow burning sensation that blossums in his chest. Desperately, he wants to ask what is going on, but he also has no desire to give up his precious air.

Catalia just shakes her head, then says, "Gah! Get over it, Fuzzy! I'm a Sushijin. Now stop the surprised act, and come over here."

They exist? his mind races, Actual two-legged folks like meself... Not half-fish like merfolk, just people with a bit of fish in them. But I always though they were just legends.

As he swims toward the First Mate, he cannot help but stare at those gills. It is almost hypnotic, watching the slits along her throat contract and flare out rythymically. A slow, steady stream of bubbles emerge from her nose and mouth as her gills go through their breathing cycle. He never noticed those gills at all before; never saw signs of anything other than normal flesh there. Not that he had any reason to suspect she had anything over than normal flesh there..

Also, hearing her speak so plainly underwater mystifies him. It is not easily to talk properly underwater; which was the basis of an old game he used to play as a child back in his village. But Catalia's words are clear, and easy to understand. He suspects it has something to do with her not holding down a great gulp of air like he is.

She's gonna have some explainin' t' do later.

"See this?" The First Mate asks, looking up at the underside of the ship and running a hand along the surface. Barnacles dot the wooden hull, telling the nekojin that it is due for a cleaning soon, lest the little hard-shelled pest damage the ship. As the burning in his chest becomes more and more painful, he sees it.

It takes him a moment to pick it out, but soon it becomes obvious. The timbers are subtly, but unmistakably bowed inwards! A tiny flaw, yet a significant one. The bowed timbers formed a weak spot in the hull. A good impact at the right spot could very well shatter the weak point, and sink the ship!

And such impacts tend to be common when one ship boards another.

<p><table align="center" cellpadding=2><tr><td>Image</td><td align="center">Rum, White Magic, an' Cabbits.
That's th' life fer me.

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:03 am

Bleah, now I'm actually checking...

"blossums", in the second paragraph (or first, really, since the one before it is just one line of story...) ought to be "blossoms".

But... YAY! Piratey stories, whoo!!! *dances a jig, the pirate cap bouncing on her pigtails*

9.9 If you ever meet Catalia again, Unkie, can she be my new Auntie? o.o

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:58 am

One instance of using "easily" instead of "easy."

Wai wai new fic addition. n_n Must...read...more... <p><font color=navy><hr width="47%"><small>Hello, my name is Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!<hr width="31%">Quotes of the moment:

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Fri Aug 30, 2002 6:46 am

"We gotta tell Laydin about this," The First mate declares, as she looks over at Pervy, "C'mon Kitty, shake a leg!"

Not waiting for his reply, the sushijin swims past him gracefully. The feel of stale air tearn for release from the pirate's chest is all the encouragement he needs to follow her up. She easily outpaces him, something that seldom happens to the water-loving nekojin. That doesn't surprise him greatly, though. He may have been playing in the water since he could walk, but he would wager that she's been living in it since she was born.

Emerging from the sea's embrace, the ex-white mage exhales, then greedily sucks down fresh air. As he does, he glances over at the first mate. Much as he suspected, he can see virtually no trace of her gills, now that she is no longer using them, There might be some hint of them, or it might be a trick of the light glinting from the water clinging to her neck.

Catalia notices his rather open scrutiny, then smiles. "Keep a discreet tongue in your head, Pervy," she says sweetly, "No need to go blabbling to people what they don't need to know, right? I dun need people hounding me over something that doesn't matter."

"Aye," Pervy agrees, as he runs a hand though his hair, trying to chase out some of the saltwater. His ears droop a bit low, as they tend to when they got wet. That, combined with his unkempt and thoroughly sodden hair, makes him look thoroughly bedraggled and miserable. The chill he had ignored from so long starts to bite through his muscles and reach down to freeze his bones; making him shiver noticably.

The first mate just gives him a lopsided smirk, and says, "You look horrible, Kitty." Then she swims toward the rope ladder that the pirates had lowered over the side of the ship. Quietly, he follows, trying to keep his teeth from chattering. Thankfully, he is able to keep it under control as he ascends the ladder, and is helped up by Hawkins and Wake.

"Get those robes off," comes the voice of Captain Gerrard, as he crosses the deck. "I'll not have you dying of cold on me!" He stops in front of both of them, watching them. Pervy can tell by the look in his eyes that Gerrard intends to oversee the situation personally.

"Yes sir," Pervy replies, as he starts to pull the heavy, sodden robes over his head. Although he isn't wearing much underneath, he does so without any real shame. On a ship, privacy does not exist; especially on a smaller ship like The Midnight Rose. Catalia has already stripped down to her smallclothes, and is wrapping a blanket around herself. The Nekojin knows it is just an act to keepn people from being suspicious; a sushijin would be used quite used to the chill of briney depths.

As his robes fall to the deck with a wet plop, Hawkin's wraps a heavy woolen blanket around the nekojin's shoulders. "Thankee," Pervy says, as tugs the cloth around his body tightly. It quickly becomes damp in spots, but still serves it's purpose well enough.

"You two take a few minutes to rest," The captain says, "I'm going to go and make sure the cook has some good broth ready for you both."

"Aye Captain," Catalia replies, "Just give me a few minutes, and I'll be alright. In a few more, Kitty and I'll be training again." She punctuates that last statement by flashing a quick smile Pervy's way.

Why'd she give me that look? She proud o' me fer some reason? He then looks at the Captain again, just in time to see the man disappears belowdecks. Wincing internally, Pervy decides, We'll just have t' tell 'em 'bout that dent in th' hull when he gets back...

The First mate walks to the Captain's cabin and has a seat in from of it; leaning her back against the wall. Pervy follows, and sinks down beside her. He sighs, then asks, "What'd ye knock me off th' ship fer, anyway? Thought I twas doin' a fine job o' defendin'."

"Ye were, Fuzzy" Catalia agrees, looking over at the nekojin and grinning. "So I gave you the next lesson: Don't stop thinking in a fight, and be ready for the unexpected. You were just stoppin' my sword and thinking of nothin' else. So I was able to catch you off guard real easy with that tackle. I knew you wouldn't be thinkin' about that, and th' time was perfect."

She chuckles a bit, as Pervy just nods dumbly. At first, he wanted to protest that she wasn't being fair. But he knew her answer would be a rousing 'So what?'. Instead, he just nods and says, "Ye got me good."

"You needed a good way t' cool down anyhow," Catalia replies, winking at him, "You've been working so hard to get good with that sword. Even if it's killing ye to unlearn everything they taught you about using a staff at that academy of yours."

Letting his head rest against the cabin wall, Pervy just smiles a bit at the half-compliment. It is certain better than what she had ton say about his swordsmanship last week! I'll learn t' use this thing proper yet! he vows, renewing a promise he made to himself when the bought the blade, what seems like a lifetime ago. <p><table align="center" cellpadding=2><tr><td>Image</td><td align="center">Rum, White Magic, an' Cabbits.
That's th' life fer me.

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:45 am

Yay! Friendship between kitty and fishy! WAI! WAI!

Pyrrha: *tries to eat Pervy*

*boots Pyrrha away via Supa Chibi Magic*

Pyrrha: 6.9

*huggles Unkie* Yayness!

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:29 pm

Wootles. ^_^

...I'd say more, but I'm too tired. <p><font color=navy><hr width="47%"><small>Hello, my name is Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!<hr width="31%">Quotes of the moment:

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sat Aug 31, 2002 9:34 am

(Okay Sis, I'll buy that this time, but not next time Image )

Pervy watchs for a moment as the crew goes about there duties. They leave Catalia and himself alone, not paying the two drenched sailors much mind. Feeling a bit bold from the praise he had gotten from the first mate, he looks over and asks, "What's a sushijin doing up here wit' buncha rogues, anyway?"

Catalia just sighs, then says, "It really doesn't matter, Kitty. I'm here, right? Isn't that the important part?"

I wonder what she's so ashamed of? The nekojin ponders, instantly noticing the change in her tone. She can't be that ashamed of 'er past, can she? "Dun worry," he says giving her a little smile, "I'll not judge ye. 'Sides, ye know I ran away from th' Order rather than accept their way o' life. I came 'ere t' live like I want."

"Both of us, Kitty," replies Catalia wistfully. "Both of us. You know what it's like, living poor under the waves?"

"Not much different than being poor on land, I'll wager," answers the ex white mage. "Work like an animal fer someone who ain't poor, an' try not t' get killed doin' it."

"Pretty much," Catalia replies, giving Pervy another lopsided grin, "It isn't fun being poor anywhere. Kitty. Can't do much, and can't do much about it. I had to get free of it. Had to get away and follow my own path."

"Aye, I understand that," Pervy replies, thinking back to the night he said goodbye to Valenti and fled from Everbright. "Know 'bout it all too well."

"Besides," The sushijin adds, drawing her legs up to her chest beneathe her blanket. "Life up here is much better. You'd be surprised how much a difference being able to have a fire anywhere can make. A lot of us never get to taste cooked food; and things made of worked metal cost a fortune! You land dwellers have it easy in a lot of ways. And I want a piece of that myself, and I wanna live free while getting."

Captain Gerrard emerges from belowdecks, with two cups of broth in each hand, and spare clothing draped over each shoulder. As he does, Catalia falls quiet. Pervy does as well, figuring that she doesn't even want the captain to know about her secret.

He approaches with a smile on his face, and offers the mugs to his soaked subordinates. "Then broth's fresh, and I got you both something to wear." He accentuates that by shrugging the clothing off his shoulders, and letting them fall to the deck in a heap.

"Thankee Captain, sir," Pervy says, as he takes the cracked ceramic mug in hand, and sips at the steaming tasty fish broth within. The liquid spreads it warmth throughout his body as is course down his throat. It does much to combat the chill that the sea has left with him, heating his chilled flesh a bit. The nekojin drinks rather greedily, burning his tongue.

A voice from the crow's nest calls out, "Ship ahead! Rivan Cargo Fluyte! Looks like she's ready for the takin'! Might put up a bit of a fight though."

"We're ready for a bit of a tussle," Answers Captain Gerrard, grinning as he stands and turns to face the crew. "Hawkings! Set course for that Cargo Fluyte! Belnades, get ready to prep the cannons as soon as you can stand! Everyone, get ready to board that ship!" <p><table align="center" cellpadding=2><tr><td>Image</td><td align="center">Rum, White Magic, an' Cabbits.
That's th' life fer me.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Aug 31, 2002 11:44 pm

No Gerrard! No boardies the ship, nooooo! ;_;

Erm. Ahem. One typo I noticed:

"is course" -- it courses (?)

The last installment also had quite a few typos...which I am, again, too lazy to list out. ;_; Sowwy. Still overworked and underpaid, you know the deal.

The story is enjoyable, though. ^_^ Muchly so. <p><font color=navy><hr width="47%"><small>Hello, my name is Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!<hr width="31%">Quotes of the moment:

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Sun Sep 01, 2002 11:22 pm

Yesh, yesh... and I still want her for my auntie.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Sep 02, 2002 5:09 am

"Captain!" Catalia exclaims, leaping to her feet. "You gotta stop!"

"Why's that, Belnades?" Captain Gerrard asks, his voice almost flippant as he looks back at the woman.

"The Hull's been damaged, sir," she explains, her face and her voice obviously full of concern, "I saw it after Pervy and I fell in. We can't risk closing in on them like this."

"Report," Gerrard says, his voice now calm and very serious. The crew is obviously listening; those who are not working stare at the two openly. "How bad is this damage? Where is it precisely?"

"Starboard side," Catalia quickly explains, pointing to approximately where the bowed in section of hull lies. "It's a good four yards wide, and maybe seven long. I'd guess it a hand's depth in the middle."

"I see..." says Gerrard, stratching his chin. He turns, and paces a little bit. "I knew that whale that swam too close must have done something. Hmmm..."

The Captain starts to walk across the deck once or twice, seemingly in deep thought. Catalia glances back at the nekojin, obviously a bit nervous. Pervy nods, then adds, "I saw it meself, Captain. Th' hull's just not fit t' take any sort o' hit." The Sushijin favors him a thankful look for backing her claims. Gerrard stops, and rubs his eyes. The Crew is dead silent.

"New orders, Captain?" Catalia prompts hopefully.

"Stay on course!" Gerrard declares.

"Laydin!" Catalia exclaims, shock clear on her face "You can't be serious!"

"We were able to take the Gem of Kohlingen just fine like this," The captain explains, a bit of anger creeping into his tone as he glances over at the first mate. " The Midnight Rose has held up perfectly so far. One more raid isn't going to hurt her; she's served us well. You've even pointed out yourself that it's just a small dent."

The Captain looks over the bowspirit. Pervy does so as well, and sees the Rivan ship is now visible. Soon, they will be on top of the vessel. "Now get get ready Belnades, we're drawing near."

For a moment, the First Mate is speechless. Then she sighs, and says, "Aye Captain..."

"Sir!" Pervy exclaims, leaping to his feet, "That ain't th' Gem o' Kohlingen! If th' lookout's right, we might hafta do more than just wave th' flag! Ye gotta think 'bout this, sir! They might well mean t' fight back!"

"Pervy," Gerrard calmly, hardly looking back at Pervy "I know what I'm doing. Rivan captains are cowards, just like that merchant you used to sail under. They'll fold the second they see we have the flag, and that we have a full wind behind us."

"But Captain!" Protests the nekojin.

"PERVY!" Gerrard shouts raising his voice for the first time that Pervy has ever heard. The Captain marches over to the White mage, and glares into his eyes. The Crew watches quietly, as does the first mate.

"This is a combat situation! If you want to make sure things go right, you had best get to making sure that this ship is at it's best! The lives of your fellow crew are at stake! Right now, if you want to make sure the ship isn't hurt, do the job you signed on to do! I know what I'm doing! I've sailed this see for nearly ten years now, and I know how these situations go! Now hurry up and get to your post!" <p><table align="center" cellpadding=2><tr><td>Image</td><td align="center">Rum, White Magic, an' Cabbits.
That's th' life fer me.

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:31 pm

Dun dun dun dun....

They're going to crash and get broken, aren't they? o.o

DARN you for leaving cliffhangers, Unkie!

Um, anyways... in the last paragraph, "see" should be "sea". And you have a habit of capitalizing nouns, like "Hull".

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:25 am

(Fun Sailing facts to make your life easier: Port = Left, Starboard = Right. This is from standing at the helm, mind you.)

He's right, ain't he? Pervy's mind races. He's been doin' a lot o' 'is life. This tis me first raid! I ain't even ready t' dash cross th' damned deck an' board 'em yet! Am I?

The young pirate looks at the Cargo Fluyte, and shakes his head. It's getting closer by the second, and he knows it won't take them long to wonder why Gerrard hasn't raised the flag yet, and figure out what's going on.

Oddly, Pervy doesn't feel too bad at all about what they are about to do. What he has heard from the other sailors has shown him that virtually every merchant ship was like Crowe's. They treat their crews like possessions, and care nothing about the people they are supposed to serve. They exist only to squeeze every last bent gil from the people. Having experieinced this firsthand; Pervy feels very little remorse at the thought of striking bad at those who tried to take his freedom for their greed.

But dammit! He berates, Gerrard's bein' a damned fool 'bout this! Why're we chargin' straight in? Dammit, all it takes tis a damn decent shot t' sink us! Wait a damned minute...

"Captain!" Pervy shouts, "we shoud be tryin' t' get in front o' that thing!"

"Get to your position now!" Gerrard shouts, whirling on the ex-white mage. His normally handsome face is marred by anger, as his eyes bore into Pervy's. "I've had enough with your questioning! This is a life or death situation! All you're doing is giving the enemy more time prepare!"

"Will ye bloody listen yer a bloody moment!" Pervy shouts back, "Yer not thinkin'! Angle t' starboard so we head toward their prow!"

"And let them ram us?!" Counters Gerrard, "I thought there was supposed to be a damned hull was supposed to be damaged! I'm certain that would help it out!"

"Ye think they'd risk breachin' their damned Cargo Hold?" Pervy snaps back, "We be talkin' bout damned merchants! They ain't gonna right their damned cargo fer nothin'! They'll cut the sails, an' try t' get 'round us! That's when we angle th' cannons aftward! Horde 'em just how we need 'em! Th' damned Hole's starboard, so we'll take th' hit t' th' port side!"

"That'll work perfectly!" The First Mate declares, as she walks between Gerrard and Pervy, placing a hand on both their chests to keep them apart. It is only then that Pervy realizes he was closing in on the captain threateningly; and that Gerrard was doing likewise. He also realizes the entire crew is watching them now.

Captain Gerrard glares down at the smaller Sushijin, and growls, "Mutiny on your part too, Belnades?"

"Sense on my part, more like it!" She snaps back. "What in the world has gotten into you, Laydin!? You're acting like a damned idiot just because someone's got a better idea than you do! You're making me sorry I ever signed on!"

"She's right, Captain," Comes the voice of Hawkin's from the helm, "You're being a damned fool."

The rest of the crew is silent. But as the nekojin looks at their faces, he can that some look ready to shout out their support. Others look impatient and fed up with the argument; the ex-white mage can't tell whose side they fall upon. A few are trying to ignore the whole affair, with varying degrees of success.

"Fine," Gerrard says, sighing as he closes his eyes. All the fight seems to flow out of him, leaving the captain looking almost... broken. The confidence he possessed only a few moments ago seems gone. "We'll do it your way, Pervy."

Looking over he shouts, "I want those Starboards cannons angled aftward now! We don't need those Rivans sneaking after our rear now! Hawkin's, you know which way to go! Now get moving! We've given them way too much time already!

"AYE AYE!" The sailors shout, as they scramble to get back to work. Pervy smiles, known the battle he just won was an important one. He moves to take postion as well, but a hand falls heavily upon his shoulder. He looks back to see Captain Gerrad, the old man's eyes gazing into Pervy's own.

"You stay with me for now," Gerrard says, "There are a few things I want to show you."

"A-aye sir!" Pervy replies, unnerved by this. Oddly, it seemed that Gerrard wasn't so much ordering the nekojin as making a request... <p><table align="center" cellpadding=2><tr><td>Image</td><td align="center">Rum, White Magic, an' Cabbits.
That's th' life fer me.

Seig No-Pants!</td><td>Image</tr></table></p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=unclepervy>Uncle]&nbsp; Image at: 9/5/02 9:27:33 am

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:42 am

You know what would really suck now is if Pervy judged wrong, and the ship rams them...

Oh, and fun fun story. I'm REALLY enjoying this one. ^_^ <p><font color=navy><hr width="47%"><small>Hello, my name is Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!<hr width="31%">Quotes of the moment:

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:08 am

Yesh indeedy. But "striking bad"? Don't you mean back?

At any rate... my unkie is a TACTICIAN!

*dances*

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:42 am

*waits for stuff*

...and...uh...yeah. <p>
I am an arrogant bastard.
And now, since I want to be unique like everbody else, a quote:
"So what you're saying is that Nintendo and Sony are in league with each other, and possibly the Red Skull?" - EKDS5K</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:51 am

The ship begins to bank starboard, as the men scurry to readjust the sails and take the fullest possible advantage of the wind. Pervy can hear the creaks and groans of protesting cannons below, being repositioned as he suggested. A small thrill runs down the back of his neck, while he puts on the robes the captain brought him. This the first real battle he has ever been in, and already he has done all but command the crew itself in planning it!

At first, the Rivan Cargo Fluyte tries to angle starboard on its own, hoping to slip behind The Midnight Rose. A few warning shots by Catalia's orders quickly discourage that. slowly but surely, the Rivan ship horded forward. It's only other option is to run, and expose itself entirely to Gerrard's Cannons, with only Gerrard's mercy to keep them afloat. Few merchants trust the mercy of an oncoming pirate.

The ex-white mage watches as Captain Gerrard barks orders to crew. So used to seeing the man play a passive role in the ship's workings, it feels a little odd to hearing Gerrard barking orders with every ounce of authority that Edison once wielded aboard the Gem of Kohlingen. Pervy listens attentively to each order, as the captain commands his crew to correct their course for the wind and for the Rivan ship's course.

However, something seems to be missing from captain's voice. It has all the force of Edison's orders, but seems to lack the conviction behind it. Pervy feels as though Gerrard were simply acting out a scene, going more by memory than acting reacting to the situation at hand.

This makes no difference to the Rivan Cargo Fluyte, as it is herded surely but slowly toward The Midnight Rose. Trapped between the pirates' cannons and the wind, they cannot escape. Pervy watches the merchant crew work frantically too lower the sails, and smiles inwardly. He was right; they keep their cargo near the front of the ship and have no desire to risk breaching the hull.

Gerrard liftsone of his pistols, and takes careful aim. Then he fires off a shot, and drops one of the crewmen on the other ship. "Ready the hooks!" Catalia orders, speaking to a half-dozen pirates standing near the starboard side. Pervy's heart races, as the Cargo Fluyte draws closer. A dozen pirates stand ready on the masts, ropes in hand and ready to swing aboard the prize and fight. Pervy himself intends to follow them when Gerrard orders the main raid to begin, leaping onto the enemy deck himself.

Anticipation and fear vy in his heart for dominance. This is his first real battle, against real enemies who intend to do everything in their power to destroy him. He holds his cutlass ready; he doesn't recall when he drew it; but he wonders if it will be enough. The water dripping from his hair does more than enough to remind him of how much he has to learn.

Those thoughts are shaken from his head as The Midnight Rose lurches suddenly, it's timbers screaming out in protest. Even though the Cargo Fluyte has done all it can to cut it's speed, it still slams into the Barque with enough force to jar it badly. Several of the pirates lose their footing and fall as the ships collide; Pervy is thrown off balance, but his agile feet let him find it again easily.

"Grapple it!" Gerrard commands, as the sailors on the masts swing overhead. They land on the Rivan's deck, and find themselves met by several mercenaries and an armed crew ready to fight. Gerrard's prediction that they would fold seems to have been very wrong. The hooks fly over the Cargo Fluyte's raling, securing the ship before it can drift away. As the lines are tied off, Gerrard shouts, "CHARGE!"

Pervy shouts at the top of his lungs as he dashes toward the bow of the Rivan ship. The voices of the other pirates raise with his, as they leap over the railing and charge into the fray. The pirate's cries weave together into a single berserk scream, as they flood onto the Cargo Fluyte.

With a single graceful leap, Pervy vaults onto the deck of the ship; moving with all the agility of his feline heritage. A thousand sounds clash in his ears; steel ringing against steel, cries of agony, curses and insults, a gunshot... All weaving together into a tapestry of sound that is war, a sound Pervy was taught to hate and abhor.

One sound in particular catches the nekojin's ears; that of a oncoming shout! Pervy looks over in time to see a black-haired man in leather armor lined with metal studs charging his way! Seeing his upraised blade, the pirate leaps back from the mercenary, as the latter's sword descends. It passes mere inches away from Pervy, and bites into the wooden deck.

His heart racing, Pervy recalls one of Catalia's lessons: take the offensive, and hold it as long possible. Heeding that, he slashes high at the mercenary, hoping to strike the man's head. Pervy's opponent frees his blade from the deck and snaps it up in time to deflect the nekojin's cutlass away from his neck. Instead, the sword skips upwards, and leaves a long, shallow gash across the mercenary's forehead.

Pervy steps back as he recovers his stance, and the mercenary turns to face him, angrily shouting, "Bastard!". The black-haired man lashes out with his sword as he turns, half-blinded by the blood flowing down his forehead into his eyes. Pervy raises his blade, as he reads the desperate attack in the man's motions, just as Catalia showed him.

Then, moving forward, he puts her last lesson to use. Pervy slashes low, aiming at the mercenary's leg. However, he doesn't put much effort behind it, for the slash is just a distraction. As the dark-haired man moves to deflect his slash, the nekojin launches he real attack. He balls his off-hand into a fight, and slams it into the merc's nose with as much force as he can! <p><table align="center" cellpadding=2><tr><td>Image</td><td align="center">Rum, White Magic, an' Cabbits.
That's th' life fer me.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:36 pm

"Pervy feels as though Gerrard were simply acting out a scene, going more by memory than acting reacting to the situation at hand." -- acting and reacting? or just reacting or acting?

"liftsone" -- ye olde space eating demon got to ya >;P

"vy" -- I think the spelling is "vie," not sure, though

"He holds his cutlass ready; he doesn't recall when he drew it; but he wonders if it will be enough." -- I'm not so sure about the use of two semicolons here. I'd use a comma for the last one.

"One sound in particular catches the nekojin's ears; that of a oncoming shout!" -- I think a dash would be better than a semicolon here, and that should be "an oncoming..."

More good stuff from my talented bro. ^_^ I especially like the way you've handled the tension of the boarding and the battle. More, more, I say. n_n <p><font color=navy><hr width="47%"><small>Hello, my name is Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!<hr width="31%">Quotes of the moment:

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:24 am

... As momma said.

AND GO UNKIE!!! *dances*

Uncle Pervy

DONE!

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Sep 22, 2002 10:03 pm

(The Final bit of this story. Enjoy!)

Pervy's fist connects with a loud and very satisfying snap, sending a wave of blood gushing from the mercenary's ruined nose. Next , the nekojin slams his knee into the stunned man's groin, doubling him over in shock and agony. Then, without a shred of mercy, Pervy jabs his cutlass between the man's ribs, slicing through the armor and sliding it through the flesh beneath easily.

The mercenary falls with a long, strained groan; lacking the wind in his lungs to properly scream out his agony. Ignoring the sounds, Pervy steps over the remains, and assesses the battle on the deck. It seems that Gerrard's forces are well-matched by the Rivan Sailor and their hired Mercenaries. While the nekojin is certain the Pirates will win out in the end, it will be a costly victory.

However, the ex-white mage has one trick up his sleeve that might turn the tides of the battle in Gerrard's favor. He narrows his eyes and holds out a hand level to the ground. Slowly, he draws magical energy to himself, as his lips begin to shape the words of a spell. Blue-white radiance shines from the nekojin's hand, as the spell begins to take hold.

"Damned mage!" Shouts one of the mercenaries. Pervy looks over to see a very solidly-built man carrying a claymore charing his direction! For a moment, Pervy stammers the next words of his spell, causing the nimbus around his to flicker. He fights to maintain his concentration, and backpedals away from the charging man.

Before the mercenary can close in, Catalia's voices cries out, "Hydraga!" A blast of water flies past Pervy, and slams into the man's face! The mercenary is literally knocked from his feet by the force of the attack, and sent flying back into the fray.

The blue-haired fight mate appears beside Pervy, and smiles over at him. "Not too bad, Fuzzy," she tells him, "But y' gotta be a little more observant. and don't be so damned obvious about those spells. Even my old man can see you casting it!"

The ex-white-mage just nods, as he focuses back upon his spell. As he gathers more and more energy to himself, the first mate stands before him protectively. Another mercenary engages her, but she seems more than able to deal with him. The energy wells within the nekojin's soul, crying out for release.

With his words and his thoughts, Pervy directs that energy. Then, finally, he steps forward and releases it, crying "FADE!" at the top of his lungs. Blue-white energy erupts from the mage's hands, arcing and fanning out through the deck. It washes over the merchant crew and their mercenaries, drawing cries of agony from their throats!

In the hands of an experienced mage, Fade would have reduced the merchant crew to ash. However much natural talent the nekojin might have, he lacks that experience. Still, the spell stikes at and burns it's victims terribly. However, the spell's true value comes not from the damage it inflicts. It's true effects become known moments later as the pirates take advantage of the distraction cause by the sudden attack, and cut into off guard mercenaries and sailors.

Within moments, two-thirds of the Rivan forces lie bleeding upon the deck, dead or dying. Among them are the the captain and virtaully all of the mercenaries. Steel clatters against wood, as many of survivors toss their swords to the deck and cry out, "I surrender!" The rest of the Rivans follow suit, seeing how terribly outnumbered they are.

The next few hours are spent putting the surviving Merchant crew to work. Gerrard declared that he had no use for a damaged ship, then noted that the Cargo Fluyte seemed to be in excellent condition. The merchant crew seemed to be more than happy to trade ships in exchange for their lives.

The defeated are set to work tranferring over all of the cargo, cannons, and personal possessions aboard The Midnight Rose. While they do this, Pervy puts his white magic to work, healing the wounds that his fellow crewmates accrued during the battle. Fortune was with them this day, for the nekojin is able to heal everyone who is not beyond saving.

Then, Captain Gerrard calls Pervy and Catalia belowdecks. The young pirate knows that they intend to survey the plunder, but he isn't sure why Gerrard invited him along. A witness, perhaps? Pervy discards that idea, Catalia would be more than enough of a witness.

Could Gerrrd want him dead? That idea Pervy tosses away even more quickly. The ex-white mage has proved his usefulness several times over recently. The crew wouldn't stand for him to be disposed of so thoughtlessly. Not only that, Pervy knows that Gerrard isn't that sort of scum. Edison or Crowe might have done that, but not Gerrard.

Thus, the nekojin really has no why he's with the Captain and the First Mate as the the former opens the lock to the cargo hold. The key he took from the merchant Captain's cooling body fits perfectly, and pops the door open with a slight creaking noise. He takes the lamp that the First Mate was holding from her hands and walks inside.

The light falls upon a a number of small wooden crates, stacked and restrained by ropes against the walls of the hold. They are stacked immaculately, and uniformly. Gerrard smiles as he produces a crowbar from under his coat, and tears into the nearest crate. As the nails fall away, he tears aside the wooden slats, and peers inside curiously. Pervy and Catalia close in, desiring a peak for themselves.

"No wonder they fought so hard for this..." Gerrard whispers. "Look at it..." Inside the crate rests a half-dozen singots of silver, packed tightly in sawdust! Pervy's eyes widen, as he tries to guess at how many gil it must all be worth! Catalia looks over at him, a smile dancing on her lips.

"Open another, Pervy," Gerrard says, handing Pervy the Crowbar, while he reaches into the crate and pulls out one of the heavy bars of refined silver. The white mage just nods, and walks over to a nearby crate at chest height. It is not hard to pry the crate open at all, revealing a set of gem-studded chalices.

"What'd you find, Kitty?" Catalia ugres, walking over to peer inside the crate.

"Some Goblets," Pervy says, picking one up gingerly. "They look bloody valuable, though. Got some nice rocks 'em in."

"Throw one over here," Gerrard says, replacing the ingot he took out, and holding out his hand. PErvy tosses him the drinking vessel lightly, and the Captain catches it easily. He purses his lips as he looks the cup over, then asks, "How many are there, Belnades?"

"Seven sir," calls back the first mate, as she digs around in the box happily, humming a little tune to herself as mentally accounts for the plunder.

"I though so," Gerrard says, as he walks over and replaces the goblet in its box. Then he smiles at Pervy and Catalia, and declares. "Let's get a look at the rest of the plunder, before the crew gets a little restless, eh?"

The other crates contain a variety of treasures. Some contain more ingot of silver, others have minor art objects, like the drinking vessels. A few contain some bolts of cloth, or a bags of exported sugar. Much to the Crew's delight, there are also a few casks of fine brandy hidden in the back.

It takes perhaps two hours to unload The Midnight Rose and tranfer the supplies onto the the Rivan ship. It is a little larger than the Barque, so the plunder and supplies fit nicely. However, there is not enough space for the cannons from both ships. So the pirates take as many as they are able to fit in the cannon decks and the storage hold, then leave the rest on the Barque. After they take all of the gunpowder.

It does not take nearly as long to carry over few possesions that the Rivans are allowed to keep. They are left with food, water, a chart, and a compass; and little else. As the transfer is complete, Gerrard orders the sloop to turn, and present it's portside cannons to the Barque as it sails off.

Then, when the Rivans arre just a distant spot upon the horizon, Gerrard calls out, "Gather around, all of you! I've got some important to say!"

Pervy's stomach sinks as the fall upon his ears. Almost tinidly, he walks forward, knowing that the Captain is going to deal with what happened earlier. He knows that normally Gerrard can't mete out any sort of punishment, but normally they are not in a life or death situation. If Gerrard chooses, the nekojin knows that the captain would be within full rights to cut him down. Well, here goes nothing...

Gerrard surveys the pirates as they gather around him calmly. Then he announces, "You are all aware of the harsh words that Pervy and I shouted at each other a few hours ago. Such things are not to be tolerated under any captain's command in such a situation. Pervy, if you would approach."

"Aye sir," Says the former white mage, as he approaches the captain. Ain't nowhere t' run that won't put me inna shark's belly, anyhow. Might as well take it like I gotta spine.

And if th' bastard tries t' take me down, I'm takin' 'im wit' me...

"What've ye got planned, Captain sir?" Pervy asks, as he stops a few feet from Gerrard, and looks the pirate in eyes. He tries to read what thoughts lurk behind the Captain's green eyes, but they remain fathomless, and his face stony.

"You mutinied against me, Pervy," Gerrard says evenly, "I gave a direct order in a life or death situation, and you ignored it. Then you challenged me when the lives of your fellow crew were at risk."

As the Captain speaks, Pervy hears several of the sailors grumble angrily. His hopes buoy at the sound; maybe the crew won't let Gerrard punish him. Ignoring the rumbles, the Captain continues, "You mutinied, Pervy, and you succeeded. Belnades backed you, Hawkins backed you, everyone backed you. You mutinied and won."

"What th' bloody hell ye babblin' 'bout, sir?" Pervy asks, his confusion obvious in his voice.

In response, Gerrard takes off his hat, and places it on the nekojin's head. "You mutinied and won. You're the Captain now; I'm stepping down."

"What the hell?!" Pervy exclaims.

"Laydin, you're joking!" Catalia exclaims, her voice raising above the surpirsed cries from the crew as she runs forward. "You can't just turn over the ship to a boy!"

"Belnades," Gerrard says, "You and I both know he's notjust some green sailor. He knows the sea, and he's just proven he got talent at raiding. And... let's face it, he rallied the crew against me."

He looks from Catalia , and addresses the crew. "I wasn't thinking, and I might have gotten us all killed. You all saw that, and you all turned on me. You know I messed up, and you aren't gonna trust me anymore. From now on, you would wonder whether or not I was thinking. And I've lost enough of your respect that you were willing to question me when it counted. You won't trust me again. So it's time for me to step down."

Pervy just listens numbly, lost in his own whilring thoughts. Captain?! Me?! Th' bloody hell tis 'e thinkin?! I can't be th' bloody Captain o' a ship! I dunno what th' hell I'm doin'! Th' hell's goin' on in that tiny little brain o' 'is?

"Sir," Pervy says. Gerrard doesn't seem to hear him over the voices of the crew. His eye twitches in annoyance, as he whirls around and shouts, "Shut th' hell up so I can bloody talk wit' th' bloody Captain! SHUT TH' HELL UP!"

The Crew falls silent, and watch intently as Pervy meets Gerrard's eyes and says, "Sir, I ain't got a damned idea how t' run a bloody ship. If ye wanna step down, I ain't th' one ye need t' be askin' t' do it. Catalia's a damn sight more skilled than I am."

"But you're the one who lead the mutiny, Pervy," Gerrard answers, "You've also proven you know how sail, and you know how to fight. Talent, Pervy. You have it, more than you realize. That's why I'm turiong things over to you. I'm not just gonna dive overboard, don't worry about that. I'll teach you the ropes, and make sure you know what your doing. Pervy, I know you want to do this. You might not know it, but I do."

Do I? Pervy wonders. Do I really wanna be captain?

He closes his eyes, and takes a deep breath; not realizing that was holding it. He thinks back to all the respect that Gerrad has gained, to how much he wanted to be like the pirate. Gerrard never demanded respect, not like Crowenor like his teachers at Everbright. He was never ordered to respect the man, yet he did.

T' be respected, wit'out forcin' folks t' do it. Aye, that's what I want. I wanna be like Gerrard. .

"Aye Gerrard," Pervy says, "I'll do it. I'll need yer bloody help, but I'll do it an' make ye proud, Captain."

"Call me Laydin," the former Captain corrects, "And don't worry, you won't have nearly as many problems as you think you are.

"Well," Catalia says, looking at Pervy, "He's right. Ye've a lot to learn, but ye can learn it. I served as Laydin's First Mate and Quartermaster ably, and I'll do the same for ye. Congratualations, Captain Pervy."

The nekojin liked the way that sounded. Smiling, he says,"Thankee, Kate. I guess ye'll be workin' extra hard now, 'side from then sword lessons, eh?"

"Bah, We've still got Laydin to help out for awhile, Kitty," The sushijin points out, winking at him. The newly appointted captain realizes then that he'll never escape that nickname."So, I can still drill ye properly for awhile. Don't worry, I'll have ye ready to use that cutlass soon enough."

"Aye then," Answers Pervy, smiling at the first mate. "Thankee."

The White mage then turns to face the crew, and straightens the hat. "Alright then!" He calls out, "If I'm gonna be takin' over, I gotta know if yer gonna follow me. I intends t' keep th' ships articles just like they were, and I dun intend t' change a damned thing on 'em. But lemme tell ye want I do intend t' change."

The crew listens attentively as he continues, "We're gonna be fightin' a little smarter, like we just did. So if one o' ye get a good idea, lemme know 'bout it. it dun matter when. And if yer ideas work out, ye get a two-man's share o' th' take. But I dun want ye denyin' yer duties t' run yer jaws in th' middle o' a battle. Gerrard twas right t' be angry at me 'bout that.

"Now then, There's fifteen casks o' brandy down there wit' our names on it. I wanna see at least three o' em empty by morning!"

A cheer rises from the crew. Pervy just smiles as he adjusts the tri-corner hat so that it doesn't chafe his ears. That cheer fills him with confidence. Not because the entire ship is going to be hung over come morning, nor because of the happy antcipation of the revelry to come. Instead, that cheer fills him with confidence because there was no dissent. No one objected; the crew accepted him.

If they think I can do it, he muses, Then I'll hafta do me damnest not t' disappoint 'em.

That's th' life fer me.

FlamingDeth

Re: DONE!

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:21 am

OMG IT DONE?!?

Curses. Pervy, I hereby order you to start another.

OR THERE WILL BE MUCH STABBING AND PAIN. <p>
I am an arrogant bastard.
And now, since I want to be unique like everbody else, a quote:
"So what you're saying is that Nintendo and Sony are in league with each other, and possibly the Red Skull?" - EKDS5K</p>

Uncle Pervy

Done and Done

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Sep 23, 2002 9:10 am

Your wish is my command.

This has parts two and three of a seven-part story arc I have planned. I'm going to try and start work on part four soon.

It'll take place a few years later, and detail a fun little meeting. Image

The Fifth will be later yet, and is a Secret. Image

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Sep 24, 2002 6:47 pm

"charing" -- charging

"The blue-haired fight mate" -- first mate
"humming a little tune to herself as mentally accounts for the plunder." -- as she mentally accounts...?
"arre" -- are
"turiong" -- turning
"And don't worry, you won't have nearly as many problems as you think you are." -- as you think you will
"Congratualations" -- Congratulations

aaaaaaaaaand...

HUWAY! *tackleglompchomps bro* ^_^ Yay yay! Great story. Very entertaining and well done. You're a great story-teller indeed! <p><center><font color=navy><small><hr width="47%">The Whoosh Owns You.
Image<hr width="47%"></center></font></small></p>

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:59 am

*glomples the Unkie muchly* Yay! Yay! Yay!

Next

Return to Fanfiction and Other Writings