Philsys Revisions!

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Re: A sheet!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:12 pm

That's pretty well how I assumed it worked, actually. Shields have good AC, but it doesn't do anyone any good, so the question becomes why bother? The only time I see it coming into play is if someone's deliberately trying to destroy or hack through the shield itself. <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

PS: Chain attacks?

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:07 am

I was tossing ideas around with Neb and Pervy earlier, and eventually I thought: "You know, there's really nothing in place in any system I know to accurately represent what happens if one guy gets kicked in the head too many times really quickly. Someone should make one."

So, here's my attempt at that for PS. It wouldn't happen very often, and might actually be underpowered for the intended effect, but:

When a character is critted, he suffers a -1 to PA. If super-critted, -2.
If the character is critted again immediately after, these reductions are doubled, in addition to the original reduction. The character is also pushed back in the Init order for this round, or if he has already acted, in the next round. Any additional crits or super crits at this point only cause the character to continue to be pushed back in the init order. These effects only last for one round.
Example:

Johny McBadguy is fighting three Doman Guards. He strikes first, and deals Guard one a nasty sword cut. In retaliation, Gaurd one swings out with a baton, and manages to supercrit! Johny suffers a -2 to PA.
Guard two reciprocates, and manages to crit again! Johny now has a -5 to PA. -4 for the doubled reduction, and a -1 for the crit itself. Johny is pushed back in the init order for the new round by one place.
Guard three steps in to try to finish the job. He only manages a glancing hit, and Johny is getting back up in a daze. However, he got pushed back in the Init order. His PA returns...
... But Guard one beans him over the head again. Not a crit, but by now Johny is probably well down and out in this fight.

For Magic: In the case of magic for damage, apply penalties as normal, but in addition to penalties to PA for being dazed in combat, apply the same crit/supercrit penalties to Magic Defense rolls. In the case of magic for effects instead of damage: Apply only penalties to Magic Defense.

Comments, criticisms, anything I'm forgetting? <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Archmage144

Re: PS: Chain attacks?

Unread postby Archmage144 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:49 pm

I've unfortunately been a little behind on this thread, and now the wiki is eating my time to the point where I got 5 hours of sleep last night and haven't eaten all day because as soon as I got out of class I went straight back to wikifying RPGWW. My enthusiasm for the wiki is absurd.

Anyway, there IS a system that does what you're talking about, and it's called GURPS. In GURPS, taking damage means you take a penalty equal to that damage on your next turn to DX and IQ, which basically penalizes everything you can do to continue fighting or defend yourself. GURPS is a very simulationist system, and getting hit in a duel often means losing straightaway. Realistic? Sure.

But I think it's too harsh for the more cinematic Philsys.

I'm not sure what a super-crit is, but I am guessing you're talking about the double-crit where you beat your opponent by 30. That happens so rarely in my experience that having a rule like that that applies only to double-crits is unnecessary.

Nama actually proposed an admittedly way more complicated version of what you're talking about--critical blows should not only deal additional damage but penalize the target in other ways. Both ideas have suggested that getting your ass beat should shove you back in the init order, possibly opening you up to a follow-up attack. The penalties are cumulative and possibly long-lasting in both variations.

I like the idea conceptually, because it's neat, even it it could get complicated. I don't like the idea systematically.

Critical hits are a function of randomness; more often than not a crit has more to do with a good die roll than with the attacker actually having a base AT or whatever 15 points higher than the defender's PA. The wider the margin between attacker and defender the larger the chance of a critical blow, but it's still functionally luck.

PCs must, over the course of their lives, face many, many adversaries. The average PC will fight dozens of enemies and usually emerge victorious (as it should be, not that it should always be easy). If a PC scores a critical blow to finish off a hated foe and is able to follow it with another set of attacks that obliterate the target, it can be very cinematically impressive.

If a lucky crit from a minor enemy has the same effect on a PC, most players are going to feel incredibly gypped.

Most NPCs that see combat are intended to do so only once. They will fight the PCs and ultimately lose. An individual NPC will fight far fewer PCs than a PC will fight NPCs. Statistically speaking, an individual PC is more likely to suffer a critical hit than he is to deal one to a specific NPC.

For example, Lady Deeum might have to fight her way through a horde of kobolds (say 20). If her chance of scoring a critical hit is 1/4, she will score critical hits on 5 kobolds. Those kobolds will probably die horrible deaths. But even if the kobolds have half her fighting skill and score critical hits only 1/8 of the time, Deeum will suffer about 3 critical hits. For Deeum, a heroic PC, her criticals mean death to one of many potential adversaries. The criticals by the kobolds mean she's getting her ass beaten, maybe even dying after the first blow, and there's only one of her!

This is an obvious reason why one person is foolish to take on a large army, but that isn't really the point. The point is that increased randomness favors monsters and is disadvantageous to PCs, because over time, monsters have many more "chances" to "get lucky" and score a deathblow critical hit. In general, I'm not in favor of rules that increase the power of randomness for this reason.

And that's my comment. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:16 pm

I hadn't thought of it that way. o.o I concede your points and withdraw the proposal. <p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:55 pm

HOLY FUCKING SHIT I REWROTE PHILSYS

http://mysidia.org/rpgww/index.php?title=Philsys

I estimate that I am about 3/4 of the way done. The next step is going to be incorporating any revisions that have come up in this thread that I haven't found a way to fit into a logical, organized structure yet.

I also need to create pages for weapon lists and possibly one for the spellbook; additionally, I need to make logical sense of my theoretical drivel about penalties and benchmarks. <p>

</p>

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:47 pm

The only reason I do not withdraw my proposal is because it's a house rule anyway.

However, I instead give another proposal!

If an attack that an enemy is either immune to or absorbs manages to crit, it deals normal damage as if it didn't crit, and as if there wasn't that resistance/immunity/absorption.

Note that I do not count a physical attack against an ethereal, or a "targeted" spell like Kamos' Black Reaper against something it's not targeted against, a negation, but instead a miss, for purposes of clarification. <p>"DO YOU THINK YOU CAN DEFEAT US? OUR TREASURE MAY BE HEAVY, BUT WE ARE LIGHT AS WIND. ONLY MAGICS MAY HURT US, BUT ONLY WE KNOW WHICH ONES." --Omoikane, Digital Devil Saga 2</p>

Archmage144

Re: Well:

Unread postby Archmage144 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:35 am

Ranged weapons should get the skill bonus to damage also. I'll add this to the rules later.

You get multiple missile dodges per round, infinite dodges, in fact. This rule is reflected in the new PS rewrite and is also explained there.

Come up with your own rules for melee target locations.

I don't care if you decide that critical hits bypass spell immunity, but I think that casting a fire spell on a fire elemental because you might critical and still deal damage is a retarded idea, strategically speaking. I will never use a rule like that in my RPs. If anyone else suggests any more rules that have to do with critical hits I'll cut them. <p>

</p>

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Re: Well:

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:41 am

Besides, Doug, even if that did make sense from a mechanics perspective (which I'd waver on myself), what would be the explanation in-game? To use Brian's example, what effect would cause a creature composed of energies from the elemental plane of fire to be harmed by additional pseudo-fire energy? What is the crit representing in this case in-game? <p>

"Never let your morals get in the way of doing what is right" - Salvor Hardin
</p>

NamagomiMk0

RE: Stuff that I don't care about writing out in full

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:17 pm

Simply put, this would represent overpowering the being's actual state of being, so to say. This would result in, if nothing else, destabilization as a result of too much energy containment, in the case of an elemental absorption. In the case of an elemental immunity, it's simply too powerful to ignore.

So what would it take to get something pertaining to immunity/absorption breaking through?

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Re: RE: Stuff that I don't care about writing out in full

Unread postby Capntastic » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:48 am

Like putting too much air in a balloon!

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:20 am

Why does Elemental + More power = Unstable elemental, and not More Powerful Elemental, again? <p>
<div style="text-align:center">What's wrong with this ring?!</div></p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:29 am

Hey. The old Centurions cartoon taught me that kind of physics works. Are you arguing with POWER X-TREME? <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:15 am

Let me answer your question by posing another.

Why are the abilities to shrug off or be healed by certain energy frequencies absolute? Why would they be so? It's not as if this is FF, you know. <p>"DO YOU THINK YOU CAN DEFEAT US? OUR TREASURE MAY BE HEAVY, BUT WE ARE LIGHT AS WIND. ONLY MAGICS MAY HURT US, BUT ONLY WE KNOW WHICH ONES." --Omoikane, Digital Devil Saga 2</p>

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 pm

Well, because they're made out of that energy, they're not a container for it. That is literally what they are composed of. It'd be like trying to harm the ocean by shooting salt water at it. <p>

</p>

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:00 pm

I may grudgingly accept that being applicable for elementals. But everything ELSE, on the other hand--I don't see how an absorption would exist in that case, much less an absolute example of that or immunity. <p>"DO YOU THINK YOU CAN DEFEAT US? OUR TREASURE MAY BE HEAVY, BUT WE ARE LIGHT AS WIND. ONLY MAGICS MAY HURT US, BUT ONLY WE KNOW WHICH ONES." --Omoikane, Digital Devil Saga 2</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=namagomimk0>NamagomiMk0</A] at: 3/25/06 13:03

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:04 pm

Because in Gaera, creatures such as dragons, undead, demons, and celestials are elemental creatures. They are closely tied to an element and considered to be at least partially birthed from it. Their auras resonate incredibly strongly with elemental planes, making all creatures with an elemental immunity so tied to their associated element that they are functionally elementals with physical bodies.

The idea that "weaker" elemental creatures, such as less advanced dragons, should be able to be harmed by their element is represented by elemental resistances instead of immunities, in which case a very high-damage spell does quite a bit of damage regardless. To further the case that this is not a "Final Fantasy ripoff," d20 elemental types and subtypes work the same way, but they're arguably even harsher; dragons are immune to their respective energy types but not vulnerable to anything.

It should also be noted that since the choice to use enemies with elemental properties is a GM-specific one that there is no need for there to be a universal rule governing their application. There is only one mention of elemental immunities, resistances, or absorptions anywhere in the Philsys rules, and it isn't even in the "resolving magical attacks" section. It's in the "character abilities" section.

The tradition of resolving elemental attacks vs. susceptible or resistant creatures as is our common practice stems from early GMs who thought it was a good idea. I still think it's a good idea, because it makes sense.

It makes a lot more sense than a desperate character trying to burn fire elementals or blow up zombies with death magic, anyway. If you don't see the parallel, consider; should a critical success with a healing spell damage the healed instead because it "overcomes their innate absorption of life-elemental energy?" <p>

</p>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:21 am

Brian has the right of it.

Another way I look at it-

There's life.

There's death.

Then there's undeath.

Life is here. X | X <--- That's undeath.

That's death -^

Healing something pushes it to the left- Away from death.

Smacking something that's undead with magic DESIGNED to make something dead- Dark magic- Pushes them further from it, to the right. Smacking it normally will expend some of the dark magic already in said undead creature, and begin pushing it towards regular death. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">What's wrong with this ring?!</div></p>Edited by: Shinigori V2&nbsp; Image at: 3/26/06 9:23

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:41 am

I'd agree with Shini's comments as well, with the additional note that smacking anything will drain some of its natural magic and send it closer to death. In fact, you could probably map any elemental immunities/resistances in this fashion, with the creature's own element on the "undeath" side and their opposing element (assuming one exists) on the "life" side.

Another note on that, a theory Brian and I were tossing around earlier. Healing magic is pretty much always shown as distinct from holy magic in this setting. So, one could think of it as merely another type of elemental absorption, with a living thing being considered as a sort of "healing elemental"; their inner aura (the one that the main aura protects from the astral) would thus be that composed of such energies. It's just that it's so widespread that no one bothers to think of it in this sense.

This also happens to explain why healing magic works without having to introduce a new mechanic, which is always great. And is there an opposing element to healing magic? Working in Shini's comments, yes, as necromancy seems to be the logical decision for such. <p>

</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:23 pm

As an FYI for anyone who was not aware, the Philsys rewrite/repost on the wiki also contains revised pages for equipment, the sample skill list, and a digression on spell power benchmarks.

At the request of Charles, I'm going to put up some "generic NPC" templates sometime this weekend when I actually get a breather from real life. Most of the numbers in question are already dancing around in my head, they've just never been on paper anywhere in any sort of organized form, so it shouldn't be too hard when I actually get around to it.

If anyone has anything else they want to add to the wiki's Philsys pages, go for it! Making them more contentful would be awesome. My one request is that you not make huge edits that add lots of material to existing pages; if you want to cover a lot of new information or whatever make a new page instead, because the PS page itself is already way beyond the recommended page size. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image

RPGWW Wiki!</div></p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:47 pm

NPCs, take one:

http://mysidia.org/rpgww/index.php?title=Philsys_NPCs

Still room for more. I'd also like to shove up a few more monster examples of varied types, perhaps some more powerful ones as well. Unfortunately, a lot of my old monster sheets are toast, or if nothing else, they're on a computer back home manned by my incompetent brother who I probably couldn't get to send me the documents if I tried.

There's also a list of basic guidelines for creature types. These are a "soft" rule, and people can ignore portions of them at GM whim as long as deviations make sense. It's intentionally very open-ended so that no GM has to worry about it; the only creature types that are in any way defined are those that have very much so universally agreed upon powers and resistances. <p>

RPGWW Wiki!</div></p>

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:31 am

Proposed rule on "undercasting" a spell:

One may undercast a spell--that is, cast it as a lower level than maximum rank. However, when doing so, note that all effects based on rank are reduced to the effective rank being cast at--including damage (if applicable) and MATK. Minimum casting rank must be a positive nonzero integer (Read: Greater than zero) and may not be less than the spell's acquisition rank (so, for example, Kamos may NOT undercast Black Wave). <p>"DO YOU THINK YOU CAN DEFEAT US? OUR TREASURE MAY BE HEAVY, BUT WE ARE LIGHT AS WIND. ONLY MAGICS MAY HURT US, BUT ONLY WE KNOW WHICH ONES." --Omoikane, Digital Devil Saga 2</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:02 pm

Why would you do that? <p>

RPGWW Wiki!</div></p>

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:06 pm

Maybe it'll cost less MP?

Edit: ANOTHER POSSIBILITY. This way, a spell can be used to damage someone, without outright obliterating them. <p>

"My naturally quivering state makes any display of fear deliciously arbitrary" - Manowar Leader, Scary-Go-Round</p>Edited by: NebulaQueen at: 4/30/06 20:07

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:22 pm

It's like pulling a punch. You want to make a display of power, without actually killing your target.

Alternatively, subduing someone you care about whose started to act like a dumbfuck! This would be nice when say, someone makes fun of Griff's family history, and you don't want to watch him trample the responsible party. <p>

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:22 pm

Potentially if there are rules regarding lethality (say, in a duel).

Also useful if there are nazi angels hovering over your ass.

In all seriousness, however, some spells WOULD have a Rank-based MP component. Solis' Tarot spells come to mind here. <p>"DO YOU THINK YOU CAN DEFEAT US? OUR TREASURE MAY BE HEAVY, BUT WE ARE LIGHT AS WIND. ONLY MAGICS MAY HURT US, BUT ONLY WE KNOW WHICH ONES." --Omoikane, Digital Devil Saga 2</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:25 pm

In that event, I'd suggest some sort of mechanism (perhaps a metamagic-esque ability?) that lets mages deal non-lethal damage. A field that did such could be erected for a mage duel, for example.

If a spell has a rank-based MP component for some reason, undercasting makes more sense, in which case I'd say just let someone do it. <p>

RPGWW Wiki!</div></p>

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Improvised Spells

Unread postby Archmage » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:02 pm

People have used a variety of means to come up with ways to handle improvised spells in Philsys for a while now, and this morning I got the idea to try to consolidate things a little.

The basics in casting an improvised spell are the effect to be created and the caster's skill (rankwise).

It is not frequently necessary for characters to improvise new combat spells; most characters have all the blasting magic they need if they cast that kind of magic at all. As a result, it seems less necessary to worry about improvising "direct damage" magical attacks and more worth considering what other kinds of effects might be created. Ultimately, any direct damage effect can just be scaled appropriately with existing spells.

An improvised spell is basically any spell that is not on the character's sheet, but that the character might be able to cast somehow or devise on the spot. This might involve casting a spell on another character's sheet, in which case the GM can simply use that listing, potentially increasing the MP cost as a mitigating factor for the character attempting to do something atypical.

Any effect to be created can be assessed on the minor, moderate, major, incredible, and insanely incredible scale. Most improvised spells are going to be things that a character should reasonably be able to do but that aren't listed explicitly as spells. A 10th rank fire mage could light a pipe without needing an explicit spell that lights pipes; he's pretty capable of making and controlling fire! For someone with only 1 rank in fire magic, however, lighting a pipe is practically a full-fledged spell. Those sorts of cantrippy effects are the bulk of what the mage's fire magic can do.

If a character has sufficient ranks to produce an effect (1 for minor, 6 for moderate, 12 for major, 18 for incredible, and 26 for insanely incredible), he can try to improvise a spell in that category. The suggested costs assume that the character is proficient beyond the category. It will be much easier for the fire mage with 10 ranks to improvise a 1st rank effect than it will for the fire mage with 2 ranks; if the character cannot cast spells of one "tier" higher than the tier of the desired improvised effect, double or triple the listed cost.

The type of effect being created is heavily influenced by how much the caster needs to influence nature. If the caster wishes to set fire to a wheat field in dry summer weather, it will be a lower-tier effect than creating a huge conflagration during a torrential rain that burns all plant life despite the sheer amount of moisture present. Likewise, it would cost more to improvise a spell that melted steel than one that set fire to paper. Note that the example effects described below are for improvised spells; their overall strength is potentially less than spells a character has learned and prepared in advance.

Ranks 1-5 produce minor effects: Most truly minor effects should cost 2-4 MP, cost capping at ~16 MP.
Examples: Lighting a cigarette (Fire), chilling a beverage (Ice), creating illuminating light as bright as a lantern (Fire or Holy), testing soil mineral content and richness (Earth), determining the time of day (Time)
Ranks 6-11 produce moderate effects. Most moderate effects are going to cost 16-32 MP, costs capping at ~46 MP.
Examples: Regrowing a hand or foot, (Healing, maybe a whole arm or leg around rank 10), creating a warding circle to contain or repel spirits (Astral, Shadow, or Holy), transmuting lead into a more valuable metal temporarily (Enchanting)
Ranks 12-17 produce major effects: Improvising a major effect is quite a feat, and it should cost at least 54 MP for a skilled mage (which means that the caster has at least 18-20 ranks!), capping somewhere around 86 MP.
Examples: Creating a violent thunderstorm over a small town on an overcast day (Air or Lightning), causing an earthquake that measures about 5.0 on the Richter scale and spreads over one or two city blocks (Earth, about a rank 16 spell)
Ranks 18-25 produce incredible effects.: Practically impossible to improvise, especially without an involved ritual, but a group of skilled casters (rank 26+) or a very skilled caster with a group of assistants (leader rank 30+, assistants rank 18+) might be able to pull it off.
Examples: Teleport a castle ten miles from its current location (Teleportation or Space), carve out and fill an Olympic-size swimming pool near-instantaneously (Water and Earth and/or Enchanting), destroy all undead within an area the size of a football field (Holy)
Ranks 26-32 produce insanely incredible effects: Improvised? It's not going to happen.

A particularly difficult improvised effect might also require a skill check. Suggested TDs are: TD 20 to improvise a minor effect, TD 30 to improvise a moderate effect, TD 40 for a major effect, and TD 50-60 for an incredible effect.

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Unread postby Archmage » Tue May 01, 2007 3:54 pm

This seems really random, but I think skill ranks should be added to damage when using ranged weapons, otherwise their damages get outstripped way too fast.

I don't know if people have been doing this or not, but I've heard some people say yes they do and others say no they don't. Let's make it clear now that you SHOULD add your rank to your damage with bows, crossbows, firearms, etc. so that they stay useful at higher levels.

Previous

Return to OOC RP Discussion