Rain of Ashes: After the Fall

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Re: What kind of a ruckus? Could you describe the ruckus?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:51 pm

"Hate to say it, cuz I want to get going too, but we should wait for Fuzzy. Don't want to get split up too bad with the peculiar goings on..."

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:04 pm

"Yeah. You're probably right." Virginia sighed and picked herself up off of the ground, briefly glancing at the ground surface she'd ripped apart in her struggle to regain control of her body's oxygen supply. She lifted her cane from the ground and leaned on it casually.

Virginia gestured to her companion with her mug. "You want some? I'm sure there's enough for two. It's actually pretty strong shit. Gets me by at least." She smirked. "...Of course, I've only got the one cup, so you'd either have to find your own or deal with girl cooties."

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:13 pm

Jerry never went to school, and never had too much contact with other children. So, as he grabbed the mug and sipped, he said, "What're cooties?"

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:26 pm

The tea was a little bitter, but for something to be drunk primarily for medicinal purposes, it didn't taste half-bad. There are probably a few plant products in it Jerry would recognize, but the primary active agent didn't seem to come from the leaves themselves. More than likely something was done to them before they were dried and sent on their way to their boiled liquid destiny.

Virginia snickered a little. "Cooties are what keep little boys and girls away from each other. It's that intangible gross weirdness that children seem to sense in each other. Apparently it's contagious, or so the legends go." Her voice took on a tone of mock reassurance. "Don't worry. It's not something adults usually have to deal with."

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:39 pm

"Well that's a relief. Don't think I could stand it if all of those legends were true..."

Jerry took a couple more sips, then handed the mug back to Virginia. "Good stuff. I'll have to get my own cup sometime..."

Elitegamer7539

Unread postby Elitegamer7539 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:24 pm

Sam walks toward the two speaking over thier tea, still visibly confused about the situation.

"Would one of you mind explaining what exactly is going on here?"

Kai

Aren't we just a big bundle of PMS today...

Unread postby Kai » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:54 pm

She sighed and finished up the contents of her cup. "Glad you asked! Well, let's see...where to start."

I'm not in the mood for this question. He gets a bitch answer.

"Okay. Well, I was on watch when a shadowy man started down the road toward us, or...as we found out later, toward the town we came from. I woke people, which somehow didn't include you. I tried to distract him and it turns out he pissed off God and is bringing the agents of The Whatever high up on The Thing down upon us."

She pointed to the burned carcasses nearby. "Those would be them. They were swell. Then, after those were dead and our new mysterious friend --Who called himself Blasphemer of all the lovely monikers-- was pointed on to Jansen by the boys here. Edward is going after him, but the city's probably already been destroyed by God by now. Or something. Questions, comments, short jazz routines? Anything?"

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Re: Aren't we just a big bundle of PMS today...

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:10 am

Jerry couldn't resist.

"... I do a mean two step..."

Regardless of the response to that poor joke, Jerry continued, "Well, despite all that, we still gotta find Manhattan and get to Holdenburgh. With Edward. Hopefully, he'll find nothing and get himself back here immediately, cuz we should have been MUCH farther than we are now..."

And I'm starting to wonder if Hunters would have been needed on this mission if such bizarre circumstances weren't guaranteed. You don't meet God's emissaries every day...

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:19 am

------------------------------------
WITH EDWARD!
At about noon-ish(hard to tell, really, with all the clouds) with the sun (potentially) high in the sky, he rounds a bend and sees the town of Jansen in the distance.

It doesn't look particularly on fire or anything, but it's hard to tell from this distance.

AT CAMP
By noon, the corpses are all but gone- completely disintegrated. Not even their interesting smell is still around. The process was like watching burnt paper just flake away, leaving small, scorched craters where the corpses were. There won't be anything in the way of proof of their ever having existed after the next rainstorm, which, judging from the clouds, might be tonight.

If anyone's paying lots of attention, though, to the west the clouds seem a bit disturbed. What it is isn't easy to tell without either telescopic vision or a spyglass from this distance.

Edited by: The Great Nevareh at: 8/30/05 0:31

ziratha

Unread postby ziratha » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:56 am

"Weeeeeeeeeeee!" Edward has been leaping along for some time now, but apparently he hasn't gotten tired of it just yet.

At about this time, The road takes a bit of a turn and when edward follows he sees The town. Edward begins to think, Well, I dont see any mayhem, but that doesn't mean anything... Still, it might send the people the wrong message if I where to be enjoying myself when for all I know they are under attack.

At this point edward stops his leaping and returns to his origional 4 legged running.

Elitegamer7539

Unread postby Elitegamer7539 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:05 pm

Sam senses that he's hit a nerve somehow as Virginia gives her explanation, but only sighs in responce.

"So now we get to wait for him and hope he doesn't run into trouble on the way... Great."

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:22 pm

The town doesn't really appear to be under attack. It doesn't really look any different than it did yesterday when you left. How... is disappointing the right word for not finding wholesale slaughter at the hands of nightmarish beasts that spew fiery bile?

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:53 am

"Yeah, pretty much. Welcome to the land of awesome."

She sat again and pulled out her beloved notebook. Virginia didn't tend to be big on the extreme violent adventure missions, but from her point of view that book had seen a lot of action. It had notes in it from too many locations to name. From high-class bordellos to ruined universities and factories, everything she'd done and everything she'd found existed in two places: Virginia's memory and that book. If anything ever happened to her, that notebook would be the only record of the knowledge she had worked so hard to gather. It would be the only record of the people she'd spoken to, of the stories they'd told her. Without it, they too would be forgotten... and so would Virginia. She'd killed people for touching it if she didn't think they could be trusted with it. Aside from herself, it was the only thing in the world she could truly rely on. Her record.

Virginia flipped through the pages to find a piece of paper that had been folded and placed inside the back cover. It was a copy of the musical notation for Ode to Joy. She looked over to Jerry and handed it to him. "Those lyrics to the song you were singing yesterday. They're a translation that's different from the one I found. Would you write them under the German lyrics, please?" She pulled a pen from her back pocket and pulled the well-chewed cap off before handing it to him.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kai@rpgww60462>Kai</A]&nbsp; Image at: 9/5/05 2:03

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:08 am

"Oh. Oh, sure thing. I'll see what I can remember." Jerry calmed his mind, and brought the song up in his brain, and began to write.

He mumbled the words as he went along. "Joyful, joyful, yadda dadda, hmm hmm hmm hmm da da da, hearts unfold dadadadada hmm hmm la la sun above..."

He got to the end of the page, and asked. "Got any more paper? I think there are more verses..."

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:13 am

She handed him two more sheets of paper which, upon inspection, appeared to be the other pages of the song.

"There should be plenty of room under the German lyrics. Just write them in as you go. If you need help placing them with the melody as it's written I'll give you a hand. I know the tune and the German lyrics to a certain extent, but I could always use another translation."

Reading music isn't the most useful ability in the world, but it's convenient when the need arises, she thought.

ziratha

Unread postby ziratha » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:59 pm

It feels like forever, but its only been a few hours since he left, and now Edward is at the Town.

He enters the building that he and his team-mates had been briefed in and begins to search for the elder who had given them the instructions the day before.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:34 am

Jerry nodded, and kept writing. "... thou art? Was there something... yeah. Yeah! All thy works..."

As he wrote, he looked to Virginia. "Is this looking like a direct translation? Cuz then I might just memorize these words and learn... uh... well, whatever language this is. That'd be neat, wouldn't it?

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:03 am

The town hall is bereft of the Hunterjaar. However, as Edward entered the town several people eyed him strangely and looked a little spooked or panicked. The town seems otherwise pretty normal.

ziratha

re:

Unread postby ziratha » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:35 am

Edward is frustrated, and tired. So, in a step he maybe ought to have done in the first place, he decides to go to the next person he sees and asks in an official sounding and annoyed tone of voice where the hunterjaar might be located.
He will also mention offhandedly (yet loudly enough to put the worried townsfolk at ease) that he is here as a messenger for some information that has come to light. In Edwards mind he assumes the people are worried about his unexpected prescence being an omen of doom, which he assumes that mentioning his reasons will help put them at ease.
As he looks for someone to ask he wonders, in the sleep deprived portion of his mind, what if "the blasphemer" somehow managed to beat him here...The town could have been in ruin based on the powers the figure had demonstrated? However he quickly decides that if the man(?) did somehow outpace him, he must be friendly enough as the town is clearly still standing.

The Great Nevareh

Re: Rain of Ashes: After the Fall

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:20 pm

News about Edward must have traveled fairly quickly. The Hunterjaar Van Zandt, no sooner than ten minutes after Edward first entered the hall, walks up with a group of people behind him. He looks extremely worried.

"Heer Hunter, you have returned! And so soon! Did something ill befall your caravan? Is everyone all right?"

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:11 pm

Well isn't Jerry just full of surprises. I don't think he's as disinterested in history as he thinks he is. But I won't spoil that for him. Just encourage him for now. Do the boy some good to learn about other people. Kid didn't know what cooties were. Cripes.

She replied, "Well, the meanings of the words are a little different. This translation compared to the English or German-- which is what's written on this page-- isn't precisely the same, but if you're interested I'll help you with what I know of the language." She shrugged. "Don't have enough people speaking German nowadays anyway. It's not the most useful of languages, but the Germans had good music." She grinned. "Maybe if you're up for it another day I can teach you some opera."

I bet some of the higher notes in Der Holle Rache would be murder on poor Edward's ears. I can't decide if that's an incentive or a deterrant. I guess that's going to depend on whether he pisses me off or not.

"You know... I'm really sick of hanging around here waiting for Edward to get back. Assuming he's going to use the same route back here as he did to go to Jansen, we could probably head back behind him to find out what the hell is going on. Either that or we move on and let him follow us at his leisure. Whatever the case, shouldn't we be doing something? I mean, don't get me wrong. This is great. But we could probably be spending our time a little better than this."

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:12 am

"That's true," Jerry said as he finished off the last sentence. "We leave a good enough trail, and that speedy lil feller will definitely catch up to us. I'd almost be opposed, if I didn't know that 'God' would know where to find us anyways, trail or not."

He handed the papers overs, and stood solidly on his feet, staff over his shoulder. "Well? Shall we mosey?"

Elitegamer7539

Unread postby Elitegamer7539 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:06 pm

Sam had been about to mention that many medical documents he'd seen were written in German, but the conversation had moved on to a different subject just as he opened his mouth to butt in.

"Er... Between the wagon wheel ruts and my footprints, that's probably all the trail we'll need. I guess you've a point. We're doing no good here. I say we move on."

ziratha

Re:

Unread postby ziratha » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:41 pm

(ooc I will assume that the talk is uninterupted, if something should happen unexpectedly, just im me and I can edit my post appropriatly.)

Edward is slightly intimidated by the elderly man, so he does his best to speak clearly and politely. "Hunterjaar, people, There is no need for alarm, a few events have happened that made it prudent to send a messenger back here. I was chosen, as my speed will allow me to return here and later to the party more quickly than my fellow hunters could."

"First we have spotted..." Edward pauses a moment to prepare to pronounce the word, " 'Manhatten' Which as you said was late. It was seen a good days travel in the direction we were sent. I am sure that it will..." Edward was himself new to the town, so He did not know what importance the floating object had, Nor did he know what it did or what its arrival meant, so he said as simply as he could, "be a little late, but it should still follow its normal path." At this point he paused and then continued.

"There was another event that required my return, But I don't know the facts completely..." Edward was a little more comfortable speaking, but still spoke carefully as he was not used to the attention he was getting. "While on route, we encountered a...Man, A hunter I think. This man was acting very strangely, he wouldn't give us his name, and instead opted to call himself 'The blasphemer'. He said that he had angered a god. This is odd enough, but there is more, He was being pursued by some sort of ...creatures, they were flying things that seemed to be... acidic in nature."

At this point Edward was very nervous, Because he knew that this part of the story could cause a panic if told the wrong way, He suddenly thought that it might have been better to talk to the hunterjarr alone, but stopping the story now would only worry the townspeople more.

"The Creatures attacked and we defended, as they seemed to be uncaring as to who they attacked. We easily defeated them, but it seemed as if the worst of it, just outside the camp, was taken care of by the strange hunter. He seemed to have skill that only a good deal of self discipline or experience might provide. Soon enough, the battle was over and we spoke to the man."

Edward tries to be as calm as possible and cool, as he feels that any alarm in his voice or dimeanor could cause panic. "The man said that he was coming here, and he left before we could get more out of him. It was late, but we had no idea what was going on, We couldn't abbandon our mission, as doing so would likely cause difficulty during the winter. Also he moved very quickly, Meaning that I, the fastest, would likely be the only one who could catch him or beat him here, so I pursued."

Edward paused for a moment then thinks to himself , In the very worst case, if the man were dangerous, I can protect the town and stop him as he reaches the town. Then he continues his long account, "If, as I suspect, he is in need of help, then he and I can stop any of the few remaining creatures well Before they reach the town."

"Also, while we wait, the others, who are completely unharmed and likely well on their way, can finish the journey we set out to do and maybe learn of the source of the creatures." With this conclusion, Edward lets out a small yawn and hopes that he hasnt started a panic.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=ziratha>ziratha</A] at: 9/10/05 19:44

The Great Nevareh

Re: Re:

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:53 pm

Van Zandt looks incredulous, then very grave.

"This Blasphemer creature you encountered seems formidable but not ill-meaning from your account, heer Hunter. However, if you fear for us, we just recieved word that a party led by Maxwell Thray is going to be passing through here shortly. If there is genuine need, we will ask Heer Thray's party to remain here until your group's return. Do you feel that we are truly in danger, Heer Hunter?"

Kai

Robo-Kai posts!

Unread postby Kai » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:20 am

Virginia abruptly pulled all of her belongings together, taking back the sheet music from Jerry and folding it to store it back in her notebook. The rest she shoved into her backpack. She put out her fire and rubbed the inside of the pot with a couple of leaves to clean it.

"Okay. Let's get the hell out of here. It smells like burning shit."

Once again swinging her cane, she headed off, only waiting for the others for about half a minute. She assumed they would catch up. There was very little to pack up, seeing as what they had unpacked either fit in their backpacks or had been damaged by flying napalm monsters anyway.

If Edward can beat the teleporting Man of Mysterious Mystery back to Jansen, he can sure as hell catch up to us. If he wants to bitch later he can.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Re: Robo-Kai posts!

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:56 am

Jerry followed close behind, rebar staff in tow. "Does anyone here know how much farther we have to go? We can't have gotten far..."

ziratha

Unread postby ziratha » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:12 am

Edward hears what the hunterjaar says then formulates a response. "If there will be other hunters here, then I am sure they can protect the town in even the worst case. Our worry was simply that the town would be unprotected, not necasarily from the strange man, but the creatures following him."

"I would suggest for the sake of prudence that you ask the other hunters to stay simply until you have determined if the man is still going to be followed. If he is then the other hunters may be asked to stay, if he is not then they would be unneeded and may go on their way. As you now know what I know, and have heard our suspicions, I suppose you can decide if the other party should stay."

"I Know that our actions may seem somewhat... untrusting. But In our oppinion the task we were sent for would not suffer from one of us leaving for a short time, so we had only little to gain from my staying. But should all of us have stayed, we had the worst case to think about."

"To answer your question, I don't think the town is in immediate danger, but its possible that more creatures will be following the man when their initial failure is reported. If we were delayed on our mission, then they could have met an unprepared town."

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:54 pm

"I... see. I think. Very well. We shall request that Heer Thray and his party remain in our town until your return."

And now Edward has a dilemma. What does he do?
----------------------------------------------------

The caravan continues... Though nothing particularly interesting happens.

The "Flying Napalm Monsters" didn't really do much to damage the wagon or its supplies, really, but they DID kind of screw up the road a teensy bit. Working around the road's... odorous? new holes takes a bit of work and a bit of time but is far from difficult.

ziratha

Re: ANd now its time to pontificate...Zzzzzzzz

Unread postby ziratha » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:34 am

Edward smiles and finishes the conversation, "Then I may now get some rest, should anything come up in the next few hours, I should be asleep in my room. After a few hours, I will set out to catch up with the group." He adds sarcastically in his mind, They MUST be just lost without me...

Ed leaves the assembly and heads in the direction of his building, meaning to go to sleep on arriving in his room.

The Great Nevareh

Re: ANd now its time to pontificate...Zzzzzzzz

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:18 pm

"The rest of the group is STATIONARY while you're away? We sent you out to be of all possible haste! This town NEEDS a chemist if we're going to survive the winter and we need a chemist as soon as possible! Oh, this is horrible!"

Van Zandt doesn't seem to be taking this next part very well.

ziratha

No problem

Unread postby ziratha » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:46 am

"Ok, no problem, no problem. Then I will leave right now. I can rest later." says Edward with a small smile intended to put the man at ease. With that, Ed waits for a reply. If the hunterjaar has nothing more to say, edward will give an appropriate farwell.

The Great Nevareh

Re: No problem

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:48 pm

"Erm. Yes. Go. Please, heer Hunter. Herrn, Olaf, let us go. Go with the blessing of the Lord, heer Edward."

ziratha

I'm off...

Unread postby ziratha » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:29 am

Edward turns and leaves in a rapid pace. If there are no more distractions he will exit the town and start in the direction of the group.
As he is leaving he lets out a big yawn.

Kai

...*waits for something to happen*

Unread postby Kai » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:58 am

"I don't know, Jerry. All we have to do is hope that the Mysterious Man of Mystery and Vagueness doesn't show up with more angry deific bullshit after him, and that Edward eventually gets his ass there as well."

Elitegamer7539

Re: ...*waits for something to happen*

Unread postby Elitegamer7539 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:38 pm

Once again in his wagon-hauling harness, Sam trudged along behind the other two members of the group silently, his thoughts focused on Jansen.

"I wonder how much flack I'd get if I told them that disease the pahrmacist has more than likely means that entire town is screwed...?"

He dismissed the through with a shrug and decided not to find out.

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:05 pm

The group is reunited at about sunset- Edward has been on the road for awhile and it really isn't wearing well on him.

The caravan, as it moved on, covered maybe an additional 30 kilometers since they started. Going hasn't been quite as easy since it started to rain, making the road muddy and lowering the traction to the cart.

Kai

*tempts the PTB*

Unread postby Kai » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:48 pm

As the rain started to fall, Virginia tipped her hat backward to let the water run off onto her backpack rather than down into her face. This trick would only work for so long, however. Once her hat was soaked through, it would simply start running down her face anyway. She decided it was a pointless exercise, but left her hat on for now. She was also very glad that she tended to layer her clothing, as all of the shirts Virginia was wearing were white.

Well. Rain is good. Maybe I'll get clean, for what that's worth.

With that thought, she whipped off her hat and let the water fall unimpeded onto her face and arms and down through her hair. Though her skin was getting slightly cleaner, her feet and the ends of her pants were caked with mud. Luckily for Virginia, most of that dirt had been there for years. The only difference now was that it was wet.

She pulled her hair around over her shoulder and squeezed a little bit of water out of the ends of her hair. She stopped for a moment when her glasses became slightly fogged and far too wet to see out of effectively. She wiped them off on the end of her innermost shirt, since it was still dry. As she did so, she lowered her eyes to mask their glow a bit. Force of habit. She put the glasses back on and tossed her hair back over to rest on top of her backpack.

She looked back over her shoulder and gestured with her cane at the wagon. "I'm kind of hungry. I might rummage around in there for food in a bit. ...Which reminds me of something that's in no way related. Edward! You run into The Blasphemer back there at all? Next time we see him I ought to kick his ass for that crap he pulled earlier."

ziratha

Re: *tempts the PTB*

Unread postby ziratha » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:22 pm

Edward is tired, so he takes several moments longer than normal in forming a response. "Well, I didn't see... the blasphemer, But I did beat him... to town... apparently he only looked fast... Don't worry, a group of hunters was passing... through and the elder hunter-jaar agreed to ask them... to stay until our return."

Edward has never really worked this hard before, so even with his enhanced abilities, He's very tired. If he doesn't get some sleep soon... Well, collapse wasn't out of the question. So he simply said, "Hey you guys, ...Its getting late, Maybe... we could... set up camp?"

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=ziratha>ziratha</A] at: 9/29/05 16:22

Kai

Re: *tempts the PTB*

Unread postby Kai » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:54 pm

She shrugged at Edward's request. "Sure. Food and sleep are fun for the whole family." Then, in a rare display of consideration for another sentient creature, "You take last watch so you can at least get some sleep. We'll cover the early watches. Going first seemed to do well for me last time, so I'll do that again. Jerry and Sam can fight over second and third watches."

Virginia tossed her cane from one hand to the other. "Besides. If I go first, maybe it'll stop raining by the time I'm done and I can at least be somewhat dry when I try and get my share of sleep."

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs